Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

Avid car enthusiast. Played the trombone. Middle manager at Schlepco. Trust me, you guys are it.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I hope my obit is amusing to whatever person slaps open their internet browser to that page that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I'm down for checking out a race or riding around. I've mainly avoided it cuz I ride a Blast :downs:

Bucephalus posted:

Bike is hibernating while I work out some personal issues. No ETA. :(

Ride two up with me.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Pretty sure I need to make it so my KLR doesn't sound like a Huey, not sure what to do about the rest. It seems like if the CHP wants to be a pile of shits then they can do it.

Sounds like others have been pulled over for reflectors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruCPZ6X3cN0
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/speeding-tickets-street-racing/3982-update-red-rear-reflector-ticket-cali.html
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=47594

Probably worth taking a few steps to fly under the radar but my immediate feeling is that I should go buy a Street Triple and go ride wheelies with open headers.

Reading about this further, it looks like police agencies around the country are jumping on "motorcycle safety violations" because of how readily they yield revenue. Apparently they even do "mod stops" from time to time, this one at 4 Corners in Santa Cruz, CA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGXVSriVII

Here are just some of the things they can get you for: http://www.cbr250.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-2680.html

Just a heads-up. I think I will have to take some steps to make my bike more low-profile. Quieter exhaust is easy, reflectors are easy. I also need to make a mental note to just keep out of sight of cops. There's no loss in staying a few lanes over and a few carlengths behind if I see them ahead.

Edit: I should be fair. City cops are fine. Never had issues with a barely legal dirt bike in San Francisco, and so far no problems in Oakland. CHP is just a bunch of meter maids.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jun 20, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

MotoMind posted:

Good lord the CHP motor cops are a bunch of little Hitlers. I was riding up Hwy 24 in afternoon commute traffic when I see a motor cop ahead. I have an exit to take so I roll up to his right and as I pass I give him a little wave. He responds by swinging behind me and turning on his lights and siren. I pull over and stop, and he starts by telling me that "that motorcycle cannot be on the street." I tell him it is a Kawasaki KLR650. He explains that it may have been at some point, but the muffler is not stock, the plate is vertical, and it lacks the tiny red reflectors on the rear sides and the tiny amber reflectors on the forks. I state that those things can be fixed, no problem, and he says it's much more serious than a fix-it ticket and asks for my license and registration and insurance. I produce those, he bitches about an old address on my license. Then I get a long lecture on how nothing on my motorcycle is legal, blah blah blah, and to park it when I get home. And then he gives back my papers and rolls away. No ticket, no warning. Nothing.

My strategy with cops is to play an adept pupil, but the whole experience is moderately humiliating. If he had written me a ticket then at least I'd have something to show for it, but instead all I got was verbal jizz in my ear.

Pretty sure I need to make it so my KLR doesn't sound like a Huey, not sure what to do about the rest. It seems like if the CHP wants to be a pile of shits then they can do it.

Sounds like others have been pulled over for reflectors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruCPZ6X3cN0
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/speeding-tickets-street-racing/3982-update-red-rear-reflector-ticket-cali.html
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=47594

Probably worth taking a few steps to fly under the radar but my immediate feeling is that I should go buy a Street Triple and go ride wheelies with open headers.

Really sorry to hear that happened to you. :(

I have a serious dislike and distrust of CHP. Not because I break laws but because enforcing the law is completely up to the officer. To me that just reeks of corruption. Pulling people over for something like speeding or no deflector is just plain malicious and it just further makes citizens not trust cops. The fact that I feel nervous talking to somebody meant to protect me shows the system is hosed.

A state just recently passed a law that allows citizens to use deadly force defending their homes from law enforcement that enter without a warrant. Good, in my opinion. Just because you have a badge doesn't give you the right to be a shitlord.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was stopped recently by a CHP while on my 636, I was indeed going over the limit but hey it's an empty road at night that I commute on all the time and could probably almost do it blindfolded.

Thankfully it was in the middle of the night and they're mostly looking for DUIs and obviously don't drink'n ride.

Anyways they commented on my front blinkers which i'm fairly sure aren't DOT legal but hey they look cool and blend into the bike well and well they blink orange and are just as visible as stockers imo. They thought it was stock and moved on anyways. No ticket for anything.

Separate incident but a few years ago I was stopped on my CBR F2 after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge by a CHP on a BMW, he said I didn't stop to pay the toll but I told him the bike and plate were all registered under fastrak and they just automatically deduct it from a prepaid account. Oddly enough this man of the law didn't even know it worked like that! Anyways he kinda commented how it was cool that I rode an "older" bike, even though there are plenty of 90s CBRs around.

