Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

298298 posted:

Jesus Christ it still took hours just reading chapter summaries to finish AFFC/ADWD. I would've been pissed if I'd went ahead reading the books.

Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Oh Jaime going to war in the riverlands finally something happening no wait settles it with words
Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Oh poo poo Stannis going to make Boltons pay nope time to get stuck in snow and talk
Nothing happening?
Nothing? Anything?
Oh cool at least we get another trial by combat lol nah let's leave that for another book way too much already happened in this one~

At what point did the wheels come off the bus with GRRM?

, bitch :smug:

I would recommend reading the Reek chapter where Roose Bolton monologues at him, because it's possibly the best thing GRRM's ever written in the series.

And the wheels came off this one due to publisher pressure on GRRM resulting in him cutting all the poo poo going down at Winterfell and in Meereen. Yes, that was stupid.

But now you know why we exist! ELEVEN. loving. YEARS.

Also I'd forgotten to publish it, but I wrote up a justification for the Joffrey assassination plan:

Things go wrong all the time. Sansa not showing up or not wearing the hairnet was highly unlikely because Dontos told her that wearing them was crucial to her escaping that night. The hairnet had a ton of "amethysts" which were actually the Strangler. One or two falling off wouldn't be a problem (barring the amethysts falling into someone's soup or something).

The benefit of that really roundabout method of delivery was that it would be nearly impossible to pin the blame on the Tyrells, whether or not it succeeded. That's a pretty big plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah I read the Reek chapters just because I'd heard so much about them, plus Asha.

gently caress all the rest of it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Read the Victarion chapters (in ADWD) to complete the Greyjoy family trifecta, as they're actually entertaining.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Irrefutable fact:

People who own fedoras:

1. Masturbate to A Song of Ice and Fire/HBO's A Game of Thrones

2. Masturbate to Not a Blog

3. Masturbate to My Little Pony

4. Masturbate to people masturbating to all those things

Irrefutable Fact.

Fixed that for you.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, this just describes George and anyone like George.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

298298 posted:

Yeah I read the Reek chapters just because I'd heard so much about them, plus Asha.

gently caress all the rest of it.

So what's your verdict on the series, in the end? Which one is the best of the novels? Etc.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The proper way to wear a fedora is to masturbate to pictures of 1940s men in fedoras, INTO your fedora, then wear your soiled fedora and proceed to masturbate to the things in that list. While drinking gin. Bonus points if paired with an unwashed ponytail.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
What about masturbating to this thread? This is important.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I have to read this thread when I'm having sex, or I simply cannot climax.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Usually masturbating or sex isn't even necessary when I read this thread. Especially when there's a mention of Darkstar or my daarling ~~~~*~* daario~*~~*~*

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Is it infeasible for all the fluff of AFFC/ADWD to be edited out? Or would we be left with a brochure?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I have to read this thread when I'm having sex, or I simply cannot climax.

I need to have ASOIAF sex scenes read by Gilbert Gottfried or I can't even get it up.

(Everyone's probably seen it, but if they haven't...you're welcome)

e: It's probably possible with a pretty vicious editor. You'd get about a GoT-sized book out of it, I'd think. But I'd still rather have some of the fluff, like Roose talking about Ramsay's conception.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

298298 posted:

Jesus Christ it still took hours just reading chapter summaries to finish AFFC/ADWD. I would've been pissed if I'd went ahead reading the books.

Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Oh Jaime going to war in the riverlands finally something happening no wait settles it with words
Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Oh poo poo Stannis going to make Boltons pay nope time to get stuck in snow and talk
Nothing happening?
Nothing? Anything?
Oh cool at least we get another trial by combat lol nah let's leave that for another book way too much already happened in this one~

Pretty sure someone said in an interview that one of the major things that was planned to happen in ADWD was pushed to the next book due to issues with length. I think most people agree it is probably Stannis's seige on Winterfell. If the book had been edited down and that part had been put in, I think it would have made it significantly better.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The Mutato posted:

Is it infeasible for all the fluff of AFFC/ADWD to be edited out? Or would we be left with a brochure?

It would make the books worse if they edited the fluff out.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

whowhatwhere posted:

So what's your verdict on the series, in the end? Which one is the best of the novels? Etc.

ACOK > GOT > ASOS were great and with some editing probably could've made it into a trilogy.

By the time I was in the middle of ASOS I was already tired of having 4-5 characters roaming around aimlessly but still ended up enjoying it overall, but then starting AFFC with motherfucking Brienne roaming around I just couldn't go any further.

I don't think it could be unintentional that he managed to choose the least interesting character of the series (Brienne) to wander around searching for the second least interesting character (Sansa) and then decide hey I should throw in the THIRD least interesting character (Pod). It had to be intentional, something this terrible doesn't just happen naturally.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Sansa is the most interesting characters in the series. Dany is the least interesting.

Brienne's chapters drag in places, but are drat good in others. There would be less complaining if we didn't know where Sansa was while Brienne was looking for her, and the pointless poo poo about Crabby Dick was cut out.

Also, it was cool to finally see what kind of a dick Randyl Tarly really is. A huge one. A huge dick.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Hey now, don't rag on the Pod :colbert: And Brienne's not that bad, she's just another Ned, and it's unfortunate that she got saddled with such a boring storyline.

I seriously don't get how Dany's not in your bottom 3.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

298298 posted:

I don't think it could be unintentional that he managed to choose the least interesting character of the series (Brienne) to wander around searching for the second least interesting character (Sansa) and then decide hey I should throw in the THIRD least interesting character (Pod). It had to be intentional, something this terrible doesn't just happen naturally.

gently caress you, ser. I mean, my lady.

Aug 14, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Dany didn't start feeling boring until the last two books to me though, wherever she was before that had Jorah and he made her more interesting by proximity.

