Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

LastInLine posted:

I think it's white behind the keys where everything Gingerbread and up would be black. Remember in Eclair/Froyo the UI was white (statusbar, menus, etc).

I can certainly see why that would be annoying, no idea why it's happening to him and not me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

I can certainly see why that would be annoying, no idea why it's happening to him and not me though.
Because as he said he's on Froyo and you're on Ice Cream Sandwich (white vs. black UI).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes, it seems the stock "theme" on froyo is light, but there's no way to change it so anything looking for a theme such as Swype is stuck on light.

Any suggestions welcome, but I'm not getting rid, it's incredible compared to the 18 month old Swype on my factory install.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cakefool posted:

Yes, it seems the stock "theme" on froyo is light, but there's no way to change it so anything looking for a theme such as Swype is stuck on light.

Any suggestions welcome, but I'm not getting rid, it's incredible compared to the 18 month old Swype on my factory install.
Probably not the suggestion you're looking for but how about moving off a two year old OS?

There isn't a Gingerbread something for whatever device you're still using?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
As the replacement keyboard wars continue, my favourite Swiftkey 3 has finally left beta and is now available. If you already owned Swiftkey they have updated it to the new version on the market, so you don't have to buy it again as some feared.

Full versions - on sale for $2:
Phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey&hl=en
Tablet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.tablet.full

Demos:
Phone https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.phone.trial
Tablet https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey.tablet.trial

Swiftkey Blog posted:

Here’s what’s new:

Smart Space – adding to SwiftKey’s already cutting edge correction, Smart Space detects mistyped or omitted spaces across strings of sloppily typed words in real-time.
Two new themes – a new theme, ‘Cobalt’, to match SwiftKey’s new look and feel, and an Ice Cream Sandwich-styled ‘Holo’ theme, as voted for by SwiftKey’s VIP community.
An enhanced UI – a much larger space bar and smart punctuation key help improve accuracy and make it quick and easy to access common punctuation.
Additional languages – SwiftKey 3 now offers support for an additional seven languages, bringing the total up to 42. The new languages are Korean, Estonian, Farsi, Icelandic, Latvian, Lithuanian and Serbian.

Since launching the beta, we’ve taken feedback on board to include:

A dedicated comma key, and the <123> key in the bottom-left corner.
Refined the Smart Punctuation pop-up for better, easier use.
Improved Smart Space functionality for easier email addresses and URL entry.
Reduced lag on some devices for a more responsive experience.
Reintroduced the long-press duration setting by popular request.
Further improved prediction algorithms for even more accurate next word suggestions.
Updated gestures for easier shortcuts.
http://www.swiftkey.net/swiftkey-3-revealed

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
The only thing I don't like about the new swype is that they changed the numbers/symbols keyboard layout. I much preferred the old numpad layout to the new querty layout for that keyboard. I also don't like how the new numbers/symbols layout doesn't have quick-shift to get to extra symbols, and the shifted symbols aren't labeled until you shift.

It's a really minor complaint though, since it's really just that I'm used to the old layout so I got really used to typing my complicated passwords on it. It'll be annoying until I get used to this new setup.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Because as he said he's on Froyo and you're on Ice Cream Sandwich (white vs. black UI).

Sorry, somehow I managed to miss that bit entirely. :downs:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Frozen-Solid posted:

The only thing I don't like about the new swype is that they changed the numbers/symbols keyboard layout.

This is annoying, but, like you said, not major.

To add a couple more minor annoyances, I dislike that the edit page buttons aren't labeled anymore, but I'll adjust. And when I hit just "u" or "o" it no longer corrects to "I". I guess I could see why it would think I wanted to simply say "u", but some people actually type entire words out!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I have an issue with this phrasing. You'll notice Apple doesn't release a poo poo load of incremental updates to their core apps either. The difference is that they make sure it's ready for prime time before they even talk about it at all and then they don't have to revisit it for a long time.

