Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

Explosionface posted:

Also, for the sake of consistency, choose whether the italics are your commentary or the game. That means any dialog as well as the narration all have a similar style so it's easier to identify.

It might also be a good idea to put :airquote: quotation marks around what your characters say, even if the game doesn't. It helps people tell if someone is talking.

SSNeoman posted:

Edit: Argh one last thing: In game, whenever you touch screen gets static-y it means there's a secret area nearby. Should I include those in my screen captures?

If it can be quickly explained through text (the bottom screen is getting fuzzy, so that means there's something nearby), then you should probably just write instead. Maybe show it once, just so people get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!
Alright this has been bugging me for a bit, but let's say hypothetically, that I am doing an LP of Metroid Fusion. Do I post links to the videos here or is there another thread that let's you post lp parts, or do I start my own thread of this lp. The reason I'm asking is because while watching an lp from the LP archives, I heard the lper say that if anyone had questions, just post them in the thread. So I'm confused as to where I should post the parts.

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

TraumaticRatio posted:

Alright this has been bugging me for a bit, but let's say hypothetically, that I am doing an LP of Metroid Fusion. Do I post links to the videos here or is there another thread that let's you post lp parts, or do I start my own thread of this lp. The reason I'm asking is because while watching an lp from the LP archives, I heard the lper say that if anyone had questions, just post them in the thread. So I'm confused as to where I should post the parts.

If you're doing a whole LP, it would be best if you made your own thread for it. If you're just doing a couple specific videos, and someone else has a thread of it, you should talk to them and ask if you can post in theirs too (some people do that).

The Sandcastle is just for test videos, like you post one video here and then people will tell you what you need to improve upon. This isn't where you actually post LPs.

If you make a thread, make sure you make it in the Let's Play section of the forums.

When the guy said "if anyone had questions, just post them in the thread" he was probably telling the viewers to ask him/ her by posting a comment in the LP's thread. If you're in the LParchive you can actually find a link to the original thread at the top of the page, but the thread will more than likely be closed.

Also, when you say you're "doing" an LP of Fusion, do you mean you've already done a ton of videos? Because you aren't supposed to dump a bunch of Youtube videos at once when you make a thread.

SSNeoman:

Those look fine. That's the great thing about pixel style games, when you shrink them down they still look good.

VVVV

Mezurya fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 19, 2012

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

: I say words!
: I state a team's purpose on a touch screen!

Like so? Or should I make them bigger/smaller? Okay, I'm gonna fix my test post then.Okay here we go:
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=2151

...I kinda think the larger icons look a bit better, but I'll trust your judgement.

I've also been thinking; in battles, only one screen is active, either the touch screen or the top screen, so maybe I should somehow make it alternate between recording two screens? Or should I ask this in the tech support fort?

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 19, 2012

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

SSNeoman posted:

: I say words!
: I state a team's purpose on a touch screen!

Like so? Or should I make them bigger/smaller? Okay, I'm gonna fix my test post then.
I've also been thinking; in battles, only one screen is active, either the touch screen or the top screen, so maybe I should somehow make it alternate between recording two screens? Or should I ask this in the tech support fort?

Can you show me an example? And I'm not familiar with how DS LPs work. IS there anyway to make the bottom screen appear to the right, like this:

That might be more efficient.

Or do you mean that combat is only happening on one screen, but it switches places from time to time? Because if that's the case, then just use Ifranview to crop all the pictures, and just use the screen that has combat going on.

Edit: just saw your change to the test post. I think the icons look a lot better now.

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Mezurya posted:

If you're doing a whole LP, it would be best if you made your own thread for it. If you're just doing a couple specific videos, and someone else has a thread of it, you should talk to them and ask if you can post in theirs too (some people do that).

The Sandcastle is just for test videos, like you post one video here and then people will tell you what you need to improve upon. This isn't where you actually post LPs.