Can't hold the last two books against anyone really, he even managed to make Tyrion boring.

I'm still reading, but after finishing the first 3 books in a week I think I'm just going to go a chapter a day while crying in the shower.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

298298 posted:

Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Nothing happening?
Nothing? Anything?

If you just read the summaries, you missed the best part. Namely, Cersei launching her two-pronged invasion of the Myrish Swamp. :colbert:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

And more importantly, licking up sticky princes :pervert: And the Fat Pink Mast.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

So I haven't read this thread since I finished ADWD, but when is the next book coming out? Surely GRRM must have said something, it's been a whole year :smith:

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Never.

P. S.: Last update about it in his not a blog was in May. More importantly, apparently Iain Glen will be making an audiobook version of "Dying of the Light", The GRRM's first foray into the novelist world. Any gurmy content in this one? The number of awkward boners people would achieve thanks to Mr. Glen's beautiful voice and GRRM's prose would be something to behold.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

whowhatwhere posted:

Nobody said gin. We're all vodka-drinkers here.

Absolut Fucker.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Unnamed One posted:

P. S.: Last update about it in his not a blog was in May. More importantly, apparently Iain Glen will be making an audiobook version of "Dying of the Light", The GRRM's first foray into the novelist world. Any gurmy content in this one? The number of awkward boners people would achieve thanks to Mr. Glen's beautiful voice and GRRM's prose would be something to behold.
gently caress, now I have to listen to it and pretend I'm in Jorah's arms. Iain Glen :swoon:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

IRQ posted:

I don't own a single hat, thank you. And if I did, it wouldn't be a loving fedora.

The mental image of you in any hat whatsoever is hilarious. I can't stop giggling.

Junkenstein posted:

Absolut Fucker.

Bravo.

Contra Calculus posted:

Fixed that for you.

edit: Actually, now that I think about it, this just describes George and anyone like George.

But George doesn't even wear a fedora. He has one of those old man golf hat things.

I read this thread backwards. :colbert:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 22, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

I need to have ASOIAF sex scenes read by Gilbert Gottfried or I can't even get it up.

:frogsiren: I NEED AN ADULT!

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

The Unnamed One posted:

Never.

Once, not long after finishing ASOS and beginning the torturous wait for AFFC, I found a copy of The Dying of the Light in a used book store for 50 cents. I bought it because I wanted to read something else that GRRM had written.

I opened it when I got home and realized that at some point in its history, this little paperback had been signed by the GRRM. The book itself was awful; it was about some space dude that went to a planet so some other dude could brag about the fact that he was loving his ex-wife or something. I put it down about 100 pages in, and even with the autograph, felt that I had overpaid.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

euroboy posted:

So I haven't read this thread since I finished ADWD, but when is the next book coming out? Surely GRRM must have said something, it's been a whole year :smith:

Remember when GRRM used to take two years at a time to publish a book in his beloved series? Yeah, not happening anymore.

So, going by this pattern, you can expect more Dany making GBS threads and Tyrion whining in exactly... 2018 never.

edit: holy poo poo, I was five years old when this series was spawned. George, what does it tell you when I'm now about to get my undergrad degree and your story has barely gone anywhere from the time I was still in my last years of elementary school? I was ten years old when the twin towers went down and nine when Robb Stark was killed. Goddamn.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 22, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
GRRM is a true patriot and couldn't go on writing books after 9/11.

His plaque-coated heart just wasn't in it anymore.

:911:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
And the last two are half books so expect even longer that that.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

whowhatwhere posted:

(Everyone's probably seen it, but if they haven't...you're welcome)

e: It's probably possible with a pretty vicious editor. You'd get about a GoT-sized book out of it, I'd think. But I'd still rather have some of the fluff, like Roose talking about Ramsay's conception.

Thanks to that, I have the sound of Gilbert Gottfried's voice saying "clitoris" burned into my brain forever.

That being said, I would still literally pay the man money to read the best worst parts of ASOIAF. I can just imagine him reading A GLISTENING HODOR's av text. :allears:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

2 years to write ASoS, 11 years to write the (not quite) complete ADwD.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I just realized they could easily make future HBO GoT seasons just cover like 1/2 a book or less rather than a full one.

Jesus, GRRM is really going to die before he finishes the next book....

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

p.crestmont posted:

I just realized they could easily make future HBO GoT seasons just cover like 1/2 a book or less rather than a full one.

Jesus, GRRM is really going to die before he finishes the next book....

Nah, HBO are just going to start making poo poo up from season 5 onward. I truly believe GRRM is just planing on having HBO finish the series for him.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Someone go loving run GRRM down with a van, then. It got King to poo poo out the rest of Dark Tower, after all.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Entire seasons will focus on Ros loving various commoners who expound upon how the war affects them.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The origin story of crabby dick

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

El Hefe posted:

Nah, HBO are just going to start making poo poo up from season 5 onward. I truly believe GRRM is just planing on having HBO finish the series for him.

When this came up earlier, it was pointed out that he has a contract with Bantam that would likely prohibit him from admitting this publicly. I think it's true, though. He apparently told them how it ends.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

Entire seasons will focus on Ros loving various commoners who expound upon how the war affects them.

That's the inevitable spinoff series I think. But what will it be titled?

Ambiguatron posted:

When this came up earlier, it was pointed out that he has a contract with Bantam that would likely prohibit him from admitting this publicly. I think it's true, though. He apparently told them how it ends.

:cry:

At least from what I hear Season 2 is already not following the book so much so maybe there will still be a few surprises when the co-author finishes (writes) the book in 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

savinhill posted:

I drink Hennessy because I listened to too much rap growing up.
Is it true it puts "hurr" on your chest?

So I just realized Damphair is Damp + Hair and now I'm really loving angry for some reason.