That's not the only way to do things, you can do it the Google way where you release early and often but that's the point- you have to do it often; you have to follow through. Google never does and everything is in perpetual beta. And the thing is they use this system perfectly with Chrome so it's not like no one there understands the concept, it's just that no one else there seems to.

Either don't release until it's ready then move on to the next project or release it and improve it quickly with a consistent user experience in mind. This middle way is bullshit and the worst part about Android.

Right, that's why I said "with lots of promise". I'd be fine if they released them with lots of promise and then did a lot of updates.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Thermopyle posted:

Right, that's why I said "with lots of promise". I'd be fine if they released them with lots of promise and then did a lot of updates.

I'm hoping that with the big changes to the operating system in ICS out of the way, Mattias Duarte is perhaps paying more attention to other aspects like the core apps, and they've been furiously revising and polishing away and with JB we'll see a much more finished experience. Hoping.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Anyway something that's been driving me insane is SMS on my phone.

It's a Samsung Captivate, and when I switched to an ICS ROM, the stock messaging app stopped working when I try to view message threads after I restored my old messages, which I really wanted to keep around. So I switched to GoSMS, disabled notifications in the stock messaging app and forgot about it.

GoSMS has been getting on my nerves a bit, it just doesn't fit in, so I started to look for solutions to getting the stock messaging app working again. I found on the market a port of the stock messaging app with a few tweaks including something about removing the date sent field which Samsung's app doesn't have. Run that, I can see all my messages in what looks and feels exactly like the stock app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.concentriclivers.mms.com.android.mms

But when I go to turn on notifications in it, I don't get them. I look in GoSMS and it has a setting to disable other message notifications in other apps. I turn that off, but that doesn't seem to work, instead now I just don't see new messages get added in the stock or modified app at all. I uninstall GoSMS, I still don't get notifications or see the new messages get added - my phone is a black hole for SMS. Reinstall GoSMS things start working again, as long as I set it to disable other notifications and display its own notifications. I try another app, SMS Popup, which works, but only when popping up the message, it otherwise won't show notifications in the bar after closing the popup.

No combination I can find of tweaking GoSMS's settings or the other messaging app's notification settings works to give me notifications back in the other apps, and only after setting GoSMS to disable notifications to other apps do I see messages even show up in other apps. I've cleared cache/data for the other apps, rebooted, uninstalled them all, reinstalled in various combinations, it just won't work.

At this point I don't know what I can do without just sticking with GoSMS or flashing a ROM again.

Am I missing something obvious, any ideas?

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

gmq posted:

The beta has a "Enable Handwriting" setting, is that new?

EDIT: Aw man, the dedicated "switch language" button is no longer there.

Long press on the space bar to switch languages.

Frozen-Solid posted:

The only thing I don't like about the new swype is that they changed the numbers/symbols keyboard layout. I much preferred the old numpad layout to the new querty layout for that keyboard. I also don't like how the new numbers/symbols layout doesn't have quick-shift to get to extra symbols, and the shifted symbols aren't labeled until you shift.

Long press on the number/symbol key to get the numpad.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LastInLine posted:

Probably not the suggestion you're looking for but how about moving off a two year old OS?

There isn't a Gingerbread something for whatever device you're still using?

Not actually a terrible suggestion - there is a gb build available but will there be any difference in this specific issue? If there was an ics build I'd root & go for it but there are a lot of drivers that were never released for development on the streak.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Cakefool posted:

Not actually a terrible suggestion - there is a gb build available but will there be any difference in this specific issue? If there was an ics build I'd root & go for it but there are a lot of drivers that were never released for development on the streak.
You have a Streak, right? Apparently Dell made a build for 2.3 but it didn't make it out to devices.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/dell-streak-5-gets-official-gingerbread/

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You have a Streak, right? Apparently Dell made a build for 2.3 but it didn't make it out to devices.

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/dell-streak-5-gets-official-gingerbread/

If it is a Streak, then there's no reason not to go for GB - I'm typing this from one now. I would recommend the unofficial CM7 plus Phoenix kernel.

