Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

infraboy, did you hammer it over Mt Tam or did you go Hwy 1? The road over Mt Tam is pretty excellent. There is another road a bit north of Stinson that goes up and over into Fairfax. Bolinas-Fairfax Rd. That one is very windy, narrow, and a bit rough, but lots of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Just kept going down 1 till I ended up in Mill Valley, lots of fun swinging around lots of mountains, uphill and downhill, theres definitely lots of low speed tight turns, super narrow, the Tuono was pretty much in the right territory, I can really appreciate the Ohlins stuff now. Not that Kayaba/Showa suspensions is bad at all, it's just Ohlins is just a notch above.

I'll explore the other side roads another day! I live in a great area really close to some good stuff.

And yeah thats just some asphault dust/gravel on the tire, it is getting down on it's last bits of tread though, I estimate 1000 miles max, i'll probably put something bit more street oriented like Pilot Powers or Dunlop Q2s when they're finished.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
:italy::hf::italy: Italian bike bros with no redlines on tachometers

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Be careful with the supercorsas, no sipes in the middle so they're really easy to cord when you think they have a bunch of life left.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

n8r posted:

For dirt on a tire?

Perhaps he's Swiss.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

:italy::hf::italy: Italian bike bros with no redlines on tachometers

Who needs a redline when you've got a rev limiter, right?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
You can program the shift light in little 100 rpm increments and a little white light flashes on the dash as a suggestion to change gears if you feel like it

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Shift by feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

n8r posted:

For dirt on a tire?

front wing flexing posted:

Impounding seems a little extreme.

Nah, because that tyre is considered "bald"

Tyres require at least 2mm of inside/outside (dunno how else to explain it) tread to be allowed on the road.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Those Arrow pipes look friggin sweet. Looks like a fun day, too!

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Odette posted:

Nah, because that tyre is considered "bald"

Tyres require at least 2mm of inside/outside (dunno how else to explain it) tread to be allowed on the road.

It's 2mm appropriate/1mm by law here, but impounding? That's harsh as hell man.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Finally fixed all my oil leaks and got the tuning close to where I want it to be. Now I just need to get the inspection done on it and I can put it up for sale. After working on it for nearly 3 years it's definitely nice to have it "done". But it's definitely time for another project.

Which I have already started!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Just purchased my first bike yesterday, 1991 Suzuki GS500E.
It was a pretty spontaneous decision, but I was browsing craigslist late night and saw it, and it was honestly EXACTLY what I was looking for. The price was right at $900 (and only 4700 miles!) so I went and bought it the next morning, and my rider friend rode it back for me.

It is in great shape, brand new pirelli sport demon tires, just had a tune up etc. Has an exhaust on it, and it sounds absolutely monster, just insanely loud, love it.

I rode it around a parking lot for quite some time, did a bunch of figure 8's and 90 degree turns, very very easy to maneuver at low speeds.

I parked the bike, came back outside an hour later, and the kickstand had dug into the pavement, and it fell over, snapped the clutch lever in half, but amazingly no other damage except for scrapes. I guess it was going to happen sooner or later, oh well, not the end of the world.

I ordered a new clutch lever, and now I just need to get it registered, plated and inspected, pretty excited but its brutal having the bike sit there and I can't even fire it up :(

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Yeah bud its annoying. I bought my Daytona before I passed my test and it was brutal only being able to ride it on my driveway. Had to wait a week after purchasing it before I was able to take it to the streets.

You have more confidence than me, buying an elderly GS500. There's lots of vids on youtube teaching the good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAReKP_KqM

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

mootmoot posted:

Yeah bud its annoying. I bought my Daytona before I passed my test and it was brutal only being able to ride it on my driveway. Had to wait a week after purchasing it before I was able to take it to the streets.

You have more confidence than me, buying an elderly GS500. There's lots of vids on youtube teaching the good stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwAReKP_KqM

Waiting for someone to make a joke about you needing to wait longer than a week before leaving your driveway....

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
I finally get to take a hero shot of my bike!

Hey where does this little gravel road go? Oh, it goes into a swamp. How the gently caress do I turn around.

Commodore 64
Apr 2, 2007

The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel that was orange

07 SV650 with 3150 mi.

Picked this up last Thursday and the only thing thats kept me off it is the weather. Night and day coming from a GS500.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

Voltage posted:

I parked the bike, came back outside an hour later, and the kickstand had dug into the pavement, and it fell over, snapped the clutch lever in half, but amazingly no other damage except for scrapes. I guess it was going to happen sooner or later, oh well, not the end of the world.

