Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

It doesn't generate the sales to demand one sadly.

Really? I just assumed it was a case of them knowing what would deserve a hardcover in 6 months when they launched the New 52. I'm sure there was a time for Animal Man where it could've turned that around, but I get the feeling that nobody expected it to perform as well as it did.

BioTech posted:

I bought the trade and didn't really enjoy it. What do you guys like about it?

While there are some really pretty things in there, I didn't like most of the art and the story seems to be crawling. I feel that in the whole trade nothing happened but "there is a bad thing, lets run from it" on repeat for page after page.

I love Sweet Tooth and bought this because of Lemire's name on it, but felt very disappointed.

I don't really know what to say to this, as it felt similar enough in tone to Sweet Tooth that I usually compare them (better comparrison than Essex County).

What I like about Animal Man:
-Travel Foreman's artistic style is something that we don't really see a lot of outside of Vertigo. It feels like he's much more of a gesture artist than others and his facial expressions were spectacular.
-Again on the art, Foreman has drawn some of the creepiest scenes I've seen in comcis in some time. It's disturbing without being grotesque.
-Buddy, despite being the hero, is imperfect, but not in the trendy broken "multi-dimensional" hero way. His imperfection is that of every father and of everyone who tries to reconcile what they do with who they are.
-Ellen is possibly the best portrayed female character at DC right now. I've only read Morrison and Lemire's Animal Man runs, but both of them really hammered home just how great she is at everything she does.

There's more, but to me, Animal Man feels like the perfect synthesis of horror, superheroes and family. I don't think I've found a single thing I could complain about. I've barely noticed losing Foreman on the art just because Pugh is that good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BioTech posted:

I bought the trade and didn't really enjoy it. What do you guys like about it?

While there are some really pretty things in there, I didn't like most of the art and the story seems to be crawling. I feel that in the whole trade nothing happened but "there is a bad thing, lets run from it" on repeat for page after page.

I love Sweet Tooth and bought this because of Lemire's name on it, but felt very disappointed.

The art is definitely a big draw for me too. Most of the new 52 books I've picked up are the ones with the most striking art (This, Batwomen, Wonder Woman), so I'm certainly coming in optimistically, but I really like the balance of a fleshed out character with a "real" life and not just someone who is a full-time super hero with an occasional nod to a life outside the costume. I'll also second a suggestion to check out swamp thing as the red, the green, and the rot are all being tied together.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know how kosher it is to talk about Kickstarters here, but this one is probably worth it. Sullivan's Sluggers, to me, would have gone unnoticed except for the very significant fact that it features art by James Stokoe. Look at that art, seriously. You can probably safely ignore all the words because your eyes will just be looking at the art, but I'm sure the words will be okay as well.

Anyway, the project announced stretch goals, one of which would be an omnibus size and another would be a slipcase. I just really want the omnibus size, so hopefully there will be some movement generated here!

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I wasn't sure the best thread to post this in, but I'm wondering what websites or blogs goons follow when it comes to graphic novels and hardcovers? I've been updating my Google Reader and now looking for some good non-superhero comic blogs - whether it's news, upcoming release dates and/or reviews.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
I find out about most new releases through this thread.

Comics blogs I follow:

Comics Alliance
Comic Book Resources
iFanboy

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
BPRD hardcover vol 4 popped up in the Dark Horse September solicts. Which is nice. Does anyone think there's a chance that the spin-off mini-series such as Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson will eventually be hardcovered?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

friendo55 posted:

I wasn't sure the best thread to post this in, but I'm wondering what websites or blogs goons follow when it comes to graphic novels and hardcovers? I've been updating my Google Reader and now looking for some good non-superhero comic blogs - whether it's news, upcoming release dates and/or reviews.
It's superhero-heavy, but The Collected Editions blog puts up trade solicitations, and reviews just trades and hardcovers, I believe.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Shameless posted:

BPRD hardcover vol 4 popped up in the Dark Horse September solicts. Which is nice. Does anyone think there's a chance that the spin-off mini-series such as Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson will eventually be hardcovered?