There's even some ICS development going but it's early days.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Any easy way to reskin the stock ICS UI without having to resort to flashing another rom?
I am thinking of flashing back stock ICS and I will be rooting it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Jervas Dudley posted:

Long press on the number/symbol key to get the numpad.

Yes, it still has a numpad keyboard layout, but the number/symbol keyboard layout changed and that's the layout that I don't like now.

It used to be arranged like this, with little light grey labels for the extra shifted symbols:

pre:
 @#123_%()
 &$456+:;"
  !7890/?
    , .
Now to get to ~ or \ or {} I have to first tap on the numbers/symbols layout, then I have to hit shift, then I have to click the extra symbol. I used to be able to hit the numbers/symbols button, then press and hold / to get a quick \. Or press and hold & to get a quick ~. Now it's an extra click, and also takes longer to find the extra symbol I want to use, since they're not labeled on the normal screen.

I MUCH prefer the new numpad layout keyboard as it's bigger and less cluttered. Just having simple math keys on there is much better than including a few other things like () that weren't needed before. Unfortunately, I use that layout a lot less than I use the numbers/symbols layout.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 21, 2012

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^I'm pretty sure they went to the qwerty number/symbol keyboard close to a year ago...

Despite loving the new Swype, I went ahead and bought Swift Key 3 while it's on sale. I'm pretty sure it'll be replacing GO Keyboard as my landscape keyboard (I loving LOVE Keyboard Manager) and will probably be my go to when I pick up a tablet in the next few months.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
I keep switching between swiftkey 3 and swype beta. They need to hurry up and combine into the one true keyboard.

BluDiE
Jan 2, 2008

Don't you get it?!?
Everybody loses, now
THAT's WINNING!

Frozen-Solid posted:

Now to get to ~ or \ or {} I have to first tap on the numbers/symbols layout, then I have to hit shift, then I have to click the extra symbol. I used to be able to hit the numbers/symbols button, then press and hold / to get a quick \. Or press and hold & to get a quick ~. Now it's an extra click, and also takes longer to find the extra symbol I want to use, since they're not labeled on the normal screen.

If you know the corresponding key you can just press and hold and it will bring up a menu of symbols for you (for that key) so you dont HAVE to do the num/sym > shift > click.

Doesn't totally alleviate your issue, but it's not a terrible option.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Bhm posted:

Any easy way to reskin the stock ICS UI without having to resort to flashing another rom?

I remember hacking custom battery indicators and whatnot into stock framework using web-based kitchen in gingerbread days. In terms of effort and risk of breaking something, I think flashing properly theme-supporting rom (like cyanogen) might be a lot easier.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

BluDiE posted:

If you know the corresponding key you can just press and hold and it will bring up a menu of symbols for you (for that key) so you dont HAVE to do the num/sym > shift > click.

Doesn't totally alleviate your issue, but it's not a terrible option.

It used to display the symbol you'd get if you long pressed the key (or switched to the 2nd symbol keyboard). I don't know why they removed it...

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

XIII posted:

It used to display the symbol you'd get if you long pressed the key (or switched to the 2nd symbol keyboard). I don't know why they removed it...

Yeah I just realised this. It's a bit annoying.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I was getting a constant FC on the new Swype Beta on the June 20th Vibrant CM9 nightly, but I restarted multiple times and still had to wait and now it magically works.

"Are you sure you want to delete the word 'Ana'?"

"Are you sure you want to delete the word 'Anne'?"

Thank loving god.

Edit: My phone is rooted, does anyone have a reminder on how to rip out the older Swype and leave the new one on? I'm short on app storage.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 21, 2012

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I was getting a constant FC on the new Swype Beta on the June 20th Vibrant CM9 nightly, but I restarted multiple times and still had to wait and now it magically works.

Thank loving god.

Wait, where's this option?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

rolleyes posted:

Wait, where's this option?

Long press on any suggested word.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Swiftkey 3 is now offering me textspeak words. I actually type properly! :mad:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Thank loving god.

