Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

As far as I know, yeah. Last vet visit the vet said it was 'minimal' as in, just a few cysts left. She said it was something some pumpkin can take care of, so who even knows right now.

Also I forgot to add dust bunnies. You know, those little balls of dust? If we don't vacuum for a few days, he'll eat them. My dog is a winner. :tipshat:

Also, sorry to hear about that :( I hope Ellie is doing okay?

Yeah, Ellie's fine. Happened last summer, while her owners were in Italy and Israel. She no longer stays at our house though; I stay at hers.

What won't Feldman eat? Crayons? Paste? (not that I'm advocating offering him art supplies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Marvin goes crazy for cheese but whenever I cut off a small piece for him he'd turn his head and walk away. Nooo, it's gotta be the whole brick of cheese or nothing. Greedy bastard.

He eats dust bunnies too! Bonus point if they have his own fur in them.

My brother just told me that his girlfriend's cat's nipple "fell off". I asked what exactly happened, he shrugged and said "I dunno, apparently it's a thing that happens to male cats sometimes." WTF? I've never heard of that. Is it really A Thing? I'd google but somehow I feel "cat nipple" is not the best thing to search for...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I don't know if I should be posting this in here or the primitive breeds thread but anyhow,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdYBi8meuPw

He likes to do battle with and then nap on the air conditioning vents.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Nori is wonderful. I love his pointy ears.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

a life less posted:

Also, Cohen earned her ADC - that's her starter agility title. I'm very proud!

Yay Cohen :3:

To whom it may concern: this dog will be mine.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

FlyingFish posted:

My brother just told me that his girlfriend's cat's nipple "fell off". I asked what exactly happened, he shrugged and said "I dunno, apparently it's a thing that happens to male cats sometimes." WTF? I've never heard of that. Is it really A Thing? I'd google but somehow I feel "cat nipple" is not the best thing to search for...

There was a thread in here about this. It was like gross stuff in there that came out kinda zit like. I was really impressed. Maybe some one with search skills can find it.

Wonder Bra
Jan 5, 2008

always in another castle

ChairmanMeow posted:

There was a thread in here about this. It was like gross stuff in there that came out kinda zit like. I was really impressed. Maybe some one with search skills can find it.

Yeah IIRC, nipples can invert and get clogged like a big pore. Yummo.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Here, have a smug looking terrier:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
http://nationalmilldogrescue.blogspot.com/p/foster-spotlight.html
I want this dog. Lookit his ears. :3:

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

By "Italian Greyhound/Rat Terrier cross" I assume they meant African Wild Dog/Deer. I would play with those ears all day long.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Oh my god, those ears are amazing. :3: Get that dog, get him immediately. :colbert:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

^^^^^Haha, yes!^^^^^

I think you need this dog. Go get him :colbert:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Some kind of dog/deer hybrid, judging by those ears :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Please get him and dress him as Anubis for halloween.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The zoo in my city just had its fourth litter of Painted Dog puppies. :3:

anima
Apr 27, 2007
1. The unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona, or outer aspect of the personality.

Azrael Alexander posted:

We once had a cat who would steal entire bags of potato chips, drag them off, and growl menacingly at anyone who tried to take them away. It took two people + gloves to get his potato chips away from him. :catstare: We have no idea how he developed such a ravenous lust for potato chips, as he was hand-reared and never ate any people food besides the occasional bit of lunchmeat or cheese. He even had chicken as a part of his daily meals.

My cat is all crazy for chips too. First day I got her I was eating a salami sandwich and doritos and I got up to pee, when I came back she had eaten the chips, salami and bread. I'm Celiac so when she smells me defrosting bread she cries and goes crazy. She loves fries, mostly Wendy's. Chips, bread/muffins/cake, any meat product, straight hot sauce, soup, cooked pasta of any variety, granola, pizza, cereal (Trix most of all), basically anything she will eat except yogurt. Yogurt is the only thing I can eat in peace. Maybe it's because she was locked in an abandoned apartment for a loooong time before being found or probably she is just a fatty mustache cat. I don't indulge her often but she sure tries hard.

The best time was when I was eating a hotdog, and she zoomed by so fast I barely saw her and as I was biting into it she took a bite out of the other end and kept running. She's got skill.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
That mill dog rescue site is so awesome. It's very good I'm not close to Colorado or else I'd adopt this girl, who is a spot-on female version of Apple:
http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Shih-Tzu-15954807

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

a life less posted:

I've never really been told about lead changes in agility, but I heard someone mention it at a recent fun match. Mind giving a brief crash course about it, and training for agility?

Also, Cohen earned her ADC - that's her starter agility title. I'm very proud!
It comes up in the context of jumping technique mostly. Lead is important to turning efficiently. Susan Salo's more advanced stuff goes into it some. Congrats to you and Cohen!

