Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madhatter160
Aug 6, 2004
Mad as a hatter
I got suckered into buying 10222 Winter Village Post Office and 10216 Winter Village Bakery because I saw they were like 18% off on Amazon.com (thanks BrickBadger!) today. $100 including shipping. The wife is going to kill me. The only saving grace is that she just loves everything Christmas. So when I put those out with a Lego train or two running around the Christmas tree I hope everything will be forgiven.

And now a mystery of sorts. I bought a 10197 Fire Brigade from S@H while they had their free shipping in the US last week. When I opened the shipping box, I found the Fire Brigade, of course, and my 40049 Mini-Sopwith Camel. Then, stuffed around the Fire Brigade box as a type of padding I found 9461 The Swamp Creature and 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack. Interesting. I looked at the shipping invoice and there was no mention of the Swamp Creature and the Battle Pack. $20 worth of free Lego? Heck yes! Has this happened to anyone else? It's like some guy in the warehouse just decided to make someone's day (or made a mistake).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ika posted:

Hows the scale of the non UCS tie advanced compared to the new tie fighter?

Also, say the 8053 for sale today (60€), couldn't resist getting a second one... I swear I;m gonna be broke if this continues.

One day there will be a charity for homeless AFOLs, made broke by their hobby. Forced into unpleasant situations, making do with mega bloks or worse, just to get by.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any video game fans should check out Lego Batman 2. It's tons of fun, has on open world along with traditional levels, and it uses the score from Tim Burtons Batman films. Kids and AFOLs should love it!

I have the first batman and it was strange, could never really figure out anything in it. Played through the other lego games to 100% though. How does batman 2 compare to the other games? Last Lego game I played was the pirates one and it is atrocious with the insane loading times.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jusupov posted:

I have the first batman and it was strange, could never really figure out anything in it. Played through the other lego games to 100% though. How does batman 2 compare to the other games? Last Lego game I played was the pirates one and it is atrocious with the insane loading times.

It's definitely more like the more modern Lego titles. Things are a bit more straightforward, but still with loads of item collecting and switching characters. The first Batman was a bit of a letdown, but this one is really amazing. Definitely one of the best Lego games so far.

Love the new talking characters as well. It's nice to have a bit more of a story now than simply characters mugging for the camera.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

madhatter160 posted:

I looked at the shipping invoice and there was no mention of the Swamp Creature and the Battle Pack. $20 worth of free Lego? Heck yes! Has this happened to anyone else? It's like some guy in the warehouse just decided to make someone's day (or made a mistake).

Somewhere a kid with an empty box is bawling his eyes out. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY NOW MR FREE LEGO.

Nice one with the Winter sets. I've been considering getting these as they're cheap on Euro-Amazons from time to time and I think the wife would dig them as she likes that kind of traditional Christmas thing. They'd be nice to collect and rebuild each year I think as well.

madhatter160
Aug 6, 2004
Mad as a hatter

Gravy Jones posted:

Somewhere a kid with an empty box is bawling his eyes out. I HOPE YOU'RE HAPPY NOW MR FREE LEGO.

I know! It does make me feel bad that some poor kid may not get his Swamp Thing and Clone Troopers. :( At least Lego would most likely send out replacement sets to the poor kid!

I called Lego and reported it. Well, originally I called because the way they show the free mini Sopwiths looks really strange on the invoice in the box compared to the invoice on line, but I did mention the extra sets. They were cool about it and said, "Our mistake, go ahead and enjoy them."

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Got Helm's Deep, Moria and Uruk Hai Army all for 20% off at Myer. No Orc Forge or I'd have all my collection done.

I've still only managed to do half of Weathertop, but I like the way they got the shape. Though the technique isn't new to me, it's the first I've seen it in an official set. Which is kinda neat. I like the set so far.
Helm's Deep and Moria are for later, but I've built the Uruk Hai army set. The fort is kind of basic with nothing new or exciting beyond the theme. Except with a nice little few touches. It feels nice, and if I had more I could link them all up. The ballista is neat though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Orc Forge is apparently a 'hard to find' set? Had the mark on the box. Weird to see such a set at Target(s) then. Isn't 'hard to find' usually reserved for like, Modular Buildings and UCS sets and stuff?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
For less than $2, I found a big bag of Lego pieces at a thrift store this morning. They look like they make a catapult, with a brown bucket on a long piece, and brown wheels - including some silver star/spike wheel things. They're sitting in a bowl of warm soapy water at the moment - any idea what set they're from?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Ausgoons, my local KMart suddenly got like, a hundred Shuttle Expeditions in and they're going for $129 ($160 from lego.com). I'm hoping they have a sale soon too and it drops further.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Red posted:

For less than $2, I found a big bag of Lego pieces at a thrift store this morning. They look like they make a catapult, with a brown bucket on a long piece, and brown wheels - including some silver star/spike wheel things. They're sitting in a bowl of warm soapy water at the moment - any idea what set they're from?

