Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Check out this GigaOM post about Swype:

GigaOM posted:

For starters, Nuance is fully implementing into Swype the XT9 predictive text technologies originally developed by Tegic. Nuance has built on Tegic’s algorithms, though, expanding its prognostication abilities beyond just words to the formation of sentences and phrases.

For instance, the words “pit,” “pot” and “put” follow the same trace path on Swype keyboard, forcing you to select from the right word from a menu. But by analyzing the words that come before or after the entry, Swype now can place the right word by context. It knows to use the word “pit” after avocado and “put” before the phrase “that away”.

All I can say is "FINALLY."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

LastInLine posted:

Check out this GigaOM post about Swype:

All I can say is "FINALLY."

:toot:

The only problem for me is that Samsung integrated Swype into their ROM, so the only way I'll get the update is if Samsung push a firmware update containing it. :(

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

:toot:

The only problem for me is that Samsung integrated Swype into their ROM, so the only way I'll get the update is if Samsung push a firmware update containing it. :(
It appears you can install this side by side with the other.

In fact, I had to re-sign up for the beta, download another installer, and it didn't replace my existing Swype install, it's in my keyboard list as Swype Beta instead of just Swype.

Obviously you can root and remove your existing Swype install too.

Edit: Whoa, holy poo poo, this much better.

Edit: It now does Facebook/Gmail/Twitter/SMS scanning to detect your usage habits, looks prettier, works much smoother and holy poo poo even the text to speech thing works properly now!

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 20, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

In fact, I had to re-sign up for the beta, download another installer, and it didn't replace my existing Swype install, it's in my keyboard list as Swype Beta instead of just Swype.

Last time I tried that it wouldn't work, but that was a fair while ago (and on Gingerbread not ICS) so I'll give it another go, thanks.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

quote:

and “put” before the phrase “that away”.

How does it know what you're going to type? :tinfoil:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Last time I tried that it wouldn't work, but that was a fair while ago (and on Gingerbread not ICS) so I'll give it another go, thanks.
No, this is new to this version. You couldn't do this before.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Edit: It now does Facebook/Gmail/Twitter/SMS scanning to detect your usage habits, looks prettier, works much smoother and holy poo poo even the text to speech thing works properly now!

How long did it take your confirmation email to arrive? I'm interested in giving this a try, but it's been almost fifteen minutes now, and considering that their half-broken license system is one reason I gave up on Swype, this is not off to a good start.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

yamdankee posted:

How does it know what you're going to type? :tinfoil:

Without trying it, I'd guess it retroactively changes words after you've typed more words.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

How long did it take your confirmation email to arrive? I'm interested in giving this a try, but it's been almost fifteen minutes now, and considering that their half-broken license system is one reason I gave up on Swype, this is not off to a good start.
Instantly. Literally showed up on my phone the second I pushed the register button.

Now the download page from the confirmation email took several attempts to load so I'm betting they're got some issues on their end.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

As someone that's always loved Swype, the new Beta is a huge improvement! Also, for those of you that always complain about the small space bar, I'm glad they did away with the language button.

EDIT: The new "predict what you're going to say" thing is funny and kinda creepy.

XIII fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 20, 2012

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Instantly. Literally showed up on my phone the second I pushed the register button.

Now the download page from the confirmation email took several attempts to load so I'm betting they're got some issues on their end.

Still no activation email, but it let me download the installer...and now there's a parse error with the package that the installer downloads.

Maybe I'll give them a few days to get their poo poo together before trying this again.

edit: Just want to add that I still don't understand the point of this Rube Goldberg installation process. SwiftKey releases betas as apks that you download and install. Why does Swype feel the need to poo poo everything up with this cloak-and-dagger licensing bullshit?

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 20, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

Still no activation email, but it let me download the installer...and now there's a parse error with the package that the installer downloads.

Maybe I'll give them a few days to get their poo poo together before trying this again.

edit: Just want to add that I still don't understand the point of this Rube Goldberg installation process. SwiftKey releases betas as apks that you download and install. Why does Swype feel the need to poo poo everything up with this cloak-and-dagger licensing bullshit?
It does suck, but really since they went to their installer/licenser I've had no problems with it at all.

I really like this new version except the speech input won't let you curse (finally the punctuation and capitalization work properly though) and the backspace behavior is a little different. Other than that though it's slick as gently caress.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It does suck, but really since they went to their installer/licenser I've had no problems with it at all.

