Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
ReindeerF, you capture thaiglish perfectly, it's amazing. Perfect romanization of thai pronunciation of english words, too. I could listen to you ranting about ThaiVisa Brits all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

All the consumer culture here, from what I can tell, is just a couple of years behind ours. I know it's all Korea-focused these days, with a healthy dash of Japan obsession, but as far as I can tell it's basically chasing America's consumer trajectory. Academy Fantasia, Thai Big Brother, Thailand's Got Talent, etc. The rash of sex tapes a few years ago at least had some sort of democratic impulse, heh.
Here comes the American style morale outrage too!

http://news.yahoo.com/topless-thai-painter-talent-show-stirs-debate-062908113.html

quote:

An episode of "Thailand's Got Talent" has stirred a morality debate after a contestant painted a canvas using her bare breasts, drawing a rebuke from the culture minister who called it shocking.

Thailand's Culture Minister Sukumol Kunplome summoned the show's producers Monday, saying that nudity on public television is not considered appropriate in Thai society.

On Sunday evening, the show featured a 23-year-old artist who politely addressed the judges, then turned to face her canvas. She removed her shirt, doused her torso with multicolored paint and used her body as a paintbrush while dance music played in the background.

She advanced to the next round after a female judge rejected her but two male judges voted her through.
I'm not sure how I missed the painting it with her breasts part of the performance. Then again I only paid attention to the last half of the act on TV

Thailand's culture minister..isn't that the same person who went berserk over Lady Gaga because she didn't understand jokes?

Haha ok found a pic. This is not someone you would want to meet in a dark alley during a time of famine:

quote:

The only big departure from that which I've noticed has been the successful import of European (mostly EPL) soccer that's happened entirely in the last 4-5 years as ThaiBev and Boonrawd have invested in sponsoring teams there for more exposure. I guess wishing they'd chosen American college football instead is going to go nowhere.
It's hopeless all of SEA is enamored with the footie. I don't understand why because SEA is god awful at the sport. At least Muay Thai is cool. I remember being asked about who my favorite player was on Manchester United or Arsenal and I just gave the default "David Beckham" answer. Then I got a strange look until I realized that he is now in the U.S. playing in our bush league.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I've travelled to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Malaysia in recent years and this autumn me and the missus are thinking of going to Bali for two weeks.

Is there anything different about Bali that I might not have experienced in my travels across SE Asia so far? Anything to be aware of safety-wise? Also I'd like to know from people who have been their experience of day to day living costs, hotels, any place that are must see/avoid? Basically any inside info from people who have spent some time there. Thanks.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

ReindeerF posted:

I enjoy being lectured to about economic inequality and the oppressive nature of capitalism by kids smoking pot out of a potato bong in their dorm room (between their WoW sessions) - when I'm not being called a misogynist for using the word hysterical or accused of ableism for calling someone retarded, that is. It used to be a right-wing cesspool, now it's more of a left-wing cesspool. Still, best place to keep up with American politics from abroad!

I've been waiting for someone in the SE Asia thread to go on an inequality rant about something the monarchy did resulting in Lowtax getting a call from the Thai secret service. Most of the people posting there seem to have a head on their shoulders though as the topics kind of require you to know what you're talking about.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Finch! posted:

eviljelly, are you the failed bank robber? If you never post again I shall assume it's you and disregard our beer rendesvouz arrangement.

Haha, I vaguely heard about that through facebook. And, yes, yes I am. That's why I've fled to Bangkok.

So if anyone's around Bangkok tomorrow night, come have a beer with me and ReindeerF - I'll tell you all about my failed heist.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

rhazes posted:

ReindeerF, you capture thaiglish perfectly, it's amazing. Perfect romanization of thai pronunciation of english words, too. I could listen to you ranting about ThaiVisa Brits all day.
Thanks rhazes. I find that I can't discuss the British in Thailand without sounding like some racist in Mississippi. Every sentence starts with, "Look I have a number of good British friends..." or "I'm not saying all British are awful..." Still, those who manage to post online sure are among the worst.