It seems about 50/50 with the CHP, some are dicks, the worst ones are the ones that just get your license/reg/insurance don't say anything and just hand you the ticket. I think you learn your lessons better when they let you off with a warning, especially if you're polite to them. Writing tickets these days just makes you think they're trying to generate revenue with California' current economy.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd rather they just have something called a "CHP tax" where they take $100 out of your annual paycheck and they stop ticketing people cross the board for bullshit like "speeding". I think most people would agree to that and they'd end up making way, way, way more money.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Recently I had a different experience with the police. I was in an abandoned parking lot early in the morning when I cop rolled through and started heading in my direction, so I rolled up to his window.

:cop:: Foolin' around a bit?

:silent:: Um, yeah.

:cop:: ...don't kill yourself.

:d: Thanks!

He sat in the front of the lot talking to one of his cop buddies while I pulled wheelies and stoppies for 45 minutes.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
"Dear Jesus, Please send me some real gear."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2012/06/19/nl-motorcycle-safety-bike-blessing-619.html

quote:

Peter Dawe has been riding a motorcycle for 24 years. He said he had numerous close calls until he started getting his bike blessed 10 years go.

"My bike wasn't getting blessed back then, so it must be working," he said with a laugh.

As a sidenote, do you guys notice a seasonal backlash against motorcyclists once the spring riding season picks up? Every year it seems like people lose their poo poo over all the reckless young teenagers doing 300kph on their rocket ships which should be outlawed.
Then 20 men aged 50+ die/nearly die when they couldn't navigate their thousand pound cruiser around a gentle curve on the highway and nobody has anything to say...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

milkdrinkers
Wouldn't it be Horchata, or is that not far enough south?

I love Horchata.

Xovaan posted:

I'd rather they just have something called a "CHP tax" where they take $100 out of your annual paycheck and they stop ticketing people cross the board for bullshit like "speeding". I think most people would agree to that and they'd end up making way, way, way more money.

That makes sense! Less driving around, wasting gas, more downtime to deal with real crimes...
You might be on to something.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

epalm posted:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now:

Why are bikes so unreliable?

Like a bunch of people here, I've never had any problem with bikes leaving me stranded. So I think you're as likely as not starting from a false premise.

Marv Hushman posted:

As a father with kids old enough to be squids, I know where your dad is coming from.

As a father with kids not old enough to be squids, I know where his dad is coming from! :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

It wasn't a mootmoot reference? I want to believe!

I've been commuting on a motard lately with NON oem tail lights. It feels conspicuous as gently caress, even with both wheels on the ground. A bike cop nodded back today, though.

Non OEM is fine, no? Its non-dot that is worrisome.

Although I suppose those are often the same thing......

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Non OEM is fine, no?

I think some states are super picky about modifying motorcycles.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Man, poo poo is not nearly so bad around here (Seattle), at least in my experience. Hell, not long ago I was at a bike night (Capitol Hillclimb, a smaller hipstery-er Backfire Moto Night wannabe, I guess) chatting with an SPD officer that was out on foot patrol.

Modified bikes rolling by and starting up and revving and making some incredibly loud noises and he didn't bat an eyelash, didn't give a single poo poo about all the violations going on (so many bikes without appropriate lights, mirrors, fenders, with cartoonishly loud exhausts, etc). Maybe because he was a city cop and not State Patrol, but it was like he didn't even know it was illegal. Or he was a cool dude!

And earlier in the night some dumbass was rolling up and down the block doing bunnyhops on his moped and crashed - without a helmet - and slammed his noggin pretty good while his sliding 'ped scratched a parked car. Ambulance/fire/cops showed up, he declined treatment, and even though the responding cop (different from the guy above) could've found 40 witnesses he didn't even bother talking to the guy. Just asked some onlookers what happened and went back to his cruiser.

Maybe the trend here is actually that Seattle cops don't give a poo poo about anything.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Maybe the trend here is actually that Seattle cops don't give a poo poo about anything.

Unless you're homeless and/or a minority.

SPD doesn't really seem to do much in the way of traffic patrol/enforcement in the city unless you're doing something really egregious, which is great. Speed traps and such are a pretty rare sight on anything but the interstates, and then you're dealing with the state patrol and not SPD anyway. But even on the interstates within Seattle city limits, there's almost never any enforcement. I guess they just assume that all the oblivious idiots doing 5-10 under while failing spectacularly at merging will slow everyone down enough (and during the day, they'd be right).

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 20, 2012

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

astrollinthepork posted:

Ride two up with me.

You'll need one hell of a bike, I weigh 300 lbs. :btroll:

Thanks for the offer, but no; to avoid vomiting E/N content all over this forum, I'll just say that I'm not ready to ride right now, and leave it at that.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Just link to your e/n thread then so we can contribute helpful advice (i.e. abuse).

