Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

myron cope posted:

From the NRA thing before,
:wtc:

You can't buy it or make it but you can have it? How are you supposed to have it if you didn't buy it or make it?

That probably exists to protect against ex post facto prosecution, I'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

darthbob88 posted:

I've got an idea for a reality show about some Libtard or conservative who has to live on welfare/the streets long enough to either show that welfare queens aren't really a thing, or to bootstrap their way into making 30K a year from nothing. Could never be done, between the impracticalities of filming a "homeless person", and the fact that an actual temporarily embarrassed millionaire would have a head start compared to an actual lower-class individual, but it's an interesting idea.

This probably isn't quite the right thread for it, but as long as we're talking horrible reality TV shows....

God do I hate Undercover Boss. If you're not familiar, the show takes one (usually white, usually male, usually with a good bootstraps story where they repeatedly thank their religion (usually protestant) for what they've earned) executive and has them go "undercover" in their own company, working alongside the lower class people who have the poo poo jobs. The boss will be exposed to gross, systemic injustices, like working mothers unable to spend time with their children or pay for their lunches while at the same time working 40+ hours a week at multiple jobs. The boss will then out themselves in a tearful confrontation that always works out the same way:

Boss: Here's a promotion and $50,000 I found under the seat of my Porsche so your kid can go to college.
Worker: Oh thank you for solving all the problems!
Boss: No problem. Now, back to my mansion with a newfound appreciation of the people who work for me, where I'll enjoy the publicity the show got me and fix none of the systemic issues that were exposed.

To add insult to injury in all this, the show premiered right after the financial collapse, when anger at high level executives with their "golden parachutes" was at an all time high. If there's a more obvious, ridiculous example of the 1% running propaganda to show how benevolent they are even while they destroy the mechanisms that may actually help people, I can't think of it. If there's any sort of societal restructuring as a result of the meltdown of the financial system (and that's a big "if") future people are going to look back on this show with absolute disgust.

I hate it all the more because that last paragraph sounds completely :tinfoil:.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Knowing the way 'reality' tv tends to go, it's probably even worse than it appears

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Boxman posted:

Undercover Boss stuff

The couple of times I've seen this show made me very uncomfortable. It made me daydream about being the CEO of one of these multimillion-dollar companies and actually changing the broken things that I saw in a meaningful way (haha shareholders wouldn't allow for any real change if it impacted the bottom line at all).

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Unzip and Attack posted:

Do you guys have a good link for this? I'd like to read/share it.

Read "Nickeled and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich instead.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Boxman posted:

This probably isn't quite the right thread for it, but as long as we're talking horrible reality TV shows....

If there's a more obvious, ridiculous example of the 1% running propaganda to show how benevolent they are even while they destroy the mechanisms that may actually help people, I can't think of it. If there's any sort of societal restructuring as a result of the meltdown of the financial system (and that's a big "if") future people are going to look back on this show with absolute disgust.

As a matter of fact, there is a more obvious piece of propaganda, Secret Millionaire. A millionaire has to live in a low-income community for a week or so, making their way with none of the usual luxury, and seeing just how the little people really live, before outing themselves and doling out cash to worthy recipients. To make it more obvious just how propagandic this is, S3E1 in Britain starred a dude who'd made his bank investing in subprime markets and being a bastard at work.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
This just got posted from a dude I hung out with in high school:

quote:

Just realized that @KarlRove follows me. Honored to be among the 152,000.

He's one of those dudes that's super into christianity, his dad was a multi-millionaire and he inherited the family business and now has tons of money just by not loving up his dad's accomplishments. He thinks he's the hardest worker alive and is just a general douche. To paraphrase something I heard somewhere on the forums, he started on 3rd base but thinks he hit a triple.

Also hates poor people, especially those that work for him.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Boxman posted:

God do I hate Undercover Boss. If you're not familiar, the show takes one (usually white, usually male, usually with a good bootstraps story where they repeatedly thank their religion (usually protestant) for what they've earned) executive and has them go "undercover" in their own company, working alongside the lower class people who have the poo poo jobs. The boss will be exposed to gross, systemic injustices, like working mothers unable to spend time with their children or pay for their lunches while at the same time working 40+ hours a week at multiple jobs. The boss will then out themselves in a tearful confrontation that always works out the same way:

Boss: Here's a promotion and $50,000 I found under the seat of my Porsche so your kid can go to college.
Worker: Oh thank you for solving all the problems!
Boss: No problem. Now, back to my mansion with a newfound appreciation of the people who work for me, where I'll enjoy the publicity the show got me and fix none of the systemic issues that were exposed.

To add insult to injury in all this, the show premiered right after the financial collapse, when anger at high level executives with their "golden parachutes" was at an all time high. If there's a more obvious, ridiculous example of the 1% running propaganda to show how benevolent they are even while they destroy the mechanisms that may actually help people, I can't think of it. If there's any sort of societal restructuring as a result of the meltdown of the financial system (and that's a big "if") future people are going to look back on this show with absolute disgust.

