Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bell_ posted:

You maniacs!
You artifacted it up! Ah, drat you! God drat you all to hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Olivia42 posted:

The beer doesn't taste great, by the way.

Well that was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

So, this reveal that they live on the kids' and trolls' meteor really only reconfirms my troubling suspicion that this is Universe C - that is, the universe their session finally creates. On the bright side they seem to be at the very end of, at least, this planet's life, so it probably had a rich full history with happy happy people. Hooray!

The reason I'm thinking this is because, obviously, there is a direct tie between our heroes and uu/UU's current position. Maybe after they make their new universe they crash their meteor into it... or something. I dunno the specifics are still a bit foggy, but everyone seems to have seriously forgotten that uu/UU are not on Earth.

Sigh, lemme dig it out...

Homestuck posted:

UU: oh, hee hee! bUt i never claimed to be from that planet, which is only in the far reaches of yoUr solar system.
UU: in fact i am from mUch farther away. a different Universe altogether.

From UU's very first conversation.

e: and all those artifacted Statues of Liberty.

Guys. Guys this is the world the kids made. That's the mark Dave left.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 22, 2012

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Olivia42 posted:

This update just made me realize, how the heck will the travelers on Sloppy Makeout Meteor actually make it to the new session? I guess they all survived crashing on a planet via meteor before, so why not again?

Anyway, as much as I try to avoid thinking about webcomics during my non-internet life, today at the store I noticed a suspicious looking beer that eerily reflected certain recent updates. The more I looked at the label the more I saw, from the color to the text on the label giving the illusion of alternating capitalized J's and U's, to the swirly images contained therein, so I obviously had to buy it. Is this what happens when you've been serially following this stupid webcomic for a year and a week or so? It starts to affect your everyday purchases? poo poo.

The beer doesn't taste great, by the way.

Also 6 12oz bottles. 612. God dammit.

E: I REAAALLLLLY want an avatar of Calliope sticking her tongue out, but i think that might be a bit too hyper-spoilerriffic.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 22, 2012

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
UU is not from Earth, that doesn't necessarily mean she's not on it.

Just to keep the cylinders firing.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Starmaker posted:

The reason I'm thinking this is because, obviously, there is a direct tie between our heroes and uu/UU's current position. Maybe after they make their new universe they crash their meteor into it... or something. I dunno the specifics are still a bit foggy, but everyone seems to have seriously forgotten that uu/UU are not on Earth.

If the meteor isn't going to crash directly into the B-kids universe, then everybody's gonna get off of it (probably to board Jade and John's ship) and if so, the meteor is going to continue on through the furthest ring and who knows what will happen or where it will end up? Could wind up embedding itself in the universe the kids create, or a completely different universe that was created ages ago by someone else, or any number of other things.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Starmaker posted:

They might've brought over the meteor to universe C so that they could use it's equipment to do things like start making a viable population for whatever species is going to dominate it. Kanaya mentions this in a log with Jade.

quote:

GA: And Ive Gathered That The Cloning Apparatus In The Veil Is Probably Meant To Permit An Initial Boost On The World We Select For Settlement

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Nick Smalley posted this to his Tumblr for the recent update.

The Bign
May 29, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Starmaker posted:

Well that was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

So, this reveal that they live on the kids' and trolls' meteor really only reconfirms my troubling suspicion that this is Universe C - that is, the universe their session finally creates. On the bright side they seem to be at the very end of, at least, this planet's life, so it probably had a rich full history with happy happy people. Hooray!

Sigh, lemme dig it out...

From UU's very first conversation.

e: and all those artifacted Statues of Liberty.

Guys. Guys this is the world the kids made. That's the mark Dave left.

How could the kids have made a world?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Dave made a lot of artifacted crap and then shot it all into space, remember. I guess this is where it wound up.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
In a completely different universe?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I'm concerned about what meaning it might have that calliope has a red sun and green blood. Also pieces of the meteor and of humanity floating on some red thing. Might be similar to how pieces of Scratch's home were floating on green stuff.
Does this mean uu gets a green sun?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

In the words of the great Hermes Conrad, "That just raises further questions!"

I'm...kinda stumped.