Well there aren't any which have enough issues yet. I think Abe, LJ and Witchfinder are all on 10 issues each, and the HCs have about... 18? 20?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Well there aren't any which have enough issues yet. I think Abe, LJ and Witchfinder are all on 10 issues each, and the HCs have about... 18? 20?

Ah, cheers for that. I only started getting into the Mignola-verse with the Hellboy library editions so I wasn't too sure what was out there. Might just pick up the trades if I can find them for cheap.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Woot, DC Archive editions keep going with silver age WW solicited!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shameless posted:

Ah, cheers for that. I only started getting into the Mignola-verse with the Hellboy library editions so I wasn't too sure what was out there. Might just pick up the trades if I can find them for cheap.

Lobster Johnson might be a bit difficult to find as it is out of print.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Amazon has a 1440 page Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Omnibus. Are DC out of their mind or do they just like seeing cheaply glued books fall apart ?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm posting this in the hopes that someone can just glance at their bookcase and give me a quick answer, and not have to go through the half hour of failed headscratching and googling I just attempted, but here goes:

I collect Ultimate Marvel hardcover collections. I don't follow the individual issues or even read this forum enough to know whats going on aside from using amazon every couple years to catch up on what new hardcovers have come out since I last looked. My current collection is all pre re-launch and pre-Ultimatum, and it seems like Marvel has really hosed up naming and issue numbers since then. The following is a list of the latest hardcovers for each series I currently own. Can someone tell me what I'm missing to be as up-to-date as possible when it comes to hardcover Ultimate Marvel comics?

Ultimate Spider-Man vol. 11
The Ultimates 3
Ultimate X-Men vol. 8
Ultimate Fantastic Four vol. 6

I also have the Ultimate Galactus trilogy (I think it was called Ultimate Nightmare before Galactus was revealed?), have there been any other special story arcs like that outside the main books since then?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

PelvicNerve posted:

Amazon has a 1440 page Teen Titans by Geoff Johns Omnibus. Are DC out of their mind or do they just like seeing cheaply glued books fall apart ?

DC Trade program is run by retarded monkeys

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

The Bramble posted:

I'm posting this in the hopes that someone can just glance at their bookcase and give me a quick answer, and not have to go through the half hour of failed headscratching and googling I just attempted, but here goes:

I collect Ultimate Marvel hardcover collections. I don't follow the individual issues or even read this forum enough to know whats going on aside from using amazon every couple years to catch up on what new hardcovers have come out since I last looked. My current collection is all pre re-launch and pre-Ultimatum, and it seems like Marvel has really hosed up naming and issue numbers since then. The following is a list of the latest hardcovers for each series I currently own. Can someone tell me what I'm missing to be as up-to-date as possible when it comes to hardcover Ultimate Marvel comics?

The Ultimates 3
Ultimate X-Men vol. 8

I also have the Ultimate Galactus trilogy (I think it was called Ultimate Nightmare before Galactus was revealed?), have there been any other special story arcs like that outside the main books since then?

Ultimate Spider-Man vol 12 just came out.
The Death of Ultimate Spiderman omnibus has been announced, and it looks like it is what follows vol 12. No idea if there will be a USM v13.

For the Ultimates, you definitely have the good books in the series.

The Wreck
Aug 16, 2004

I think I brained my damage

The Bramble posted:

The Ultimates 3
Ultimate X-Men vol. 8

If we're only talking about Oversized Hardcovers, you're missing:

Ultimate Power
Ultimate X-Men v.9
Ultimatum
Ultimatum Companion
Ultimate Doomsday
Ultimate Spider-Man v.12
Ultimate Spider-Man - Death of Spider-Man

But, there's been a bunch of Ultimate stuff that only released in Premier Hardcover, such as:

Ultimate Iron Man I
Ultimate Iron Man II
Ultimate Iron Man vs Hulk: Human
Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk
March on Ultimatum
Ultimate Origins
Ultimate Iron Man: Armor Wars
Ultimate Thor
Return of Thor
Ultimate Captain America
Ultimate Hawkeye
Ultimate X: Origins
Ultimate X-Men (version 2) vol.1
Ultimate Spider-Man (version 3) vol. 1 and 2 (these may eventually get reprinted in an oversize though)

Also: in paperback only:

Ultimate Daredevil and Elektra
Ultimate Elektra
Ultimate Vision

There's also two paperbacks of collected annuals, but most of those are reprinted in the hardcovers.

