Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bible
May 8, 2010

Rahonavis posted:

Wasn't there a thread spun off from this one where a guy tried to explain what being an Otherkin was like? And then it turned out his totally awesome and exciting past life as a dragon was... really short and uninteresting, because the "dragon" was basically the size of a house cat and its planet's equivalent of a small predatory bird?

Yes, his goal was to show us that not every otherkin is insane, just all those other otherkin.

Then he proceeded to type insane poo poo, because no one sane actually believes they were once a space dragon from another world in a past life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The Bible posted:

Yes, his goal was to show us that not every otherkin is insane, just all those other otherkin.

Then he proceeded to type insane poo poo, because no one sane actually believes they were once a space dragon from another world in a past life.

The poor guy was just self aware enough to realise that the whole idea of otherkin is pretty loving crazy, but not self aware enough to not actually be an otherkin.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Colon V posted:

I know that something like that was how we got :smaug:. And fairly recently, someone tried to make a thread about being one of the "reasonable" people who believe in fictives, or some other such thing.

Ah, Dunning-Kruger effect, will you ever get old?

If its the thread I'm thinking of, he was soul-bonded to an ancient Egyptian demon named Lucifer Gucifer. It was extremely powerful! Enough to make him say "human being."

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX

Defiance Industries posted:

If its the thread I'm thinking of, he was soul-bonded to an ancient Egyptian demon named Lucifer Gucifer. It was extremely powerful! Enough to make him say "human being."
Nah, that was different. The otherkin dragon was a separate guy from the soulbonded Lucifer (who I think ended up having cribbed all of his stories from some oldass blog or something along those lines?)

Farbauti
Dec 8, 2011

Mad Hamish posted:

I myself will be more tolerant of otherkin when I see ones that aren't something glamorous. Where are the stink-bug otherkin? The sea slug otherkin? Why are there no otherkin vultures?

In the PYF Social Justice thread there are posts about people who claim to be part-inanimate object. Usually it's in the context of bitching about people thinking they're stupid or persecuting them or whatever.

There are also others that are in love with inanimate objects, like some dude that married a bridge. It goes on to say HEY THEY MIGHT HAVE FEELINGS and that they just can't communicate in a way we understand you guys! So all those Japanese dudes marrying pillows or whatever aren't so alone after all.. What a horrifying thought.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

As you read the above post the thought probably appears in your head, and you laugh at it and discard it as nonsense, but your suspicions are totally correct, the elder God-Being who inhabited the posters soul liked to call himself Loosey Goosey.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Farbauti posted:

In the PYF Social Justice thread there are posts about people who claim to be part-inanimate object. Usually it's in the context of bitching about people thinking they're stupid or persecuting them or whatever.

There are also others that are in love with inanimate objects, like some dude that married a bridge. It goes on to say HEY THEY MIGHT HAVE FEELINGS and that they just can't communicate in a way we understand you guys! So all those Japanese dudes marrying pillows or whatever aren't so alone after all.. What a horrifying thought.

My favorite is the lady who insists she's married to the Berlin Wall. 1989 must've been rough.

Her site is here, but it seems to be part of some insane webring that refuses to let you see any member site unless you stop it from loading as soon as content shows up. I'm more surprised that webrings still exist, honestly. But this is her commentary on 9 Nov. 1989.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

The Bible posted:

I can almost believe that there are sane and reasonable people who believe that, because there are sane and reasonable people who believe a lot of basically harmless but incredibly weird poo poo. The important part is that no sane and reasonable person who believes this is going to start a thread about it on SA and expect people to not call his ridiculous beliefs ridiculous.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Corridor posted:

The poor guy was just self aware enough to realise that the whole idea of otherkin is pretty loving crazy, but not self aware enough to not actually be an otherkin.

I hope that someday a former otherkin (emphasis on "former") will post on SA to talk about what went on his/her mind that create such a crazy belief.