- It could be the far-far-future of B2-Earth, which somehow survives the Red Miles that are currently invading it. The Meteor hits, everyone abandons ship (Wait, was the meteor headed for the B2-Earth or the B2 Incipisphere?), and then use their awesome powers to somehow sever the galaxy from Bilious Slick, so it floats around, sorta like the fragment of the A-frog that contained Doc Scratch's building. Extra Statues of Liberty are...hmm. I dunno. Exiles like the design and build a bunch?
- It could be the world/frog that the B1 and B2 kids make together. It's Dave's mark on the world that it's filled with artifacts. This might actually be the "happy" ending, because it seems like this was a normal world that survived to billions of years into the future and is only now sburbin', which is the best you can hope for.
- It could be some other random world / timeline in Bilious Slick where all of B2-Dave's lovely trash was dumped. And that Red Miles hasn't reached yet. No idea how the meteor would get there. Maybe all this poo poo is foreshadowing for them fighting the Condesce and her throwing the meteor and statues at them?
- Extra-silly scenario: Dirk's entry item is an artifacted mini Statue of Liberty (due to some hangup he has with his dead DaveBro) and thus his exile's station is an artifacted SoL. And because there's so many Dirks, each gets their own exile with his own station. :P

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Constable Lemon posted:

Well, at least that explains how Rose's book ends up in UU's hands. But i don't think that they are one the meteor while the Kids and Trolls are on it. Wherever it eventually ends up is where Calliope is.

But... he is already here.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Mystic Mongol posted:

Dave made a lot of artifacted crap and then shot it all into space, remember. I guess this is where it wound up.

He shot it in into the sun.

Nobody ever said which sun. :ssh:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Fucky posted:

Calliope is adorable and you're all terrible people for recoiling in disgust. :colbert:

I admit, I recoiled in horror, shock, disgust, horror again, and fear for my sanity when I saw Calliope's real face at 5 in the morning in a pitch black room, but she's really growing on me now, so much more than she ever did as a disembodied English chumcheerhandle. I think Hussie has been subtly figuring out an appealing way of drawing her that doesn't lose the impact, because a few days later and she's adorable now. :3:

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Has Hussie finally broken my mind, or does an artifacted Statue of Liberty

look suspiciously like Owen Wilson?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, call me dumb, but it wasn't until I saw all these statues of liberty that I realized that Rose's Zazzerpan statue being smashed up in the exile-future was a planet of the apes reference.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

xoFcitcrA posted:

Has Hussie finally broken my mind, or does an artifacted Statue of Liberty

look suspiciously like Owen Wilson?

:psypop:

I can't not see it now.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

The Bign posted:

Well, there's this game called SBURB...

[actual informative answer]

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Looper posted:

I admit, I recoiled in horror, shock, disgust, horror again, and fear for my sanity when I saw Calliope's real face at 5 in the morning in a pitch black room, but she's really growing on me now, so much more than she ever did as a disembodied English chumcheerhandle. I think Hussie has been subtly figuring out an appealing way of drawing her that doesn't lose the impact, because a few days later and she's adorable now. :3:

Some people thought it wouldn't keep happening. That Hussie couldn't possibly keep adding new characters and make them endearing and compelling.

THEY WERE WRONG.

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!
Theory:
Calliope is currently on post-scratch earth, eons after the Jack attacking Bilious Slick with the Red Miles is killed to prevent its destruction. The statues of liberty simply fell back to the planet because the sun's pull is too weak to keep them up there?

I don't know.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I know Hussie likes to take a lot of liberties with the use of .jpg artifacting but this is ridiculous...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wouldn't be nearly as confused right now if the statues didn't have jpg artifacts. :ohdear:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

TOAST7312 posted:

Theory:
Calliope is currently on post-scratch earth, eons after the Jack attacking Bilious Slick with the Red Miles is killed to prevent its destruction.

He's not continuously attacking. He did this attack for like, five seconds, and then ran off to chase the meteor / get chased by PM. It just is a really long attack due to, like, the scale of it and the weird time-fuckery of paradox space and stuff.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The Bign posted:

Well, they are gods now, and the Alchemiter is a powerful tool. Since the ultimate reward of the game is you get your own universe to play with anyway...

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

Bobulus posted:

He's not continuously attacking. He did this attack for like, five seconds, and then ran off to chase the meteor / get chased by PM. It just is a really long attack due to, like, the scale of it and the weird time-fuckery of paradox space and stuff.

So my theory isn't wrong, then; barring the 'kill jack' thing. :v:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Some people thought it wouldn't keep happening. That Hussie couldn't possibly keep adding new characters and make them endearing and compelling.

THEY WERE WRONG.

Can we get to the squiddle intermission already? I want to love all 48 of the squeaky little shits before they're brutally killed. Then we switch over to the pre-scratch troll ancestor stories who are just as awesome as the trolls we know and love, but die before doing anything actually relevant to the story besides leaving some pirate erotica around.

As for this update, I have no loving clue. My brain can not process any more HS shenanigans, I have reached loop overload.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Ive equally liked and hated Homestuck for about a year now. I cant stop reading a webcomic once I start, because Im a Literal Idiot, and despite completly despising Act 5 I kept reading it.