I'm thinking Kingdoms Outpost Attack.
http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Kingdoms-Outpost-Attack-7948/dp/B003F7TODY

Hodgesaargh
Oct 25, 2010
There's a new Lego shop opening up in my city and I'm applying for team member and supervisor roles, similar to what I currently work as.

I know some people in this thread work for Lego, I was wondering if you had any tips for my CV/interview, if I get one.

I'm not really a hardcore AFOL, I've only bought a few sets over the last couple of years, but I do have relative retail experience, including working with children.

It's in the UK if that makes any difference.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nope - my buckets and wheels are brown.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Red posted:

Nope - my buckets and wheels are brown.

Dwarves’ Mine Defender 7040

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

Dwarves’ Mine Defender 7040

That appears to be it - although I have a lot of extra chains.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Hodgesaargh posted:

There's a new Lego shop opening up in my city and I'm applying for team member and supervisor roles, similar to what I currently work as.

I know some people in this thread work for Lego, I was wondering if you had any tips for my CV/interview, if I get one.

I'm not really a hardcore AFOL, I've only bought a few sets over the last couple of years, but I do have relative retail experience, including working with children.

It's in the UK if that makes any difference.

Is it the one at the Manchester Arndale? I missed the application date on that one. Anyone know when that opens?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Surprised to find very few posts about the 10226 Sopwith Camel. This set gets even more looks and discussion than my 787 (10177), even though it is smaller.

This set is what it's cracked up to be and worth every penny. The colors are vibrant, the size and scale are excellent, and the functionality seals the deal. I haven't had this much fun putting a set together in quite a while. The piece count is a little deceiving—there's tons of little 1x1, connector rods, balljoints, et cetera.

The main draw of this set is the real working ailerons and elevators connected to the yoke in the cockpit. They move in the appropriate directions for flight, which is a simple but all-to-easy to screw up detail. They achieve this by a system of string that gets pulled by joints connected to the yoke. Tension is kept by using rubber bands on the underside of the control surfaces. Without these bands as counter tension, the surfaces would be hard-over all the time. It's a clever and functional setup that will make you grin once you start putting it together.

The rudder is movable, but not via the cockpit. A shame, but understandable once you put it together, since there is scant room in the interior left for it, and you'd have no way to push the rudder pedals. A larger scale Technic model might have done this.

All of the graphics are decals, not printed, which may make a difference for those that like to re-use pieces. There's lots of rare and useful pieces, like the metallic quarter-circles surrounding the engine. The engine itself is accurate; it spins freely and has a true radial engine with cylinders that spin. The cylinders are done in a clever way, built from 1x1 dots on a 1x1 hook tile that connects to an octagonal frame. This keeps it light weight for more spins. Unfortunately there is no room at all in the internals for an electric motor - the control surface stuff is smack dab in the way. The landing gear has a working suspension, which is a nice touch.

It is not minifig scale, but my advice would be to either build a brick or papercraft Snoopy to sit in the cockpit. :)

Unfortunately, Lego forgot to include one of the rubber bands that keeps tension on the control surfaces. I had to MacGyver it in the interim until I get a replacement from Lego. This is the second time this happened to me in big sets, as my 787 was missing a key connecting rod for one of the engines. A run of bad luck, but annoying nonetheless.

Long-term, I'd be concerned about the durability of the string used to move the control surfaces. There's several hard-edged areas that it travels through, and if you like to move things around a bit it might fray. The rubber bands may also wear out and lose tension over time. It may not be much of a concern since it's a display model, but it is something to consider.

Even if you aren't an aviation enthusiast like I am, this is a very worthwhile set to build and display. Plus, you get the mini one for free when you buy it at the Lego store, which is a nice perk.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Sockser posted:

Orc Forge is apparently a 'hard to find' set? Had the mark on the box. Weird to see such a set at Target(s) then. Isn't 'hard to find' usually reserved for like, Modular Buildings and UCS sets and stuff?

