Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Mr. Squishy posted:

Part of the Beeb's London season (AKA their commitment to annoying the regions) was a Natural World on the wildlife of London. An attempt to rip off C4's Springwatch rip off, which was focused entirely on urban foxes. Although it's always nice to see expensive cameras pointed at bird and beast, it's definitely a program to watch on mute. The narrator's script and accompanying soundtrack is uninspired and mawkish. You'd be loving amazed at how diverse London is, with such multiple cultures as pigeons, parakeets and canada geese. It's divided into segments hosted by a hobbiest experts. They presumably contacted the BBC, meaning that they dictate the show's content, rather than a director who'd then source experts. They're a mixed bag, with the nadir being two seperate pensioners who throw food to foxes (or am I alone in finding that gross and creepy?), but the weirdo describing (with voices) the courtship of pigeons deserves special mention. They even took the pigeon v pelican video and broadcast it, intercut with original shots and spooky music playing on top.
Fatally they coyly alluded to terrapins being made fashionable by "a ninja cartoon", when any fule no that they were heroes in Britain.

This is a bit of a tangent, but your first comments about mawkish music reminded me of the Attenborough series/Planet Earth follow-up 'Life'. It's the only Blu-Ray I actually own, and the footage they have is loving gorgeous, but I've never seen a nature doc with such sentimental, over-done and irritating music. The composer seems to want to anthropomorphise (spl) the behaviour of these animals, by, e.g., playing a yearning Spanish guitar melody during the courtship rituals of water-birds, or playing a military march while dolphins catch fish.

Combined with the way that it's directed and narrated, 'Life' tries to cram a human narrative down your throat by taking an almost Karl Pilkinton-esque take on the desires and motivations of animals and it's a real shame, because they filmed so much natural beauty.

Rant over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
His many bit parts please me because I can go "Hey, it's The Actor Kevin Eldon!" in every comedy show, and nobody in my house will know why I say it :smith:

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Not quite as good as when Little Britain became popular and you could say "Hey it's Big Boy Barry's best mate Leslie" about David Walliams. Then the 10 people who watched Gamesworld would nod their heads, stroke their chins and reminisce about Jet from Gladiators.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Giedroyc posted:

Not quite as good as when Little Britain became popular and you could say "Hey it's Big Boy Barry's best mate Leslie" about David Walliams. Then the 10 people who watched Gamesworld would nod their heads, stroke their chins and reminisce about Jet from Gladiators.

My brain started exploring all the games tv I'd subjected it to as a child when I remembered the games journalist Dave Perry, purveyor of a early-90s style American flag bandana which covered his presumably ginger hair. I recall him dying very quickly on GamesMaster and Dominik Diamond ripping the piss out of him, with Perry saying that a games reviewer doesn't have to be good at games.

Would anybody on earth watch a show where men play games these days? I doubt it. I think part of the popularity back then was the thrill of seeing games you'd never seen/heard of in motion. These days games have trailers and are accessible years ahead of release on youtube.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

90s game journalism was so much fun... Dave 'The Animal' Perry was just a train wreck, Radeon Automatic had insanely daft hair, Stuart Campbell was (and still is) a very angry person... then you've got Mr Biffo of Digitiser, Diamond himself who was always entertaining and Julian 'Jaz' Rignall who just seemed to be everywhere.

I doubt it's anywhere near as fun now :(

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mr Biffo is/was/forever shall be a legend.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Was it Dave Perry or Dave Gibbons who Biffo was aiming at with "Insincere Dave"? I can never remember.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Speaking of the 90s (and I'm not sure if this is the place for it) but a friend wrote a book about Cluub Zarathustra, a little experimental comedy club in Islington that contained a lot of relatively famous comics before they were really famous in the 90s (Stewart Lee and Robert Mann, for example).

From asking around, not people knew about it, but it sounds like it was absolutely strange, with the comedians figuring out new ways to humiliate the audience. According to Stewart Lee it was both "the best thing and worst thing I've ever worked on." I believe they did film a pilot for a TV show but it, maybe not surprisingly, never took off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I had completely forgotten about Dave Perry, you've reminded me how much I wanted him to die. He really did ooze prick from every pore.