If you make a thread, make sure you make it in the Let's Play section of the forums.

When the guy said "if anyone had questions, just post them in the thread" he was probably telling the viewers to ask him/ her by posting a comment in the LP's thread. If you're in the LParchive you can actually find a link to the original thread at the top of the page, but the thread will more than likely be closed.

Also, when you say you're "doing" an LP of Fusion, do you mean you've already done a ton of videos? Because you aren't supposed to dump a bunch of Youtube videos at once when you make a thread.

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I was just trying to find out what I should do when I want to lp something. And no I don't have a bunch of parts already recorded, I was just being hypothetical.

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!
No problem. But you should still post your OP (which would be the first thing in your thread, all the basic info and such, just look at any thread to see an example) and your first video here so people can tell you if you're doing it right, and if you need to fix anything.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just give us a sample video and a sample OP, possibly one set up in the SSLP Test Poster from the first post of this thread. That's what the Sandcastle's for; if you get the OK here the LP should get its own thread.

e: updated post to reflect new information

loquacius fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 19, 2012

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

I actually posted 2 parts here (both were tests) of metroid fusion. I already got the constructive criticism, but I could always use some more. I asked now so that way, I can use it for future reference. But I know how to post up the OP and such.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbbkJ2qydU

Side-notes (Part 1):
- Commentary Desynced
- Game Audio louder than me at some points

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akuwoolBmhs

Side-notes (Part 2):
- I'm hard to hear sometimes
- Frame-rate lagged a few times

This is just in case you have anything to say that I can improve on

MellowHype fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 19, 2012

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

TraumaticRatio posted:

I actually posted 2 parts here (both were tests) of metroid fusion. I already got the constructive criticism I needed and am working on that. I asked now so that way, I can use it for future reference. But I know how to post up the OP and such.

Oh, I saw that a few pages back. Didn't realize that was you, I get confused because everyone has the Newbie avatar and just figured it was a coincidence. So yeah, if you're happy with the feedback and everything, you should post your finished video here so people can let you know if it's ready for a thread.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mezurya posted:

Can you show me an example? And I'm not familiar with how DS LPs work. IS there anyway to make the bottom screen appear to the right, like this:

That might be more efficient.

I can do that, I really just wanted them to be one on top of the other for the first update cause of the opening. :shobon:
I can't get the emulator to make the avi have the screens in that order though, is there any place I can fiddle with the settings?

quote:

Or do you mean that combat is only happening on one screen, but it switches places from time to time? Because if that's the case, then just use Ifranview to crop all the pictures, and just use the screen that has combat going on.

What I meant is that if you check out my test video, only one screen at a time is doing stuff. Either I'm fighting on the top screen (with the bottom being greyed out and inactive) or I'm selecting chips on the bottom screen (with the battle on top greyed out and frozen in time). So I'm wondering if there's a way for me to film one screen, press a button to start filming the other screen, and then press the button again to return to filming the first screen.

Honestly, it seems hard to do, so if I can just get the emulator to film the screens in a horizontal order, it'll be good enough.

I suppose worst case scenario is that I'd have to just resort to all screenshots, all the time, but that seems kind of boring, especially with the kick-rear end battle animations the game has.

quote:

Edit: just saw your change to the test post. I think the icons look a lot better now.

Thank you so much, you guys are really making it better than it originally was :)

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

SSNeoman posted:

I can do that, I really just wanted them to be one on top of the other for the first update cause of the opening. :shobon:
I can't get the emulator to make the avi have the screens in that order though, is there any place I can fiddle with the settings?

I'm not using exact syntax or anything close, but the general idea in avisynth is possible, as far as I know.
The general flow of the script would be:
code:
rawclip = AviSource("file.avi") #load recorded video
topclip = Crop(rawclip, dimensions) #crop out bottom screen from raw
bottomclip = Crop(rawclip, dimensions) #crop out top screen from raw

video = StackHorizontal(topclip, bottomclip) #put the clips side by side

video = ConverttoYV12(video) #Convert to YV12 colorspace for mp4 encoding

return video #output clip video as final output of script
Somebody please correct me if I'm way off.