I really like this new version except the speech input won't let you curse (finally the punctuation and capitalization work properly though) and the backspace behavior is a little different. Other than that though it's slick as gently caress.

I do miss the "delete word back" function and wish they'd at least left it on the Edit page, but I'll adjust.

I do HATE that they seem to have gone back to the "oh, you manually typed it once? you must want it added to the dictionary without confirmation!!!" thing. Seriously, just because I responded "Fiiiiiiiiiiiiine" to someone once, doesn't mean I want to say that in place of "fine"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

I do miss the "delete word back" function and wish they'd at least left it on the Edit page, but I'll adjust.

I do HATE that they seem to have gone back to the "oh, you manually typed it once? you must want it added to the dictionary without confirmation!!!" thing. Seriously, just because I responded "Fiiiiiiiiiiiiine" to someone once, doesn't mean I want to say that in place of "fine"
At least you can go back and delete it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
What's the version number of this hot new Swype? I updated through the app just now but it seems the same.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What's the version number of this hot new Swype? I updated through the app just now but it seems the same.
You have to get the Swype Beta which is different than regular Swype, which means you need to go to beta.swype.com on your phone browser and download the installer which downloads the beta. Argh.

superunknown
Jul 11, 2001

If good things lasted forever, would we appreciate how precious they are?
Is there some way to make Swype smaller/shorter? It takes up two thirds of the screen on my pitiful optimus v.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You have to get the Swype Beta which is different than regular Swype, which means you need to go to beta.swype.com on your phone browser and download the installer which downloads the beta. Argh.

I just installed from the beta.swype.com on Monday night. I'm not seeing an update though. I'm on v3.26.92D39125.t0.11357.ENSP. Wtf.. that's the version number.. Did I grab the wrong installer?

edit: nm, looks like I missed the beta installer and just had the standard.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

v1.0.3.5809

deong fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 20, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

No, this is new to this version. You couldn't do this before.

Sweet. I'm typing this from the new beta. It takes a little getting used to but seems slicker.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The beta has a "Enable Handwriting" setting, is that new?

EDIT: Aw man, the dedicated "switch language" button is no longer there.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 20, 2012

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Do you need root for the swype beta, the last version didn't work on my rezound.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Yes.

As if my Swype Beta boner was already raging today, they FINALLY added the ability to delete words from the default dictionary! Never again will I have to see NY when I try to say "my".

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I saw the doubletwist alarm clock is 99 cents. Worth it?

E: I got it and saw that to wake up to a song you need to download another app. gently caress that noise! Refunded.

metachronos fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 20, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

metachronos posted:

Do you need root for the swype beta, the last version didn't work on my rezound.

Not anymore. I now have the regular preinstalled Swype on my Atrix, as well as the beta installed right alongside it. :dance:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

metachronos posted:

I saw the doubletwist alarm clock is 99 cents. Worth it?

I bought it and was unhappy that the live wallpaper clock is completely non-configurable. It overlaps the edges of my screen (Nook Tablet), which looks stupid. Grey on black sucks in bright light, too.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

Not anymore. I now have the regular preinstalled Swype on my Atrix, as well as the beta installed right alongside it. :dance:

Yeah this. XIII was presumably referring to previous versions, as I don't have root and the beta is working.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Yeah this. XIII was presumably referring to previous versions, as I don't have root and the beta is working.

Oh, poo poo, my bad. I was actually trying to answer gmq's question about the handwriting feature. That'll teach me not to just quote someone. I'm 99% sure it never needed root, since I've used the beta (both official and unofficial versions) since my days on my OG Droid and I never rooted it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

Let's make a list of the ways that Google sucks.

