Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Non Sequitur posted:

Not quite. The later Stuarts were pretty friendly to France, partly because the French had taken in the exiled royal family during the Commonwealth. They worked together in the Third Anglo-Dutch War, among other things. Following the Glorious Revolution, there was basically 150 years of English-French enmity, but the War of the Quadruple Alliance was a brief exception.

I think that here we're probably defining the 'modern nations' as being post Napoleon, ie. the point at which foreign policy in both countries fell under the remit of elected governments and not Kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009

Kemper Boyd posted:

It's worth noting that the US-trained Georgian army turned out to be utterly worthless at fighting a more conventional war against the Russians during the Georgian war, since the Georgian army had pretty strong focus on building up light infantry to be used for counterinsurgency warfare. That's fairly recent military history.

I was thinking something along those lines, but upon further reading it's a 'kind of'. It's true that the Georgian army was US trained primarily for deployment in stability operations, and it's true that the Russians fought along a classical Soviet model (moving in column, attacking from the lead elements, etc.) And it's true that the Russians won.

However, generally the Georgians did very well at the tactical level and very poorly at the strategic level, while generally the Russians did very poorly at the tactical level (with the exception of their airborne/special forces) and very well at the strategic level.

So my understanding is that the Georgians were so thoroughly out strategized that even US training in how to fight a conventional war would have done much good.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

High Fidel posted:

Spotting rounds only need to be fired once from a position. Since the artillery units usually hold their position for a while it is likely that they can start with the barrage, since calibrating the guns with a spotting round is usually the first task a unit is given. I feel kinda stupid writing this, considering your nickname.

Spotting rounds as in "rounds in adjustment" rather than rounds to sight in the gun. So whats going to happen is:
1) FO calls in fire mission.
2) FDC(Fire Direction Center or somethign) receives; calculates gun angles, charge, aziumuth.
3) FDC relays targeting information to gun line
4) Gun line fires, FDC informs FO rounds incoming(so called spotting rounds)
5) FO observes impacts, sends corrections to FDC or tells the FDC rounds were good and to "fire for effect".

There is a whole formal script for how the FDC and the FO are supposed to interact on the radio.

Comrade_Robot posted:

I was thinking something along those lines, but upon further reading it's a 'kind of'. It's true that the Georgian army was US trained primarily for deployment in stability operations, and it's true that the Russians fought along a classical Soviet model (moving in column, attacking from the lead elements, etc.) And it's true that the Russians won.

However, generally the Georgians did very well at the tactical level and very poorly at the strategic level, while generally the Russians did very poorly at the tactical level (with the exception of their airborne/special forces) and very well at the strategic level.

So my understanding is that the Georgians were so thoroughly out strategized that even US training in how to fight a conventional war would have done much good.

At the lower levels, the skills to fight a counter-insurgency overlap with the skills to fight a conventional conflict. The inverse is not true.

vains fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 18, 2012

Jiriam
Mar 5, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Are there any books writen about the Georgian/russian conflict? Or accessible theories on how modern conventional warfare might look?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Can someone tell me why the Crusades was so unsuccessful? I mean all of them,why was there so many of them in the first place?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Jiriam posted:

Are there any books writen about the Georgian/russian conflict? Or accessible theories on how modern conventional warfare might look?

You could always watch 5 Days of War. Or not, it's one of the most blatant examples of propaganda I've ever seen. A truly repugnant piece of cinema.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Supeerme posted:

Can someone tell me why the Crusades was so unsuccessful? I mean all of them,why was there so many of them in the first place?

Its all about logistics, the italian states weren't really ready to transport alot of warriors across the continent and sustain it for free, the byzantines weren't expecting the crusaders would hog them down. There is alot of other factors as well, but i guess logistics is the biggest thing, and the lack of crusader diplomacy.

Edit: To elaborate further, surprisingly the arabs weren't very unfamiliar, they employed similiar tactics to the europeans in military warfare, divisions of infantry, archers, cavalry and such, pretty familiar stuff, however the only thing that they weren't exactly used to where probably the turkish dog fighting tactics.

Fizzil fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 19, 2012

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Supeerme posted:

It was extremely successful! The Crusades allowed Christian kingdoms to directly communicate with Middle Eastern Muslim states, opening an immense amount of trade routes that didn't exist before them. This allowed the exchange of not only material goods but philosophical and scientific ideas that allowed European states to develop from their comparative backwardness and gave the Iberians the techniques to create boats that could explore vast amounts of seas.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You could always watch 5 Days of War. Or not, it's one of the most blatant examples of propaganda I've ever seen. A truly repugnant piece of cinema.

Clearly you haven't seen Act of Valor.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Boiled Water posted:

Having just watched this movie, that's exactly what came to mind. It's incredibly blatant and heavy handed.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Was there a "lost generation" of Americans after the civil war? I tend to watch westerns and imagine the characters as ptsd'd veterans. Is there literature about this?