Modus Operandi posted:

Here comes the American style morale outrage too!
Apparently right before I moved here the bars could still stay open 24 hours and liquor sales were 24 hours too (not like there aren't still exceptions). I remember when they passed the law saying you couldn't drink at wats, government properties and other religious areas. My favorite outrage recently was the topless coyote girls video, heh.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I've been waiting for someone in the SE Asia thread to go on an inequality rant about something the monarchy did resulting in Lowtax getting a call from the Thai secret service. Most of the people posting there seem to have a head on their shoulders though as the topics kind of require you to know what you're talking about.
There was the guy who seemed to be trying to take umbrage on behalf of the Burmese at my tongue-in-cheek note that people in the thread should call Myanmar, "Burma" and never Myanmar. Like, "Who are you to tell them what to call their country?" :iiam:

eviljelly posted:

Haha, I vaguely heard about that through facebook. And, yes, yes I am. That's why I've fled to Bangkok.

So if anyone's around Bangkok tomorrow night, come have a beer with me and ReindeerF - I'll tell you all about my failed heist.
Forgot to mention this! Yes, we'll be at KSR - me from around 19:00 or 20:00, eviljelly from who knows when. Bring your beer money.

In pertinent thread news, here is a Thailand travel tip:

The government just announced that they'll be running buses direct from Bangkok to Phnom Penh now, with a small test fleet designated, meaning that you'll be able to buy a legit government ticket all the way through. Probably gonna be difficult for now, but in the long run this will help tourists a lot in not having to deal with the ridiculous transport mafia at Poipet (though I'd recommend everyone to go Bangkok-Chantaburi-Baan Prakard-Pailin-Battambang-Phnom Penh anyway and stop in some of those cities).

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 18, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
So.. looks like two Canadian girls died in Ko Phi Phi from poisoning.. I know it's highly unlikely that would happen, but drat. That's still scary as hell.

:canada:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lol internet. posted:

So.. looks like two Canadian girls died in Ko Phi Phi from poisoning.. I know it's highly unlikely that would happen, but drat. That's still scary as hell.

:canada:
There was a spate of deaths there last year too, maybe year before. Strange, unexplained deaths in a guest house. I think they cited food poisoning then too. Families through it was probably a chemical and suspected a stream running behind the guesthouse. It could be food poisoning, but given that this is the police near Phi Phi and they don't have a toxicology report or anything, it's basically then trying to cork the publicity before it starts the way they always do. Something's poisoning tourists in Thailand and they're all dying very mysterious deaths. No one's quite sure what it is (happened in Chiang Mai too - food was blamed).

EDIT: Of course statistically I tell tourists not to worry about it. I mean I stay all over the country I haven't got ded yet (give me time, though!).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

There was a spate of deaths there last year too, maybe year before. Strange, unexplained deaths in a guest house. I think they cited food poisoning then too. Families through it was probably a chemical and suspected a stream running behind the guesthouse. It could be food poisoning, but given that this is the police near Phi Phi and they don't have a toxicology report or anything, it's basically then trying to cork the publicity before it starts the way they always do. Something's poisoning tourists in Thailand and they're all dying very mysterious deaths. No one's quite sure what it is (happened in Chiang Mai too - food was blamed).

EDIT: Of course statistically I tell tourists not to worry about it. I mean I stay all over the country I haven't got ded yet (give me time, though!).

In Chiang Mai they ended up blaming an overzealous bedbug prevention company, I think.

I wish they'd poison some singlet factories instead. Oi, me missus says no Chang singlets -- they "bad bad you" the stupid oval office.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 19, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Just read that this happened at Phi Phi Palm Springs. The last similar death on Phi Phi was also at the same resort.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

In Chiang Mai they ended up blaming an overzealous bedbug prevention company, I think.

I wish they'd poison some singlet factories instead. Oi, me missus says no Chang singlets -- they "bad bad you" the stupid oval office.
Bad you but good heart make no problem jing jing. Not same your country. Thai science different na ka. Farang lady not go tamboon.