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
There is none. I'm too old for that poo poo, and I've got a great support system.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Niven posted:

As a sidenote, do you guys notice a seasonal backlash against motorcyclists once the spring riding season picks up? Every year it seems like people lose their poo poo over all the reckless young teenagers doing 300kph on their rocket ships which should be outlawed.
Then 20 men aged 50+ die/nearly die when they couldn't navigate their thousand pound cruiser around a gentle curve on the highway and nobody has anything to say...

The latter typically does not involve a Dukes of Hazzard high speed pursuit that amplifies the original public safety threat tenfold.

If you want to gauge the feelings of the non-riding populace, read the comments section of articles on either type of accident. Be prepared to feel like you're in a leper colony. They have no clue and no sympathy. There is also an element of glee, smarm, and armchair expertise when the victim was sans helmet. It's a topic worthy of debate, but there's a time and place.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I don't wish for anyone to get hurt riding, but I'll admit when I read an article about a motorcycle death and it mentions those involved were not wearing helmets I can't help but roll my eyes and mutter 'of course'.

I have a much harder time feeling sorry for those involved in those accidents as well. Their families I feel for, but I have a hard time finding compassion for the killed helmetless.

I'm not proud of it but I can admit it. It's the same lack of compassion I feel for a squid who loses all his skin or a drunk not wearing a seat belt who gets ejected. If these are things you do not do, I think it's part of our nature to feel Self-righteousness when we see examples of others doing the opposite and paying for it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Spiffness posted:

I don't wish for anyone to get hurt riding...

I think the lack of compassion applies to motorcycling in general. It's regarded as a nuisance, and being in the Detroit area, sane/green/economical/mass transit is a turd in the punchbowl anyway. I believe Henderson Motorcycles moved to Chicago, if being run out of town on a rail counts as moving.

I probably shouldn't have cited the helmet issue, but I'm in a state where the law was recently repealed so it's still front and center. I have similar beliefs, and they're rooted in pragmatism. My point was that the end zone dances don't belong in what is for all practical purposes a death notice.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
I want this.
http://shop.lunasee.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ASL1000

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL9PU08Xuwo

You want this

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
^^ Pimpstar Rims, I was going to link the same thing.

$3.95 a pair for LED valve stem caps:

Or:

You'll need your own lovely music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWxgpTAyrI

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Gullous posted:

^^ Pimpstar Rims, I was going to link the same thing.

$3.95 a pair for LED valve stem caps:

Or:

You'll need your own lovely music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIWxgpTAyrI

Prone to tear off your valve I've heard, leaving you deflating rapidly at speed . No thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Illegal in many places, too. I don't know why (aside from red, that can only ever be rear-facing) given the increased visibility.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh jesus cumsucking christ in a tree of dicks. One week before the eurotour my forks start pissing oil on my front tire. I knew those stalky shits would do me wrong one day. Will just have to plug the leak as best I can somehow, now time for replacement or surgery. And I just threw away some perfectly good fork oil.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Ola posted:

Oh jesus cumsucking christ in a tree of dicks. One week before the eurotour my forks start pissing oil on my front tire. I knew those stalky shits would do me wrong one day. Will just have to plug the leak as best I can somehow, now time for replacement or surgery. And I just threw away some perfectly good fork oil.

When oil and tire appear this close in a sentence, it now triggers a minor heart attack. If you can't do it right prior to showtime, find a cheap rental or something. We don't want to see you do a layer dan in the streets of Limoges and take out a high end porcelain shop or something.

It doesn't compare really, but it was Z3n that talked me out of running a reverse-mounted tire less than a day before a long-range launch. You just have to suck it up and go with Plan B sometimes.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Too bad we live like 1000 km apart, otherwise I'd borrow you a bike Ola. Fo'rilla.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

When oil and tire appear this close in a sentence, it now triggers a minor heart attack. If you can't do it right prior to showtime, find a cheap rental or something. We don't want to see you do a layer dan in the streets of Limoges and take out a high end porcelain shop or something.

It doesn't compare really, but it was Z3n that talked me out of running a reverse-mounted tire less than a day before a long-range launch. You just have to suck it up and go with Plan B sometimes.

