Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

...the Mazda 2 and 3 are among some of the best-handling cars you can get for reasonable money.

Definitely. I got a 3 after my '99 Civic Si was stolen. Honestly, I don't miss the Civic now, I love the 3 that much. I've read that the 2's handling is like throwing a 4th generation Civic Si around, if that's true, I'd consider it my next car.

It might be in the same class as the Civic and the Corolla, but the 3 is heaps more fun to drive and (in my opinion) quite a bit more refined. Speaking of which, anyone know how well the 3s with the SKYACTIV holds up to the ones with the 2.3/2.5L engines? I know they won't have as much pickup, but are they still fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argenteus
Mar 31, 2011

BabyMauler posted:

Was specing out a Sonic and stumbled onto this video of the new Impala. Handsome rear end car it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnFO9oSYFb8

I like how every time they show the driver he's more fixated on the the nav screen than on the road. :v:

Agro ver Haus doom
Jul 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pseudonym posted:

Definitely. I got a 3 after my '99 Civic Si was stolen. Honestly, I don't miss the Civic now, I love the 3 that much. I've read that the 2's handling is like throwing a 4th generation Civic Si around, if that's true, I'd consider it my next car.

It might be in the same class as the Civic and the Corolla, but the 3 is heaps more fun to drive and (in my opinion) quite a bit more refined. Speaking of which, anyone know how well the 3s with the SKYACTIV holds up to the ones with the 2.3/2.5L engines? I know they won't have as much pickup, but are they still fun?

Yeah... my sister has a 3 and it's fun as hell to drive. I call it the "Zippy Car."

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Pseudonym posted:

I have a Skyactiv 3 and I'd describe its acceleration as "incredibly adequate". The throttle response in the auto transmission can be a big laggy since it's designed for fuel efficiency, but I'll bet the manual transmission would qualify as "fun".

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Tacier posted:

I have a Skyactiv 3 and I'd describe its acceleration as "incredibly adequate". The throttle response in the auto transmission can be a big laggy since it's designed for fuel efficiency, but I'll bet the manual transmission would qualify as "fun".

Uh, the 2.5L 3 was never very peppy. The Skyactive 3 and old 2.5L 3 have very similar power and torque figures.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sigma X posted:

Uh, the 2.5L 3 was never very peppy. The Skyactive 3 and old 2.5L 3 have very similar power and torque figures.

The 2.5 is still quite a lot quicker - although it produces peak torque later it still has more early on in the rev range than the 2l

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Argenteus posted:

I like how every time they show the driver he's more fixated on the the nav screen than on the road. :v:

Yeah it all looks good except for the enormously intrusive looking center console. I'm assuming it's that giant and bulky purely so that the touchscreen is easier to reach, right? gently caress touchscreens forever.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
From the mustang thread:
http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/camaro/2012/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-comparison-test.html

This seems to match from GM that the ZL1 would be faster "around the track."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They didn't drive it around a track? The one timed test they did the Mustang was faster. They just said that the Camero's suspension is more compliant which is you would expect. Live axles do pretty well on tracks, where there are no bumps or potholes, and the Mustang is lighter and more powerful.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Throatwarbler posted:

on tracks, where there are no bumps or potholes

Why, that's a mighty big caveat that you're holding there

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I bet a very skilled driver like Randy Pobst will be able get faster times out of the GT500, but bit sure about regular auto journos. Can't wait for more comparisons to roll in.

assfucker420
May 14, 2012

by T. Mascis

Admirable Gusto posted:

Why, that's a mighty big caveat that you're holding there

Don't drink the Ford kool-aid. The clearly superior GM would win in all oth-*shits pants*

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

I've never read a review that lists lack of IRS on the Cruze as a negative. It drives just as well or better as a Civic or Focus. If that's what's holding you back then you probably were never going to buy a Cruze anyway. Maybe the new Dodge Dart, which can be had with a 1.4t(with more power than the Cruze), manual, and IRS is more your thing.

Most Cruze do have IRS, though.