I recall that the police kept blaming the night market and then the family blamed the bedbug chemicals. I can't recall if there was ever a resolution, but I don't think so. I did read that the former-local-political-bigwig owner was having the hotel demolished - I think he sold it or is developing something else (valuable property).

lol internet. posted:

Just read that this happened at Phi Phi Palm Springs. The last similar death on Phi Phi was also at the same resort.
Perhaps people should not stay at this hotel. Maybe we need a big red OP section? Heh.

PLACES THAT HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO KILL YOU IN THAILAND

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010
Most foreigners die in Thailand from motorbikes. So if you want to reduce your chances of "go to temple" then just don't ride a motorbike. This is especially true in Phuket.

edit: And look both ways before crossing the street and behind you on sidewalks. (very important)

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

ReindeerF posted:

PLACES THAT HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO KILL YOU IN THAILAND

There were also a spate of deaths that happened from the water heater malfunctioning and electrifying the shower water. That must really suck.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Modus Operandi posted:

There were also a spate of deaths that happened from the water heater malfunctioning and electrifying the shower water. That must really suck.
Yeah, I always check the shower in a new hotel when I get in by waving my hand quickly through the water. In my lizard brain this makes sense.

Another common thing that kills you in Thailand is meeting your future MISSUS in Pattaya. Common causes of death there include "randomly" falling from your balcony or eating "spicy" som tam (sorry, original article no longer at BKK Post site). The only reason the considerably more massive number of foreign deaths in Pattaya is not reported with as much sensationalism is because PATTAYA.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
How to be a Bangkok local: 10 tips on faking it
Hog the escalator, dress like a K-Pop star and other easy ways to look like you're a born-and-bred Bangkokian

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/life/how-be-bangkok-local-10-tips-faking-it-880230?page=0,0

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Ringo R posted:

How to be a Bangkok local: 10 tips on faking it
Hog the escalator, dress like a K-Pop star and other easy ways to look like you're a born-and-bred Bangkokian

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/life/how-be-bangkok-local-10-tips-faking-it-880230?page=0,0

The only thing in this list I didn't really agree with is the bts/mrt thing. People in Bangkok are civil about pushing and shoving. It almost never happens to me and when it does it's usually really old people who can't be bothered or little kids. Now if it's China or anywhere in the U.S. with a subway people act like twats all the time.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

today i was at the hualamphong mrt station and people were LINED UP waiting for the train. wtf.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, I always check the shower in a new hotel when I get in by waving my hand quickly through the water. In my lizard brain this makes sense.

I've never done this but I probably will now.

Also Thailand has double fees for some things.. one for foreigners and one for locals. I was technically born in Thailand as it says it on my passport, but do you need to actually live there? I could pass for a Thai perhaps, but I'm pretty bad at speaking it.

I've gone through the Thai section with a family friend once at the palace, but I've paid the foreigner fees for Baiyoke and Kick boxing.

This time around, I'd like to not pay the gouge fees and claim I'm Isaan. Any chance of pass? Will they take it as far as asking for ID? and would my passport work if they did? (not a Thai passport, but birthplace is Thailand.)

Looking forward to the SEA circuit again next year! Hopefully the weather isn't a poo poo storm.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 19, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I used to pay the Thai price by showing them an ATM card from a Thai bank that had my picture on it and smiling. I'm white as gently caress and my Thai is awful.

The only place this didn't work was Dreamworld.

Usually not paying the Thai price amounts to like an extra fifty cents. It's especially annoying that they do it at state parks so it sometimes seems government sanctioned at times but, of course, it's just petty greed going on. The same thing happens with ferry transfers from some of the more popular islands -- the Thai ferry operators charge different prices for Thais and locals for the fares and can be adamant about it. This is usually only an issue for farang divemasters or whatever living on those islands, but is still irksome. Have a Thai person buy you an extra ticket in advance if it bothers you a lot.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 20, 2012

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

My father in law gets everyone but me Thai price whenever we go places in Thailand. Go with a native speaker, keep your mouth shut and let them handle the transaction and don't dress like farang and you'll be fine.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

lol internet. posted:

I was technically born in Thailand as it says it on my passport, but do you need to actually live there? I could pass for a Thai perhaps, but I'm pretty bad at speaking it.
I'd be shocked if you couldn't get by with just walking past and mumbling whatever the minimal thing is you need to mumble, like "khon diao" or something at a ticket booth. At least one Asian friend of mine who isn't Thai can walk into the Thai line, heh.

