Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
It took me a sec to pronounce it correctly, but Sarswapagus was something I was not ready for. Ridiculous puns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
I like to think that there will be, one day, some completely naive archive reader that will just totally never predict any twist that happens in Homestuck.
All of those anti-climatic and flippant reveals will seem so mean to that person. It's hilarious.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Thundarr posted:

That may well be the shittiest pun in the comic so far.

Also they appear to be living in one of the bunker... things whose name I can't remember right now.

Meteors within the game universe?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Holy poo poo UU and uu share a body

I am completely amazed and surprised by this shocking twist revelation.

Also, uu's red cheek spirals confirmed by this point.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wondering what the point of the doorway would be if you're always chained up in the room. I mean, they obviously got there through there and will leave through it, but that's just got to be there taunting them.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
Someone comes by occasionally and drops meat and candy down for them, so that they don't starve.

This person, of course, is Vriska.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with how early we figured that one out. I think that was first called in this thread like over a month ago.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Acidophilus posted:

I like to think that there will be, one day, some completely naive archive reader that will just totally never predict any twist that happens in Homestuck.
All of those anti-climatic and flippant reveals will seem so mean to that person. It's hilarious.

She's not caught up yet, but the liveblog treestuck is pretty much this already. It's hilarious.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Starmaker posted:

Someone comes by occasionally and drops meat and candy down for them, so that they don't starve.

Nah, she will have eaten the meat/candy before that.

Because she's fat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Acidophilus posted:

I would be one of those people if I hadn't been following fan speculation since day one :v:

Okay, the body sharing thing I probably would have figured out, but there are a thousand other things that other people noticed and everyone started instantly taking for granted that I never would have noticed on my own. Like the class and aspect stuff before it was explicitly detailed in the story, or the trolls' connection to the zodiac before we ever even saw any of them.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Fedorafreak is their guardian. If I keep joking about Fedorafreak making an appearance, one day I'll be right. That's what I tell myself.

starfish prime
Jun 22, 2010
Oh yeah, I don't know if anyone noticed this, but there was a tiny bit of foreshadowing in Dirk's conversation with uu:

quote:

uu: I FEEL SO uTTERLY OBSCENE EVEN *TYPING* THIS.
uu: HA HA. FuuuCK.
uu: MY CHEEKS ARE PROBABLY BRIGHT RED RIGHT NOW.

Which could refer to his blood color, of course, but also to the red spirals which are sure to be on his cheeks - which, at the time, would have been a pretty clear LE clue.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Starmaker posted:

Meenah, perhaps?

She went off to the Pink Moon on her own before session. We know nothing about it, other than I think Aranea mentioned Skaia-tech was found there.

And we know that Scratch-physics means that the A1 universe doesn't stop existing when they scratched.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

How did they even get into this situation of theirs? How did this setup come to be? If they're in the game right now, in one of those Veil Meteor places, how did they proceed through the game to this point and what prompted this imprisonment?

Best I can guess is they were scizophrenic when the game started and the game treated them as two players OR they were alone and tried to create a one-player session and the game's need for two players (one of each gender, mandatory class aspects) forcibly bifurcated their personality.

They stumbled along to this point, struggling with their condition, quarreling for control of their body, until they decided to use their lab as their home base and came up with their complicated system of rules and safeguards as the "truce" between them. Perhaps their separate dream selves (if that's still a thing) allowed one of them to try and pursue winning the game while the other had the real-self body and busied themselves reading and checking up on the B2 players.

That's my guess anyway.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dolash posted:

How did they even get into this situation of theirs? How did this setup come to be? If they're in the game right now, in one of those Veil Meteor places, how did they proceed through the game to this point and what prompted this imprisonment?

Best I can guess is they were scizophrenic when the game started and the game treated them as two players OR they were alone and tried to create a one-player session and the game's need for two players (one of each gender, mandatory class aspects) forcibly bifurcated their personality.

They stumbled along to this point, struggling with their condition, quarreling for control of their body, until they decided to use their lab as their home base and came up with their complicated system of rules and safeguards as the "truce" between them. Perhaps their separate dream selves (if that's still a thing) allowed one of them to try and pursue winning the game while the other had the real-self body and busied themselves reading and checking up on the B2 players.

That's my guess anyway.

Pretty much all of their dialogue indicates that they haven't started playing Sburb yet.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

starfish prime posted:

Oh yeah, I don't know if anyone noticed this, but there was a tiny bit of foreshadowing in Dirk's conversation with uu:

For gently caress's sake, Hussie.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

fatherdog posted:

Pretty much all of their dialogue indicates that they haven't started playing Sburb yet.

Ah. I had thought Calliope talking about Skaia darkening and the like indicated that they were playing, but on second thought you're right, that could've just been her having an awake dream self and observing Skaia from Prospit. Their little room also looked like a veil meteor but looking like a grey room is hardly proof. Likewise their ability to see the B2 players isn't proof either, it's just weird for them to have access to cross-universe communication devices. It still seems odd they should know their own classes before the game even begins, but these two are nothing but odd and have access to a lot of information sources.

