Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I read once that if you have it placed during your period it's effective right away. If it's placed in the middle of your cycle you should wait 7 days.

But I've always heard to give it all a 2 week break (sex, tampons, baths) afterwards anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Geolicious posted:

I read once that if you have it placed during your period it's effective right away. If it's placed in the middle of your cycle you should wait 7 days.

But I've always heard to give it all a 2 week break (sex, tampons, baths) afterwards anyhow.

I was told one week break and I think most people in here weren't even told that long. I don't think you need to wait more than 7 days for it to be effective, maybe a month tops if you really want to be sure. Even pill BC doesn't take more than 7 days, right? Or am I loving it up?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
With the pill I was told that if I started it the week of my period I was covered. If I started mid cycle, to use backup until the next period.

Of course, what we're told and what's true aren't always the same.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

When I got mine inserted 2 years ago, my doctor told me that it was effective immediately. It could possibly take a few days for the hormones to kick in (I don't know), but the device itself is a physical barrier to implantation. If you get it inserted during your period, you're not ovulating anyways. Of course, the day I got it I was in no mood for sexy fun times, and I think we waited 5 days for things to be comfortable.

Aceofblue fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 20, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I did not die.

But lord did I want to. I had psyched my self up about the pain quite a bit and was surprised that it hurt much worse than I had expected and I have a very high pain tolerance. When the sounder hit the top of my uterus (I measured a 7!) I thought I was going to pass out. And then when the little arms deployed I got quite dizzy.

But my doc did a great job of talking me through. She had some trouble with my retroverted uterus, but once she got the angle right, we were up and running.

But, on the bright side it was mercifully quick. I did hyperventilate some. But god did it hurt.

My friend drove me home and I am really glad she came. I needed someone to drive me for sure. I was way shaky on the way out.

Right now, I am just super crampy, but nothing worse than my worst period as a teen.

Here's to 5 years of worry free BC!

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Geolicious posted:

I did not die.

But lord did I want to. I had psyched my self up about the pain quite a bit and was surprised that it hurt much worse than I had expected and I have a very high pain tolerance. When the sounder hit the top of my uterus (I measured a 7!) I thought I was going to pass out. And then when the little arms deployed I got quite dizzy.

But my doc did a great job of talking me through. She had some trouble with my retroverted uterus, but once she got the angle right, we were up and running.

But, on the bright side it was mercifully quick. I did hyperventilate some. But god did it hurt.

My friend drove me home and I am really glad she came. I needed someone to drive me for sure. I was way shaky on the way out.

Right now, I am just super crampy, but nothing worse than my worst period as a teen.

Here's to 5 years of worry free BC!

Congrats and glad you made it through! :glomp: The worry-free bit is a good feeling.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Aceofblue posted:

Congrats and glad you made it through! :glomp: The worry-free bit is a good feeling.

I hope so. I'm having a lot of anxiety about trusting BC. I'm hoping Mirena will remove enough user error (like weight gain and taking the pill on time) to put my mind at ease. My doc tried really hard to allay my fears and let me know I could trust it and enjoy sex again.

I so hope so.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Geolicious posted:

Trip Report

Ok, so this is a weird question, but I've been psyching myself up about maybe getting an implant and I haven't even gone to my drat pap appointment yet. BUT ANYWAY. I know you post a lot in the piercing thread, so.... compare to any specific piercing pain, if there's one in particular you might relate it to?

I feel like such a ridiculous wimp about this poo poo. I've had a gazillion piercings done, but I can't watch the needle going in when I have blood drawn because of a traumatic experience as a child where (maybe :nms:)I was having blood drawn and I started thrashing around and the needle somehow managed to come out of my arm, and went not only INTO, but THROUGH one of my fingers. It took two nurses to hold little 5-year-old me down and pull it out. :( All of that poo poo, on top of my other crazy anxiety that I talked about before is just... augh. I wish I could just never have to go back to any doctor, ever, forever-ever.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
None of my piercings can even compare to the pain I had today.