"Hard to find" means "exclusive somewhere." You can only get that guy from Lego or Target. Target almost always has an exclusive set, so does TRU.

Hodgesaargh
Oct 25, 2010

beato posted:

Is it the one at the Manchester Arndale? I missed the application date on that one. Anyone know when that opens?

No, Meadowhall Sheffield. They have posted positions at all grades.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Currently in the middle of the smaller of the two Hogwarts sets put out recently, which I got for $35 at the local Walmart yesterday. It's good for parts (something like nine octagon plates, and I'm sure I'll find a use for the mint-green turrets) but has a lot of perilously stacked parts where if you press on them wrong they'll fold up and go flying. (Hard to describe but I'm sure you've experienced it.)

They have the bigger one too, along with a bunch of PotC on sale...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

beato posted:

It opens late in July if everything goes to plan.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Hodgesaargh posted:

No, Meadowhall Sheffield. They have posted positions at all grades.

Oh hey, I'm applying there for a sales associate position. I'm just finishing up my CV for it now with the help of another goon.

Hodgesaargh
Oct 25, 2010
Hm, guess it would be inappropriate of me to ask for help then? :v:

Seriously though, any general tips or hints would be awesome, I have relevant retail experience, but working in a Lego shop would be so much more interesting than a shoe shop...

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Build The Werewolf set last night. The hot-rod is pretty straight forward, but looks good finished. The "shrine" has a fun and goofy play feature. Overall it kind of felt like a table scrap build, though it's a good source for dark brown slopes. The mini-figs are well done, Major Quinton Steele especially.

Two minor complaints:
The first is my own fault, don't try to read the instructions in poor lighting the white borders for the dark brown aren't very well defined so every other step appeared as, "add brown blob on top of brown blob".

The second I'm a little concerned about, while looking for the link on brickset I saw on their front page an article complaining about the quality of the bricks in the new sets. I noticed a distinct difference in texture and sturdiness the moment I touched one of these pieces, especially the plates.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Dr. Benway posted:

Build The Werewolf set last night. The hot-rod is pretty straight forward, but looks good finished. The "shrine" has a fun and goofy play feature. Overall it kind of felt like a table scrap build, though it's a good source for dark brown slopes. The mini-figs are well done, Major Quinton Steele especially.

Two minor complaints:
The first is my own fault, don't try to read the instructions in poor lighting the white borders for the dark brown aren't very well defined so every other step appeared as, "add brown blob on top of brown blob".

The second I'm a little concerned about, while looking for the link on brickset I saw on their front page an article complaining about the quality of the bricks in the new sets. I noticed a distinct difference in texture and sturdiness the moment I touched one of these pieces, especially the plates.

I had the mostly the same experience with this set. It was the only other Monster Fighters set in my price range I was interested in and I was getting it mostly for the werewolf figure. The car is nice but I took it all apart almost immediately to sort into my collection, its a good assortment of pieces just not very impressively put together. Major Quinton looks like a bad rear end, his damned cap refused to stay on though and pops off with ease.

I've also noticed the varying piece quality though oddly not with this set. I noticed it mostly when I got the Creator Lighthouse set, all of the slopes were a noticeably different type of plastic with a weird sort of smeared grain on the outside. They still grip just as good they just somehow feel cheaper.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Sockser posted:

Well I can buy it at a BigW online, so ay other Ausgoons seen it anywhere? I suppose I can try BigW but I don't think they have a nice sale on yet.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Hodgesaargh posted:

Seriously though, any general tips or hints would be awesome, I have relevant retail experience, but working in a Lego shop would be so much more interesting than a shoe shop...

I have only worked in retail a little, and still got the job. As long as you are good with kids and are knowledgeable about Lego, you should be good. I think one of the reasons I got hired was because I talked to one of the associates for a bit before I asked about a job, and when she talked to our manager she said she really liked me. It also helped that I've worked at camp a bunch, so I have experience working with kids.

Also, if the manager isn't available when you go in (or turn your resume in online) call the manager when they are available and try to schedule an interview. That's what I did, and I had the job by the end of the week.

Hodgesaargh
Oct 25, 2010
That's great, thanks.

I do have experience working with kids, so that's a boon. The shop isn't open as yet, and the manager position is being applied for too, so I'm not sure if I can contact anyone, but thanks for the tip.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Well I can buy it at a BigW online, so ay other Ausgoons seen it anywhere? I suppose I can try BigW but I don't think they have a nice sale on yet.