It would provide some fascinating insights on insanity in general.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zenostein posted:

Her site is here, but it seems to be part of some insane webring that refuses to let you see any member site unless you stop it from loading as soon as content shows up. I'm more surprised that webrings still exist, honestly. But this is her commentary on 9 Nov. 1989.

This is so bizarre, it has to be some sort of troll. If not, she's hilariously selfish and immoral. 'gently caress the German people and their legitimate aspirations, the only thing that matters is that I love this inanimate object.'

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012

Jeek posted:

I hope that someday a former otherkin (emphasis on "former") will post on SA to talk about what went on his/her mind that create such a crazy belief.

It would provide some fascinating insights on insanity in general.

The Melted Snowflake tumblr mentioned earlier in this thread provides some insight.

RalAegidius
Nov 12, 2004

It's a crow. In a box.
The thing is, people with genuine beliefs of this kind are NOT sane. They're just very good at appearing to be sane.

I've had occasion to talk to a lot of people who have profoundly messed up views of reality. What's fascinating is how lucid and reasonable they sound...right up to the point where they start talking matter-of-factly about being space dragons.

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!

Benly posted:

I knew a guy who believed (or at least claimed) the energy ball thing in high school. He was otherwise non-crazy and a good guy overall, so it was just kind of a "...huh. Okay, then" moment. Is this widespread?

As a former crazy Wiccan, yes it is. Energy ball exercises, among other totally nutty things, are in pretty much all the books about Wicca, so people aren't just getting it from animes.

I've been following this thread since the beginning, and drat does a lot of this crap hit close to home. I have a ton of stories about my crazy Wiccan friends in high school and my own batshit insane otherkin weeaboo phase, but I'm not sure if I want to tell them to the internet. I've suppressed most of my memories of that though, and I'm not sure if I want to bring it back up.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Fame Throwa posted:

As a former crazy Wiccan, yes it is. Energy ball exercises, among other totally nutty things, are in pretty much all the books about Wicca, so people aren't just getting it from animes.

"Now all you gotta do is hunch all up on yourself, pretend you're holding a mystical orb in each hand, and let the evil flow forth."

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Allow me to introduce a dude so awful I'm not even going to invent a pseudonym for him:

Rotty: The Internet Dude Your Mom Warned You About

I first met Rotty when he showed up on my usual hangout, an MST3K-fan IRC server, as the coauthor of a story we were planning on riffing. Said story was an alternate-universe Star Trek: TNG story about hypersexualized adolescents, but this didn't necessarily raise any red flags for me. After all, my then-boyfriend had shown up at the group thanks to his anime tentacle-rape fanfic getting riffed, and he was nice enough, right?

I was an idiot.

Rotty and I became friends, but the longer I knew him, the more it became clear that the man was a steaming pile of id contained imperfectly in human skin. First of all, he fell in love with any woman he didn't figure would kill him for it, and soon enough, he confessed his love for me and started being extremely passive-aggressive about my dating someone. He had a lot of fetishes and bizarre peccadillos, and he had basically no shame, so we (and especially I) got to hear all about them: his love for BDSM, especially slavery stuff; his irrational but extremely strong disdain for pants; his never-explained hatred of his parents, with whom he still lived despite being college-aged; his transformation fetish; and most memorably... his cannibalism fetish.

Yes, Rotty had a boner for cannibalism, particularly the live-cooking and eating of young women. I got to hear about this at some length, to the point that he would even complain about stupid lines in his cannibal-fetish spank fodder at me, while I as a Geek Social Fallacies-infested idiot just "uh-huh"ed and tried not to be nauseous. The best part is that he continued holding a torch for me all this time, so I can only imagine it being some kind of bizarre reverse courtship ritual -- showing off the most shameful and disgusting parts of himself to try and win my heart.
I got involved in TVTropes at the naive young age of 14-and-new-to-the-Internet, before I quit it for being creepy... and naturally Rotty creeped on me (and every other woman on the site).

