Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Underground in Seattle.

Next challenge, push your boundaries...

:siren: your bike with a wicked Harley :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Bucephalus posted:

^ The Cincy Subway has been permanently sealed, hasn't it?

As far as I know, yes. But there are other railroad tunnels around the city and in Covington, some still in use and some abandoned. I thought I might be able to get into an abandoned one, but when I went out today there was no chance. I found this youtube video after the fact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4B-vbB3JOk The others are still in use and I'm not that ballsy, tho on the first page of the thread I parked in front of a cool couple tunnels south of Covington.

Edit: forgot to include the link I used http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/ Scroll down to railroad and transit tunnels and you can see the subway and active/defunct tunnels.

Here's the tunnel I visited earlier in the thread. My picture is from the south, at the link is pictures from the north side. http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/grantsbend.htm

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 21, 2012

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

clutchpuck posted:

:siren: your bike with a wicked Harley :siren:

What if my bike IS a wicked Harley? Do I win?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Strife posted:

You have to park next to one of the CA default bikes, a Ninja 250, an SV650 or a DRZ400sm

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Strife posted:

Find a wickeder one.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Hah, challenge accepted. If no one completes it before me, I'll either park up next to a CA default bike, or find the wickedest Harley around.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

:smith:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I went hog huntin' this afternoon. During the week you can usually catch a couple where they gather during the workday, but on the weekends you sometimes have to head out of town to spot one. I cruised down to Lorton, VA (my hands are still a little numb from the buzzing) and cruised some country roads. After an hour of fruitless searching, I thought I'd take a rest by a lake -- and that's when I heard it. The unmistakable burble and crackle filtered through the woods behind me. I even caught a telltale glint of chrome. I hopped on the bike, but a one way street prevented a direct approach. A quick lap around the access roads and there it was, sunning itself in the dappled light.

I left the DRZ running in case it got aggressive.

Maybe I shouldn't have given it away, and let you decide whether it was my DRZ next to a wicked HD or my wicked HD next to CA's most stereotypical bike.

For the next challenge: Last weekend I was down by the Lincoln Memorial and all the tourists thought they were very clever posing at that end of the reflecting pool so it looked like they were leaning against the Washington Monument, like so:

Stupid tourists.

On the other hand, it seems like people could come up with some clever poses in that vein, holding their bike in their palm or grasping it like a Doritos Locos taco. So: use perspective to grab hold of your bike.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Just going to stick this here because it's appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BJ7mZfI3Xc

Really looking forward to this one and I hope a bunch of people chime in because forced perspective rules.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

ought ten posted:

For the next challenge: Last weekend I was down by the Lincoln Memorial and all the tourists thought they were very clever posing at that end of the reflecting pool so it looked like they were leaning against the Washington Monument, like so:

Stupid tourists.

I was there last weekend too. What a god drat zoo.
Edit: Not to nitpick too badly, that's the tidal basin and to top it off looks like a shop.

Understand the challenge though. I hope someone does it although I certainly won't.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 27, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Is anyone going to do this? Just wondering cause usually theres 5 people yakking about what they're going to do. That and I just want it to move on because i stopped for a car/bike show pic with a ton of harleys and when i checked the thread it had changed to the current challenge.

I have no friends so no one can take my picture doing something stupid.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 27, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten? thoughts?

I dont think anyone is going to get this, really.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
Yeah I got nothing on this one. More than happy to do something else. Wanna declare a new one, Tip?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Challenge cancelled!

:siren:Next up: Your bike at a playground :pedo: Bonus if you're riding some of the equipment:siren:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Couldn't get someone to photograph me going ATGATT down the slide. :(

:siren:Next up: Photograph your bike at EITHER a skate park OR in front of a sign that prohibits skateboarding.:siren:

Hint: no skateboarding signs can often be found at high schools and libraries.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Strife posted:

Couldn't get someone to photograph me going ATGATT down the slide. :(

:siren:Next up: Photograph your bike at EITHER a skate park OR in front of a sign that prohibits skateboarding.:siren:

Hint: no skateboarding signs can often be found at high schools and libraries.

Bam.

Your next challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to :siren:strap a pizza to your bike and take it for a ride:siren:.

Edit: Dammit, I picked up a pizza on the way home and took a picture, but my jerk phone didn't save it.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 28, 2012

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Pizza and breadsticks. lovely photos, but what can you do?

I just found this thread and was pretty pumped to find the first available challenge something I could pull off. Does this work?

Edit: Sweet. How about :siren: your bike with some sort of water feature? :siren: Like a man made water fall or one of those sweet city fountains?

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 28, 2012

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Course it does, you have next choice of challenge now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You get my dinky scooter in front of a fountain. The statue depicts the norse god Tor fighting with Jörmungandr (the Midgard serpent). :black101:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's a hell of a fountain. What's the next challenge?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Since it's summer, :siren: Your bike at a beach, lake, hotspring or other natural bathing spot. :siren: A pool doesn't count.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Here is the beautiful Rio Grande. Irrigation season, so there's water. The river is matbe 3 feet deep here. The lady in the white van is doing her laundry.