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

Supeerme posted:

The first ones weren't unsuccessful at all.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Boiled Water posted:

No I haven't, but I have trouble imagining that it's as openly vile. 5 Days of War could more accurately have been called "Attack of The Dirty Baby-eating Commie Rape Monsters".

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Alekanderu posted:

The first ones weren't unsuccessful at all.

2nd one bombed, I'm afraid. Well, unless you count the Norwegian Crusade.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
E: Should probably quote the right post!

Jiriam posted:

One useful thing to remember when if you're interested abuot topics of this kind, military stuff, government policy, etc. is that there are institutions inside the US government that make their papers and studies publicly available. In this case you can check out this paper from Strategic Studies Institute of the US Army War College.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 19, 2012

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Was there a "lost generation" of Americans after the civil war? I tend to watch westerns and imagine the characters as ptsd'd veterans. Is there literature about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Mans-Land-Susan-Campbell-Bartoletti/dp/059038371X

I'm pretty sure if a realistic version of this kid's life after the Civil War was written, he would probably be pretty hosed up in the head. He was already in the war for a pretty stupid reason.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

EvanSchenck posted:

One useful thing to remember when if you're interested abuot topics of this kind, military stuff, government policy, etc. is that there are institutions inside the US government that make their papers and studies publicly available. In this case you can check out this paper from Strategic Studies Institute of the US Army War College.

I got real excited for a second and thought 'SSI wrote about the Crusades?! I may have a career after all!' Breaking my heart man :smith:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Can anyone tell me about the use of camels in the US Army? I saw a book at Barnes and Noble the other day about how the army experimented with camelry in the west during the early/mid 1800s for...well I don't know. Fighting natives? General transportation? The wikipedia article about it is pretty short and I was hoping one of you guys had some more knowledge.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

I got real excited for a second and thought 'SSI wrote about the Crusades?! I may have a career after all!' Breaking my heart man :smith:

Yeah, whoops, quoted the wrong post. Sorry to disappoint you. History degrees aren't good for getting a job (I should know), but on the plus side they're pretty good for impressing people on the internet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it true that during the Battle of France when the allied resistance started collapsing after Dunkirk, Churchill offered an official union between Great Britain and France? That would have been weird.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it true that during the Battle of France when the allied resistance started collapsing after Dunkirk, Churchill offered an official union between Great Britain and France? That would have been weird.

Yes.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

Civil war vets by and large were pretty well taken care of by the standards of the day. There isnt much to go on as far as PTSD and the like but in general they did a pretty good job of reintegrating back into society.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The idea wasn't Churchill's, but he gave it his support at Charles de Gaulle's request as the French government was vacillating between armistice and continuing to fight, and a declaration of union was seen as the only concrete way to convince the French PM that UK would not abandon France even after a military defeat. Prime Minister Reynaud embraced the deal but his government rejected it, as they saw it as English opportunist pigs trying to steal their colonies while leaving metropolitan France run over by Germans. As a result Reynaud resigned and Pétain formed a new government.

In a similar way and at the same time, after Winter War and following German occupation of Norway and Denmark, there was discussion in Sweden and Finland of a union. King of Sweden would have been the head of state while Marshall Mannerheim would have been the commander in chief of armed forces. The union was shot down by German and Soviet governments.

murderDEATHkill
Apr 29, 2011

by angerbot

canuckanese posted:

Can anyone tell me about the use of camels in the US Army? I saw a book at Barnes and Noble the other day about how the army experimented with camelry in the west during the early/mid 1800s for...well I don't know. Fighting natives? General transportation? The wikipedia article about it is pretty short and I was hoping one of you guys had some more knowledge.

From what I've heard, and this is recollected from a vague memory, it was for efficient transporting situations. I doubt people rode around on camelbacks loading the muzzle rifles in the heat of southwestern territory battles..

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Is there a more :psyduck: era in military history than the War Lord period in China?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Supeerme posted:

The first one was actually successful, and by far. What set it apart from all the later crusades was the lack of unity among the Muslims (for reasons I can't quite remember), which changed after the first.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The fourth crusade was extremely successful, even more so than the first one.

loot = success
VVVV

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 19, 2012

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

The fourth crusade was extremely successful, even more so than the first one.

Define "successful", cause if you mean "looting and pillaging Constantinople" then yes, if you mean "actually reaching the holy land' then no.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If Saladin never came into the picture and unified the Muslim states I wonder what would have happened.

I need to play more Crusader Kings.

Blckdrgn
May 28, 2012
Something I'm curious about, how did early (American Revolutionary War Era) mortars work? Same as what the concept would be come, cannons pointed up?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blckdrgn posted:

Something I'm curious about, how did early (American Revolutionary War Era) mortars work? Same as what the concept would be come, cannons pointed up?