I had posted a picture of myself in my formal dress because some friends there asked about it. He posted, "Yes, good shoulders, hips, waist, breasts, _____..." naming off each one with that leering tone. Other posters called it out as being objectifying and weird. I knew nothing about his cannibalism fetish until now. It makes me sick to think of it now. :stare:

I have a few stories.
When I Was Unwittingly My Roommate's Destined Faerie Lesbian Lover
The Teenaged Succubi and her Yu-Gi-Oh Cult

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

angelfisher posted:

I have a few stories.

Are you waiting for a green light or something? Just go for it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you're ever going to ask if you should post a story, the answer is always yes.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Colon V posted:

If you're ever going to ask if you should post a story, the answer is always yes.

This thread and all the batshittry involved is what convinced me to sign up to SA. The crazy story train always accepts more passengers but must not have an end of line.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Colon V posted:

I think she's just taking a break while letting us know that more is coming.

(breaks are for the weak, post stories)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
So, I just recently found out that a friend of mine believes she has multiple personalities, and if she doesn't let them out to play she'll get a headache. :psyduck:

But I'm Super Special, You Guys!

I've known "Lacey" for about two years, and she's always been weird, but this level of crazy is new to me. She had been dating a friend of mine, and this all seemed to start after they broke up. I asked him about it, and it turns out she tried to tell him about her multiple personalities, and he just said no. He told her, very plainly, that she did not have multiple personalities, and he never heard another word about it until now. (Kind of explains why she felt scared to talk to him about a lot of things, though. He wouldn't validate her special snowflake status.)

Anyway, we were at a friend's house a few weeks ago, and she told me she had "something like multiple personalities" while the two of us were outside having a smoke. She assured me that she was seeing a therapist for it, too. I wasn't sure what to make of it then, but it pretty quickly turned into a train wreck falling down a rabbit hole. A week after she disclosed this information, someone else noticed something "off" about her. Like she suddenly changed expression and mannerisms at a big social event, and seemed like she was having trouble coping and figuring out what was going on.

Last week I got the full captive audience treatment. I had been taking a nap that afternoon when my boyfriend woke me up to say he'd be going to a friend's house, and that Lacey had come over for a bit. Reluctantly, I got up to entertain our guest, which mostly consisted of sitting around for a few hours, idly chatting and surfing the net from our laptops. She was also working on her resume, because my boyfriend had given her some advice, and looking online for jobs. She was also talking about making a new email address just for job searches and wanted my opinion. I said just get a drat Gmail account.

Eventually we both got pretty hungry, but it was about 9:30pm, so the restaurants nearby were closing, and neither of us wanted to cook. Luckily, I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, the kind where you see joggers and dog-walkers and cyclists out at midnight, just because. We also live pretty close to downtown, which is a pretty nice strip, except for one alley next to the huge nightclub. There are also several restaurants open late, and we figured the half hour walk was preferable to grocery shopping, cooking, and cleaning.

Lacey and I ended up at one of my favorite Chinese restaurants, and since I didn't have cash on me, she offered to cover me. I figured it was no big deal, since the banks were all a couple blocks away and I could pay her back right after dinner, no sweat. We ordered some shrimp chow mein and beef with chinese broccoli to share, and chatted away while waiting for our food. The waiter brought some water by, and she started playing with the lemon slice in her cup. I said something about her being easily amused, which she enthusiastically replied yes to. She was awfully chipper all of a sudden.

And then I realized that Lacey had checked out sometime within the last couple of minutes, and I was talking to someone else. Everything was fascinating to her, like the patterns cut out of the back of the chairs, the pattern on the table, even the fire extinguisher sign behind me. She even told me about the comic she made, where she saved someone from his house by burning it down. Apparently that was preferable to letting him bump his head on the wall as he tried to walk into it constantly. :stare: (Some later internet detectiving revealed that she actually did make this comic in Paint, about 5-6 years ago.)