1. The app lists on the Google Play website are horrible. You get this big list of apps you've installed, with no way to filter them in any way, and it doesn't even list all of them! My app list only goes up to apps starting with the letter N.
  2. Google Music can't shuffle correctly and it's been almost a year without fixing it.
  3. Google Voice app has all sorts of irritating bugs. The app had two very minor updates this year to add minor features, and then the previous update was in September...of 2010.
  4. No tablet versions of major Google apps. [bull3964]
  5. No easily accessible built in back up and restore function to make switching phones painless. [bull3964] From what I understand, the worst part about this is that the facility is there, it just doesn't have a UI.
  6. No built in way to remote wipe your phone from your Google account. [bull3964]
  7. No MMS via Voice. [berzerker]
  8. Talk, Messenger, Hangouts, Voice...why the hell all these different things for real-time communication?
  9. Google Tasks is sucky and stagnant. [berzerker]
  10. Default MMS app can't handle iphones group messages. [Gyshall]
  11. Back button is behavior is too complicated. Sometimes it takes you back up a level in the app, sometimes back to the home screen...who knows what it's going to do?
  12. In general managing your account is a pain in a lot of ways. Can't change your Gmail account ortransfer your apps to another account.
  13. 95% of the time when you click a voicemail notification the transcript doesn't show up. You have to click the little Voice icon at the top to go back to the voicemail list (not the back button, since that will just take you out of the app), wait a second for it to sync, and then go back in to the voicemail.
  14. Voice Actions can't be initiated via bluetooth.

What else?

New Addition: Voice Actions can't be initiated via bluetooth.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Thermopyle posted:

New Addition: Voice Actions can't be initiated via bluetooth.

They can, but you have to use the Voice Commands app not the Voice Search app, and Voice Commands is a horrible piece of poo poo.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

They can, but you have to use the Voice Commands app not the Voice Search app, and Voice Commands is a horrible piece of poo poo.
Right back to what I said about this list. Google collectively has all the ideas and all the pieces but has no one working on clean implementation and cohesive user experience. This is as perfect an example as one could ask for as it is not only their primary competitor's most advertised and talked about feature (voice action integration throughout the OS) but Google beat them to market on the idea by a year and a half and made no improvements to it over that time at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Frozen-Solid posted:

Right. Voice Actions is the official name or whatever for their good voice thingy.

LastInLine is right about it, though. So many Google apps/features get released with lots of promise and then nothing happens with them for what amounts to forever in the tech industry.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

So many Google apps/features get released with lots of promise and then nothing happens with them for what amounts to forever in the tech industry.
I have an issue with this phrasing. You'll notice Apple doesn't release a poo poo load of incremental updates to their core apps either. The difference is that they make sure it's ready for prime time before they even talk about it at all and then they don't have to revisit it for a long time.

That's not the only way to do things, you can do it the Google way where you release early and often but that's the point- you have to do it often; you have to follow through. Google never does and everything is in perpetual beta. And the thing is they use this system perfectly with Chrome so it's not like no one there understands the concept, it's just that no one else there seems to.

Either don't release until it's ready then move on to the next project or release it and improve it quickly with a consistent user experience in mind. This middle way is bullshit and the worst part about Android.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Swype beta question - everything on my phone is dark themed so it's a little jarring when I go to type & it's also on a white background. I don't see an option to change this, do I have any options on froyo or is this an ics theme thingy?

Live a Little
May 7, 2008
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up about Mightytext at http://mightytext.net/, I'd been using it and its Chrome extension. Receiving and sending smses from the computer has never been so easy, plus its really helpful since I always miss calls and messages (phone's like on slient 90% of the time).

vonManstein
Nov 5, 2006
poo poo, according to appbrain I've spent a total of $176 on stuff in the market.

About 90% of my purchases were impulse buys. Thank god I don't use Steam.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Swype beta question - everything on my phone is dark themed so it's a little jarring when I go to type & it's also on a white background. I don't see an option to change this, do I have any options on froyo or is this an ics theme thingy?

That's weird, it's on a black background (with dark grey keys) on my phone. SGS2 running ICS.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

rolleyes posted:

That's weird, it's on a black background (with dark grey keys) on my phone. SGS2 running ICS.

Is your ics theme dark?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

vonManstein posted:

About 90% of my purchases were impulse buys. Thank god I don't use Steam.

Totally off topic but I have about a hundred GB of old impulse bough Steam games to download/install/play.

With a a 20GB internet cap, overages at 2.95/GB and 10+ hour work days I don't see that happening anytime soon

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Is your ics theme dark?

I'm not sure what you mean by that as so far as I'm aware there's no way to change it on my phone, but yes the UI is predominantly black/dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by that as so far as I'm aware there's no way to change it on my phone, but yes the UI is predominantly black/dark.
I think it's white behind the keys where everything Gingerbread and up would be black. Remember in Eclair/Froyo the UI was white (statusbar, menus, etc).

• Locked thread