Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Just knocked out my Fionna hat in about an hour.

Been too broke and lazy to do these costumes ahead of time. Looks like it'll just be Fionna and Mistress 9 this con season, but I will be working on more stuff after the con. Namely the main female hero from Pokemon Conquest, Natsuki from Summer Wars and some other goodies. I'm kind of itching to try some screen printing now. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Sydney Supanova turned out to be a blast! Right now, I'm just busy cleaning and repairing my costume for Perth's Supanova this weekend. Here's a couple of shots of the costumes that I wore on both days!

The insane humidity and cold weather wreaked havoc on my poor boots. Within seconds of putting them on, the paint literally ripped itself from the rubber. I'd sanded, primed, double-sanded, and primed again for the worst case scenario, but looks like the weather beat me hands-down. They're getting a new coat of paint for this weekend, where it should hopefully be much warmer!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Those are both loving excellent :colbert:

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Thank you, and again, thank you for this excellent example of Sky High.

Just ordered a wig from Arda Wigs! I purchased their Jeannie model, because instead of a Demon Hunter from D3 I'll be going as the Enchantress follower. I'm very excited to make this costume, especially since I don't have to buy new boots for it!

Would this be a place to post tutorials/sites that I've found helpful?

Here's one of my 2011 costumes. I'm Photo Finish flanked by two versions of Rarity:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Patterning greaves using poster board is a pain :(

I think I may just drape the foam over the dummy and shape it into place, then cut it from there.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Planning to have a few days off here shortly and I have 2 of those days set aside for costumes. I will have to do my best to remember to take photos lol.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
The most DECADENT of costumes is progressing nicely. HEDONISM BOT!

Robots don't need safety glasses

Limp robowrist

That head sure looks creepy without any pupils on the eyeballs

Gotta finish gluing the helmet together, rig the sparkly shirt to the body cavity, and do a better job coating the arms once I get another can of spraypaint. My buddy's already worked out a circuit to make the eyes/mouth glow as I talk, its gonna be so sweet.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I'm going to cross post this from the DIY fashion thread where I was asking about mounting antlers for a faun costume I was making for a party:

---

I ended up making the antlers out of branches which I got from some Kitsch-y dead branch wreath I bought at Jo-Anne.

Also made three pieces of jewelery: a bone and leather necklace, a bronze pendant with wood bead headband, and hemp/wood bracelet.

I'm extraordinarily happy with my idea of stripped faux-fur glued to elastic for the leggings. It definitely carries the concept without being creepy-as-gently caress-goat-legs.

The photos don't show how great the antlers look in person. My girl especially liked the blue stripe eye make-up, but I'll be damned if soap and a toothbrush in the shower to get it off the following morning didn't hurt like all hell.

Will be replacing my Officer Dangle outfit as my default costume.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

One trick you can use for the face paint is to apply some regular makeup foundation underneath it. You can also use mineral oil (depending on what kind of makeup it is) to help remove it without being as harsh on your skin as soap and scrubbing.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I was actually surprised how well makeup removing cloths took off sealed grease paint and foundation, too.

Werle- Keep it up, man, this is turning out awesome.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm so excited, you guys, I finally found a friend who owns a lathe who's going to help me make my spear top and bottom! :woop: I was all ready to make my own stuff out of PVC and vinyl tubing so I'm really excited to have a method that's going to be both more solid and more accurate.

Also, the Yoshimitsu printing is totally done!

I'm really proud of it, I think it looks really sharp!
I started my helmet this weekend as well and I am really happy with how it's coming along, I think it's going to be really gorgeous once I'm finished. I also discovered that I have a deep and abiding love for Apoxiesculpt.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
How much do good quality lathes usually go for? I've been looking into picking one up, but I'm not sure of what brand or make to purchase.

And Apoxie Sculpt is God's gift to molding. So good.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I am nowhere near finished on this banner, but here is what is going on so far. Still needs shading and highlights, then I have to paint the other side :( And there's another one to do after this! God why did I do this to myself :psyduck:

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
McPantserton You are simply amazing! I am in love with that skirt, and think my next detailed piece may need to be screen printed. I have hand painted and sewn patches but I just love the idea of that. I had done it before in art class but never thought about it again after that. You have swayed me.

THIZZFACE KILLA I know you are hating having to paint it but it's looking spectacular, the extra effort will be noticed and love, and probably make you love the outfit more in the long haul.

I don't have any really cool progress just some sewing on Frankie Stein so I won't post it, maybe when I start on my Tera outfit or flame princess, then I will have fun stuff to post besides sewing.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

MajorGravy posted:

How much do good quality lathes usually go for? I've been looking into picking one up, but I'm not sure of what brand or make to purchase.

And Apoxie Sculpt is God's gift to molding. So good.

I'm honestly not sure. My friend's dad used to work in metal fabrication and that's why they own them, they seem expensive but I really haven't even looked into it much.