I spent the next 10-15 minutes agonizing over whether or not she'd find it rude if I pulled out my cell phone and started texting someone for help. I also wondered if she'd remember offering to cover me, since I had no way of paying for the meal unless I could get to the bank. Hell, I wasn't even sure if she'd like broccoli or shrimp. Fortunately, this inner child persona has all the same tastes as Lacey.. and of course knows me and our mutual friends, and remembers things we talked about earlier, and even enjoys smoking! Most kids I know hate the smell of smoke.

More fortunate than that is the fact that my boyfriend came home early and sent me a text when he found the house empty. He came by to pick us up, and very graciously took care of the bill.

We brought her back to our place because her stuff was still there, and we weren't sure what else to do. Our roommate had also just gotten home, with another friend. Lacey's alt was super excited to see them, and glomped them a few times while they were sitting on the couch. She also drew a terrible doodle of herself on our whiteboard. I kind of wish I had taken a picture, but it creeped me out so I erased it later. It looked like a catgirl angel or something, and was signed by her alt, who I will refer to as Feather. (Of course, in reality, her alt has a super ~unique~ Japanese name, and it's very easy to Google.)

After nervously hanging out for a bit, we invented a reason to go to bed early and took her home. Lacey kept up the act the entire time. Boyfriend and I were both thinking of combat strategies in case she turned out to be the violent sort of crazy, but thankfully she was mostly content to talk about her wings and wanting her own email address, because Lacey and I were talking about it earlier. We were also treated to some glomping when we finally dropped her off.

Lacey sent me a text the next day, to apologize for Feather "coming out to play", because she really likes me and boyfriend. :suicide:

This turned out a bit longer than I planned, so I think I'll end it here for now. Maybe later tonight I'll write something about Feather's new Facebook account, poo poo hitting the fans, and the internet detectiving we did after her ex tipped us off. It'll also be much more obvious why I'm posting in this thread, instead of any other thread about crazies. (I'll take a break if I drat well feel like it.)

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

RalAegidius posted:

I've had occasion to talk to a lot of people who have profoundly messed up views of reality. What's fascinating is how lucid and reasonable they sound...right up to the point where they start talking matter-of-factly about being space dragons.

My Immortal...Maths Teacher ?

A perfect illustration of that, I used to be a member of the same social club as a retired maths teacher who quite seriously believed that as the result of the regime of healthy living he followed, he would live forever. He literally believed that he would not die (and that he hadn't aged since...a date a long time ago that I can't remember, although if you saw him it was blatantly clear that the guy was in his sixties at least). At some point before I knew him he'd been featured on a Ricky Gervaise comedy video, essentially as a mockable oddball, but this hadn't put him off a bit.

He was generally fairly socially awkward, but you could have a conversation with him and he was apparently sane on all other issues. I actually had him over at my flat for coffee evenings, more than once. Basically, we all tried to keep him away from the subject of his immortality, though, because there was just no stopping him once he got on the point. I suppose it's what you'd call monomania.

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Are you waiting for a green light or something? Just go for it!
No, I had to go to work. Think of it as a teaser trailer.

Junior year of high school, the incoming sophomores had... changed. It all started in the flute section of the marching band. The Marching Succubi.

I'll call their defacto leader Fay, though I see on her Facebook page she still refers to herself as "Darkangel Giovanni" and "Shaudowqueen Unknown" (the u is supposed to be there). She would tell anyone who would listen that she was a "soocoobuy" (succubi), and when they asked what that was, she'd proudly declare, "Oh, nothing. A vampire's mistress was reincarnated in me when I opened The Chamber." She'd make up fantastically self-gratifying stories about her decades worth of vampire boyfriends... and it was entertaining, but then, she discovered anime.

Instead of a "soocoobuy" being a vampire's mistress, suddenly it meant that you were something or another to do with Yu-Gi-Oh and Egyptian mythology. This is when she stopped being just one Fay and had her own pack of "desumuffins". Each of her anime-obsessed friends called each other "dee-soo-muffin" as a pet name, when not saying Cynthia-chan or whatever. They'd play Yu-Gi-Oh at lunch together in the cafeteria, not that weird, but least one desumuffin would end up in screaming tears over some play during their game or whatever most days. Another thing they seemed to love was Rozen Maiden, where I assume they picked up the "dee-soo" from. One of them brought a porcelain baby doll that they glued an eyepatch on to make more "anime" around with them. Once Rozen dolls became their little thing, "soo-coo-buy" came to mean, "An escaped Rosa Mystery has been absorbed into my energy field." Apparently, all of the other desumuffins had Rosa Mysteries in them too, but Fay was the Most Pure of All because Anubis had granted it to her or some poo poo so she was allowed to boss all of them around.