I am really hoping I don't scare anyone because everyone is different and maybe my retroverted uterus added to my pain, but I'd rather have my conches or helix spiral done a dozen times over than have another IUD put in. Fortunately, I have 5 years to forget about how much it hurt.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Yeah I think it's very much a personal thing. I have a retroverted uterus too, and though it definitely hurt, it was more "oh god this is the worst cramp ever" "oh now I'm just a little crampy ugh" than "MY INSIDES ARE BEING TORN OUT" so it was not that bad. Everyone's different.

It is totally worth it Geolicious. You'll be fine and stop feeling it in a couple days or a week (I was fine to do stuff the next day, just crampy like on a period.). I hope it helps with your anxiety. I think it might be a good idea to see a therapist about that anyway, if possible.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Edit: ^ my anxiety about pregnancy has almost completely disappeared and it's only been two weeks. This is wonderful.

It's definitely per-person. Her sounding hurt like hell, I didn't even realize she'd done it already. Mine only really hurt cause the fricking wings popped open too soon on the first one and whacked my cervix. I'd definitely say to take the day off from classes if you can if/when you get it done, since you probably wouldn't want to be around the idiots while it's still cramping (you're scary when you're mad) :P

And remember that I hadn't really had any cramps since early middle school cause I'd catch em and take an ibuprofen before they ramped up- I'm a complete wimp when it comes to pain :(

Question for the thread: have you ever had cramps so bad that your butthole starts burning too? It's happened a couple times now, and my theory is it's for the same reason that people enjoy anal (the nerves must be connected somehow between there and the vagina or something). Or I could be completely wrong about that, but it felt like diarrhea burn and abated when the cramp did. I don't think I'll ever understand how my body works :/

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Eggplant Wizard posted:

I think it might be a good idea to see a therapist about that anyway, if possible.

You have no idea how badly I need to do this for almost everything. I had one inn grad school and that's probably the most sane I've ever been.

But, now, I don't live within a reasonable distance of one. At least a 75 minute drive to one and I just can't miss half a day of work every week. I dunno, I'll do more research because I know it will benefit me greatly because it has in the past for so many things beyond just this.

I definitely had a MY INSIDES ARE BEING TORN OUT moment during the insertion but by the time I got home, I was just badly cramping and this morning, I'm not feeling too badly, just a little tired and achy. So, it is definitely not a drawn out process. I'mma try to go to work.

Question: Yesterday was ostensibly the first day of my period, even though it didn't make much of a show. Should I expect a period these next few days or am I just going to spot instead?

Do you think I can (carefully) wear a tampon? 90+ degrees and pads are not a good combo.

edit: I forgot to mention that I also had a LEEP a few years back and she told me that had scarred and tightened my cervix some so that probably also added to my discomfort as well. Eggplant is right, it is a person to person deal.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 21, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Expectations for period: no idea, it varies for every woman.

Tampons: I wouldn't. The idea is to keep foreign things out of there so as to reduce risk of infection. Pads suck I know but maybe you could do lighter pantiliners and change them more often?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My gyno said I could if I wanted provided I was careful since they are supposedly sterile, but it is probably best to not for now. I'm terrified of this thing coming or whatnot so I guess I should be as careful as possible.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

That drat Satyr posted:

Ok, so this is a weird question, but I've been psyching myself up about maybe getting an implant and I haven't even gone to my drat pap appointment yet. BUT ANYWAY. I know you post a lot in the piercing thread, so.... compare to any specific piercing pain, if there's one in particular you might relate it to?
I have both an IUD and a bunch of piercings, and I don't think I would really compare the two. I didn't find having the coil put in (or exchanged) painful though, it was mostly weird feeling and like Eggplant Wizard said, sort of like the biggest cramp ever. Probably the only piercing sensation I could compare it to is the weird-and-vaguely-unpleasant feeling of the jewellery being fitted once the actual piercing is done; how it's not majorly painful while they're screwing the ball on the barbell, but it's not the most fun thing and it'd be nice if it was over sooner rather than later.

When I had my coil exchange done they told me no sex for a week beforehand, and that I was protected right away with the new one in, but to be aware of the higher chance of it coming out in the first few weeks. I can't remember what they told me before I had the first one put in but I'd guess it was the same 'no sex for a week beforehand and you're protected right away' advice.