1.8 + any trans: IRS
1.4t + auto: IRS
1.4t + manual: Torsion Beam

As far as why it was important to me: ride comfort, weight distribution, and the goddamnit WHY factor.

edit: Well, it's only on the LT and LTZ models for the 1.8 apparently.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 17, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I doubt that if you put someone in two identical Cruze, one with IRS and one with a torsion beam, that you'd be able to tell the difference.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I doubt that if you put someone in two identical Cruze, one with IRS and one with a torsion beam, that you'd be able to tell the difference.

Especially if they're a Cruze buyer (it's an upmarket Corolla, not a downmarket GTI.)

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I noticed, but I went out of my way to pick a test drive route that had rough surfaces. Even then it was likely confirmation bias. I'm sure that every car with IRS is purely for marketing purposes, and it had no technical merits.

Anyhow the gripe was about silly packaging. Like how you can't get a gen coupe with an lsd, but without a sunroof.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm always willing to stick up for torsion beams. They're simple, light, and a well-designed one is like having trailing arm IRS with an integrated anti-roll bar.

You can't automatically say IRS is better. It has the potential to be better if it's well designed, but it's not a guarantee or anything.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Right, it's not automatically better, but it's also not guaranteed to be completely identical to the point where nobody could tell the difference.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New Opel Astra (Buick Verano).

1.4l turbo engine now has "overboost" feature. 2.0l turbo engine with 280hp and 2.0l sequential twin turbo diesel availible.

quote:

The new Opel Astra line-up: More variety, engines and high-tech features

New powerful engines: 195 hp 2.0 BiTurbo CDTI and 280 hp 2.0 gasoline turbo unit
Full spectrum: from 99g/km CO2 ecoFLEX to high performance OPC version
New assistance systems extend broad offer of innovative technology
Sharper design underscores sporty style and high technical standards
New sedan completes Astra line-u

Rüsselsheim. With its new sedan variant, new state-of-the-art powerhouse engines and assistance systems plus fresh design, Opel is enhancing its successful, award-winning compact bestseller and is making the new Astra line-up even more sporty and and diverse. A sharper exterior and interior appearance underscores the sportiness and technical strengths of the compact car line. With the new sedan, the five-door variant, the Sports Tourer station wagon and the three-door GTC coupé as well as its high performance OPC version, the diverse Astra line-up is now complete.

The Opel CEO, Karl-Friedrich Stracke: “The new Opel Astra line-up is off to a flying start. We are expanding our model spectrum as well as the offer of highly efficient engines and innovative assistance technologies. The design has been further updated and sharpened. In that sense, we are offering the most emotional execution of German engineering in the hotly contested compact segment.”

This claim is supported by new state-of-the art engines that as of now and during the next six months will expand the already diverse performance spectrum of the Astra powertrain offer. The new Astra OPC which can already be ordered with its 2.0 turbocharged direct injection gasoline engine promises lots of fun behind the wheel. With an output of 206 kW/280 hp and maximum torque of 400 Newtonmeters, the Astra OPC is not only the most powerful Astra ever but also the fastest: the top speed of this powerhouse coupé is 250 km/h and it can sprint from standstill to 100 km/h in just 6.0 seconds.

The fastest diesel Astra ever can be ordered starting in the fall: The new 2.0 BiTurbo CDTI with 143 kW/195 hp output and an impressive 400 Nm of torque is already known from the Insignia, but now for the first time introduces the sophisticated sequential BiTurbo engine technology to the mass production compact segment. Powered by two turbochargers that work together, this engine enables excellent performance combined with low fuel consumption in the Astra five-door, the Sports Tourer and the GTC. These three different body styles provide a choice of a high performance diesel models that is unparalleled in the compact segment.

Opel can also announce enhancements to its already existing 1.4 liter turbocharged gasoline unit with 103 kW/140 hp. This engine is now equipped with an overboost function that temporarily gives the vehicle an extra 10 percent burst of torque from 200 to 220 Nm which is very useful when overtaking for example.