The pHo posted:

90s game journalism was so much fun... Dave 'The Animal' Perry was just a train wreck, Radeon Automatic had insanely daft hair, Stuart Campbell was (and still is) a very angry person... then you've got Mr Biffo of Digitiser, Diamond himself who was always entertaining and Julian 'Jaz' Rignall who just seemed to be everywhere.

I doubt it's anywhere near as fun now :(

I don't know, I would imagine that the quality of bribes has increased over the years as the stakes got higher.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
You can't have a discussion about video games on TV and overlook the glory that was Gamezville.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Biffo stole my joke about how Bits should be called Bints once.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Alan BStard posted:

You can't have a discussion about video games on TV and overlook the glory that was Gamezville.

Hah I was on an episode of gamezville. My friend knew someone who worked on it so me and a couple of friends went on and reviewed a game (can't remember what it was) then had to cheer on some people playing midtown madness. I've never actually seen it so I have no idea what it was like.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I remember getting a letter in the post about being on GamesWorld, but my parents didn't want to take me all the way to London :smith:

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
GamesWorld featuring the forgotten legend that is Bob Mills? And not forgetting Big Boy Barry & Jet from Gladiators.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't know, I would imagine that the quality of bribes has increased over the years as the stakes got higher.

I can't remember what site it was, but at one point Biffo had a forum and I posted a thread asking him what he made of the whole Driv3r fiasco, and probably put forth the opinion that the journalists involved were spineless weasels with no backbones. One poster replied with just 'oval office'... did a bit of clicking and found out he was the one who wrote the review that started it all off. Quite proud of that one!

Junkenstein posted:

Biffo stole my joke about how Bits should be called Bints once.

I'm not surprised, I had a conversation with him on AIM once (he listed his email address as being @aol.com for a while so I added him to my buddy list, and one day he popped up). He encouraged me to steal things from my 6th form work placement :D

It's worth watching the BBC 3 Biffovision pilot, it's not brilliant but it has it's moments. 'Scranton K' being a particular favourite as it was the most Digi like. Dr Derek Doctors was on it too, but with a slightly different name that didn't really work.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Dreylad posted:

Speaking of the 90s (and I'm not sure if this is the place for it) but a friend wrote a book about Cluub Zarathustra, a little experimental comedy club in Islington that contained a lot of relatively famous comics before they were really famous in the 90s (Stewart Lee and Robert Mann, for example).

From asking around, not people knew about it, but it sounds like it was absolutely strange, with the comedians figuring out new ways to humiliate the audience. According to Stewart Lee it was both "the best thing and worst thing I've ever worked on." I believe they did film a pilot for a TV show but it, maybe not surprisingly, never took off.

Pilot's on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwCkqla1PA

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Haha awesome. God this is terrible. And great.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 19, 2012

SuperFurryAnimal
May 10, 2004
Super Furry Animal
I think my childhood ended the day Big Boy Barry's Leslie and his new mate pretty much killed off Dominik Diamond's tv career live on air.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

SuperFurryAnimal posted:

I think my childhood ended the day Big Boy Barry's Leslie and his new mate pretty much killed off Dominik Diamond's tv career live on air.

What a pair of pricks. Their own success was largely because other BBC3 shows had failed to attract the audience the beeb wanted (hello Swiss Toni) or were too experimental (Monkey Dust) so they needed something simple and marketable to shove down people's throats to get them interested in the channel. So they chose Little Britain, which was the same show every week with one joke (pirate memory) and pushed the gently caress out of it in mainstream BBC1 adverts for weeks during the early evening. Which is not something the typical comedy show on BBC2 gets in the way of marketing/exposure before airing yet alone BBC3. To make the show a bigger hit they simply removed the one joke they had for S2/S3.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
The Bachelor UK (series 5)

The fifth series will air on Channel 5 from the 29th of June, 2012.

Bachelor: Spencer Mathews, star of Made in Chelsea

Anyone else looking forward to seeing Spenny on the show?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Stewart Lee appeared on Richard Herring's podcast this week, which you can download here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Elphiem posted:

Anyone else looking forward to seeing Spenny on the show?

There's only one Spenny, and he hangs around with a man named Kenny.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The pHo posted:

There's only one Spenny, and he hangs around with a man named Kenny.

Does Kenny vs Spenny actually air in the UK?