They were really simple. Short metal tube that held some gunpowder and threw a bigass round shot way up into the air at a steep angle. Around this time explosive shells with very dangerous manual fuses were being used, mortars were well adapted for this kind of ammunition.

The Last of the Mohicans has a nice rendition of this.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

While reading Crucible of War I discovered that that whole siege and ensuing massacre as they left the fort actually happened and was, suprisingly, pretty accurately portrayed by the movie.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Kemper Boyd posted:

It's worth noting that the US-trained Georgian army turned out to be utterly worthless at fighting a more conventional war against the Russians during the Georgian war, since the Georgian army had pretty strong focus on building up light infantry to be used for counterinsurgency warfare. That's fairly recent military history.

Even if the Georgians were trained with heavy weapons and tactics and had the best NATO style mechanized armor in the world, they would have been hosed maybe in 9 days rather than six.

You're also ignoring the fact that the best trained, led and equipped brigade was off in OIF anyhow.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

bewbies posted:

They were really simple. Short metal tube that held some gunpowder and threw a bigass round shot way up into the air at a steep angle. Around this time explosive shells with very dangerous manual fuses were being used, mortars were well adapted for this kind of ammunition.

The Last of the Mohicans has a nice rendition of this.

I always wondered how historically accurate that part of the movie was, considering it was filled with fintlock super human aiming powers.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If Saladin never came into the picture and unified the Muslim states I wonder what would have happened.

Saladin didn't personally unify the Muslim states. His family served the Zengids, a powerful Turkish dynasty. It was actually the Zengids who unified Syria, northern Mesopotamia, and Egypt. Following the death of his uncle, Saladin acted as their deputy in Egypt. Eventually he decided he wanted to rule in his own right and consequently had a falling out with his liege in Damascus, Nur ad Din. In fact, the approximate issue was that Saladin had failed to support attacks on the Crusader states, because he hoped that having the Kingdom of Jerusalem between him and Syria would help him retain his independence in Egypt. Nur ad Din was on the point of invading Egypt to depose Saladin when he died of a sudden illness. His heir was only a child, and Saladin was able to politically outmaneuver the remaining Zengid loyalists, and finally he controlled both Syria and Egypt (unifying them after he had split them). Then he went after the Crusaders.

Saladin was an individual of exceptional capabilities, but if he had never lived, or if Nur ad Din had survived and defeated him, it's most likely that the Zengids would have retained Egypt and Syria and themselves crushed the Crusader states.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Retarded Pimp posted:

I always wondered how historically accurate that part of the movie was, considering it was filled with fintlock super human aiming powers.

Well to be fair at least the main character was using a flintlock rifle instead of just a regular musket... the speed with which he reloads it (at least once while running at the same time) seems a lot more superhuman though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

In a similar way and at the same time, after Winter War and following German occupation of Norway and Denmark, there was discussion in Sweden and Finland of a union. King of Sweden would have been the head of state while Marshall Mannerheim would have been the commander in chief of armed forces. The union was shot down by German and Soviet governments.

Aww, that would have been pretty cool. :(

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

bewbies posted:

Civil war vets by and large were pretty well taken care of by the standards of the day. There isnt much to go on as far as PTSD and the like but in general they did a pretty good job of reintegrating back into society.

Considering things like PTSD were written off as "soldier's heart", nostalgia, homesickness or nerves, it's hard to say. In 1863 the Union started sending mentally ill soldiers home by putting them on trains with their name and home destination pinned to their jackets and it caused a bit of outcry because (obviously) a bunch of them ended up wandering around as vagrants. It led to the first mental hospital being built and the director was surprised at the level of demand for mental facilities.

Industrialization, modernized warfare and the development of contemporary health services and infrastructure are all deeply intertwined in ways that can't really be simply picked apart, but there's a clear correlation in the rise of industrialized warfare and the appearance of large numbers of cases of people who experienced some degree of psychological trauma as a result of battle.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Industrialization, modernized warfare and the development of contemporary health services and infrastructure are all deeply intertwined in ways that can't really be simply picked apart, but there's a clear correlation in the rise of industrialized warfare and the appearance of large numbers of cases of people who experienced some degree of psychological trauma as a result of battle.

Really? Because I'd love to see the data on pre-industrial warfare on which this correlation would be based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Koesj posted:

Really? Because I'd love to see the data on pre-industrial warfare on which this correlation would be based.

It's simple logistics. Pre-industrial countries simply did not have the means to supply troop movements in the scale industrialized countries can. For example, the Grande Armee of Napoleon was 600,000 men at the height of its power. An estimated 65 million soldiers took part in World War 1. It's not surprising the latter war sees more PTSD cases.

You can also look at the medical care available to ordinary people pre-ACW. As medical care became more widely available, the documented cases of PSTD naturally rise in number.

• Locked thread