Edit: V yeah, I'm assuming video for the sake of video in this case

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 20, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
^ Yes, but don't convert to YV12 if you plan on taking screenshots, that will give you really ugly color bleeding on native resolution sprite graphics.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

DotA 2: Your teammates are bad the manners are worse

Dota?

Me and my brother (WYA) have decided that it could be fun and entertaining to do a Lets Play of what is successor to the most played custom map/mod of all time. The point, of course, is to make it entertaining to the community here as well as hopefully educational to those new to the very popular and upcoming genre (MOBA). We were sort of inspired by the battlefield 1942 LP with our goals here. Some of the possibly inherently entertaining features of LPing this game would be:

- The community. Generally regarded as the cesspit of the internet. The amount of poo poo talking, bad manners and RAGE could provide entertainment on its very own merits. In game voice chat is the cherry on the turd cake.

- The fast paced and competitive nature of the game lends itself to some pretty exciting viewing. Competitive DotA has gathered quite the esportz viewership because of this. It is a game with an incredibly high skill ceiling where absolute miracles and game crushing moments could be around any corner.

- SA goon involvement could become a big part of this LP. Many goons play this game and it could offer a way in which to make this LP more interactive, with the possibility of inhouses, comedy pubstomps (goon tears guaranteed) and some quality RPing.

- The tremendous skill and talent of the LPers. Well... both of us have a lot of experience with MOBAs, and this could be a source for newer players to learn from. A healthy portion of our LP will be dedicated to showcasing some of the key hero types and explaining strategies and mechanics from beginner to advanced. My brother played DotA 1 for roughly five years in some of the private leagues. I played LoL at a pretty high level (1900 elo when I stopped playing a year ago), so we know our way around clicking on things. We know its generally frowned upon for this sort of personal information in a LP, but I think for a competitive online game like this its important for the hosts to be generally competent and knowledgeable about the game. We also fully expect to be shat upon by the controversial dota community here on SA ;). There was a reason dota threads were banned here for a pretty long time....

:eng101: Achieving the goal of being entertaining as well as educational :eng99:

Ideas:
- Matches showcasing lesser played heroes
- Matches showcasing the key role archetypes in game (e.g. Carry, Ganker, Support)
- Matches showcasing general team strategies (e.g. Push strat, 55 minute antimage turtlefest)
- Roleplaying matches where we try to stay in character in voice and text chat to the ridiculous and written-by-a-twelve-year-old-anime-fan DotA Lore
- Goon matches, perhaps the best and most hilarious example of rage. SA honor is on the line.
- Gimmick matches wherein we try our best to do ridiculous build/hero combinations suggested in the potential thread.

Why should anyone watch this if there are so many pro games to watch?

We are one of you! Pro dota is almost a completely different game from regular pub dota where random matchmaking makes it almost impossible to execute on the level of pros. Strategies are different, different heroes are more effective, different builds are more or less effective. Very few players here play on that level, literally a handful, and we think our LP can appeal to the common man who desires to be the pubstar of ages.

The test uploads so far

WYA has exclusively done the two test videos showcasing a beginner directed video and a more intermediate directed video. I have very little free time and he has a lot so he'll most likely be doing the solo stuff and video editing.

Intermediate episode. Hero: Chen This is likely what our hero feature will be like

Beginner Episode. Hero: Lich This one hosed up so it is currently reuploading, should be up any minute.

Disclaimer: WYA is pretty awkward in the first 3 min of each episode and starts to get a better flow to his commentary a little bit in, so dont be discouraged if it seems a little stilted at first.

Problems/Solutions

We dont know what sort of video editing to do. We sort of agree that recording the voice during the match is important for the reactions to uprising events, and the extremely important team communication through voice chat. Also it lends itself to what could be an entertaining introspective on the damage dota does to the psyche.