:siren:your bike next to the same model, half its age:siren:

If you have an '02 bandit, that'd be next to an '07. If your bike was discontinued, its successor. If that's not possible, go for twice its age.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

babyeatingpsychopath fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 1, 2012

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

ought ten? thoughts?

I dont think anyone is going to get this, really.

Sorry! I've been out of town since Wednesday and couldn't check the thread. Glad you took the reins back and good to see this thread alive again.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

:siren:your bike next to the same model, half its age:siren:

Ugh, there's this previous-generation Monster perma-parked outside a veterinary office that I ride by daily, but it's covered. Wish I had an x-ray camera.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Ugh, there's this previous-generation Monster perma-parked outside a veterinary office that I ride by daily, but it's covered. Wish I had an x-ray camera.

A bike half the age of yours would be a later model. I've never seen another MTS on the road.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Hm. I'm not sure that Honda made any air-cooled scrambler or dual-sport twins in 1992. I guess a CB400 would be the closest to a CL350? But that doesn't look anything like a '71 CL350.

If I were in the UK I could look for one of these, which is a few years too new but is definitely an updated CL350 in spirit.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 4, 2012

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Either that or find an 80 year old bike

Edit: I like that bike. What is it?

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

My 2000 TT600 next to a Daytona 675, the bike Triumph replaced my TT with after their factory burned down and they revamped their line. Can't be certain the year, but I can tell you which one I'd rather have. :) Especially as I think my bike just started pissing coolant on my floor. :(

Anyway.... If this counts...

:siren: Your bike next to a 'Welcome to ...' sign :siren:

The bigger the border the better. If its a Welcome to (insert Country) you win. If its a state or province border, good enough too. If its welcome to some major city, eh. If the sign looks good sure. If its welcome to my small little burrough of 500, please try harder :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

CloFan posted:

Either that or find an 80 year old bike

Edit: I like that bike. What is it?

It's a 1998-2008 CL400. Based on the XR400 or something -- it's actually a single with exhaust pipes from each valve, I guess. It appears to be Japan-only with very rare European imports. I really like the look of it, the pipe design especially, but I doubt I'll ever find one.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Mao posted:

My 2000 TT600 next to a Daytona 675, the bike Triumph replaced my TT with after their factory burned down and they revamped their line. Can't be certain the year...

Anyway.... If this counts...

I'm not so sure about this one. If it's a first model year, maybe. Could you look at the manufacture info on the headstock? I did want a kinda tricky challenge, but now that it's prime riding season, there should be bikes all over, and it should give a good reason to go out and find some.

Mao
Apr 18, 2007

I'm not so sure about this one. If it's a first model year, maybe. Could you look at the manufacture info on the headstock? I did want a kinda tricky challenge, but now that it's prime riding season, there should be bikes all over, and it should give a good reason to go out and find some.

Can't say. Its not someone I know, just in a parking lot at the apartment complex here, so I really couldn't say.

Completely up to you if you want it to count or not, since I'm not going to go pawing over the guy's bike. Might get me shot around here :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think Mao did fine. I thought the point of the riding game was to give people a reason to go somewhere they'd never gone before. So you request landmarks, geographical features, industries, that sort of thing. Things you can locate and then ride out to. The "Welcome To..." challenge is great because it encourages you to ride out to the largest border you can get to. "Find [very specific motorcycle]" is a really hard challenge to accomplish because you have no idea where to go to find one, so you just have to sort of chance upon one parked on the street, and that's only if you have a bike that's reasonably common in the first place.

I like the idea of finding "your bike's younger brother" or whatever, and it's your prerogative to pick the challenge you want, but just saying it's not really the most entertaining one in practice.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Well if were going to be picky that harley earlier was /not/ wicked.

(don't be picky ffs... look at the headstock? seriously?)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 4, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

Well if were going to be picky that harley earlier was /not/ wicked.

(don't be picky ffs... look at the headstock? seriously?)

Fine I won't be picky. But I can see the sticker on the headstock in his picture of the bike. Walk up to it, look at it, know.

I'll go ride down to the international border again and get a huge "WELCOME TO THE USA" shot and post it again, more pedantically :)

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Fine I won't be picky. But I can see the sticker on the headstock in his picture of the bike. Walk up to it, look at it, know.

I'll go ride down to the international border again and get a huge "WELCOME TO THE USA" shot and post it again, more pedantically :)

If I get to ride with my father in law this weekend, I'll post a pic that should tickle your fancy. My '73 cb350f (out of production after '74) next to his '75 cb400f super sport (first model year of next gen).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, but he wants half the age! a '73 is 39 years old so you have to find something that is 19.5 years old -- a 1992-3 model.

(post the pic anyway)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Make sure you get a shot of the headstock

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

If your bike was discontinued, its successor. If that's not possible, go for twice its age.

I'm not sure what he intended to mean by first model year now that I'm reading over his posts.

Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

Hey can we just skip this if there isn't another entry within a couple days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

Hey can we just skip this if there isn't another entry within a couple days?

The "welcome to" challenge? I think it's pretty reasonable, someone should get it

• Locked thread