Thizz, that OWNS! Seems like a lot of work but it is looking so, so good! I totally feel your pain with the double-sided nonsense, I wanted to die when we finished my first half of the Hilde banner and it was like, alright, SIDE 2 :gonk:

Thanks, Veila! I think printing can really add some nice, clean detail. When I finally get a real people job away from my shop, it's going to be a sad day. :( Well, except for the theoretical pay increase...

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012
Welp! An hour of trying to figure out my sewing machine's thread tension issues, two more hours of sewing after that annnnd...

the skirt I was working on sucks. It's really the wrong style for the Enchantress and it sits too high on my waist. My sacrifice to the gods of cosplay has been complete! This attempt will get trashed, and a new attempt will begin today! Hooray for living 1 block from a Hancock's Fabric store.

If anybody else suffers a mistake/setback in their cosplay, I offer tea and sympathy.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

McPantserton posted:

Thanks, Veila! I think printing can really add some nice, clean detail. When I finally get a real people job away from my shop, it's going to be a sad day. :( Well, except for the theoretical pay increase...

You mean the pay increase that will just get spent on more fancy costumes?? Yea I know how that goes. But hey that means that I can start working on Kanzeon as soon as those new fancy paychecks hit the bank.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

A costume of a robot? How deliciously absurd!

Lights out.

Lights on.

The feet will get attached to the bottom of the chair when we're on site at D*Con, but I didn't feel like attaching them and risking damage while boxing thing up and shipping it.

The Werle fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 6, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

The Werle posted:

Lights out.

Lights on.

The feet will get attached to the bottom of the chair when we're on site at D*Con, but I didn't feel like attaching them and risking damage while boxing thing up and shipping it.

:swoon: Hooooooly poo poo, that is just the best thing!!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Haha holy crap that is great.

Edit: Also thanks for the words of encouragement you guys :shobon: All this effort will somehow be worth it in the end!

McPantserton, I am always so excited to see you post with Soul Calibur costume updates. Yoshi's skirt thing looks fantastic. I am SO pumped to see your finished costumes!!

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 7, 2012

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Has anyone here built armor, or used pepokura files to build armor using fiberglass?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Never with pepakura, but I've built some armor in my day. :corsair: ...I kid, I kid, I'm working on a set of full plate right now out of vacuum-formed styrene and it's def not my first rodeo! What are you looking to do?

On that note, we finally figured out how to get a (mostly) good pull from the former! :woop: Very reassuring, I'll admit with ~5 weeks until GenCon, it's pretty nice to know that my technique will actually work in practice!

We also almost lit the former on fire on Friday night. :shobon: Turns out drinkin' and heat guns don't go together well. Who'da thought?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

McPantserton posted:

Never with pepakura, but I've built some armor in my day. :corsair: ...I kid, I kid, I'm working on a set of full plate right now out of vacuum-formed styrene and it's def not my first rodeo! What are you looking to do?

For my birthday, my roommate got me a working Airsoft version of the M4A1 Pulse Rifle, the gun used in Aliens. Some Colonial Marines cosplay (or even a working version of their kit for airsoft games) would be awesome. The only tricky part is the armor. Not super complicated, but I've never built armor before. Most of the RPF and similar forums are using Pepakura files and fiberglass. The pepakura doesn't look too hard, but I've never, ever used fiberglass.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Pagan posted:

For my birthday, my roommate got me a working Airsoft version of the M4A1 Pulse Rifle, the gun used in Aliens. Some Colonial Marines cosplay (or even a working version of their kit for airsoft games) would be awesome. The only tricky part is the armor. Not super complicated, but I've never built armor before. Most of the RPF and similar forums are using Pepakura files and fiberglass. The pepakura doesn't look too hard, but I've never, ever used fiberglass.

Looking at a lazy GIS, I'd probably start with EVA foam (yoga mats) and do it similar to the Mass Effect builds that are all the rage like this: http://volpinprops.blogspot.com/2010/09/n7-armor-dragoncon-2010-recap.html

You'll probably be able to build it at a lower skill level, more safely, and for cheaper this way--you may want to (will probably want to) invest in a decent dremel, but that's maybe $30, way less than fiberglass stuff.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Welp, this finally happened:

Only three more to go! :shepicide:

Edit: is imgur down again or something? Picture no longer exists :(

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 11, 2012

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Welp, i've been painting my trooper armour. I also let my friend camo the gun but i've since taken that off. I decided that I was tired of trying to see what trooper I was in event photo's so I decided to steal fixers paint job from republic commando. I need to get some pouches or something though, i'm tired of having to find a pack mule to follow me around with my phone/wallet/keys etc all day. Last time I went out I lost track of them for like four hours and I was hungry the whole time.

I do have gloves and if you really want you can follow the link to my photobucket to see more complete pictures but the lighting on them is absolutely crap.