Now, all I did was glance at my bookcase to get this info, so I might be missing something.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
How could you forget Ultimate Marvel Team Up and Ultimate Adventures???

I guess those are probably paperback only though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

How could you forget Ultimate Marvel Team Up and Ultimate Adventures???

I guess those are probably paperback only though.

Ultimate Marvel Team Up has an OSHC. It's hard as gently caress to find though.

The Wreck
Aug 16, 2004

I think I brained my damage

Rhyno posted:

Ultimate Marvel Team Up has an OSHC. It's hard as gently caress to find though.

Oh yeah, Ultimate Marvel Team Up has an OSHC, it's right there at the begining of my set. About half the stories in it got retconned, but it's still a great collection of art. Good luck finding it at anywhere near a reasonable price.

I.... don't have Ultimate Adventures.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Just got the Ultimate Spider-Man Omnibus a good week ahead of its' scheduled delivery date (June 27, says the website I ordered it from). It's glued together well.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
The new Batman hardcover is almost out!

http://amzn.com/1401233368
http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/product.php?productid=33946

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's out tomorrow! Woop Woop!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What's so special about this? They already have a Black Glove HC? Is there more stuff in this one?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
It's Batman and Son AND The Black Glove together. It's kind of like the Omnivore editions of Chew which collect two volumes of the TPB.

It also means you get to buy this swanky new hardcover and give out your B&S and Black Glove trades to friends to share the love. Which I did as soon as I heard about this edition.

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009

The Missing Link posted:

It's Batman and Son AND The Black Glove together. It's kind of like the Omnivore editions of Chew which collect two volumes of the TPB.

It also means you get to buy this swanky new hardcover and give out your B&S and Black Glove trades to friends to share the love. Which I did as soon as I heard about this edition.

It's also an oversized hardcover. So it will now match the rest of Morrison's deluxe Batman HC's.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

solidrooster posted:

It's also an oversized hardcover. So it will now match the rest of Morrison's deluxe Batman HC's.

Except for Time and the Batman.

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges
Speaking of the other Morrison OSHCs, how impossible is it to find Batman and Robin deluxe HC 2? I've been looking around and it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Any tips?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

krut posted:

Speaking of the other Morrison OSHCs, how impossible is it to find Batman and Robin deluxe HC 2? I've been looking around and it seems to be out of stock everywhere. Any tips?

Bite the bullet and buy one on amazon. Its never going to be reprinted as a single book in hardcover again so if you wat it youll have to pay the premium.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

krut posted:

Be a man and buy the Absolute edition when that comes out

krut
Jun 5, 2005

ask me about oranges

Shameless posted:

Be a man and buy the Absolute edition when that comes out

Haha do you really think they'll do that?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

krut posted:

Haha do you really think they'll do that?

What do you mean? They've already announced the B&R Absolute.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bairfanx posted:

Except for Time and the Batman.
This is still terribly nonsensical. I realized only last month I hadn't read TatB so I bought a used softcover, out of spite. (yeah, I sure showed them!)

I don't get why it didn't end up in RIP or something.

I also realized I was missing the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul in my Morrison collection. I bought it and almost regretted it. I can definitely see why this wasn't oversized.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
Batman/Deathblow Deluxe Edition HC
Writer: Brian Azzarello
Artists: Lee Bermejo and Tim Bradstreet
Collects: Batman/Deathblow: after the fire #1-3
$22.99 US, 168 pg

Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition HC
Writer: Pat Mills
Artist: Kevin O’Neill
Collects: Marshal Law #1-6, Marshal Law: FEAR AND LOATHING, Marshal Law TAKES MANHATTAN, Marshal Law: KINGDOM OF THE BLIND, Marshal Law: THE HATEFUL DEAD, Marshal Law: SUPER BABYLON and Marshal Law: SECRET TRIBUNAL #1-2
$49.99 US, 480 pg

Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus HC
Writers: Louise Simonson, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Dennis Janke, Roger Stern, Karl Kesel, Gerard Jones and William Messner-Loebs
Artists: Jon Bogdanove, Dennis Janke, Brett Breeding, Pete Berardi, Joe Rubinstein, Dennis Janke, Tom Grummett, Doug Hazlewood, Jackson Guice, Denis Rodier, Rick Burchett, M.D. Bright, Romeo Tanghal, Walter Simonson, Mike Machlan, Curt Swan and Trevor Scott
Collects: SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL #17-26, SUPERMAN #73-82, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #496-505, ACTION COMICS #683-691, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #69, SUPERMAN: THE LEGACY OF SUPERMAN #1 and GREEN LANTERN #46
$99.99 US, 954 pg

Absolute Top 10 HC
Writer: Alan Moore
Artists: Gene Ha and Zander Cannon
Collects: TOP 10 #1-12, TOP 10: THE FORTY-NINERS, SMAX #1-5 and a story from AMERICA’S BEST COMICS SPECIAL #1
$99.99 US, 592 pg

The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 3 GC
Writers: Marv Wolfman and George Pérez
Artists: George Pérez, Mike DeCarlo, Steve Rude, Al Gordon, Carmine Infantino, Rich Buckler, Bob Smith, Dick Giordano, Ron Randall, Chuck Patton, Romeo Tanghal, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez and Dan Jurgens
Collects: TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS #45-61 and 66-67, THE NEW TEEN TITANS #38, THE NEW TEEN TITANS #1-6 and SECRET ORIGINS ANNUAL #3
$75.00 US, 792 pg

ABSOLUTE TOP 10 MOTHERFUCKERS!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Omg Marshall Law!

I'll probably get e Superman one too. I'm a sucker for it and Bane vs. Batman. My defining DC events sigh.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Glenn Danzig posted:

Superman: The Death and Return of Superman Omnibus HC
Writers: Louise Simonson, Dan Jurgens, Jerry Ordway, Dennis Janke, Roger Stern, Karl Kesel, Gerard Jones and William Messner-Loebs
Artists: Jon Bogdanove, Dennis Janke, Brett Breeding, Pete Berardi, Joe Rubinstein, Dennis Janke, Tom Grummett, Doug Hazlewood, Jackson Guice, Denis Rodier, Rick Burchett, M.D. Bright, Romeo Tanghal, Walter Simonson, Mike Machlan, Curt Swan and Trevor Scott
Collects: SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL #17-26, SUPERMAN #73-82, ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #496-505, ACTION COMICS #683-691, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #69, SUPERMAN: THE LEGACY OF SUPERMAN #1 and GREEN LANTERN #46
$99.99 US, 954 pg

Wasn't there already one of these? Does this one include some stuff left out of the original maybe?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teek posted:

Wasn't there already one of these? Does this one include some stuff left out of the original maybe?

This is a hardcover.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This is a hardcover.

Also the paperback was binded correctly.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Rhyno posted:

This is a hardcover.

So was the old one, you ninny.

From Ferjo Byroy on the MMWB

Ferjo Byroy posted:

2007 version - 784 pages. Contents are MOS 17-26, Superman 73-82, Adv. of Superman 496-505, Action 683-684 & 687-691, GL 46, JLA 69.
(The 1993 World Without a Superman tpb contained missing Action 685-686, Legacy of Superman 1 (stories 1 & 4))
2013 version - 954 pages. Contents are MOS 17-26, Superman 73-82, Adv. of Superman 496-505, Action 683-691, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #69, SUPERMAN: THE LEGACY OF SUPERMAN #1 and GREEN LANTERN #46

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Glenn Danzig posted:

So was the old one, you ninny.

From Ferjo Byroy on the MMWB

Oh yeah, I forgot that those actually made it to retail since like 70% if the were falling apart when they shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
gently caress yeah, Absolute Top 10