Rho was attacked by a Lab yesterday in agility class. I'm pretty devastated (and bruised, I went in and grabbed the other dog myself), because it's not easy getting a sensitive dog to believe he can fully focus on training and having fun with me despite the other dogs if sometimes one of those dogs attacks him for no reason. It's also loving unfair: my dogs are dog reactive, but they've never jumped another dog in class, but they've been attacked several times.

Rho is physically fine and I think his mental wounds are smaller than mine. [/E/N]

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Poor Rho. :( I hope the owner at least apologized to you.

Small rant.

So my cousin, like a lot of people, has had a hard time finding consistent work after he was laid off. When I visited last summer he was talking about wanting to get a dog. My aunt loves dogs, but is done with owning them. They had two dogs who both died from old age a few years ago, and she didn't want the work or the mess or the bother again.

Well.

Selfish stupid cousin got dog. A loving puppy. Everyone in the house works full time. There is no time for this dog. So it's bored out of its mind. It digs up the yard (my aunt gardens and is extremely good at it, which I'm sure is getting wrecked as the days go by), it dug up the carpet (brand new, which my aunt and uncle installed themselves) and pees everywhere and is a generally terrible untrained unruly lovely dog because of complete lack of training, attention, or exercise.

Apparently my cousin was PLANNING to move out because he was expecting to get work, so very stupidly preemptively got a puppy that no one at all had time for regardless. Who DOES THAT to their parents who are very kindly letting you stay in their home after you were laid off, and after it was deeply expressed that no more dogs were wanted in the house? :psyduck: This guy isn't exactly young either, so "stupid kid" isn't an explanation or excuse.

Also I'm pretty sure it's a hunting dog.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

If he's not working, why is he not taking care of the dog himself? I can sort of see wanting a companion when in a rough patch; my cat helped me through depression and unemployment by giving me at least some small goals in life everyday. But if he's not bothering to look after the dog... Yeah, stupid, also why the hell would someone do such a thing.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

When my dad dropped my brother off to visit with me for the next few weeks, he saw my "Fearful Fido" book. He now calls Bailey my "Frankenstein dog" because of all the "social engineering" I do with him.

(Jokes on you dad, my dog already knows more tricks than yours do.)

Also I was talking about future dogs and he was like "NO YOU HAVE TO GET A FINNISH SPITZ PUPPY" partly because there aren't many of them, partly because he's working on getting his dogs titled, so this is like a 4-5 years down the road kind of thing. I wouldn't mind teaching a stubborn finkie.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

wtftastic posted:

When my dad dropped my brother off to visit with me for the next few weeks, he saw my "Fearful Fido" book. He now calls Bailey my "Frankenstein dog" because of all the "social engineering" I do with him.

:psyduck: Dog training is social engineering?

Not gonna lie though, I think I'll start calling Lola Frankenstein's Monster.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Fraction posted:

:psyduck: Dog training is social engineering?

Not gonna lie though, I think I'll start calling Lola Frankenstein's Monster.

I don't know, I think he was just messing with me. He really likes Bailey and thinks he's well behaved, so at least he likes the results?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
No but seriously GET A FINNISH SPITZ PUPPY

I need to live vicariously through you.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

No but seriously GET A FINNISH SPITZ PUPPY

I need to live vicariously through you.

Haha well if everything goes according to plan I will have one. The breeders who are working with/ mentoring my dad says that they don't really like to do agility stuff, but I think it would be neat to train one for either agility or field trials.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Dogsitting till the end of the month :buddy:

Jackson's pretty much the best dog. Only thing I'm worried about is separation anxiety, as his owners had some problems with him barking and howling when left alone for his first week with them. I'm crossing my fingers we don't have the same problem during his first few days with us.

He was bouncing around like a goof inside so I took him for a walk. It's hot and sunny but I'm two blocks from the river so I was able to stick to shade and water. He rolled in a partially desiccated otter :cry:

Now he's passed out on my kitchen floor.

Dio is NOT impressed.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I like chalk. Hex likes sun. These things happen.

Get away, dog.

She also likes warm spots. Sometimes she turns the computer off.

Bad cat. :mad:

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Rixatrix posted:

In your opinion, is pacing something a dog will do out of personal preference or whatever innocent reason, or is it an indication of an underlying musculoskeletal problem, pain or structural flaws in the dog? A lot of people I know worry if they see their dog pacing instead of trotting and the PT I took my dogs to last time also seemed to think pacing may indicate a problem. I'm a bit skeptical myself. Pi is a pacer, whereas I don't think I've seen Rho pace pretty much ever, he trots instead. Rho is better built, but he's also smaller so it's easier for him to trot along to my walking (or even jogging!) speed. Pi will switch to trotting when we bike and if he doesn't, there's usually a problem.