Full spectrum – from 99 g/km CO2 ecoFLEX to high performance OPC variant

On the powertrain side, the new Astra line-up is able to satisfy an extraordinary array of customer wishes, from the most fuel efficient Astra ever, the 1.7 CDTI ecoFLEX (81 kW/110 hp and 96 kW/130 hp) with only 99 g/km CO2 (3.7 l/100 km) to the strongest diesel-powered Astra with its new 195 hp BiTurbo CDTI engine and the most powerful Astra in history, the new Astra OPC with 280 hp. Not forgetting the recent launch of the 1.4 turbocharged LPG versions (103 kW/140 hp) at the start of 2012, the powertrain offer of the Astra line-up is one of the most diverse in the compact segment. Furthermore, early next year the range will benefit from the introduction of the new SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) ECOTEC gasoline engine generation with a 1.6 liter displacement and turbocharging, providing not just ultra-efficient fuel consumption but also a very comfortable drive in the upper output level of up to 200 hp.

New assistance systems expand broad offer of innovative technologies

Further highlights which help to elevate the technical standards to an even more advanced level are also to be found in the field of driver assistance systems. Many premium technologies that have had their debut in the Insignia and the Zafira Tourer are now also available for the new Astra line-up for even more safety and comfort. These include the second generation Opel Eye front camera with the enhanced traffic sign assistant (TSA II), lane departure warning (LDW), following distance indication (FDI) and forward collision alert (FCA). These systems issue warnings to help prevent critical situations for example when the driver is distracted or loses concentration.

Other assistance systems include the rear view camera, advanced park assist that identifies spaces and aids with parking, as well as a side blind spot alert and a radar-based adaptive cruise control (ACC) with automatic collision imminent braking (CIB) which works in the range of 50 km/h to 180 km/h. The ACC helps the driver maintain the selected speed by automatically accelerating or decelerating while keeping a pre-set safety distance to the vehicle ahead.

The new systems complement the already existing broad Astra offer of innovative technologies, some of which are unique in the compact segment, while others are rarely found among competitors. These include the latest generation of intelligent adaptive forward lighting (AFL+) with bi-xenon headlamps and a host of sophisticated lighting functions, including high beam assist, dynamic curve light, cornering light, and variable light distribution that automatically adjusts according to prevailing conditions, including even the weather.

FlexRide for best possible ride and handling, HiPerStruts in all Astra GTC and OPC

On top of the already dynamic driving characteristics of the Astra, customers can opt for Opel’s intelligent mechatronic FlexRide system which adjusts automatically to the prevailing driving conditions and offers three modes: Standard, the comfort-oriented “Tour” mode and the more active “Sport” mode.

For sportier ride and handling, the Astra GTC and OPC models feature HiPerStruts (High Performance Struts) on the front wheel suspensions. The HiPerStruts improve grip, increase cornering power and significantly reduce torque steer allowing drivers to get the most out of the Astra’s performance.

For added comfort, ergonomic seats are offered in all Astra models. The AGR certified seats (Aktion Gesunder Rücken e.V) are easy on the backs of the driver and front passenger.

The FlexFix bicycle carrier system which is exclusive to Opel is fully integrated in the rear bumper where it disappears like a drawer when not in use. The clever onboard system of the latest generation allows the Astra Sports Tourer to transport up to four bikes at a time. The five-door version can take up to two-bikes.

The Panoramic windscreen invented and patented by Opel reaches all the way to the middle of the car roof and thus gives the driver and all passengers in the Astra GTC and OPC models an extraordinary visual, space and driving experience. In contrast to other glass roof solutions, there is no transverse spar that reduces visibility.

Fresh Astra design with more sporty and upmarket accents

The Astra five-door and the Sports Tourer have been given a fresh face that is even more, sporty and upmarket than before. This also applies to the new four-door Astra sedan. The Opel design team concentrated on the front by giving it a more pronounced lower grille inspired by the design of the recently launched Astra GTC, featuring a grille mesh with a more technically precise design. The upper grill of the five-door, Sports Tourer and the four-door sedan has been given a more prominent wing-like chrome bar with three-dimensional visual depth to it. The new chrome bar has turned up tips, is more centered and appears to be floating in the grille. By adding black inserts to the headlamps, the entry level “Essentia” and the “Enjoy” trim levels have been given a more sporty design execution of the lights. LED daytime running lights are now also available with standard halogen headlamps.

At the rear, the license plate pocket of the Astra five-door has been sculpted in a new way creating more visual width. In both the five-door and the Sports Tourer, there is a new chrome strip in the bumper just below the license plate pocket that also adds to the impression of width.