$64 at BigW. I'll see if it goes down after June 28 when their sale starts.

Finished Weathertop, and it's a nice little structure. Very solid. Only problems are the staircase is little loose and closing the structure isn't very smooth. I still like it, and it's probably going to be my favourite piece. It works so well as an ornament, but can also be easily included into other sets. I think basing something off of it for a tower in Heroica would be kind of neat. We'll see how Helm's Deep stacks up.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Holy poo poo

More at link

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Build it then we can talk.

That's pretty cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Myers is all out of Camper vans. :qq:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

youareoffthehook posted:

I have only worked in retail a little, and still got the job. As long as you are good with kids and are knowledgeable about Lego, you should be good. I think one of the reasons I got hired was because I talked to one of the associates for a bit before I asked about a job, and when she talked to our manager she said she really liked me. It also helped that I've worked at camp a bunch, so I have experience working with kids.

Also, if the manager isn't available when you go in (or turn your resume in online) call the manager when they are available and try to schedule an interview. That's what I did, and I had the job by the end of the week.

My app is in at your store for what's it worth.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Myers is all out of Camper vans. :qq:

Yep :(

Went in Friday night at Myer Centre Bris. They said there had been a massive rush and all were sold within a few hours Thursday morning when the sale started.

None left in any other Brisbane stores either.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I decided to make the trip up to Lynnwood today to go to the grand opening of the Lego store up there and get the exclusive Lego store model.
Turns out it was a giant waste of time. After a drive that's longer than the trip to the Bellevue store, I get there about 10 minutes after the store opened and learned that I needed a ticket to get into the store. The tickets were being handed out around the corner. I waited a couple minutes in line to get one, and the lowest group number available was group 22. Group 3 wasn't in the store yet. The woman who gave me a ticket said I'd get in around 5:30. Seven hours. I handed it back and said I couldn't do that. Plus it turns out the exclusive set was limited to the first 300 customers who spent more than $35, so there was no way I would have gotten one.

So I went south on 405 to the Bellevue store instead, bought 5 grab bags and ordered the minecraft set while I was there.
If I had known how the grand opening was going to work, I wouldn't have wasted the gas.

I also came across a Lynnwood Craigslist ad for a bunch of Lego for $300. Pictures showed a bunch of creator houses. When I looked closely at the pictures, I saw what looked like half of a Market Street, which goes for $500+. The seller confirmed my sighting, but wanted to sell the lot with the storage loft and was waiting for someone who would. For another $200 (plus a loft I couldn't use), that wasn't me.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

PriorMarcus posted:

That's fine. My email is [redacted], you can send me your details there and I'll look into mailing cost for you.

This finally arrived:

The writing is from another PO Box holder, apparently my package went to Vancouver, BC Canada before coming to Vancouver, WA USA and then went to the wrong PO Box.

Thanks again dude!

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I was actually thinking today, what's really starting to piss me off is the whole exclusive contracts that stores in Australia have with Lego.

I'm not completely across all the specifics, but for example, any of the larger AFOL-targeted sets, like the VW camper, london bridge etc are only available at Myer, while entire lines, like Alien Conquest, are only available at Target (sometimes kMart). Basically what this means is I have to visit multiple stores, only to find out a particular set is only carried at some other store, or they are out of stock completely. Stock levels also vary greatly between stores under the same umbrella. For example, the Target in the Myer Centre in Brisbane has hardly anything, whereas the one at Indooroopilly seems to have about twice as much, yet still no-where near the full Lego line.

For this reason I haven't actually bought any lego in ages, because its either

1. Not in stock at this specific store,
2. Not carried by this particular retailer
or
3. Hilariously expensive.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the way Apple handles their retail operations - for someone to be a certified Apple reseller it seems they must carry a minimum number of stock lines, which is pretty close to everything you can buy, and all the prices are within a few dollars of each other. Whereas Myer can just charge whatever the gently caress they like, knowing that you can't get certain lines anywhere else.

And don't get me started on the outrageous shipping costs from the Lego site. I would happily pay the RRP from there, but minimum $40 shipping is just ludicrous.

Sorry to be all :goonsay: but I just want me Lego fix and they're making it really hard for me :(

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Alien Conquest was at Myer, in Sydney at least. But in general I agree with you. It's hard to find many things since store to store, chain to chain, stock varies massively.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Because for some people apparently the Super Star Destroyer isn't big enough

http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/324928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So thats midi scale?