The problem with this is during team fights and intense moments might be more quite/filled with only swearing because of the concentration involved. This could be solved by adding the commentating on later. Also, we are more likely to perform badly because we are trying to explain things as well as own noobs during the more education episodes (this problem can be seen in the beginning of the Lich video where WYA gets shitstomped by an Ursa).

Would appreciate some perspective on these issues, as well as WYAs general flow and commentary as he will be taking a lead role in this LP being the only one who has done a previous LP and being generally more knowledgeable regarding dota and dota lore

Edit:

Might be a problem

DotA 2 isnt currently in its intended free-2-play model yet, so it might not technically be considered released yet.

-but-

DotA 2 is a direct port of DotA 1 including same heroes same items with the only difference being fancier graphics and an awesomer interface.

IceFrog posted:

We don't really think of Dota 2 as a beta, but we also aren't ready for everyone to show up and start playing just yet. We are constantly updating the game with new heroes, bug fixes,

WYA emailed slowbeef about this but he hasnt got back to me yet with the green light

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 20, 2012

That British Guy
Nov 25, 2007

Fabulous
^ You do know there is a 3 month rule? Right? and this game hastn't even been released yet so im sure this breaks that rule.

That British Guy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 20, 2012

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

While I'd definitely get confirmation from a mod, given that it's been pretty much available to anyone who really wants to play for several months now, it might be okay.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Yeah but is DotA 2 going to be that different from its sequel? I have a feeling it will be easy enough to get permission to launch early in this case. It's like having a new The Sims game about to come out and waving the 3 month rule around.

James Totes
Feb 17, 2011
Lets get the most important thing out of the way; How are you going to police the thread?

Because Dota, even the thread in Games, does not have a good history of civility on SA.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

James Totes posted:

Lets get the most important thing out of the way; How are you going to police the thread?

Because Dota, even the thread in Games, does not have a good history of civility on SA.

Maybe make it so the famous terrible talking points of concedes, dota pro teams, racism, goon drama and public personalities are not allowed. And to just keep the strategy talk the focal point. Strategy talk has far less derailing and terribliness to it

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Explosionface posted:

Beautiful wonderful code.

Thank you so much dude, it worked perfectly.

Here's my new test video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42wGh0A18Hk

I guess I could increase the height so that those black borders on top and bottom would go away, but I'd say it would look uglier. What do you guys think?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

ThePriceIsRight posted:

DotA 2

I'd suggest running a de-noise on your commentary. That hissing is annoying.

Second, you probably don't need to do 1080p for your videos, but that's really your call.

Finally, I'm interested in these videos, but you gotta give us newbies something to work with. I've never played DotA - played League of Legends once or twice - so jargon like "jungler" means nothing to me.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Yeah, I'd at least suggest a video where you go over all the DotA-like jargon like jungler. Preferably with appropriate video content playing at the same time to make it easier to understand. Plus it benefits you in such a way that you don't have to explain this stuff in an actual match and you can concentrate on what you're doing.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

I find this video to be a good concise intro to the basices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUNmFAzS98

We will definitely do a definitions list of popular jargon in the OP as well as useful info for beginners.

Was the beginners youtube more helpful and clear to you guys?

quote:

I'd suggest running a de-noise on your commentary. That hissing is annoying.