Edit: My phone is rooted, does anyone have a reminder on how to rip out the older Swype and leave the new one on? I'm short on app storage.
Go to /system/app and delete it. You might want to clear data first just free up whatever space it's taking up, but if you can somehow distinguish it from the beta the data is stored in /data/data under the package name.

The beta is called com.nuance.swype.input and com.nuance.swype.installer for the installer apk, the old Swype packages are probably the same without Nuance in there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
OK, I'm going to need all my swears back. Does anyone know if the Facebook/Twitter scouring feature will add all the swears I've written, or does it only do contacts?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

OK, I'm going to need all my swears back. Does anyone know if the Facebook/Twitter scouring feature will add all the swears I've written, or does it only do contacts?
It does your speech patterns but no, it doesn't add in your curse words. I've restored Swype so may times that I'm just used to typing "Test gently caress loving hosed fuckhead clusterfuck oval office cunty poo poo lovely shithead shitload". You don't even have to send the message, just tap the correction every time.

If you don't put the leading Test it will assume the first curse word is a proper noun and suggest a capitalized version of it every time.

Also speech to text now works properly but curse words get starred out: f*ck, sh*t, etc.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Is there an option somewhere that 'yes, I'm a f*cking adult' that we can check :p. I like to cuss :(.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

deong posted:

Is there an option somewhere that 'yes, I'm a f*cking adult' that we can check :p. I like to cuss :(.

But then our children could select that option and then OH GOD THE HUMANITY :byodood:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Speaking of.. Have any of the censors been to a middle school lately? There is nothing on tv/games/music/etc that can top them little fuckers.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bhm posted:

If you download a rom with Theme Chooser support (it's been folded into the CyanogenMod code, so any recent build of AOKP or whatever should have it) you can install some themes. They don't change the all of the graphics, but the widgets (UI widgets like sliders and toggles, that is, not the Gmail and Calendar sort) and stuff are themed. I've currently got Matted Blue installed on my Galaxy Nexus and it looks pretty nice. A lot of themes are godawful, though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Zo posted:

This is a niche question but, I was wondering if it were possible to run an app so that your volume up button takes the functionality of your power button for the sake of waking up and sleeping your phone.

My power button broke so this would be extremely helpful. Or is this something that needs a rooted phone?

If you have a custom launcher that is gesture capable, you could just download an app like Screen Lock and switch the lock to a gesture. I have my screen lock set to pinch in by having that gesture activate that app, and only use my power button to turn off the screen as opposed to locking (lock timeout set to thirty minutes). Even if you can't do that, you could just make it a shortcut on your launch screen or tray.

This app seems to let you set your phone so that you can shake it to unlock. You could just use that to shake to re-lock as well, but I think that'd get annoying really fast.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 22, 2012

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know where this notification is coming from? I only get it on my Touchpad running a nightly of CM9 from maybe a month ago, not on my GNex on CM9. I think I've got pretty much every app that's on the Touchpad also on the Gnex. The notifications are links to websites.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The Verge are saying Flipboard has been officially released, not seeing it yet in the store though.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

sirbeefalot posted:

Does anyone know where this notification is coming from? I only get it on my Touchpad running a nightly of CM9 from maybe a month ago, not on my GNex on CM9. I think I've got pretty much every app that's on the Touchpad also on the Gnex. The notifications are links to websites.

A lot of apps are moving to push ads that show up in the notification bar. Install an app that blocks Airpush.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

grack posted:

A lot of apps are moving to push ads that show up in the notification bar. Install an app that blocks Airpush.

No, uninstall the app and leave a negative comment. This kind of poo poo shouldn't be tolerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

sirbeefalot posted:

Isn't that AirPush or a similar ad framework? There supposed to be a detector app for this on play store.

Those AirPush guys are pretty aggressive too, I'm a registered android developer and I get their "please poo poo up your app with our horrible framework" spam from them on a weekly basis.

• Locked thread