I never saw the show but I remember the commercials, again, right after the collapse. It really sounded like blatant propaganda, and my eyes nearly rolled out of my head. It's not tinfoil if it is that blatant.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea it's entirely 'woah, under class, you're mad about exploitation? Well what if we gave you a VACAAAAAATION?! (come right back to work at the same exploitative conditions)'. No tinfoil there it's just raw propaganda.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

White people getting mad at a new 'white guilt' vide

http://youtu.be/Do_w2V0-3D0

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

AE-35 Unit posted:

The couple of times I've seen this show made me very uncomfortable. It made me daydream about being the CEO of one of these multimillion-dollar companies and actually changing the broken things that I saw in a meaningful way (haha shareholders wouldn't allow for any real change if it impacted the bottom line at all).

Yeah, I've watched it a few times, mostly about companies I'm interested in, and all it does is take a handful of employees and gloss over their complaints and hand them some cash money as some pseudo mea culpa. I can't quite put my finger on the sensation I feel, but it seems really sinister and awful.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Top comment on that video is obviously white supremacist and pro-segregation. The video has also been downvoted tremendously. I'm hurting inside D:

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

pillsburysoldier posted:

In a more fair world, over 90% of the people in the comment section would be on some kind of watch list.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

xwonderboyx posted:

he started on 3rd base but thinks he hit a triple.

This is great, I'll have to try to remember that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Are there so many horrible comments/downvotes because that video get posted on Freep or something? I really hope so :(

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Loving Life Partner posted:

Yeah, I've watched it a few times, mostly about companies I'm interested in, and all it does is take a handful of employees and gloss over their complaints and hand them some cash money as some pseudo mea culpa. I can't quite put my finger on the sensation I feel, but it seems really sinister and awful.

It reminds me of how conservatives keep touting charity as an acceptable alternative to government programs for the poor and suffering. Charity is obviously insufficient for fixing systemic problems, incapable of solving problems on a large scale (i.e. economies of scale favor a single massive organization like the federal government instead of thousands of disparate charities), and likely to suffer and/or die out in cyclical downturns when charity would be most needed. People will contribute less during recessions and depressions, leaving charities with less money to work with even though more people would need help during a recession or depression than during a boom, whereas the federal government can provide counter-cyclical fiscal spending and programs to compensate.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Holy gently caress me, criticizing racism must be the mating call of racists.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Anubis posted:

In a more fair world, over 90% of the people in the comment section would be on some kind of watch list.

They are on a watch list. Obummer keeps his Black Kenyan Mafia watching them, making their lives harder while giving those ni- leeches a hand up. Reverse Racism :qq:

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
This makes it much more pleasant to view content on youtube. Now you only have to look at really bigoted comments if you consciously decide to do so.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 21, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pillsburysoldier posted:

I like the video, and wish the commenters all died in a fire.

"Anti-racism is a code word for anti-white." :suicide:

EDIT: on the bright side it's like a honey pot for racists?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Reading those comments makes me want to be Anti-White.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reading those comments makes me want to be Anti-White.

I don't know about you, but I'm adopting so I don't perpetuate the race.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Anubis posted:

I don't know about you, but I'm adopting so I don't perpetuate the race.

Miscegenation is also a fine option.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

A Thing That Did Not Happen.

Also, you'd think people who support the troops would know when troops left Iraq...

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
I think I've gotten some of my relatives to stop posting that kind of thing on Facebook just by constantly commenting with Snopes.com links.

The second result I got by searching for "Starbucks":

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/starbucks.asp

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Me - What does this even mean?
14 hours ago · Like

Crazy Person - ‎21st Century Eugenics, re-defining what natural causes of cancers are and rewriting history for the greater good for you to believe.

Spraying the sky full of poo poo like barium, aluminum, lithium and stirring mercury mixed in food or just using planes to do it for them with the pesticides causing health risks and effects that you wont feel yet or may feel right now
Take APPLES for instance..
They contain 42 known pesticide residues found by the USDA Pesticide Data Program. Out of the 42 pesticide residues, there are 7 known carcinogens, 19 suspected hormone disruptors, 10 neurotoxins, 6 developmental or reproductive toxins , and 17 honeybee toxins.

And with mandated health care, they could inject us directly.

Just look it up and shake your head and call it crazy.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Guilty Spork posted:

I think I've gotten some of my relatives to stop posting that kind of thing on Facebook just by constantly commenting with Snopes.com links.

The thing I always love about using Snopes links to respond to poo poo like this is getting to point to the date when Snopes first reported on it. So not only do you get to point out that what was said was utterly false, you get to point out that (in this case) the bullshit is eight years old.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Guilty Spork posted:

Yeah, did this.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

The thing I always love about using Snopes links to respond to poo poo like this is getting to point to the date when Snopes first reported on it. So not only do you get to point out that what was said was utterly false, you get to point out that (in this case) the bullshit is eight years old.
And it is a most glorious thing to point out. And in many cases these are just word-replacements of older BS emails. Who starts these things, anyway?

