Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
She is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mobo85 posted:

Gravity Falls is hilarious and really feels a lot like Regular Show. I hope Disney treats it well, because it looks like they have another hit on their hands.

I have to say I'm impressed with Dipper and Mabel's chemistry as they both work well onscreen. Normally when sibling main characters are introduced the guy is the adventurous, immature character who goes on fun adventures while the girl is the level headed, wise-beyond-her-years type that's always like "I don't think this is a good idea." I was expecting them to be fighting the entire time which gets played out but they both compliment each other well. The last shows I remember doing this are El Tigre with Manny and Frida and maybe Dexter's Lab whenever Dee Dee and Dexter worked together.

"Grappling hook!"

e: Ha, in the intro when they show a forest clearing there's a split second where a dark shadow can be seen. Sascrotch?

al-azad fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 16, 2012

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Regular Show-like show about cryptozoology poo poo with Schaal as a voice? Count me IN Disney.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wait, where are you seeing this? I thought the show wasn't scheduled to start until the twenty*mumble*th?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

This made me laugh way too hard. So far it seems like a fantastic show with a X-files/Twin Peaks vibe.

EDIT:

Anyone know a host for GIFs over 2 mb?

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 16, 2012

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait, where are you seeing this? I thought the show wasn't scheduled to start until the twenty*mumble*th?

Well, the episode was leaked on iTunes before it aired (it's still up there), plus it aired last night, I believe.

I really hope this show does well, pretty much everything about it is brilliant.
I might consider making a thread about this show when the next episode airs (if someone doesn't beat me to it). I'm totally in love with it so far. The animation is gorgeous, the characters are likeable, and the music is fantastic. Tons of .gif-worthy moments too.

There's also apparently some sort of ARG or whatever you want to call it going on with stuff in the show. For example, there's the Caesar code at the end which I believe translates to "WELCOME TO GRAVITY FALLS". People are also connecting what seems like a bunch of random bullshit right now with the game on their website, the journal that Dipper found, etc.

EDIT:

Mabel is basically the best

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Poultron posted:

There's also apparently some sort of ARG or whatever you want to call it going on with stuff in the show. For example, there's the Caesar code at the end which I believe translates to "WELCOME TO GRAVITY FALLS". People are also connecting what seems like a bunch of random bullshit right now with the game on their website, the journal that Dipper found, etc.

There's a similar message encoded the same way in an image that flashes at the end of the opening credits in what appears to be an excerpt from that mysterious journal. It translates to "Stan is not what he seems". One of those other scrawls looks mighty familiar, too. (By which I mean the Konami code.)

There's also what appears to be a backwards message at the end of the theme song, but I haven't the tech to figure it out.

ETA: The backwards message hidden in the theme song is itself a clue on how to decode the other messages: "three letters back." (The theme song doesn't sound that bad backwards, either.)

mobo85 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 17, 2012

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stan has a tattoo on his back that's referenced by one of the messages/AR games. You can see it poking out of his wife beater.

I hope this is as cool as it's building up to be. Adventure Time is only other show with actual continuity and hidden messages and poo poo.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Gonna watch this show just for that loving pig.

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
Well who's this guy over here?

He seems familiar somehow, oh wait.

looks like he might be a "Pops up in every episode" guy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Is that a giant lawn gnome made of smaller lawn gnomes? :stare:

Poultron
May 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Is that a giant lawn gnome made of smaller lawn gnomes? :stare:

They are "actual" gnomes, but other than that, you are correct.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Seems like this show might be deep enough to warrant a thread.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

Seems like this show might be deep enough to warrant a thread.

I think I'm going to go ahead and actually make one right now, if nobody objects. Only thing I can't quite decide on is a title.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
My wisdom is both a blessing and a curse: Gravity Falls thread

edit: oh you already made it, never mind.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Teaser for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. The CGI Turtles don't look as bad animated as they do in stills, but the facial expressions look a little odd.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mobo85 posted:

Teaser for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. The CGI Turtles don't look as bad animated as they do in stills, but the facial expressions look a little odd.

The design they had for April looked really odd too. If the final one is the same as the actual action figure it still will look really blocky.

Infact they almost look like they could be robots if they were textured in a metallic color. Their proportions really give off that robot vibe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
:psyduck: I have NO idea what I think about that teaser.

The animation when they're fighting is really nice, and their faces are really expressive. However their talking animations look... really strange. Like, it kind of looks like when anyone talks in Robot Chicken. I can't decide if I like what I'm seeing or not.

Did people here like the TMNT movie that came out a few years ago? I was really surprised by how good it was, especially the rooftop scene between Raphael and Leonardo

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Macaluso posted:

:psyduck: I have NO idea what I think about that teaser.

The animation when they're fighting is really nice, and their faces are really expressive. However their talking animations look... really strange. Like, it kind of looks like when anyone talks in Robot Chicken. I can't decide if I like what I'm seeing or not.

Yeah, the style is way more cartoony than anything I've seen in TMNT before. It's a bit distracting, but I could see myself getting used to it over time.

I don't think I'm going to be able to get used to Donatello having Raphael's old voice, though.

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

HypnoCabbage posted:

Yeah, the style is way more cartoony than anything I've seen in TMNT before.

no it isn't

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In all fairness, HypnoCabbage could be 15 or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'd say more stylized would be a better way to put it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

mobo85 posted:

That whole thing looked like a Playstation 2 cutscene.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
I'm on the storyboard team for TMNT. I'm glad a real trailer is finally out so people can start to see what we've been working on. I suppose I'm biased, but I promise this is going to be a really, really good iteration of the franchise. I wish I could talk about why, but needless to say it's all pretty hush-hush for now :(

Nate Breakman
Oct 16, 2003

Recycle Bin posted:

I'm on the storyboard team for TMNT. I'm glad a real trailer is finally out so people can start to see what we've been working on. I suppose I'm biased, but I promise this is going to be a really, really good iteration of the franchise. I wish I could talk about why, but needless to say it's all pretty hush-hush for now :(

I have a bad frame of reference for this sort of thing, but there's that shot where they all shush Mike and he's all tiny, and I can't remember seeing that in 3D stuff before. I'm sure that sort of thing's existed, but I at least don't remember seeing it often.