That was due to a fan running in WYAs backround for the first video, he will make drat sure that doesnt happen again :mad:

edit: found a good video for introducing jargon terms: http://www.dotatryhards.com/learn-to-play/dota-2-terms-definitions-and-game-modes-video_ade24e9fb.html

I guess its sort of lazy of us to rely on other's videos for the very basics, but there are so many of them it would be sort of redundant to make another one.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 20, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
You're saying 'uhhhh' way too much, so I'd suggest post commentary or maybe a light script to get down some points to discuss. Also for the beginner video it took you about 3 minutes to even get into a match which is something you might want to edit out as most people might not want to sit through 3 minutes of lobby excitement. It also doesn't help when you start out a video 'Yeah, this game is a MOBA....but I don't know what that means'. Prepare for your videos ahead of time and learn simple explanatory poo poo before hand. I'd also try to figure out ways to speed up or shorten videos because when I saw that the video was close to an hour, then my brain pretty much shut off (especially as a new person to the game, I don't want to see something that long as an introduction). Also it seems to be splitting hairs about this but why are you LP'ing a closed beta game that is still relatively new to pretty much everyone who isn't in the beta? I mean maybe it has the same attraction as something like Blood Bowl, but for that there was a tourney set up among people. This just seems like you being pro in a highly competitive game and that doesn't seem like it would be that entertaining for random people to watch.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Since that Dota 2 is a graphical + UI update, will be free to play (an invite is currently 30€, granted) and has been pretty widely available for half a year I'd be surprised if the 3 month rule came into it. It's not like there's a great rush for internet fame from making the first Dota 2 LP, that ship has definitely sailed.

On post in general:
- That overview video is nice, but there's a ton of crap it doesn't cover like team roles, etc. People following the LP will generally not know how anything of the sort works.
- Consider doing goon scrimmage over pub stomps, but I guess that does mean missing out on most of the raging.
- Dota Lore section incomplete without mention of Leshrac's beautiful poetry.

On Chen video as it's the only one up:
- You should probably introduce the hero and his abilities separately before starting the match, just use replay footage or take clips in a bot game.
- Is the "intermediate" stuff for newbies or vets? The video explains a bunch of stuff anyone who's played five games would know and simultaneously assumes that the viewer knows what a jungler does and the like.
- If it is for newbies, don't start with Chen.
- Not entirely sold on live solo commentary, there's not exactly a shortage of live streams and the like doing the same.
- That was a reasonably packed game, but would still have benefited from editing out the slow parts, cutting to interesting events elsewhere on the map at times, etc. You have replays, they're handy.

Nothing wrong with the video quality that I can see, audio is a bit noisy but not too bad. Apart from cutting out a pause it seems completely unedited; basically a recorded live stream. It's not terrible or anything, just kinda generic and aimed at people who know enough Dota to get by but not enough to know how all the characters work. There's no doubt a market for that, but it doesn't seem very LP:y.

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
So all of the DS stuff recently got me thinking about those DS games that actually really sort of use both screens and how to present them in video format. I remember a guy doing Sonic Rush had some pretty snazzy transition effects, so, I recorded some footage of one of my favourite DS games, Henry Hatsworth, and set about messing around making some avisynth functions to do some cool stuff with it. In Hatsworth, the top screen is a standard actiony platform game, and the bottom screen is a straight forwards block puzzle; while you're generally only looking at one of them, sometimes the two directly interact with one another, and you have to swap from one to the other regularly as you play. After coming up with a system that seemed to work pretty good for animating from one arbitrary situation to another, I arrived at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIXwRTTmIHo

The question is, are they too much? In places I used 3:2 size ratios of one screen to the other, and in others, 4:1, depending on the situation, positioning them in a 1280x768 video. I'd be happy using something like this from a technical standpoint, but, I'm not sure how it would functionally be received by viewers; just slapping things in side by side always seems like such a poor use of screen space, but at the same time, nothing moves around while you're trying to look at it. The game has a lot of ~1 second transitions to poke you towards which screen to be looking at, but having them shoot from one corner of the video to the other is a bit more awkward than glancing up or down depending on the subtle nudges the game offers. It ultimately means I am being inconsistent to try and make some transitions less jarring.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Xerophyte posted:

On Chen video as it's the only one up:
- You should probably introduce the hero and his abilities separately before starting the match, just use replay footage or take clips in a bot game.