I did? :ohdear:

Wrap a rag and a ziptie around the fork leg, or just pump it until all the oil comes out :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks guys, I'll sort it out somehow. If it has all leaked out, then no problem! Just a bouncy front end. :v: It's leaking past the screw in the bottom of the fork lowers. I figure I can get a thin piece of metal, from a tin can or whatever, and line it over the curving surface of the fork lower. Some liquid gasket and the axle clamped on should do the rest. Or maybe just empty my liquid gasket tube all over the front end while crying, hoping the display of emotion embarrasses the bike enough to keep its fluids to itself in public.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Z3n posted:

I did? :ohdear:

Yeah, I can't recall if I spotted it first or someone here, but flipping it and swapping the disc wasn't an option due to Honda's Poka-yoke wheel design. Consensus was to set it aside, though I forget the possible negative effects. Maybe something about handling in the wet. The Harley got the nod--not my long range weapon of choice, but it did all right. I should have the staff archivist fetch the tapes.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I was a bit bummed that I spent the better part of my one and a half days off just trying to get wheels mounted (complicated by the fact that both my brakes kinda crapped out in the process). My buddy posted up these articles to help give me perspective, and I think you guys may enjoy em. The first article gives the definition of "gumption" from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. The second relates gumption into the actual act of wrenching on bikes. The second article is looooong (I *may* have skimmed over the last third or so :ohdear:) but is pretty interesting to me, especially as a newbie motorcycle guy: it made me feel good knowing that the little taste of frustration I got recently is basically inherent in working on bieks.

http://www.neopawn.com/2010/04/gumption-and-gumption-traps-zen-and-art.html

https://plus.google.com/104109276791574356880/posts/8eLwpeN9pJu

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Busy night tonight.

The guy who bought the wife's Magna emailed me about how it would run great, and then stall and not want to run until he let it sit for a few hours, and repeat.

My suspicion was a kinked fuel line from the top tank to the bottom tank. So when he burned through the bottom tank's fuel, the top tank wasn't draining down and the bike basically ran out of gas.

Tipped the tank back, fiddled with the lines, and re-bolted the tank - bike started right up. I took it for a shakedown around the block, it kept running. I had to go home, so he followed me to make sure it was going to run OK and it seemed to run fine for the 15 mile trip. I haven't heard from him yet tonight so I assume it got him home... problem solved it seems. I put it back together after fixing the carbs, so it is looking like I am a terrible mechanic.

Next up, the chain on my little brothers's Multistrada 1200. I like single-sided swing-arms. Could probably tension up that chain in about 15 minutes with some practice. It even comes with a slack gauge that was easy to use.

e: Oh yeah, Magna guy is a new rider. I rode rear to keep an eye on things and let him set his pace. Didn't even crap my pants once on the 15 mile ride. Impressive. Most impressive.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 22, 2012

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

Thanks guys, I'll sort it out somehow. If it has all leaked out, then no problem! Just a bouncy front end. :v: It's leaking past the screw in the bottom of the fork lowers. I figure I can get a thin piece of metal, from a tin can or whatever, and line it over the curving surface of the fork lower. Some liquid gasket and the axle clamped on should do the rest. Or maybe just empty my liquid gasket tube all over the front end while crying, hoping the display of emotion embarrasses the bike enough to keep its fluids to itself in public.

It might just be a bit of trapped dirt! get a thin piece of plastic, like cut from a soda bottle or something, slip it under the seal and run it once around to see if you can hook anything out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

It might just be a bit of trapped dirt! get a thin piece of plastic, like cut from a soda bottle or something, slip it under the seal and run it once around to see if you can hook anything out.

It's not from the fork seal, it's from the bottom of the fork inside the axle clamp, dripping freely with gravity and no doubt more vigorously with the pressure of damping.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, who needs damping anyway? Just find some songs with the same BPM as your suspension's natural resonant frequency and rock the gently caress out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Man, you're absolutely right. Don't put a damper on life, make it BOUNCE!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Ola posted:

It's not from the fork seal, it's from the bottom of the fork inside the axle clamp, dripping freely with gravity and no doubt more vigorously with the pressure of damping.

Ah ok, shouldn't be too much work to just drop the fork leg out and see what's what. If it is the main bolt getting loose, that's only going to get worse through the trip though, might just need torque-ing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bad news is that it's proper damage to it due to my idiot self drilling out a stuck bolt poorly and taking some material off the bolt seat. I thought I had it sealed, it's been fine for a long time, but there's this thing about old sins and haunting. Another bullet point on the winter list, get some used forks. Will be a good excuse to pop some cartridge emulators in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Ola posted:

Bad news is that it's proper damage to it due to my idiot self drilling out a stuck bolt poorly and taking some material off the bolt seat. I thought I had it sealed, it's been fine for a long time, but there's this thing about old sins and haunting. Another bullet point on the winter list, get some used forks. Will be a good excuse to pop some cartridge emulators in.

Why not just have the bolt properly drilled out / threaded by someone w/ proper tools. It'd take a machine shop probably <15 minutes.