I guess if they really aren't playing that makes their situation all the stranger. Do their race all have these Sarswapawhatevers? Do they all have dual personalities? Where are they, exactly, and how did they get into this position, and who keeps them supplied?

*edit* Does the ladder next to the Sarswap-thing look like the ladder out of the skaia-tech pod-thing WV was in? Could they be in one of those exile stations?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Dolash posted:

*edit* Does the ladder next to the Sarswap-thing look like the ladder out of the skaia-tech pod-thing WV was in? Could they be in one of those exile stations?

Nice pick up. I thought it might be a meteor like the Trolls were chilling on, but reports indicate they aren't in the game yet so v:shobon:v

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
And there it is, a massive red star. Could this be another one, or the Green Sun at the end of its life, a finale to eternity?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Oh hey, there's the world-ending threat that encourages play of Sburb! Any day now eh :allears:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Update. Betcha that star collapses and absorbs the Green Sun as in Calliope's drawing

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Bell_ posted:

And there it is, a massive red star. Could this be another one, or the Green Sun at the end of its life, a finale to eternity?

Black holes, man.

Hussie's gonna bust out what happens when... well, black holes happen.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm pretty sure they're not in a veil meteor but an exile station. It looks very similar to the one WV was trapped in, or that Spades Slick found under Lord English's Mansion.

E: update as I was typing it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
In retrospect, with all the red/green dichotomy, this seems incredibly obvious.

What if there's a blue sun to match the curtains? :tinfoil:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bell_ posted:

Well, it's just a massive red supergiant. That's pretty mundane. Does mean it'll go supernova soon though!

They're probably living in an exile station on a planet that has already been wiped out by meteors. Could be the present "Earth" a billion years in the future, for example.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Zorak posted:

They're probably living in an exile station on a planet that has already been wiped out by meteors. Could be the present "Earth" a billion years in the future, for example.

But B2-Earth is getting wiped out by the Red Miles as recently as 413 years in the future. No way it survives a billion years.

B1-Earth has a similar problem.

And A2-Alternia was destroyed with no sign of a Red Sun.

It might be A1-Alternia, but odds are just some new place.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dolash posted:

Their little room also looked like a veil meteor but looking like a grey room is hardly proof.

Their room being an exile station is one of the first things that occurred to me, but that wouldn't demonstrate anything; WV and the rest of the exiles weren't playing.

quote:

Likewise their ability to see the B2 players isn't proof either, it's just weird for them to have access to cross-universe communication devices.

Jake and Jade both had them before playing the game.

quote:

I guess if they really aren't playing that makes their situation all the stranger. Do their race all have these Sarswapawhatevers? Do they all have dual personalities?

quote:

UU: i believed he and i coUld play together, even Under oUr UniqUe biological circUmstances.

This implies that their situation is unique to them, rather than being a cherub thing.

quote:

Where are they, exactly, and how did they get into this position, and who keeps them supplied?

These are good questions, which may or may not ever be answered.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Bobulus posted:

But B2-Earth is getting wiped out by the Red Miles as recently as 413 years in the future. No way it survives a billion years.

I was thinking something along the lines of Zorak, and though I don't think it's the case for other reasons (Which I will point out after the explanation), I had another reason for thinking so. When UU was talking about how the Genesis frogs work she mentioned that there were all possible instances of the universe, scratched or not. She also mentioned that some were destroyed by the Red Miles before they even started. So that means that some other instances aren't destroyed by the Red Miles until long, long after.

But anyways, the reason I don't think that's the case is that it says it is a red supergiant, and the sun is only supposed to become a normal red giant later on, IIRC.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me
I have to say, this is probably one of the better-illustrated panels that Hussie has done. It really makes UU look less like awful and frightening.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

We've got a visual callback to Terezi in [S] Make Her Pay right here. Given they share a body, I wonder how uu steering changes it exactly? Despite her monstrous appearance, Calliope seems female-shaped when rendered in more detail. It's not so strong that they couldn't just be generally androgynous (and only the eyes/cheek swirlies change) though.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Quotetype posted:

I have to say, this is probably one of the better-illustrated panels that Hussie has done. It really makes UU look less like awful and frightening.

I'm pretty sure he didn't actually draw that and it's just a modification of that one Art Team piece way back from the Make Her Pay flash.

Also, I just realized something--Roxy is probably the last kid Calliope should've confided her name in. I can totally see Roxy typing in "callipoe" or something and uu realizes the jig is up and just destroys the computer before she can correct herself.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Quotetype posted:

All I know is that it would make a bitchin' wallpaper.

I'm probably a little hesitant to give up my current one though.

e: i now have a file named "boner.png" on my computer.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Speaking as an astrophysicist, how on anywhere is that planet even remotely habitable. Anywhere far enough from the star not to get burnt to a crisp when it went red giant would have been too far out to support life in the first place. And red giants don't last long enough for life to evolve while they're in that phase.