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

I've finally been removed from a few relatives' email forward lists by linking Snopes and/or other debunking sites and resorting to the "stupid or lying" dichotomy. I mean, it's not like this isn't the FIFTH time or whatever that I did 30 seconds of fact-checking and showed that your claims are bullshit, and linked fact-checking sites for you in my reply. So, y'know, which is it? Are you genuinely that stupid? Or are you intentionally lying to me? It's one or the other at this point.

I think I did that for the first time with the "Proposed Constitutional Amendment" one, where they got the number of states needed to ratify a Constitutional Amendment wrong right off the bat.

Edit: I also love that Snopes is so threatening to these imbeciles that there's been a sort of meta-forward going around about how Snopes is anti-Semitic or a tool of the leftists or whatnot. I've also seen references in emails that say "Snopes verifies this!" when it does nothing of the sort. Those make me laugh. "Yes, because this email that's full of lies and other false information SAYS that Snopes vetted it, it must be the case!" Holy gently caress, how these relatives haven't lost every cent of their money to con men I'll never know.

CarterUSM fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 22, 2012

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

A Thing That Did Not Happen.

Also, you'd think people who support the troops would know when troops left Iraq...

I'm pretty sure that's fake, too, but can we agree to not buy Starbucks anyways because the coffee is terrible? Every Starbucks I've ever been to over-roasts or burns the coffee beans, making the coffee terrible, and I say that as someone who loves espresso and other dark roast coffee.

ultimateforce posted:

Me - What does this even mean?
14 hours ago · Like

Crazy Person - ‎21st Century Eugenics, re-defining what natural causes of cancers are and rewriting history for the greater good for you to believe.

Spraying the sky full of poo poo like barium, aluminum, lithium and stirring mercury mixed in food or just using planes to do it for them with the pesticides causing health risks and effects that you wont feel yet or may feel right now
Take APPLES for instance..
They contain 42 known pesticide residues found by the USDA Pesticide Data Program. Out of the 42 pesticide residues, there are 7 known carcinogens, 19 suspected hormone disruptors, 10 neurotoxins, 6 developmental or reproductive toxins , and 17 honeybee toxins.

And with mandated health care, they could inject us directly.

Just look it up and shake your head and call it crazy.

The gently caress? That's even more extreme and crazier than the "death panels" bullshit from right-wingers. Do you know this crazy person well or are they just some weirdo on the internet you've never met?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
My Facebook feed just gets more silly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S9dwP-fV3o

since he calls himself Christian, I thought I'd follow up with this:
http://www.openbible.info/topics/giving_to_the_needy

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 22, 2012

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

pillsburysoldier posted:

I trolled the comments for a few minutes, but what was worst was how every racist on there assumed I'm not white just for supporting the video's claims.

Man, depressing.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

How are u posted:

I trolled the comments for a few minutes, but what was worst was how every racist on there assumed I'm not white just for supporting the video's claims.

Man, depressing.

Ha, I figured that was someone from this thread. Everyone in the comments is convinced I'm Jewish because I don't agree with them. :goleft:

It must be such an easy, mindless life to be a horrible racist. If someone doesn't agree with you, it's just because their Jew gland is acting up.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
They were labeling me a stupid, ignorant, ungrateful, un-evolved "negro", so I guess I came across as more uppity than you did.

:sigh:

e: I really hate racists. Now I've got a glum feeling that only bourbon can fix. This is why you don't touch the poop.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
oops double

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Someone keeps imploring me to look up the secret true history of slavery.

Turns out blacks and jews are the REAL racists, as always.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Did you know that native Africans were sometimes involved in the initial slave collecting? You see, this completely excuses the white mans part in the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade because

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

How are u posted:

Man, depressing.
There's a reason why Tim Wise named one of his books Speaking Treason Fluently.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

"All of the slaves? They used to be white, but the Africans dyed them before selling them. It's true, the jews taught them how."
     /
:tinfoil: :biotruths: :geert: :evil:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
I'm really hoping a high school friend of mine, someone who should know better, acknowledges the disconnect between the idea that it's the government's job to protect liberties and that the more the government gets involved in our lives, the worse it gets.

He's smart, he should know better, but he's just gone on a rant about personal responsibility after I saw him post links from reason.com and I said "those look a little biased."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

My Facebook feed just gets more silly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S9dwP-fV3o

since he calls himself Christian, I thought I'd follow up with this:
http://www.openbible.info/topics/giving_to_the_needy

Was he saying basic things as food/shelter aren't rights? Should I agree with him that those are bad things?

Or that helmet laws are bad?

Also socialized medicine works just fine, costs less, and covers everybody. Everything about this video is wrong.