Instead of spending 5 bucks on a puck for your kickstand, go to a hardware store and pick up one of these for $.50

It fits nicely under your seat too, there's a nice spot at my work's parking lot to remind me to put it down since mine almost did the same thing.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
2005 R1200GS

:love:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Probably one of the best touring bikes ever made, in a very funny package.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I love those tubeless spoke wheels. Just for the engineering of it.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I love those tubeless spoke wheels. Just for the engineering of it.

I've always loved BMW's function over form approach.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

invision posted:

I've always loved BMW's function over form approach.

"function over form" is something like burt munro's race bike:

All the modern BMWs have plenty of well-thought out formal choices, they just happen to also be functional. Everyone says "oh it's just function over form" when something just looks *different* from whatever is the status quo, like the only acceptable form is whatever already exists. Don't oversimplify, like if they didn't make certain functional choices, they could have made it more aesthetically integrated.

Want to see a bike built exclusively for performance without any thought to aesthetics?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

So would you say that with things like

this

or this

are designed with more function or more aesthetically pleasing form?

Like, this isn't a black or white issue, you can have function and form at the same time, but it's very apparent that BMW strives to get the most function they can out of their bikes while focusing on form second.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You're missing the point though, if you say it puts function over form then you imply the form is lacking. Do you think it's an ugly bike?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

n8r posted:

You're missing the point though, if you say it puts function over form then you imply the form is lacking. Do you think it's an ugly bike?

Yeah, absolutely I do. You can't argue that something doesn't place function over form if you don't think that it's ugly. Do you ever agree with anyone?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

More fun to be contrarian than an rear end-kisser.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
In the case of the S1000RR, replace "ugly" with "asymmetrical", and his point stands.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Bucephalus posted:

In the case of the S1000RR, replace "ugly" with "asymmetrical", and his point stands.

Asymmetry is BMW's thing. Personally subjective views of what's ugly does not mean that there wasn't a shitton of design iterations that the S1000RR went through before ending up like it does now. (which is loving awesome looking by the way)

It has nothing to do with function beyond visually distinguishing the bike from the Japanese supersports.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

echomadman posted:

It has nothing to do with function beyond visually distinguishing the bike from the Japanese supersports.

This is very nearly true, if I recall correctly BMW gave the justification that being asymmetrical allowed them to save on weight by using a smaller headlamp and housing on one side, and by using allowing them to use different venting on each side of the fairing to achieve a specific air flow.

Granted, it sounds like bullshit; but I want to believe.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Spiffness posted:

This is very nearly true, if I recall correctly BMW gave the justification that being asymmetrical allowed them to save on weight by using a smaller headlamp and housing on one side, and by using allowing them to use different venting on each side of the fairing to achieve a specific air flow.

Granted, it sounds like bullshit; but I want to believe.

The video of the head engineer explaining the bike has him clearly stating "we made it asymmetrical because of performance reasons."

So uh, yeah, function over form, from the lead engineer on the project.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Function over form so hard that function becomes form. Why hello there bauhaus.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You would save more weight by using one reflector and an H4 bulb. :colbert:

It's both. The head engineer also speaks marketing speak, he says what the engineer-savvy customers wants to hear. The head designer says what the fashion people want to hear. BMW has had asymmetric design cues for years, it's part of their thing. Both departments cooperate, play ball and touch bases. A design idea becomes an engineering problem becomes an engineering idea becomes a redesign becomes a production problem becomes a design idea becomes an engineering solution becomes a bike.

Here's the prototype from 2009, make of that what you will.

http://luxury-motorcycle.blogspot.no/2011/01/bmw-s1000rr-prototype-2009.html

Including the fact that it doesn't have headlights yet. :v:

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I still hold the belief that somewhere someone decided that the newer BMWs needed to look like some form of industrial accident. I always thought the odd look to be appealing, hell I still want a BMW K1200R.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh, this is all just wonderful :allears:

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
I thought I've already posted pics of my bike, but I don't think I did. Either way I haven't posted it lookin' this good or in my current configuration

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Socratse posted:

I thought I've already posted pics of my bike,
Excuse me, you're interrupting our BMW argument.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Eh that looks close enough to a BMW for me. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Forgiving the legally required bits, this is the sexiest japanese tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

Ola posted:

Forgiving the legally required bits, this is the sexiest japanese tail.

I'm always on the edge of deciding to get a sequential taillight with blinkers in it and a fender eliminator, but can never bring myself to take the leap and drop the cash.