Pacing can totally be innocent. It's a lazy, comfortable gait which many dogs will fall into from time to time (especially at slower speeds). Longer legged breeds like sighthounds and danes are particularly prone to pacing. From what I know, pacing is only a problem if i) the dog does not seem willing break out of the pace into a trot as you increase speed, or ii) an dog suddenly begins to pace, or paces more often than normal, especially when coupled with bunny hopping and/or general discomfort in the hindquarters. The first could indicate structural problems (the dog is trying to avoid interference between front and hind feet), the second could indicate health problems and would need to get checked out by a vet.

Basically, most pacing dogs just from time to time because its comfy for them and this is no big deal - but it can also indicate structural and/or medical problems in some cases, so you should always keep an eye on it :).

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Pardalis posted:

Plan on making a 'Some kitty that I used to know' video?

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Guys, look at this dog. LOOK AT THIS DOG. He was just chilling on a leash at the sunny entrance to some business. He is ALL FLUFF AND JOWL. I must have one.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006
Its my day off, and its 100 degrees outside. NO hike for Shelby today. She hates the heat evenmroe than I do, lol.

Post hike last week:
(I pulled 7 ticks off of her when I got home, and 3 from me)

Last week I had saturday off. I knew the park was gunna be busy as hell because it was a really really nice day, so I took shelby to the most remote disused part of the park. That was a bad idea because it was very over grown, tick central. On top of that we still ran into people.

What do you guys think Shelby is? She looks more similar to GSDs from 90 years ago than the ones you see today. Most people I come across in public think she is a malinois. She was a stray puppy so I don't know for sure. Also I am unsure if her curved tail is because she is a malinois or because of an injury she had when she was stray, which would settle it pretty quickly otherwise.

Here's a bunch more pics of her: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stregone/sets/72157603809121653/

Stregone fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 20, 2012

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

InEscape posted:

Guys, look at this dog. LOOK AT THIS DOG. He was just chilling on a leash at the sunny entrance to some business. He is ALL FLUFF AND JOWL. I must have one.

Well I hope you have a long extension cord and aren't worried about the cost of charging it.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Pardalis posted:

Get away, dog.

She also likes warm spots. Sometimes she turns the computer off.

Bad cat. :mad:

haha, great pictures. Hex is amazing. :allears:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

God drat that's a pretty dog. And my money is on BYB GSD or Malinois/something like that or maybe something like a golden retriever/GSD? :3: I dunno, she's just really lovely. I bet sweeping is a nightmare.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

notsoape posted:

From what I know, pacing is only a problem if i) the dog does not seem willing break out of the pace into a trot as you increase speed, or ii) an dog suddenly begins to pace, or paces more often than normal

Basically, most pacing dogs just from time to time because its comfy for them and this is no big deal
Thanks. This is exactly what I've figured to be the case. I just get so bored of having people constantly tell me I need to be worried about Pi because he usually paces when I walk him. As long as I can get him to trot when on a bike or when I run, I haven't worried about it.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
We found a mummified cat on our roof today while we were fixing the chimney. :( It'd be sad even if it was a strange cat, but about a month ago my aunts cat got outside and didn't come home again. We found tufts of tabby hair strewn around in front of our house, and assumed he'd gotten killed by a neighborhood dog. He always used to hang out on the roof (I tried my best to inspire an inside-only cat rule in the house, but she doesn't believe in indoor-only cats and since he had been an outdoor cat for the better part of 14 years, I didn't worry so much about him) and we assume that he went up there after he was attacked and died. I have this really empty feeling, knowing that he was just lying above us rotting away and we never knew. We gave him a proper burial, but it just feels so wrong. He was such a noble old cat and he deserved to die peacefully when the time was right, not gravely injured up on a roof. :smith: The worst part is that my aunt still won't change her stance on outdoor cats, and is constantly being irresponsible about making sure my mothers cat doesn't get out. It's been a really lovely day so far.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Oh my god, I'm so sorry. How terrible :smith: At least he got a proper burial.

Apidae posted:

Dogsitting till the end of the month :buddy:

Ok, this is the cutest dog I've ever seen.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

InEscape posted:

Chow chows really are the cutest dogs. :3: I'd want one if they weren't so notoriously difficult.

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

God drat that's a pretty dog. And my money is on BYB GSD or Malinois/something like that or maybe something like a golden retriever/GSD? :3: I dunno, she's just really lovely. I bet sweeping is a nightmare.

Yeah the shedding is pretty crazy. I wish I had room for a big stainless steel grooming tub. When I was a groomer I would give her a super thorough brush bath and blow out at work and it helped a ton. I have been investigating self service dog washes, the at home baths are almost worthless. sure she smells better and her coat is soft, but she still sheds like a mofo.

She's definitely not golden mixed. She is red sable, not just red. As a puppy she was almost completely black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azrael Alexander posted:

He was such a noble old cat and he deserved to die peacefully when the time was right, not gravely injured up on a roof. :smith: The worst part is that my aunt still won't change her stance on outdoor cats, and is constantly being irresponsible about making sure my mothers cat doesn't get out. It's been a really lovely day so far.

I'm really sorry. There isn't a lot you can do about family.

• Locked thread