The broader rules get murky, but if you have Permanent Residence, citizenship or a work permit they're supposed to treat you the same (the latter because you pay taxes). I used my work permit in a number of situations at national parks and such and paid the local price.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I'd be shocked if you couldn't get by with just walking past and mumbling whatever the minimal thing is you need to mumble, like "khon diao" or something at a ticket booth. At least one Asian friend of mine who isn't Thai can walk into the Thai line, heh.

The broader rules get murky, but if you have Permanent Residence, citizenship or a work permit they're supposed to treat you the same (the latter because you pay taxes). I used my work permit in a number of situations at national parks and such and paid the local price.

Yeah, my Japanese classmates told me they could get away with that, and you look more Thai than they do. Probably better to let the missus do the talking if it doesn't look too suspicious though, your Canadian accent is kind of a giveaway ;)

I didn't do a ton of traveling during my study program (was busy), but as a whitey-white, I was almost always able to get the Thai price by showing my Thai university ID (literally an ID-sized piece of paper with some Thai writing on it, no photo) and asking politely if there was a student price. There wasn't, but it gave them an excuse to give me the Thai price for asking so nicely and in Thai. The one time it didn't work was the Death Railway train.

I did try to get my younger sister (also still a student at the time) a similar discount when we went to the Grand Palace and the ticket guy literally sang "ONLY FOR YOUUUUUUUUU" and she had to pay the tourist price.

lol internet. posted:

MR RHOMBUS MINGSK MAN. BKK in 2013 April\May.

I gotta teach then, jerkface!

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 20, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pompous Rhombus posted:

as a whitey-white
Confirm!

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Who has info on learning Vietnamese? Just need enough to buy things in my factory area of Korea. Maybe some simple "conversation". Pronunciation is throwing me for a loop.

Also, I am another one of the K goons coming down in August. I have no idea where yet, might have to come out of lurking. Did Siem Reap in the winter and I am pretty over it, maybe that is still my gut talking.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Pimsleur course is good and easy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

Who has info on learning Vietnamese? Just need enough to buy things in my factory area of Korea. Maybe some simple "conversation". Pronunciation is throwing me for a loop.
Wave money around, that's Vietnamese.

DontAskKant posted:

Also, I am another one of the K goons coming down in August. I have no idea where yet, might have to come out of lurking. Did Siem Reap in the winter and I am pretty over it, maybe that is still my gut talking.
I know your plight from the Korea thread. Rape Siam is the most Korean city in SE Asia. You'll have an infinitely better time elsewhere (though SR is fun and Angkor is amazing). I'd recommend Thailand or Laos (or Indonesia, etc). Drop in here for advice, most of us are still around for a beer!

\/\/\/ See, you lucky fuckers who get to learn a language with a romanized alphabet - NO FAIR.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 21, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

DontAskKant posted:

I've been learning Vietnamese for more than a year and let me tell you, all audio books or package solutions like Pimsleur or Rosetta are bullshit in regards to pronunciation or common usage (ex. using Tôi all the time when locals pretty much never use it).

If you just want to be able to say "how much" (bao nhiêu), "too expensive" (mặc quá) and not much more than that then yes, get Pimsleur. If you're really interested, pay a Vietnamese to teach you directly, it's the best way.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Senso posted:

I've been learning Vietnamese for more than a year and let me tell you, all audio books or package solutions like Pimsleur or Rosetta are bullshit in regards to pronunciation or common usage (ex. using Tôi all the time when locals pretty much never use it).

If you just want to be able to say "how much" (bao nhiêu), "too expensive" (mặc quá) and not much more than that then yes, get Pimsleur. If you're really interested, pay a Vietnamese to teach you directly, it's the best way.