Minnesota Nice.
Sep 1, 2008
And miles to go before I sleep.
And miles to go before I sleep.

That drat Satyr posted:

I feel like such a ridiculous wimp about this poo poo. I've had a gazillion piercings done, but I can't watch the needle going in when I have blood drawn because of a traumatic experience as a child where (maybe :nms:)I was having blood drawn and I started thrashing around and the needle somehow managed to come out of my arm, and went not only INTO, but THROUGH one of my fingers. It took two nurses to hold little 5-year-old me down and pull it out. :( All of that poo poo, on top of my other crazy anxiety that I talked about before is just... augh. I wish I could just never have to go back to any doctor, ever, forever-ever.

Are you talking implant as in IUD or implant as in Implanon? Because Implanon won't really hurt at all. It'll feel like getting a shot.

Die Schafe
Jul 4, 2007
Yup.

Geolicious posted:

My gyno said I could if I wanted provided I was careful since they are supposedly sterile, but it is probably best to not for now. I'm terrified of this thing coming or whatnot so I guess I should be as careful as possible.

I just want to point out that tampons are totally not sterile, and I have no idea where your gyno got the idea that they are from. Nothing about the packaging they come in is even properly sealed...

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Skywriter posted:

Are you talking implant as in IUD or implant as in Implanon? Because Implanon won't really hurt at all. It'll feel like getting a shot.

IUD. We're in the same WoW guild and I've kinda been telling her about what I've just gone through- got mine two weeks ago now :) Her hubby's been kinda listening to the conversations too when he's on, and then I realize the other officer's also online so I feel awkward and completely shut up for a bit *shifty eyes*

Seriously, Satyr, talk to the gyno and take your husband with you. Go through all the pros and cons while all three of you are in the room, and bring up your concerns/fears as well as what you're hoping to get out of it. You'll be fine, and you've got all your kitties to act as heat pads after insertion! :D (note: don't actually try that, my cats at least are wiggly as gently caress and always use my bladder/uterus area as spring boards to leap off my lap).

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Die Schafe posted:

I just want to point out that tampons are totally not sterile, and I have no idea where your gyno got the idea that they are from. Nothing about the packaging they come in is even properly sealed...

My gyno didn't say that, she just told me they'd be OK if I were careful. I always thought they were, but, I guess I was misinformed.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Yeah, tampons are definitely not sterile. Clean, but not sterile.

I hate pads and am currently stuck using them for a while. I definitely recommend the Always Infinity pads over any others I've tried. They are almost as comfortable as cloth pads and a lot thinner. It's still a pad but at least it feels less like a diaper and doesn't make you sweat like crazy down there.

Sorry there was so much pain with your insertion, but I'm glad to hear it's already improved a lot. It takes a little while to relax about the IUD and trust it completely, but you'll get there. For me I became really convinced once I got my first post-insertion period and it was much much lighter than my normal ones. It gave me the confidence that the IUD was actually doing something, you know?

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I bought the Always Infinity on a whim and, yes, they actually are OK. Right now, I'm not doing anything requiring more than a pantyliner, so that's a bonus, too. I felt like an awkward teen again buying pads and liners. I hadn't bought those things for 13 or so years.

26 hours after insertion and I am only having the lightest of twinges. My legs are sore though from tensing from the pain. I decided not to go in today and just have lounged the day away and that's helped a lot. I made myself pancakes! Now that I'm not hurting anymore I'm a little more reassured it's in right and proper.

I'm curious about my first period. And I hope it doesn't ruin my vacay. My periods had gotten pretty drat spotty on the pill. She told me I might spot for 6 to 8 weeks but then she winked at me and told me that what she had to say and it was hardly ever that long.

I don't know why I thought tampons were sterile. I feel like the biggest dope now.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Skywriter posted:

I meant implant as in an IUD.