Very good idea, I will certaily incorperate this, will definitely add to the appeal.

quote:

- Is the "intermediate" stuff for newbies or vets? The video explains a bunch of stuff anyone who's played five games would know and simultaneously assumes that the viewer knows what a jungler does and the like.

True, we will sepeate it into beginner and advanced videos with a more clear cut line between the two types of content. I'm thinking of making beginner videos solo with more edited content and the advanced videos with friends and co-comentators.

quote:

- Not entirely sold on live solo commentary, there's not exactly a shortage of live streams and the like doing the same.

Another idea we had would be to cut in some of the big and important plays from different perspective during or after the match with commenry recorded while watching it, sort of a match summary. Maybe making it a seperate video. So we can have the best of both worlds betweeen more or less unedited raw versions and the more edited readers digest version but without the tasty poo poo talk and drama.

quote:

- That was a reasonably packed game, but would still have benefited from editing out the slow parts, cutting to interesting events elsewhere on the map at times, etc. You have replays, they're handy.

quote:

Apart from cutting out a pause it seems completely unedited; basically a recorded live stream. It's not terrible or anything, just kinda generic and aimed at people who know enough Dota to get by but not enough to know how all the characters work. There's no doubt a market for that, but it doesn't seem very LP:y.

The inspiration was the battlefield 1942 thread for us, I found it entertaining but mostly unedited with the more non-action filled it with explanations and commentary.

The key feature of making this not just like the res tof the live streamw ill be the interaction with SA team in: organzing goon games, goon suggestions for team comps and item build and other such things that make the LPs in this forum something awful LPs.

If thats not enough then I guess we end up asking the enevitable question of what seperates somethingawful LPs from the other done to death LPs on the internet? The answer is obviously the interaction with this specific community.

Niggurath posted:

You're saying 'uhhhh' way too much, so I'd suggest post commentary or maybe a light script to get down some points to discuss. Also for the beginner video it took you about 3 minutes to even get into a match which is something you might want to edit out as most people might not want to sit through 3 minutes of lobby excitement. It also doesn't help when you start out a video 'Yeah, this game is a MOBA....but I don't know what that means'. Prepare for your videos ahead of time and learn simple explanatory poo poo before hand. I'd also try to figure out ways to speed up or shorten videos because when I saw that the video was close to an hour, then my brain pretty much shut off (especially as a new person to the game, I don't want to see something that long as an introduction). Also it seems to be splitting hairs about this but why are you LP'ing a closed beta game that is still relatively new to pretty much everyone who isn't in the beta? I mean maybe it has the same attraction as something like Blood Bowl, but for that there was a tourney set up among people. This just seems like you being pro in a highly competitive game and that doesn't seem like it would be that entertaining for random people to watch.

Like I aid WYA gets way more into his grove 5 or so minutes into that game with commentary, I guess for a good idea of what the final product will look like skip the first 5 minutes. Will defenitely need to redo that video, it has a huge editing error in the middle.

Regarding the interest, we hope to establish a good enough OP that random people will be able to follow these games. The point is definitely not going to be to 'show off ' in the end. We hope to offer a variety of videos of which these solo commentaries will only be a part of. WYA is pretty drat good at it when he gets his flow going.

ghosTTy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 20, 2012

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I suppose I'm expecting different things from a "beginner" DotA video. I wouldn't mind seeing a more polished video, with edits and sidebars and post-commentary - as a stranger to the game that would add a lot more value for me. But I'm getting into backseat driver territory, so I'll end by saying it feels like your LP is preaching to the choir of DotA players, rather than showing me why this is a good game, and what level of strategy you can achieve.

Edit: You pretty much answered my concerns in the previous post

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I have never played any of the games mentioned in your post. I thought the commentary and gameplay were all over the place for an introductory video. I would definitely recommend doing your audio in post if what you're showing will be your current workflow.