Fay would manipulate them into giving her money under the guise of her using it for their little club/clique/cult. It went past "spot me a 10" here and there, though I don't know by how much. None of the desumuffins had a lot of money at home. She would also steal clothes and other possessions from them, and we all only found out the extent when suspicions were brought up by school administration about her stealing.

Fay the Purest Succubi relentlessly bullied her dogged second-in-command of the desumuffins, who I'll call Jane. Jane had a very bad life at home and seemed like a sweet enough girl. She was obsessed with Vocaloids. She claimed that she was connected to the soul of Miku, some Vocaloid, and said she would have to be sacrificed or sacrifice something! in order to free Miku from her robot/anime/astral/computer/whatever (it varied) form and to make her a real girl. This girl was obviously depressed and had self-harm issues, which made it all the sadder that she latched on to something like that as escape, and that she would have been harmed by Fay.

Jane eventually got a boyfriend and tried to move out of Fay's desumuffin group, which pissed off the Purest Succubi, naturally. Fay vandalized Jane's Deviantart account (one thing she prided herself on) and tried to bully her into coming back in. Jane was crushed, but resisted, so Fay shunned Jane and spread rumors about her self-harming motivation.

Last I saw of Fay, she was obsessed with gore anime and talked about having dreams of chopping up her parents in the night and being a kawaii anime ax-murderer. She is not receiving psychological help. Jane's boyfriend broke up with her and she's apparently now deeper into the Miku soul connection or whatever. Both have quit marching band.

These people are really pretty :smith:, as if being 15 isn't stupid enough.

This is a long post, so I'll save When I Was Unwittingly My Roommate's Destined Faerie Lesbian Lover for later.

Edit: bad spelling.

angelfisher fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 24, 2012

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
OP, is your Denise from Massachusetts? I went to high school with a Denise who could match your initial description.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

angelfisher posted:

No, I had to go to work. Think of it as a teaser trailer.

What I find funniest about this is that apparently that person, despite being obsessed with this stuff, apparently couldn't pronounce any of it correctly.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Install Gentoo posted:

What I find funniest about this is that apparently that person, despite being obsessed with this stuff, apparently couldn't pronounce any of it correctly.

Does that include the fact tha succubi is plural? The singular form is succubus.

lucythenomad
Mar 6, 2012

Raimundus posted:

OP, is your Denise from Massachusetts? I went to high school with a Denise who could match your initial description.

I think the OP mentioned being Canadian.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

angelfisher posted:

These people are really pretty :smith:, as if being 15 isn't stupid enough.

Yeah, I get you -- at the risk of careposting, what really bothers me about these stories isn't the craziness, it's how often the craziness leads to a cult of personality that ends up getting vulnerable kids hurt. I've sometimes wondered what makes these people so compelling despite their obvious delusions, and the only thing I can glean from my own adolescent experiences is that the delusions are what make them compelling; for a certain type of sad adolescent, the very concept of someone being really weird makes them special and interesting, and the really delusional ones tend to have self-confidence that your average kid just doesn't have (because if they had any sense of self-consciousness, they wouldn't be talking about being the ~Purest of Succubi~ or whatever).

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't know that it was faux pas to occasionally show genuine concern here.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Raimundus posted:

I didn't know that it was faux pas to occasionally show genuine concern here.
We are not on somethingconsiderate.com after all. Isn't ruthless mocking the norm on these forums?

And the new depictions of crazies are good as ever.

@angelfisher: How old is Fay now?