No, I don't think i'm anywhere near finished with this. I'm adding lights to the inside of the helmet, plus a fan and other goodies.

Oh, I didn't go for an official colour scheme because i'm actually quite interested to see if anyone will care.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Pagan posted:

Has anyone here built armor, or used pepokura files to build armor using fiberglass?

I've made chainmail armor, but people don't usually refer to chainmail when they say armor, so I'm probably of no help.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Pagan posted:

I just made armor using fiberglass. I have used pepakura for something else that didn't end with fiberglass on it. What do you need to know?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I just made armor using fiberglass. I have used pepakura for something else that didn't end with fiberglass on it. What do you need to know?

Any good tutorials, tips, or educational resources?

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I used this as a fiberglass tutorial:

http://www.paper-wings.org/tutorials/armor/fiberglass.html

And watching a lot of videos on youtube of people making poo poo with fiberglass.

It's really easy, just kind of hazardous and disgusting. Use more hardener than you think you need, I hosed up my first project by not using enough hardener and the resin never dried. I now use a couple tablespoon's worth of resin and 13 or so drops of hardener in one batch. You'll get the hang of it after a while.

Sanding fiberglass is horrible and takes forever, and personally, I despise Bondo with all my might, but it's just impossible to get fiberglass smooth when it's so lumpy and sticky to apply. Bondo will make your poo poo a lot heavier but it sands well, and that's what it's for. I did a layer of bondo and then filled in the tiny dents and poo poo with spackle, because I can touch it with my fingers and the working time is so much longer.

Anything you're particularly worried about?

Warheart525
Jun 22, 2008

Ab-so-lutely!
It looks like I'm going to Dragon*Con again this year, and I'm trying to figure out some cosplay ideas. I'm a little over 6' tall, about 160 lbs, and as of this writing I have close-cut auburn hair, and I'm clean shaven. Growing thick facial hair by then would be...tricky. I also typically wear glasses, but I could go without if I needed to.

Here's a photo for reference:

I don't anticipate being able to do anything super fancy; I'm mostly just looking for ideas that would fit my body type/face. A friend suggested Dr. Venture, and that's probably the best idea I've heard thus far. Any suggestions?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Dr. Venture.

(No, I'm not biased at all. Why do you ask?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

The Werle posted:

Lights out.

Lights on.

Do you have any in-progress pictures? really interested in how it all came together. (disregard if you posted them and imgur going down confused me).

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
the first side of the second banner is mostly finished:

We are officially in the "gently caress it" stage of construction, so the lotus flower is orangey-pink instead of pinky-red. Not enough time to go hunt down the right color, and besides, I like the shiny paint I used instead :shobon:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

the first side of the second banner is mostly finished:

We are officially in the "gently caress it" stage of construction, so the lotus flower is orangey-pink instead of pinky-red. Not enough time to go hunt down the right color, and besides, I like the shiny paint I used instead :shobon:

I barely had the patience to do that geometric line pattern on mine in vector format, much less by hand. Color me impressed.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I was worried about shaping my cuirass, but it turns out I'm so flat chested that I don't need to sculpt any bewbs in my armor :toot:

Has anyone used Rub N Buff on fabric? I have a bunch of leftover gold RNB and the pennant I'm making needs to have a gold border. It's cotton duck canvas, and I'll be coating it with a couple layers of acrylic paint before I try to apply the gold color.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Holy smokes, pepakura is kind of a nightmare. I printed out the shin armor for a colonial marine and figured "I'll get it cut out and formed!"

Talk about tedious. So many tiny pieces; even a simple shin piece has over 500 edges. I'm worried that it might not even fit right.

I think I might try a different method. spending 20 hours just cutting out tiny pieces of paper to make a single piece of armor seems... ridiculous. Or is that just par for the course?

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
Ok, so I now have a duct-tape mannequin. Now I need to decide if/how I want to make a Spiderman costume. Some parts are easy. The boots and mask have me worried. Specifically, the lenses. I'd like to make comic-syle lenses, but I reaaaaally don't like the idea of trying to cobble together something to get the curvature and shape right.

So it looks like I have some decisions to be making, asap.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

Ok, so I now have a duct-tape mannequin. Now I need to decide if/how I want to make a Spiderman costume. Some parts are easy. The boots and mask have me worried. Specifically, the lenses. I'd like to make comic-syle lenses, but I reaaaaally don't like the idea of trying to cobble together something to get the curvature and shape right.

So it looks like I have some decisions to be making, asap.

Why not find some cheap Oakley knockoffs for large, spidey lenses? They might also take to a gentle working with a heat gun if the curve is off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
A good suggestion for movie style lenses, but I'm aiming for the larger (but not the insanely huge) comic-style eyes.

Something in this range:

But the more I think about it, the more likely I'm gonna be going mask-less. That mask is hard to make look good, and I'd rather put the effort into the suit.