Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

doesn't have galaxy quest tho

Tim Allen's best performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
finished doomsday book. i still maintain that the first 60% of it could have been way shorter and tighter, but those last two hundred pages :stonk:

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

I made some stickers with Philip K. Dick's face on them and a huge banner that says "I LOVE DICK" but amazingly could not find a market for them

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

dick's opinion on future fashion (i'm thinking ubik here) are hilarious.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
ubik was really depressing

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
is there a 'happy' story in all of PKD's volume of work?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
well no but what's revealed to be really going on in ubik is bleak and hopeless even by his standards

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHfq0QWFoE

toby
Dec 4, 2002

fork bomb posted:

Philip K. Dick is so great

a true post.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Amethyst posted:

did roddenberry bang uhura?

drat. I'm jealous

what do you think he is, a racist?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

what do you think he is, a racist?

i would seriously put money on roddenberry grudge-loving nichelle nichols just cause

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
the first two episodes of season 2 of falling skies were not worse than the first season

i am not saying it was good but it was tolerable and it's new scifi

they did some hilarious one-line glazing of key story points though. like, i guess some of the actors didn't come back so they just had one character say "yeah we got ambushed and lost a bunch of people, including these several main characters from season one" and also one that was basically "it's too bad that the huge tactical advantage we discovered at the end of season one no longer works on the aliens!"

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
trying to correlate an alien occupation of earth to the revolutionary war is really tenuous

i hope they focus less on that, but the main character is a loving american history teacher or whatever so i doubt they will

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
you really don't have anything better to do with your time?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

XausF1 posted:

you really don't have anything better to do with your time?

you can watch television while also doing other things

you don't have to be sitting on a couch shoveling nachos into your maw

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Inverse Icarus posted:

you don't have to be sitting on a couch shoveling nachos into your maw
but it helps :munch:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
especially if you're watching falling skies

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I tivoed them but will never actually watch them especially since I'll forget to record the next episode and I missed the end of last season I guess there's a new kind of alien?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

qirex posted:

I tivoed them but will never actually watch them especially since I'll forget to record the next episode and I missed the end of last season I guess there's a new kind of alien?

yeah there are the skitters and some really tall purple thing

they're doing a good job of not explaining things without it seeming totally ludicrous

but then the alien was all "TRAIL OF TEARS MOTHERFUCKER! YOUR RACE IS ASSHOLES!" and my eyes rolled back so hard they're stuck

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

fork bomb posted:

Philip K. Dick is so great

agreed, idiot hell fucker

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

what i mean by the not explaining stuff is that they put stuff out there, and you're thinking "oh hey that probably works like this" but they never actually tell you. like, i'm pretty sure the implants they put into kids eventually turn them into skitters entirely, and that the skitters are some genetically engineered race the purple people use as laborers. also, one of the children in the show (i hate child actors so much) pointed out that the skitters have 6 legs or whatever, but the mechs only have 2. it was a neat thing to think about before they showed GIANT PURPLE ALIEN. they painted it like skitters were the only aliens the humans had seen during the entire time of the occupation, up until like 2 episodes before s1 ended, and that was kind of neat.

it's really, really hard to have a race of aliens with a completely "alien" agenda and to do it well. i think the easiest way to accomplish that is to have the aliens do things and never explain why.

they did that in signs and i didn't really like that movie, but i did like how the aliens came, took people, and then left, without any reason why being made known to the viewer.

PipeRifle
Oct 4, 2004

we have catte

found it, not sure where the stickers themselves went

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Inverse Icarus posted:

it's really, really hard to have a race of aliens with a completely "alien" agenda and to do it well. i think the easiest way to accomplish that is to have the aliens do things and never explain why.

the problem is that if there's any popularity, any ambiguity gets eventually filled in by sequels and prequels and spin-offs. people aren't content with things being left as simple being that way because it is, goddammit it.

this is surprisingly similar to the argument for bombadil's existence in lotr.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

did they every find his missing robot head (dick's)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

dooTrieux posted:

the problem is that if there's any popularity, any ambiguity gets eventually filled in by sequels and prequels and spin-offs. people aren't content with things being left as simple being that way because it is, goddammit it.

i hate fans of a single thing

i mean, i like futurama but it ended and you know i was at peace with it ending and if the creators want to make something new that's good

no i don't want a futurama video game, especially one made by amateurs

no i don't want [NEW THING IN FUTURAMA UNIVERSE], why not make a new setting you uncreative fucks

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Slumber, watcher, 'til the spheres,
six and twenty thousand years
have revolved, and I return
to the spot where now I burn.
Other stars anon shall rise
to the axis of the skies;
stars that soothe and stars that bless
with a sweet forgetfulness:
Only when my round is o'er
shall the past disturb thy door.

>25 years and I still remember it line for line

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

BonzoESC posted:

i hate fans of a single thing

i mean, i like futurama but it ended and you know i was at peace with it ending and if the creators want to make something new that's good

no i don't want a futurama video game, especially one made by amateurs

no i don't want [NEW THING IN FUTURAMA UNIVERSE], why not make a new setting you uncreative fucks

People like this need to be forced to watch Simpsons season 12 nonstop onwards to 26 or whatever they are up to.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

PipeRifle posted:

I made some stickers with Philip K. Dick's face on them and a huge banner that says "I LOVE DICK" but amazingly could not find a market for them

i'll take some of those stickers

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

drat, just saw your follow up post

that banner is sweet

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

gooby on rails posted:

watching falling skies

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Internaut! posted:

Same, but not quite as long ago and also it's the lyrics to Allstar by smashmouth

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Ronald Raiden posted:

it's the lyrics to Allstar by smashmouth

:stare:

I remember it because we had to pick some poetry to memorize and recite for school, and one of the other dorks already chose The Raven, it just stuck in my head forever

lots of fond memories of reading those stories one summer at camp with a flashlight in my sleeping bag, I'd go back an reread them but they'd probably wither under my middle aged cynicism

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 21, 2012

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Internaut! posted:

haha drat, turns out u r a 90's kid after all :thumbsup:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

ahhh spiders posted:

haha drat, turns out u r a 90's kid after all :thumbsup:

eh that's from an hp lovecraft story from the 20s iirc

was it also featured in a pokemon episode or something

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Internaut! posted:

eh that's from an hp lovecraft story from the 20s iirc

was it also featured in a pokemon episode or something

drat. got any more tales from the crypt gramps? cya

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

ahhh spiders posted:

drat. got any more tales from the crypt gramps? cya

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
hey i just started reading Spin, am i gonna regret it?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thanks, i just got fired from starfleet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

running win 95 at 1024 x 768, aren't we fancy

• Locked thread