Yeah, I've found the Pimsleur courses to be incredibly stiff, textbook language. You can probably be understood, but understanding actual people... not so much. "Sabaii dii mai kha?" "sabaii dii khrap, laew khun lae khrap? Noooope.

I actually found what seemed to be a pretty good Vietnamese textbook at a bookstore in Hanoi that I bought the first volume of. I found it on Amazon, although it looks like it may be out of print or something. You could also try the "Vietnamese for Beginners" book from the same series as the other "[Southeast Asian Language] for Beginners" series, the Thai ones are pretty good, at least.

It's been forever since someone mistook me for a halfling :colbert:

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Modus Operandi posted:

If you made a SEA thread that'd be great.

I'd also post in this. I like in Bangkok and used to live in 'Nam. I keep forgetting to drop in on this thread.

ThaiVisa.com is the worst. That is all.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

"[Southeast Asian Language] for Beginners" series, the Thai ones are pretty good, at least.

This is the one my (native speaking) in-laws got for the kids, so there's another vote for at least the Thai version.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Really just want to learn a little and not sound completely wrong to be able to speak a little at the Vietnamese restaurants.

Reindeer, so what would you suggest as your favorite places if you had 10 days? I planned on spending 5 days in Hong Kong to do research for new places to move to.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

DontAskKant posted:

Reindeer, so what would you suggest as your favorite places if you had 10 days? I planned on spending 5 days in Hong Kong to do research for new places to move to.
I love Hong Kong. I don't think I'd want to live there, not Bohemian enough, but it's my favorite civilization getaway now. Try Blue Smoke BBQ while you're there, it's awesome.

On the topic of where to go for 10 days here in Southeast Asia (Mekong Edition) my tastes probably don't match one for one? I think if I had a friend coming in for the first time or something and they wanted a relaxing vacation I'd probably drag them down and do Koh Phangan and then Koh Tao, with a night on Samui or something. Yeah, it's touristy, but it's also still accessible and the three islands provide a pretty interesting set of differing experiences (Tao I have to take on reputation, haven't been yet). Also, Korea flies direct, so that's a plus.

If I were designing my own vacation, I'd probably hit Burma to see it before it goes completely mainstream. Flights to Yangon are cheap, you can get an eVisa now and while hotel prices are going through the roof in Yangon with all the potential investors flooding in, I think the rest of the country's still more untouched.

I have to hit up Nakhon Phanom in August for a social event I'm helping out with, so in reality my current itinerary is Phnom Penh in early July (business & pleasure) and Nakhon Phanom (TH)/Mudhakan (TH)/Savannaket (LA) in early August (never been to any of them). I just did Chantaburi (TH) - Baan Prakard (TH) - Pailin - (KH)- Battambang (KH) and I enjoyed spending time in these out of the way cities, so if you're looking for something like that there are tons of options in the region.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 21, 2012

i see things
Dec 26, 2008
Can someone recommend a good online resource for learning Thai?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

i see things posted:

Can someone recommend a good online resource for learning Thai?

I don't know if there is one, I mean, this is probably Thailand's number one website and look at. Just look at this shameful rear end website:

http://www.kapook.com/

Edit: Nevermind, I checked Alexa and it's Sanook.com.

Look at how much better it's designed!:

http://www.sanook.com/

Thai peepun :argh:

raton fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 21, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Just make a fake Skype account with Bangkok as the location and make it public, you'll immediately start getting added as a contact by all kinds of crazy Thai women and ladyboys who will be happy to practice Thai with you (not joking). Of course you'll sound like a katoey bargirl, but that's entertaining for the rest of us!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

it's my favorite civilization getaway now

Bangkok is my favorite civilization getaway. Whenever I go there now, I go shopping; get my electronics fixed (dude on Koh Tao wanted 3500 baht to fix something in two weeks that I paid 2500 baht and waited 30 minutes for in Bangkok); watch a movie or two, preferably in 3D or in one of them fancy theaters that turn the air con so cold that they also give you blankets; and eat fast food like I'm a lower middle class American (i.e. a lot).