The new BiTurbo high performance diesel variants of the five-door, Sports Tourer and GTC have been given an even sportier and sharper exterior appearance which varies from model to model. The front fascia of the BiTurbo Astra body versions (GTC, Sports Tourer and 5-door) underscore the cars’ high performance and more aggressive nature. The upper grille has a similar shape as the one used on the Astra GTC, however the front bar is always in body color and the five-door sedan and Sports Tourer BiTurbo models feature the new wing-shaped bar across the grille. The lower air intake area has also been given a sporty design treatment: the area where the central grille merges into the outer grille has been sculpted in a shark-fin like shape, making the car appear more aggressive than a conventional Astra. The side window surround has chrome inserts. At the rear, two exhaust tail pipes and a more prominent rear bumper shape, give the car an added muscular stance.

Inside the cabin, the Astra five-door, the Sports Tourer and the four-door sedan have been made sportier, more lively and varied by using new fabrics, colors, décor moldings with new glossy paint. In the case of the BiTurbo models, JetBlack colored fabrics or leather are combined with Magic Red in the edge of the seats. Magic red stitching and seams in the seats, door inserts and the gear shifter boot add to the sporty atmosphere of the interior. A new flat bottom leather steering wheel and special floor mats with red surrounds are other sporty components of the BiTurbo cabin.

Astra customers can now also benefit from new wheel designs. New 17” alloy wheels come as standard in the Sport trim level and there are two new optional 18” and 19” alloy wheels, both with a 5-double spoke stylish design. In addition, a new sporty multi-spoke wheel alloy-style cover makes its debut in the Astra.

Astra continues Opel’s compact success story

With the greatly enhanced new Astra line-up Opel is building on the success of its bestselling compact car that won numerous awards including the prestigious German Golden Steering Wheel (2009) and was recently recognized with the best rating in the 2012 DEKRA used car quality report.

The Astra model family is a key component of the brand. Around a third of all Opel cars sold are Astras. Opel is now into its tenth generation of vehicles in the compact segment and its fourth Astra generation which has gained more than 641,000 customers across Europe. Thanks to its five-door Astra launched in the fall of 2009, followed by the Sports Tourer a year later and the three-door GTC Coupé (late 2011). This means that the Astra is the European number three (Germany: number two) in the sales ranking in the largest vehicle segment in Europe which makes up around a quarter of the entire marketplace.

Prices for the new Opel Astra line-up start at 16,770 euro (recommended retail price in Germany including VAT) for the five-door, 1.4 liter gasoline 64 kW/87 hp Astra entry level “Essentia” version. The new four-door Astra sedan with a 1.4 liter gasoline engine 74 kW/100 hp can be ordered from 18,270 euro (same conditions as above).

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I like the Civic liftbacks in the background :v:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Give me the tl;dr version. Is that wagon version coming to America? I will be pissed either way.

Edit: vv someday my prince will come.

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 19, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

davebo posted:

Give me the tl;dr version. Is that wagon version coming to America? I will be pissed either way.

You're so cute when you're being naïve like that :bigtran:

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Is the Astra not an astonishingly boring econobox anymore?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Didn't see this mentioned here, but the Veloster Turbo configurator has been released. $22,725 (includes a $750 destination charge) with the only optional extra being a sunroof/nav package for 2,500. (Extra for the matte grey or white exterior)

Fully loaded you're looking at 25,000-26,000. :stare: Getting into GTI territory there.

I'm not sure how I feel about the design, but I'll definitely look at it along with its other hot hatch brethren.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 19, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sanchez posted:

Is the Astra not an astonishingly boring econobox anymore?

I've only heard good stuff about the Astra J.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Didn't see this mentioned here, but the Veloster Turbo configurator has been released. $22,725 (includes a $750 destination charge) with the only optional extra being a sunroof/nav package for 2,500. (Extra for the matte grey or white exterior)

Fully loaded you're looking at 25,000-26,000. :stare: Getting into GTI territory there.

I'm not sure how I feel about the design, but I'll definitely look at it along with its other hot hatch brethren.

If it looks like the regular Veloster, then it's not my cup of tea. I always thought they looked alright in pictures and video until I actually saw one in person. Talk about ugly.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

PT6A posted:

If it looks like the regular Veloster, then it's not my cup of tea. I always thought they looked alright in pictures and video until I actually saw one in person. Talk about ugly.