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

Jeek posted:

We are not on somethingconsiderate.com after all. Isn't ruthless mocking the norm on these forums?

Would you be mocking them if you didn't already find them somehow abnormal or disconcerting?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Some of these stories make me a little sad too, when people who just need a friend get sucked into a crazystorm. The story I have is pretty much the opposite of that so far, but it's a current event so things could always change. :j:

Feather Makes Friends! (And Immediately Loses Half of Them)

Ever since Lacey and her boyfriend broke up, she's been hanging out with me and my boyfriend a lot. I didn't mind at first, because we were helping a friend, and I'm not the crazy jealous type. It was a little weird though, that she was calling, texting, and IMing him constantly, sometimes as early as 7am. She never IMs me, and rarely do I get a call or text from her. Naturally, this worried both of us, especially since he never responds to the 7am harassment. Thankfully she ceased all contact recently after he refused to indulge in her crazy fantasy. We just found out last night that another one of Lacey's personas has been hitting on another friend's boyfriend, so bullet dodged, I guess.

Prior to dropping contact, Lacey mention that her "condition" started when she was in high school. I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I don't think it's common for people to just wake up crazy, and she has no history of head trauma, that I'm aware of. She also mentioned having one less personality, because she had to kill the demon squirrel in her head before it killed her. :stare:

I mentioned at the end of my last post that Feather had her own Facebook page. I guess she decided that our first meeting went so well, that things could only go up from there, so I got the friend request a couple days later. Her Facebook wall wasn't much to look at, at that moment. Just a few overly dramatic pictures of her wearing cheap angel wings, fuzzy ears, and a tail, with a badge for the local anime convention clipped to her shirt. Weird, but not the craziest thing I've seen.

Then Feather started to post on Lacey's wall. She asked everyone to give Lacey hugs, "cuz it's awkward when I do it!" Lacey responded with thanks.. and several friends responded by telling her that this is freaking them out and she needs help. Naturally, she sought validation instead of help, and started IMing my boyfriend to ask him if he believed her. In response, she got a very carefully worded letter that amounted to "no, and you need help". This is the point where the two of them stopped talking, and since I had told her off already, most of the story from here is going to be rumors and internet detectivery.

Things I have learned about Lacey/Feather either from her ex or Google, in no particular order:

-Feather is originally a character from a self-insert Naruto fanfic that Lacey's friends wrote in high school.

-One of Lacey's friends originally designed Feather. Pretty sure multiple personalities don't work that way. Also, they're not angel wings, they're pigeon wings. At least that's different, I guess.

-Lacey is a "published author" with a "novel". It's a 50-page teen angst fest available from a self-publishing site.

-Lacey's Twitter feed hasn't been updated in years, but around the time we met she posted something like, "I believe everyone has an identity disorder, they just don't know it yet or name their personalities". :stare:

-Her mother is totally schizophrenic, but never has symptoms.

-Lacey has had at least a dozen major relationships so far, including three engagements. She's in her early 20s.

That's about all I've got for now, since we stopped talking to her a week ago. Hopefully there will be something more interesting to talk about later, because she still has some friends on the fence about her condition, some believe her, and some are seriously enabling it. We also attend many of the same social events, so I'm going to run into her fairly regularly.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Mizufusion posted:

Prior to dropping contact, Lacey mention that her "condition" started when she was in high school. I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I don't think it's common for people to just wake up crazy, and she has no history of head trauma, that I'm aware of.

I remember a thread in A/T a few years back, about a girl claiming to have an actual multiple personality disorder. Of course there were posters who doubted her, but all in all it was an interesting read, and she made no claims that she was not batshit insane. Anyway, one of the things she mentioned, from what I remember, was that she had those personalities from as long as she could remember, and considered it normal until it was explained to her that other people don't, in fact, have multiple people living in their heads.