Also, you're all awesome for being cool and answering my weird questions, so thanks for that. :h: I'm still trying to figure out if I can just convince them to cut all this poo poo out of me and bill it to insurance (yeah probably not happening, I know...) but... ugh. It's sad that I'd rather go under the knife than have the equivalent of a slightly-rough pelvic exam done, just in terms of anticipation anxiety alone. :|

That Damn Satyr fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 22, 2012

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a pain akin to mittelschmerz today. Is that OK? It's not severe in the least and just on the one side. It's more of a big twinge than pain. I'm operating on the assumption that if I'm not in severe pain and/or bleeding heavy I'm OK.

I'm barely spotting. I'm not complaining at all but I kind of thought my period would continue through as scheduled. I guess not.

Ladies who have Mirena, were you able to tell your first period on Mirena apart from just spotting? It occurred to me that I'm actually going to have to track my periods again. I will miss the pill in that regard.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
I'm actually around day two of my first period since insertion! And I was jabbering about it to my husband last night cause I felt like poo poo for various reasons and needed to talk about -something- >.< I've been spotting since insertion, which has mostly been just a tiny bit of blood on the pantyliners and on the toilet paper when I wiped. And then a day or two ago I started getting some clots on the toilet paper, and then yesterday evening it actually started falling into the toilet on its own (which is when I count a period as "fully started" and start using tampons).

Also oww period cramps. At least I'm allowed using tampons again if I need to leave the house for any reason (like my job interview earlier today!). I called the clinic to make double triple sure it was okay, and they said yes :D

And Geo- I was getting that "twinge on one side" thing too, it comes and goes for a short while and then doesn't start up again for several hours/ a day or two have passed. Happened again last night I think too, not sure how long overall it'll keep going. And as a note about the period- mine was supposed to start around the time it did, so I'm assuming yours should start around the same time your body's used to, at least at first? Although you're coming off a different BC and I didn't have anything other than condoms til now, so that might make a difference...

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'm supposed to be having one now, but I'm really not. Minor, minor spotting. Maybe it will speed back up? I guess I will try to expect it when I was supposed to get my next one. I dunno. I have a feeling it's going to wait and gently caress up my vacation.

Fat Lazy Unicorn
Sep 19, 2007
I have a copper IUD but I also have the pain in one side and I'm going into my fourth year with it. I've had the doctor check several times to make sure it's in properly because of the random pain but everything is always fine. I don't worry about it anymore but if you're nervous I'd call your doctor.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It comes and goes. It feels just like mittelschmerz, but I can't imagine I'd be ovulating(?). I'm technically on my placebo week. I don't how this whole switcheroo works.

I don't know that I'm nervous. I'm not in severe pain or bleeding heavily. I guess I'll just wait and see. I go on the 18th for a follow up. If it's still persistent by a week or so, maybe I will call.

It's more annoying than anything. I hope it's not a sign of something more serious.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Geolicious posted:

Yeah, I'm supposed to be having one now, but I'm really not. Minor, minor spotting. Maybe it will speed back up? I guess I will try to expect it when I was supposed to get my next one. I dunno. I have a feeling it's going to wait and gently caress up my vacation.

:pcgaming:GET A CUP, NEVER WORRY ABOUT YOUR PERIOD AGAIN.:pcgaming:

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I'd be afraid to use one with the Mirena now. I've never used one and I hate to gently caress up my IUD trying to get it right. I know the odds are probably low, but I have lovely luck.

Besides, I don't know how a cup would keep my period from snarling up my vacay if that's when it shows. It's about convincing the guy to do it anyway.

Die Schafe
Jul 4, 2007
Yup.

Geolicious posted:

I'd be afraid to use one with the Mirena now. I've never used one and I hate to gently caress up my IUD trying to get it right. I know the odds are probably low, but I have lovely luck.

Besides, I don't know how a cup would keep my period from snarling up my vacay if that's when it shows. It's about convincing the guy to do it anyway.

Can't help with the guy part, but wait a month and then get yourself a cup, it's the best, even with a Mirena. I got my cup after I got my IUD and I know I'm not the only one, and as long as you pinch the cup to break the seal and your strings aren't super long, you're fine. Cups are seriously the best period inventions ever!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

That drat Satyr posted:

I've had my nipples pierced and the pain of getting my Paragard put in was not nearly as bad as getting my nipples pierced. I think it was on par with getting my lip pierced, it was just a very different type of pain.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone on pills (such as Yasmin) has had their boobs grow? I've been losing weight so they should have gone down, but I'm now a D instead of a B.