Yes, I know, I know, artistic licence, why can you suspend disbelief in a ton of places but not here, etc. But some things just stick. For what it's worth, Alternia's red sun is a bit dodgy too: assuming it's a main sequence star (and if it isn't we have the same problem as the cherubs' planet), its light should be less harsh than the Sun's because red main sequence stars are cooler and smaller than yellow main sequence stars like the Sun (they're the red dwarfs that, well, Red Dwarf is named after).

Granted Alternia could be much closer to its star than Earth is to the Sun, but then you have the issue of tidal locking (the phenomenon where bodies' rotation cycles (their "day") start synching up with the cycles of the body they orbit (their "year")). Our Moon is completely tidally locked with Earth, which is why we always see the same face of it: its rotation rate and period for orbiting the Earth are identical, about 29 days. Mercury is partially tidally locked with the Sun, the length of its days being in a 2:3 ratio with the length of its years (59:86, if I recall correctly). Tidally locked planets will have areas exposed to their star for a very long time, and areas with no light for a very long time, pretty horrible conditions for getting life to evolve.

... yeah, I just wrote a ton of stuff that'll probably get me called a sperg. But you know how it is with pet peeves.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't see how a giant red sun is implausible when there is already a Green Sun "twice the mass of the universe," which if I am reading Wikipedia right would be 2*[1.43×10^53] kg. That's a lot of sun! Also, this sun grants people magic powers.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Throwing down the Giygas imagery.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Paul.Power posted:

Speaking as an astrophysicist, how on anywhere is that planet even remotely habitable. Anywhere far enough from the star not to get burnt to a crisp when it went red giant would have been too far out to support life in the first place. And red giants don't last long enough for life to evolve while they're in that phase.

Calliope mentioned that cherubs don't have a home planet. If this isn't their home planet that means they came here at some point, which means they could have come here post-red-giant phase and not evolved here.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Paul.Power posted:

Yes, I know, I know, artistic licence, why can you suspend disbelief in a ton of places but not here, etc. But some things just stick. For what it's worth, Alternia's red sun is a bit dodgy too: assuming it's a main sequence star (and if it isn't we have the same problem as the cherubs' planet), its light should be less harsh than the Sun's because red main sequence stars are cooler and smaller than yellow main sequence stars like the Sun (they're the red dwarfs that, well, Red Dwarf is named after).

Granted Alternia could be much closer to its star than Earth is to the Sun, but then you have the issue of tidal locking (the phenomenon where bodies' rotation cycles (their "day") start synching up with the cycles of the body they orbit (their "year")). Our Moon is completely tidally locked with Earth, which is why we always see the same face of it: its rotation rate and period for orbiting the Earth are identical, about 29 days. Mercury is partially tidally locked with the Sun, the length of its days being in a 2:3 ratio with the length of its years (59:86, if I recall correctly). Tidally locked planets will have areas exposed to their star for a very long time, and areas with no light for a very long time, pretty horrible conditions for getting life to evolve.

... yeah, I just wrote a ton of stuff that'll probably get me called a sperg. But you know how it is with pet peeves.

Speaking as another astrophysicist, while the specific luminosity may be less, it is apparently a lot bigger and closer, so it is still an object that is hard to miss. A space alien's monologue shouldn't be taking as an objective scientific statement, either. The blinding Alternian sun could be just as easily taken to "crazy alien eyes" or a different proximity. Staring at the sun either way would be pretty blinding!!

Also this is not their native planet, their species is some kind of supernatural pixie-eating space alien thing, and the general fact that they're just space aliens. That's the wonderful thing about space aliens in fiction, you can attribute all sorts of "well, biology can be weird as gently caress." These are members of a space-faring race of horrible skullpeople who apparently thrive on hatefucking, pixie-dust, murder, and whatever. A race of which apparently includes an immortal green skullmonster who recently was summoned into existence via a cueballman in the center of a supernovae with the mass of two (2) galaxies.

So you're really trying to apply your physics towards stuff that's entirely non-relevant. You're assuming that Cherubs are humans and their conditions, as well as their reasons for being on whatever planet they're on, mirror our own. poo poo they could be horrible molemen that lived entirely off geothermally-produced pixie dust until the sun slid its way over.

Now, the black hole in Problem Sleuth is another thing altogether.....

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 21, 2012

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Here are the answers to your questions about hot or dangerous materials being close to creatures and structures.

random Formspring asker posted:

Why don't the players get cancer from the radioactive imps? I'm asking for someone too wussy to ask himself for fear of you snarkily dodging the question. Please prove him right.

Andrew Hussie posted:

Radiation is harmless. Kind of like lava. Why doesn't Dave melt when he's hopping around on gears?

The answer is because these dangerous things are actually harmless in cartoon stories. They are also green and red respectively, just in time for the holidays.

I THINK OF EVERYTHING

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

fatherdog posted:

This implies that their situation is unique to them, rather than being a cherub thing.

Eh, "our" could also refer to their race as a whole. It could also indicate that normally a cherub's twinself is not a dickbag. Maybe uu is unique because he has such a divergent personality.

also: ^^^^^^^ "green and red"? :tinfoil:

http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003252

what are the chances that this is the station they're in? I'm estimating 100%.

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This didn't really come out the way I wanted but, eh, maybe someone wants it?