Obviously just my opinion (and I honestly no gently caress all about the game you're playing, so not much credibility here), but I would probably change your workflow like so:

-Figure out what you want to describe on a micro level (The abilities of the character, strategies that can be done with them, etc...)
-Do a small, heavily post-produced audio/video of the above. Like a highlight reel with explanation over the top of it ("This is Lich, he's a support character, this is how he supports his team, this is how that support helps his team, etc...").
-Show a full match with live commentary over the top of it that illustrates the above.
-Rinse and repeat for however much of the game you want to show.

Would be a lot more recording and post-production involved that your current workflow, but I think it'd make for much more enjoyable videos that only convey what you want them to convey.

e;fb

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

ThePriceIsRight posted:

The inspiration was the battlefield 1942 thread for us, I found it entertaining but mostly unedited with the more non-action filled it with explanations and commentary.

One thing to note is that it was done using post commentary.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Vinestalk posted:

I have never played any of the games mentioned in your post. I thought the commentary and gameplay were all over the place for an introductory video. I would definitely recommend doing your audio in post if what you're showing will be your current workflow.

Obviously just my opinion (and I honestly no gently caress all about the game you're playing, so not much credibility here), but I would probably change your workflow like so:

-Figure out what you want to describe on a micro level (The abilities of the character, strategies that can be done with them, etc...)
-Do a small, heavily post-produced audio/video of the above. Like a highlight reel with explanation over the top of it ("This is Lich, he's a support character, this is how he supports his team, this is how that support helps his team, etc...").
-Show a full match with live commentary over the top of it that illustrates the above.
-Rinse and repeat for however much of the game you want to show.

Would be a lot more recording and post-production involved that your current workflow, but I think it'd make for much more enjoyable videos that only convey what you want them to convey.

I think you're right in that with the introductory videos need to be more coherently organized and more heavily edited. I think those will be the ones that have post game commentary until new comers are comfortable enough following the game to watch some of the more raw matches.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Let's Play Radiant Historia!

I've been wanting to try my hand at LPing for a while, and finally decided to give it a go - I'm a bit nervous, as I know there are a lot of mistakes to make, but I made a test post, and would really appreciate any advice/criticism to help make it ready to actually post.

Also, I'm sorry if my commentary isn't the best, I started writing it a little late (read, 2am) and didn't stop until several hours later - again, general comments on what works, what doesn't, and what I could add or should remove would all be greatly appreciated.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 20, 2012

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I...feel so inferior...:negative:

What avisynth functions did you use to do those zooms? Any ideas for transitions I can use for my videos?

Edit: Hmmm...how about "animate"? Having the view slide from one screen to another would look pretty good and also be clean.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 20, 2012

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

SSNeoman posted:

I...feel so inferior...:negative:

What avisynth functions did you use to do those zooms? Any ideas for transitions I can use for my videos?

Edit: Hmmm...how about "animate"? Having the view slide from one screen to another would look pretty good and also be clean.

Yes, they're done with animate - I made a small wrapper function which generates a 1024x768 clip and layers a point resized input clip into it (because animate can't return a clip that changes size), and then a second animate that layers that clip into the larger 1280x768 space. The real meat of it though are a series of functions which read data from some global variables about the current rendered size and position of the 2 screens, then animate from those to a particular style based on the particular function I called (eg the top screen at 4x etc) and then store those final positions and sizes in those global variables it read from initially, so, you can bounce from one style to the next without having to worry about what state things were to begin with - I was surprised I was able to do it, to be honest with you, but it seemed to work out really nicely from a technical standpoint (with a few caveats)

I was aiming to see what people thought about it in general (eg if it was a waste of time due to being too busy, or if it just comes across as showing off and isn't really worthwhile), and then check I'm not doing anything dire with it in the TSF later + get some advice on improving it.