There's a bunch of pictures of it on the Hyundai website, but its essentially the same with a new "more aggressive" grille and a dual exhaust. :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah, really not sure why you don't shell out the roughly 2,000 bucks for the GTI 2 door. I guess that's like 9% of total acquisition but at the same time, the GTI is a lot nicer inside and is a little more "adult"

edit: them wheels :catdrugs: I applaud the bold attempt at styling but drat yo that thing is uggo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 19, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Some people like tiny cars, and the GTI isn't really tiny any more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Some people like tiny cars, and the GTI isn't really tiny any more.

They're almost exactly the same OAL, with the Veloster actually being six tenths longer.

edit: I saw a Veloster in Montreal recently and was astonished at how loving large the car was.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 20, 2012

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They're almost exactly the same OAL, with the Veloster actually being six tenths longer.

edit: I saw a Veloster in Montreal recently and was astonished at how loving large the car was.

Yeah, I see a couple of them rolling around the DC area and they're hardly small. That third door weirds me out though. I don't know. I'm pretty much cross-shopping it just to see if Hyundai has improved as much as been reported. I'll probably end up in a C30 R-design. :swoon:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Have you driven one with the Polestar tweaks?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Bovril Delight posted:

Have you driven one with the Polestar tweaks?

I haven't, but its my understanding that its just an ECU flash? I tested an R two weeks ago and loved it. Felt very responsive and had good handling. It felt a bit sluggish compared to the GTI, but I liked the interior and lay out a lot more. If I do go with the C30, I'll definitely be getting the polestar flash. Keeping the manufacturer warranty is a big plus.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 20, 2012

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Not sure how news worth this is. This trailer showed up on Autoblog and really sparked something inside me. I love station wagons.

http://vimeo.com/35220096

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Isn't "GTI Territory" exactly the market segment that Hyundai is trying to break into? The only turbo-4 hatches at that price point are the GTI and MCS. Both those cars are perfectly good and capable in their own way, but there isn't really much competition considering that type of vehicle seems to be more "in" these days than say, 10 years ago.

That said, I don't think the Velostar Turbo is appallingly ugly, just dramatic and aggressive-looking in a way that sets it apart from most other new cars. It's polarizing. They could've just as easily stayed in the mild design language of their mainstays, the Sonatas and Genesises, but I like that they went for something more likely to catch your eye on the street. I saw a yellow Velostar out the other day, and by comparison the MkV GTI looks fairly unassuming and generic.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
So the new Dodge Dart started rolling out to dealerships yesterday. I'm pretty opposed to the car in general, as it's your run-of-the-mill "car by manufacturer" relying on a legacy of a famous name. And it can come in Laguna Blue.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Devyl posted:

So the new Dodge Dart started rolling out to dealerships yesterday. I'm pretty opposed to the car in general, as it's your run-of-the-mill "car by manufacturer" relying on a legacy of a famous name. And it can come in Laguna Blue.

It really ought to be a hatchback, demographics and market preferences be damned.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
The Dart seems like a respectable sub-20k offering. It is at least a significant improvement from Dodge's recent attempts in the segment. I think it can get a tad bit expensive with options, but other than that, I can't seem to find any other faults with it.

The dealership that I drive past to from work has one on their lots, maybe I'll stop by and see what it is like.

Edit: I thought hatches were exceedingly popular in this segment; nearly every offering in it is available as one.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 21, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
It would be nice if all these sporty cheap little economy cars were actually sporty. Instead of throwing a body kit on an elentra and calling it a day.

Is the new Dart a neon with a body kit, or is there more to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benjamin Disraeli
Oct 19, 2005

Let's have some fun
This beat is sick
Let's play a Love game!

Devyl posted:

When it saw it at the Chicago Auto Show a few months ago I was surprised at how lovely it was in regards to build quality, especially when the other american manufacturers (Ford especially) seem to have upped their quality quite a bit. The insides of this thing felt really plastic-y and seemed as if they would fall apart if you looked at them wrong. For a domestic car in this segment a Fiesta or Focus seems like a much better way to go; the build quality isn't even comparable to this poo poo heap. Also they come in hatchback form.