I'm surprised, since there was that one season of Ed vs Spencer over there in the same format... I can never imagine it working with other people, though. :\

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It was on FX for a while.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember reading about Ed vs Spencer but I never saw it, the first few seasons of Kenny vs Spenny were amazing fun though. I should grab some of the later episodes to see if it kept it up.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The pHo posted:

I remember reading about Ed vs Spencer but I never saw it, the first few seasons of Kenny vs Spenny were amazing fun though. I should grab some of the later episodes to see if it kept it up.

You can kind of see that the show has strained their friendship to a breaking point as the show goes on, which can be hard to watch at times, but it stays outrageous enough to still be entertaining. Haha.

I'd say the earlier seasons are definitely more fun, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Elphiem posted:

The Bachelor UK (series 5)

We've had 5 seasons of the Bachelor in the UK? :stare:

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
There's a show called The Bachelor in the UK?

Do we even use that word? Should be renamed The Available Man.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
People used to be confirmed bachelors back when being gay was illegal.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
BBC4's foreign drama block returns to Spiral, with S2 starting on Saturday, the French cop show is the only one I've managed to catch from the start, I enjoyed it, and learned the French for "fisting" (feest-fwcking).
Edit - Forget that, it's episodes 5&6, fuuuck, why doesn't someone shove adverts down my throat 15 Million Credits style? I miss so much stuff :(

Attack The Block is on Ch4 on Sunday, 10pm.

Monday, for those with Sky Atlantic, has Armando Ianucci double bill of Alan Partridge and Veep.

The Sky Guide's been updated, anyone found a way to display more than 8 channels at a time? Urghh, hate this bullshit. Looks like the main reason has been to highlight our options to rent poo poo.

incredible bear fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 20, 2012

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Handsome Dead posted:

It was on FX for a while.

I just watched FX for King Of The Hill.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

SeanBeansShako posted:

That and "ohh there's an episode of the Wire on, I wonder which one it is..." and then watching the entire thing regardless, even though I know the whole thing pretty much by heart :)

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Is there anywhere I can see that Dom Diamond / Mash & Peas thing? The embedded videos in that article have been taken down.

incredible bear posted:

There's a show called The Bachelor in the UK?

Do we even use that word? Should be renamed The Available Man.

There's this guy, Cliff Richard...

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SeanBeansShako posted:

In the early days, it just seemed to be that and the Adam West Batman, making it probably the best channel ever to have existed on Sky.

Handsome Dead fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 21, 2012

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

Rarity posted:

We've had 5 seasons of the Bachelor in the UK? :stare:

Wikipedia says series 5 starts on the 29th.

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!
Has anyone been watching True Love on BBC One?

I caught a bit of the one featuring David Tennant when it was on telly and I've just watched the one featuring Billie Piper as the main character on iPlayer.

Billie's character (Holly) plays a teacher who falls in love with her student, played by Skin's actress Kaya Scoledario.

I watched it for obvious, pervy, reasons, but I was also curious to see how the story unfolded.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

thexerox123 posted:

Does Kenny vs Spenny actually air in the UK?

I'm surprised, since there was that one season of Ed vs Spencer over there in the same format... I can never imagine it working with other people, though. :\

It didn't work as well, but was amusing at least. Both shows were on one of Sky's various channels before they got repeats on FX

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007

AuguryOwl posted:

Has anyone been watching True Love on BBC One?

I caught a bit of the one featuring David Tennant when it was on telly and I've just watched the one featuring Billie Piper as the main character on iPlayer.

Billie's character (Holly) plays a teacher who falls in love with her student, played by Skin's actress Kaya Scoledario.

I watched it for obvious, pervy, reasons, but I was also curious to see how the story unfolded.

The 5 were only very tenuously (and unnecessarily) connected with characters from one episode making a token appearance in another episode.

I though it was pretty rubbish to be honest, 30 minutes is just to short for the sort of drama it was trying to be and there seemed to be very little chemistry between the 'love' characters in each episode. The last episode was marginally better.

Considering the quality of the cast the Beeb obviously cut their losses as well, airing the last 2 episodes back to back finishing at half 11 last night.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I thought the Billie one was quite sweet. I mean there was hardly any substance to it and it was short for what it was, but it was still emotive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I really went into "True Love" with zero expectations other than "Oh the cast looks amazing" and I'm pretty happy with it. Its just simple, straightforward stories centering around love and relationships and its works purely because the actors have great chemistry with each other and the dialogue feels so naturalistic (which makes sense given that it was apparently improvised).