If anyone could find that thread, I'll seriously consider buying myself archives, it was really good.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
I'm pretty sure the typical age of onset for many mental disorders is somewhere around the teens to early twenties. A friend of mine has always been perfectly optimistic and laid-back until she hit 22 and bam, anxiety disorder. My neighbour was also a perfectly normal kid who started getting weird around 16, now he's 25 and thinks he's Jesus. He's smarter than the old Jesus though because he isn't stupid enough to get himself killed by the Muslim mafia just for helping mankind out.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I think the most common onset of paranoid schizophrenia is in teens and early twenties when the mind is going through its last really huge structural change. There's still some baggage with people associating schizophrenia with "multiple personalities" so it's possible she just latched onto that as her mental processes started breaking down.

Or she might be addicted to the attention, who knows. (Not a psychologist)

angelfisher
Aug 15, 2011

Jeek posted:

@angelfisher: How old is Fay now?
Not 18 yet. I think she was held back a year.

I went to art camp one summer, which was awesome aside from the experience with my roommate. Even when we had just been there for the half-day introduction, one girl stuck out. Let's call her Mina. The way she dressed was the first indicator, since she was wearing an ~anime~ frilly headband and some anime T-shirt along with an honest-to-God tutu. Within the first 4 hours of knowing her, she closed her eyes and loudly started humming and singing gibberish songs about 10 times. Most of the little art nerds were very shy and didn't really know what to say to her, so, they ignored it, but a few asked what she was doing.

"Oh," she said, "I pray as often as possible so she'll hear my cries for protection!"

"...ok." So most of the rest of them figured, okay, it's a religious thing.

But the thing that became really irritating about her is that she would call everything "human being" and "gay" and say outwardly homophobic things constantly. People called her out on it to stop that poo poo, and she just said grandly, "I have been granted every right to say anything about it I want!" So everyone avoided her, especially since a lot of the camp attendees were actually LGBTQ.

So the first night, I told her I was sick of hearing the homophobic stuff and that she better keep those opinions to herself if she wanted to make any friends here. She just smiled and said, "But I'm a lesbian! I can use "gay" all I want!" But of course, no one else knew that.

"NOBODY CAN KNOW!" she said. She was all worried whether or not I was worried. I said I really didn't care if she was a lesbian or not and that it was okay. She looked relieved, of course. I said, "Well, if you don't want people to know, you should just not say anything about gay people or whatever, since it doesn't come up in conversation that often... and you're just bringing it up if you call someone human being..." I didn't really know what to do with her telling just me. She said it wasn't even the same thing, not at all, because ~she~ wasn't like all of the other GAYS on Earth.
"er... how?"
"Can you keep a secret?" she leered from her bunk.
"I won't tell anyone."
"Not about that. I'm... really different. My love has been granted by Gaia. I'm not really a human at all."
"Uh."
So Mina went on to say how she's a reincarnated fairy and these fairies only love other fairies. Their attraction is soooo strong because Gaia is dying and needs new rulers of her realm in her "galaxy", and that she won't be able to grant people love once she's dead. So on Earth, she's appointed that two fairies must fall in love, and bear her "new fruit and future rulers". This would involve two fairies in "earth vessels" (in Earth girl form, apparently) planting their "~starlight seeds~" within each other, to make a new fairy.
"Oh, that's cool. So are you going to use that for your narrative painting?" I figured she was just telling me a story or her idea for a project and seeing if I liked it.
"NO! Non-fairies can never know of this, or they'd surely want to kill us and stop our love! They'd dissect us to figure out how we made love and pluck our wings~"
"Oh...
...so why are you telling me this?"
She smiled and told me that she could tell from the minute I walked in the room that I, too, was a fairy, and had just not discovered my "wings" yet and that I'd have to meditate for hours and to have a mysterious "rite of passage" to awaken them. I told her that I wasn't really interested as gently as I could.
"But you CAN NOT CHOOSE THESE THINGS! What Gaia chooses must be done! You will be a seed-bearer!"
I told her that I'm pregnancy phobic.
She whined about how I wasn't grateful for the honor, but she was glad that she found me, for now we could bear seeds together because it was ~destined~
:stare: No, thank you
;-* *sigh* Gaia will see.
:stare: Really, really, let's not.
;-* so... are you a lesbian?
:stare: What?
;-* I just thought since you were cool about having me as a roommate...
:stare: No, I'm not, I just don't think it's a big deal. Uh, sorry.
;-* (looks really embarrassed)

So Mina sulked the rest of the night, and later in the week, apologized about it. Before that, though, she made an offhand remark that Gaia probably would put a curse on my heart though. She still was making homophobic comments and acting hostile toward the LGBTQ members of the camp.