Will they shrink down if I stop taking them? I don't plan on it since I love what they do to my skin and weight, but who knows what might happen.
I'm really weirded out!

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Good god, I hope you can't sneeze this drat thing out. I cannot stop sneezing today.

The twinge in my side is gone today, which is nice. I'm having small cramps, though, that kinda feel like I might get my period.

Regarding pills and boobs: My boobs got bigger the first few months I was on the pill. Of course, several years later I gained a lot of weight, so I don't think they'll shrink now.

edit: Dammit. The side twinge came back.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 23, 2012

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
Like I said, Geo, it's been two and a half weeks and it was till happening to me as soon as a couple days ago :/ I personally think it's just everything getting used to the new hormone levels, but if you're worried you might want to call the gyno.

I'm helping a friend with a themed party, and today we went walking in the woods behind her house to find places to hide hints (we're exploring for a lost city in the Amazon!) and I've been having this solid, mostly annoying but it still sorta hurts cramp since about an hour before I left to visit her and it's now been about 5 hours. That, interspersed with a few really big ones here and there (that thankfully subside fairly quickly but still hurt like a bitch), and the heat today made for an un-fun walk :( I'm really really looking forward to when this poo poo settles down and stops, cramps suck and it's making me pissy and I've snapped at my hubby a few times this week which I do maybe three times a year normally and it's killing my appetite >.<

Despite all that, I think in a month or two I'll be looking back to now and laughing it off because it's still completely worth all of this. I normally give up when things start to get too difficult, so going through this despite everything is certainly a learning experience :)

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
About and hour after that edit, it settled back down. Just the occasional cramp. Barely any spotting.

I don't what I'm going to do about checking the strings. I tried to find them today after I took a shower and no dice. She told me she left them a bit longer, too. She told me not to worry if I couldn't find them, but I'm not sure how I supposed to keep tabs on it.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

For what it's worth, I would get the weird one-sided twinge off and on the whole time I had the Mirena (6.5 years). It got less frequent, but would crop up every now and again. I had it happen the day before I got the second one out in fact.

The cramping will go away but it can take a while. It took a solid 3 months for me to stop cramping after sex. Mind you it was never very bad, quite mild compared to my period cramps, but it took a while to go away. I'd say the day-to-day cramping was gone within about a month or so for me. When I got the first one replaced with a new one 5 years in I didn't have to go through that adjustment phase again though, so it seems like it just takes a while for your uterus to get used to having something in it.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Ceridwen posted:

For what it's worth, I would get the weird one-sided twinge off and on the whole time I had the Mirena (6.5 years). It got less frequent, but would crop up every now and again. I had it happen the day before I got the second one out in fact.

The cramping will go away but it can take a while. It took a solid 3 months for me to stop cramping after sex. Mind you it was never very bad, quite mild compared to my period cramps, but it took a while to go away. I'd say the day-to-day cramping was gone within about a month or so for me. When I got the first one replaced with a new one 5 years in I didn't have to go through that adjustment phase again though, so it seems like it just takes a while for your uterus to get used to having something in it.

Cramping after sex? O.o We've done it a few times since I got mine in and I've never had that happen.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for sharing, Ceridwen. That makes me feel better. I wasn't overly concerned because it wasn't severe, but glad to know it's probably normal. I keep telling myself my body is having to adjust.

I had little *ahem* self love today and got a tiny cramp, but like you said, nothing major.

I'm just surprised I'm not spotting. I figured, knowing me, I'd be spotting everywhere. Not that I'm complaining...

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

BlueOccamy posted:

Cramping after sex? O.o We've done it a few times since I got mine in and I've never had that happen.

Lucky! I cramp STILL after sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Ugh, I had some weird spotting for a few hours earlier this week after not having a period since the month after having my Mirena put in back in September... now I'm all paranoid. Gonna go pee on a stick in the morning.

• Locked thread