My point is I like seeing people pushing 3D toward something more stylistic instead of just trying to render the gently caress out of things, and that little slice of the trailer got me curious to see more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I hope it's more TMNT 2003 than TMNT 1987. I did not care for the original as a kid. Even at less than 10 years old I thought it was too goofy. Of course I was just about the only one my age that had actually read a number of the original comics. So I was expecting something much different then.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.
So how many of you have caught the first season of The Legend Of Korra and what did you think of it?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
There's a Korra thread for that.

KKoserYaks
May 4, 2012

And what you call chaos is my beauty.
Oh... Whoops... Can't believe I didn't catch that.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, guys, I don't know how many are interested, but I'm doing the TV IV Awards again this year, and as usual, I'd like to get some kid show submissions in.

Here's the thread.

You'd be submitting under "Outstanding Comedy" or "Outstanding Drama"; if you're self-conscious about seeming like you're putting a kids show on the same pedestal as something like Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, you can make it clear that you're just submitting shows so they can be part of the "Youth-Oriented" categories. (There's so many offshoots of those two base categories that I just said "screw it" and had people submit under those two, promising to re-categorize candidates for the nomination vote.)

Thanks, fellas, hope my shilling wasn't too annoying.

Saskatoon
Sep 17, 2010

I got mad love for Hey Arnold. The show was so good it got me looking into Craig Bartlett's most recent effort, Dinosaur Train. If you're looking for more Hey Arnold, don't look there. Its not bad, but show is very much for 5 year olds, not really enjoyable by a childless yet grown-rear end man like me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dinosaur Train, as in the "airs before Sesame Street in the mornings on PBS" Dinosaur Train? Why on earth would you think that would bear any similarity to Hey Arnold?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

raditts posted:

Dinosaur Train, as in the "airs before Sesame Street in the mornings on PBS" Dinosaur Train? Why on earth would you think that would bear any similarity to Hey Arnold?

Because Craig Bartlett worked on both shows.

Also, as an unrepentant paleo-geek, I fully endorse "Dinosaur Train" for children and their parents. It's cute, clever, and sweet. And it's writers have a better grasp on life in the Mesozoic era than the writers of "Terra Nova", although that's saddening.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Motercity premiered in the uk.

At 7am...

Shows how much faith they have in that venture.

I give it and Tron a month before they're cancelled in favour of more dramedy bullshit.

Shame, can totally see where this can be good.

Edit: good lord, what on earth were they doing with the video on that pokemon episode on
My recording?!

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 7, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ConanThe3rd posted:

Motercity premiered in the uk.

At 7am...

Shows how much faith they have in that venture.

I give it and Tron a month before they're canceled in favour of more dramedy bullshit.

Shame, can totally see where this can be good.

Edit: good lord, what on earth were they doing with the video on that pokemon episode on
My recording?!

They're both well animated but I couldn't muster up any interest beyond the first episode because I'm one of those people where I can't sit through lousy writing to enjoy pretty animation.

That and Motorcity has one of the worst cases of Annoying Sidekick Who Screams All The Time ever.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Motorcity has really great art and character design, but holy moly the characters are boring. It says a lot that my favorite characters are two side villains who have had maybe 15ish minutes of screen time, tops, over any of the main characters.

That said, I'm going to keep watching it even if the sidekick won't stop screaming.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I was just watching motorcity and wondering if I was the only one who felt the animation is really really nice but the script is junk.

I'm not alone anymore!

It feels like they should try and do what Sym Bionic Titan did. They share alot of similarities in style, concepts, and archtypes. The sidekick character feels like they're trying too hard to write him. His main source of existance seems to be watch him say things IN A REAL LOUD VOICE AND ITS GOING TO BE AN INTERNET MEME. To an extent he's just Dane Cook with no sense of timing. They have to tone him back in order to make him work. Take for example Starscream, people rmember starscream as being batshit crazy. However 90% of the time he was perfectly sane, he went batshit crazy at the right moments and that's what made him memorable.

Sofar they've given some characters history, but it doesn't feel like it's enough. It's still too surface level, you gotta go in deeper like what Sym Bionic titan did with the three main characters. Have them make social links outside of the main team to flesh them out and give them depth. It also allows them to be more dynamic and allow for greater character development. I mean if you can't make an episode based around a main cast member last for 22-25 minutes then you really need to add some stuff to make them interesting.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vaerai Archon posted:

I was just watching motorcity and wondering if I was the only one who felt the animation is really really nice but the script is junk.

I'm not alone anymore!

I wasn't surprised to find out that the people who did Megas XLR were behind Motorcity, because Megas had a similar problem with the script but they were able to get away with it because it was a comedic show. It gets a lot harder to forgive with a more straightforward, action-oriented show like Metalcity.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Farbtoner posted:

I wasn't surprised to find out that the people who did Megas XLR were behind Motorcity, because Megas had a similar problem with the script but they were able to get away with it because it was a comedic show. It gets a lot harder to forgive with a more straightforward, action-oriented show like Metalcity.

I knew it was the same people the moment I saw the Biker guy with the bandanna. He's been in all of their animations even dating back to when they did shows for MTV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Hey is anybody at Comic Con? I really want a Complete Series of MM Power Rangers and willing to pay someone to buy it for me.