Once again, I felt really sorry for her in the end, because her whole Gaia fairy poo poo seemed to be a thing to help her try to deal with her closeted sexuality. I live in a conservative region, and when I met her parents at the end of the week, they seemed to be the hyper-Christian types and annoyed at her.

Again, pretty :smith:.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm really really worry about the social circles some of you guys are in.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
I'm just glad the thread is alive again with actual stories.

Nothing much to add, except I heard some "news" about Bob (the weirdest acquaintance I've ever had, but his crazy stories were in our D&D games mostly, and at least back then he could tell the difference between fantasy and reality). Apparently he joined the army, and at some point a couple of years ago he picked a fight with a shower curtain rail (or was it the plumbing?). Anyway, the fellow soldiers witnessing the scene very gently talked him out of it. Psychological problems are really common among the troops, but even Bob's behavior was just too hosed up, and he had to be told perhaps the army wasn't for him after all...

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Mizufusion posted:

Prior to dropping contact, Lacey mention that her "condition" started when she was in high school. I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but I don't think it's common for people to just wake up crazy, and she has no history of head trauma, that I'm aware of. She also mentioned having one less personality, because she had to kill the demon squirrel in her head before it killed her. :stare:

Lacey's story overall is more sad than funny to me (she needs psychiatric help urgently, or at least a decent therapist), but this cracked me up. I may be a terrible person, but I would have asked for full details of the epic mental demon-squirrel battle. Was Feather involved, or is Feather too pure to kill a living creature, however demonic?

RalAegidius
Nov 12, 2004

It's a crow. In a box.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really really worry about the social circles some of you guys are in.

Being a geek, even a well-adjusted one, tends to attract crazy people like a singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Antivehicular posted:

Lacey's story overall is more sad than funny to me (she needs psychiatric help urgently, or at least a decent therapist), but this cracked me up. I may be a terrible person, but I would have asked for full details of the epic mental demon-squirrel battle. Was Feather involved, or is Feather too pure to kill a living creature, however demonic?

I honestly have no idea; I'll have to ask my boyfriend since he's the one she told abut this. I like to imagine there was some epic air battles involved. As far as getting help goes, I'm at a loss for what to do with her. She's told me and several others that she was in therapy, but she told other people she isn't being treated. A month ago she didn't seem crazy at all, just weird. Now she's telling everyone and their mother about Feather.

I hadn't really stopped to consider the age when many mental disorders set in either; she very well could be crazy but I doubt it's an actual personality/identity disorder. There actually is one guy in our circle of friends with DID, and even he calls her an attention whore. His description of having an episode is like having a seizure and blacking out, then waking up somewhere else. I should ask if he has Naruto characters in his head.

Also, Lacey has resumed pestering my boyfriend at odd hours. She's switched from 7am to 1am. She sent about a dozen texts last night because she wanted to convert a character from a tabletop rpg she's playing into a larp character, and was very excited about it. It kind of makes me wonder whether her larp characters live in her head too. I don't want to be eaten by a vampire. :ohdear:

RalAegidius posted:

Being a geek, even a well-adjusted one, tends to attract crazy people like a singularity.

Jesus loving Christ this is true. Most of my friends are decently well-adjusted geeks, but there's always a handful of crazies. The last really significant one in our group had Aspergers and Borderline Personality Disorder. She was a boatload of fun to be around. I don't think she did anything really worthy of describing in this thread, though. She was mostly just loud, socially inept, and aggressively passive aggressive.

• Locked thread