But like, I was just watching some of the older flashes and I saw Rose's entrance into the medium. Oh my god. Rose smashing the bottle has to be one of the laziest animations ive ever seen, which is odd because earlier Homestuck tends to have a lot more animation.

Renaissance Robot posted:

THEY WERE WRONG.

Theyre right, if the other 10 ancestor trolls are introduced in earnest Im gonna flip the gently caress out. Nobody cares about anyone in this strip that isnt the four kids + roxy + karkat. Christ. Lets get back to the basics people.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Meme Emulator posted:

Ive equally liked and hated Homestuck for about a year now. I cant stop reading a webcomic once I start, because Im a Literal Idiot, and despite completly despising Act 5 I kept reading it.

But like, I was just watching some of the older flashes and I saw Rose's entrance into the medium. Oh my god. Rose smashing the bottle has to be one of the laziest animations ive ever seen, which is odd because earlier Homestuck tends to have a lot more animation.

Theyre right, if the other 10 ancestor trolls are introduced in earnest Im gonna flip the gently caress out. Nobody cares about anyone in this strip that isnt the four kids + roxy + karkat. Christ. Lets get back to the basics people.

Vainhope.txt

No seriously that isn't happening sorry.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Captain Oblivious posted:

Vainhope.txt

I know it wont, Im just projecting.

Im a serious Ultima fan and if Lord English is killed in the same way Lord British died because of a goofy glitch or oversight, (due to a crash Richard Garriot logged back in without refreshing his invulnerability flag, so when people cast spells on him he took damage without being aware of it and died) Id love it.

I loved the earlier acts because of how game like they were, and if the final confrontation came down to glitching the system Id be in heaven. I know the story has become so complex that we cant indulge in sylladex shenanegans so much anymore, but Id be so happy if Lord English got caught in the geometry or something and in a totally anticlimactic fight everyone cheesed the hell out of him.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

TOAST7312 posted:

So my theory isn't wrong, then; barring the 'kill jack' thing. :v:

Right! And also the part that requires Bilious Slick to not have been destroyed on-screen halfway through [S] Cascade to power the creation of the Green Sun.

Other than that, though, I'm sure your theory is totally flawless! :D

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Can I request the help of an experienced gifmaker? I need some help making an avatar without it looking like poo poo. I just picked up GIMP and I'd love some pointers through PMs if possible, so we don't clog up the thread.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I am so very confused right now.

But one thing that I am remembering as being weird was the curtains in Seer: Descend, as well as the chapters in Cascade corresponding to Red, Blue, Green, and White. All of the red sections were from B1, leading up to the creation of the Green Sun. We are currently in the green section, leading to the destruction of the Red Supergiant? Red and green turning to white was also in the picture in Calliope's room. And I don't have any idea what it means.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's hard to take this as gospel when Hussie is notoriously bad at estimating story duration, but supposedly the white section of the story is supposed to be a short epilogue.

I assumed that it would be a brief look at what everyone is up to in a post-fight, post-make-a-new-universe kind of a way. Especially if the new universe is made by a collaboration of the B2 trolls, the A1 kids, and the A2 kids, in a blue plus red plus green equals white kind of thing.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I found Hussie talking about the sun.

Hussie Book 2 Annotations posted:

The "red eye of the sun" is another bit of recurring imagery. In shows up in other places too, like volcanoes, and in the lava underneath the Beat Mesa. What does it mean, you ask? Look into your heart to find the answer. (Protip: that answer will be wrong. Your heart is kind of a moron.)

:tinfoil:

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 22, 2012

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Vainhope.txt

I sincerely doubt the other ten are getting added to the story, and I really hope they aren't. The two we've got right now are only involved due to having some pertinence to existing characters. Meenah is a way to give characterization to the Condesce. Aranea's been introduced because she and Vriska have a relationship not entirely unlike the B1 & B2 kids do with their respective adult figures.

Are they, strictly speaking, necessary? Well no. But they're way more relevant than Nepeta's ancestor, or the Summoner would be.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Seoinin posted:

Are they, strictly speaking, necessary? Well no. But they're way more relevant than Nepeta's ancestor, or the Summoner would be.

I don't think I have ever seen an opinion as wrong as this one.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Nepetancestor's not all that into the whole cat stuff or shipping, really. She's more into trains.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

update posted:

You have always had the feeling that whoever used to live on this planet had a really strange sense of humor.

Well that more or less confirms that Calliope lives on the same planet as hussie's big blue mansion, which would also explain why lord english was able to show up on hussie's front door and gun him down.

nobody has a stranger sense of humour than hussie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
Hussie has to introduce the last 10 trolls and their ancestors to complete the circle. And I will totally be 0k with that.