In terms of your video, I'm not sure which effects would look best, plus technically I have no idea what's going on, but, since it doesn't seem to look like there's any reason to need to see both screens at once, you could definitely use animate to sweep over from one screen to the other. The trick to this would be to generate a blank clip and then use the layer filter to put your upper and lower screens into it with an animate call. I'd get you a function to do it right now but my avisynthing computer is turned off.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

First of all, there is an ongoing LP about the game, here. It seems to have stopped at the moment, but DarkHamsterlord has been soldiering on for a year or so. Asking him about whether he's going to continue the LP would be nice, or maybe you could just carry on from the last update. JRPG don't have a lot of replayability, and watching 30-odd posts that more or less replay the previous thread is going to be boring.

Technical stuff: Screenshots are OK, small size and readable. I'd like to see bigger portraits, because the quality and detail are good enough for it, but that's just my opinion. Other people may think that smaller mugshots make the text easier to read.

Finally, I feel that you are trying too hard to make fun at the game. You don't need to comment on each and every picture, specially considering how many JRPG clichés the game manages to avoid.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Crassus posted:

First of all, there is an ongoing LP about the game, here. It seems to have stopped at the moment, but DarkHamsterlord has been soldiering on for a year or so. Asking him about whether he's going to continue the LP would be nice, or maybe you could just carry on from the last update. JRPG don't have a lot of replayability, and watching 30-odd posts that more or less replay the previous thread is going to be boring.

Technical stuff: Screenshots are OK, small size and readable. I'd like to see bigger portraits, because the quality and detail are good enough for it, but that's just my opinion. Other people may think that smaller mugshots make the text easier to read.

Finally, I feel that you are trying too hard to make fun at the game. You don't need to comment on each and every picture, specially considering how many JRPG clichés the game manages to avoid.

Ah, bugger, I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out, and what I could do better - I'll probably not do it for now, unless that LP stops. Maybe I'll try something else. I was actually toying with doing an LP of the Etrian Odyssey series, and I see it's been requested and such - maybe I'll give that a shot. Thanks again for the advice!

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 20, 2012

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I am also a "Stupid Newbie" who wishes to create his first LP. I posted a test post for my SSLP of Astro Boy: Omega Factor. Any criticism is appreciated!

I understand that a test OP as well as a test update is advised for the SSLP. I included the prologue section of the game after the introduction all in the test post. Basically my LP will consist of transcribing dialogue with intermittent images of dialogue and gameplay, nothing out of the ordinary. However, I will be making asides every now and then about relevant facts, gameplay, and bios of characters, as well as a handful of sarcastic comments and jokes along the way.

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

I don't see any problems with the actual commentary. I will say to make those screenshots at least twice as big, though. It's hard to read that small. Someone did the same thing a few days ago with a DS LP, and it looked much better stretched.

Hopefully someone familiar with DS games can come in and tell you how to make them bigger without them being blurry. I myself don't know how to do that off the top of my head.

Mezurya fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 20, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

First thing off having an actual update is necessary for the critiquing. Second thing those screenshots are tiny. Can you make them at all bigger?

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I understand that a test OP as well as a test update is advised for the SSLP. I included the prologue section of the game after the introduction all in the test post. Basically my LP will consist of transcribing dialogue with intermittent images of dialogue and gameplay, nothing out of the ordinary. However, I will be making asides every now and then about relevant facts, gameplay, and bios of characters, as well as a handful of sarcastic comments and jokes along the way.

This is expected, you do not have to tell us that you will be doing this, and don't be boring for the love of god. Making jokes might sound nice, but they aren't required to make a good lp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I am also a "Stupid Newbie" who wishes to create his first LP. I posted a test post for my SSLP of Astro Boy: Omega Factor. Any criticism is appreciated!

How about showing some actual gameplay, and how you expect to make a good SSLP out of a sidescrolling action game? That'd be a nice start. The mini paragraph on how you expect to do it is, uh, something but it doesn't give any indication of how good an idea it is in practice.

• Locked thread