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
I've been considering teaching English as a foreign language abroad once I graduate college. I'm looking at East Asia mostly, but I've been more drawn to Indochina - I heard that the people are more friendlier and open than up north. What are the main reasons why I should consider Indochina area over China, Taiwan, or the north?

And between the Indochinese/South China Sea countries, which would be the wiser choice to teach English and why?

I'm currently leaning towards Vietnam.

EDIT- WHOOPS, only just saw the TEFL thread below. I apologize, but hearing your opinions if you have any is still appreciated.

Gumog fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 22, 2012

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

lol @ Vietnam as a Southeast Asian country with friendly people

eviljelly fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 22, 2012

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
No it's true, most Vietnamese are friendly. I've been here for a year now and I most people are really friendly. Even the touts are not as aggressive as I've seen in Cambodia, every experience vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Gumog posted:

I've been considering teaching English as a foreign language abroad once I graduate college. I'm looking at East Asia mostly, but I've been more drawn to Indochina - I heard that the people are more friendlier and open than up north. What are the main reasons why I should consider Indochina area over China, Taiwan, or the north?

And between the Indochinese/South China Sea countries, which would be the wiser choice to teach English and why?

I'm currently leaning towards Vietnam.

EDIT- WHOOPS, only just saw the TEFL thread below. I apologize, but hearing your opinions if you have any is still appreciated.
It's tough to stereotype a whole country, but- okay who am I kidding? American are fat, the French chain smoke like Turks and so it goes with Asians as well. If anything, most Asian countries make stereotyping even easier because of the ethnic nationalism. In other words, an American might be black, white, hispanic, asian, native american - you name it. He or she might come from Irish ancestry, Chinese ancestry, Turkish ancestry, African ancestry or he or she might not know their ancestry due to slavery. In most of Asia - and this gets much truer as you head North - the vast, vast majority of the country is ethnically and culturally homogenous by any comparative measure (yeah they'll talk a good game about some regional ethnic minorities, but it's window dressing comparatively).

So, with that caveat, yes, most Southeast Asian countries are warmer, more open, friendlier and more laid back than their (North-) East Asian counterparts. The stereotype runs on to other behaviors you'd expect as well. Southeast Asian countries are also political basket cases more often, the infrastructure is usually similarly ridiculous, things don't happen on time and so on. This does not apply universally (hello Singapore), even within countries, but it's a general stereotype that's true. Guns, Germs & Steel, basically. Down here, fruit just falls off the tree in front of you and it's warm and humid every day, with beautiful beaches and mountains and so on - who needs to work hard? Pfft. There's a very famous old Thai saying - I think it was Rama V who uttered it, but I can't recall - that goes basically "Nai naam mii plaa, nai naa mii khao" and translates to "There's fish in the river and rice in the fields" which was uttered supposedly as a way of saying, "It's all good here, we can eat." That saying sums up the Thai attitude toward the abundance they enjoy due to their location and the Earth here and what not. I can't speak as well for the other countries - and some are luckier than others - but at least in Thailand, Laos and Cambodia (which all share a VERY common history) you'll find a pretty consistent mix of whimsical charm, lackadaisical work ethic, friendly demeanor and so on.

Things get a little weirder in what is modern-day Vietnam, since the Southern part of Vietnam used to be a separate country, basically, that was historically more like Cambodia and Laos. As well, religious & colonial issues in places like Malaysia or The Philippines have rendered them quite a bit different from the Buddhist heartland here. That's not to say they're bad places, and Filipinos are really open and fun (get out of Manila), but there's a level of open violence (and horrible food) there that's unprecedented in the rest of Southeast Asia. I'm rambling now, you get the idea. I guess you asked about Indochina (The Greater Mekong Region is the new polite term to avoid colonial overtones, but I don't give a poo poo, heh).

Here's another stereotype: unless you end up at a decent university or a good international school you'll be making poo poo in Southeast Asia compared to North Asia. Welcome to the typical teacher's dilemma - enjoy life more and make nothing or enjoy life less and make a middle class wage.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 22, 2012