Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Not to beat a dead Boulevard horse, and this has nothing to do with Chocolate Ale: I really like Long Strange Tripel. Is The 6th Glass (a Quad) a "stronger" version of a Tripel, or are they vastly different? I've seen very good reviews of the Quad, but don't want to be overpowered by it in comparison to the LST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Not to beat a dead Boulevard horse, and this has nothing to do with Chocolate Ale: I really like Long Strange Tripel. Is The 6th Glass (a Quad) a "stronger" version of a Tripel, or are they vastly different? I've seen very good reviews of the Quad, but don't want to be overpowered by it in comparison to the LST.

Think of a quad as a stronger dubbel. Dark brown, high in alcohol, with 'figgy' kind of flavours. A tripel, on the other hand, is golden in colour and tastes completely different.

Captain Shortbus
May 14, 2011

Thanks! I'll pick one up at some point, but probably won't rush on it. I've got plenty to try before that.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Captain Shortbus posted:

Thanks! I'll pick one up at some point, but probably won't rush on it. I've got plenty to try before that.

You definitely should pick it up. Sixth Glass is excellent.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
1 of my friends who works at a nearby craft brew store gave me 2 full growlers yesterday because he's turning off 1 of his fridges as he makes a trip down to Florida. I asked what was in them but he told me he honestly had no clue. I opened 1 up today to have a sip, and it tasted like chocolate covered cherries :stare:

I'm going to be very drunk tomorrow.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

enthe0s posted:

1 of my friends who works at a nearby craft brew store gave me 2 full growlers yesterday because he's turning off 1 of his fridges as he makes a trip down to Florida. I asked what was in them but he told me he honestly had no clue. I opened 1 up today to have a sip, and it tasted like chocolate covered cherries :stare:

I'm going to be very drunk tomorrow.

Probably the Stone Cherry Chocolate Stout in that bad boy.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

e: double post

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Went to Hoppin' Frog brewery today because they released their Naked barrel aged barleywine. Picked up two bottles. They took me and my buddy's picture by their aging barrels. Pretty cool little operation they got going there (emphasis on little).

Was it busy? I'm making the trip from Toledo to pick up a case on Saturday.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Had a fun beer trip to SoCal again this weekend. Tasting notes of interest:

- Lost Abbey Track 6 is disappointing. Tasted like an alcohol-soaked barrel and nothing else.
- 2012 Bourbon Barrel Angel's Share is similarly disappointing. It's not hot, but tastes like a barrel. Thin mouthfeel. I still bought a few hoping they'd age well.
- 2011 Framboise de Amorosa is sour as hell and delicious, and I really hope the 2012 ages as well.
- The Bruery's Tart of Darkness is loving GREAT this year. There's just enough coffee on the nose it smells like mocha yogurt. It's got great (mostly lacto) sourness. Buy it if you can.
- If you're holding on to a Bruery Burly Gourd, consider drinking it soon. The one I had last night had the perfect balance of cedar and baking spice, with the pumpkin giving a nice vegetal base for everything to hang on. I can't see it getting any better than it is right now.
- Hangar 24 Brewery in Redlands, CA is a nice place to visit. They brew a lot of beers with citrus picked from fields around the town. Essence was the standout to me, a double IPA brewed with blood orange and grapefruit. It lacks the malt backbone I expect from a DIPA, but the citrus presence makes it a very refreshing summer beer. They've bottled a fair bit of it, so if you're in their distribution I'd recommend it.
- Dear Societe Brewing: Why the gently caress were you closed for Father's Day? I went to five other breweries that day and all of them had families there getting Dad some great beer. I wanted a drat stainless steel growler full of (allegedly) delicious Societe beer but no, you had to be closed Sunday-Tuesday. :saddowns:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Tart of Darkness may be distributed nationwide too, hopefully... :allears:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

bartolimu posted:

- Dear Societe Brewing: Why the gently caress were you closed for Father's Day? I went to five other breweries that day and all of them had families there getting Dad some great beer. I wanted a drat stainless steel growler full of (allegedly) delicious Societe beer but no, you had to be closed Sunday-Tuesday. :saddowns:

I think they're going to go 6 days a week once they officially open at the end of the month. They sent out feelers on twitter to see if the public wanted expanded hours; the fact that their two opening day sessions sold out so quickly is a good sign they could justify doing it.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

The SARS Volta posted:

So, guys, which of the Portland, Maine-area breweries are worth a drat? My cousin and I might head up there in August.

The only ones I'm familiar with are Allagash (which has tours; we'll stop there regardless) and Shipyard. The latter distributes in Nebraska but I'm not particularly fond of what we get out here.

Beeradvocate's list:

Hey Maine vacationer!

Allagash is by far the best brewery in town, but the licensing laws here prevent them from "serving" on the brewery premises. They can only do a tasting along with the tour (which I do recommend, it's a really cool facility). You can also buy bottles at the brewery.

Sebago Brewing on Marginal is a nice "brewpub" type setting, where you can sit down for a meal and try their beers. Most of their beers are good.

Gritty's is more of a bar than anything, and the beers are very much "pub style", which is kind of like an English style pale. They have a bitter/staleness that is definitely an acquired taste. Fun place to party at night, but not really the kind of place you'd go for a meal.

Most of those others are just breweries and might have a tour, but do not serve. You can get their beers in most stores around town. I recommend RSVP on Forest Ave, as they have the best beer selection I've found yet.

If you actaully want to sit down and just have a great beer and/or food, I recommend Novare Res in the Old Port area. It's a beer bar with a large rotating tap selection, usually featuring rare/awesome/interesting beers. And the best part, literally hundreds of awesome Belgians and others in bottles.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Corbet posted:

Was it busy? I'm making the trip from Toledo to pick up a case on Saturday.

Not at all. Well, I mean there were some dudes busy making beer but that's it.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

The SARS Volta posted:

So, guys, which of the Portland, Maine-area breweries are worth a drat? My cousin and I might head up there in August.

i was waiting for the Portland goon to answer. can't speak to the actual breweries, but i've had a fair share of their beers. if you're looking for bottles, Maine Beer Company and Rising Tide make some really good beers and have really limited distribution, so check them out. Sebago makes some decent stuff, too, but Shipyard, Gritty's, Geary, Peak, and Bull Jagger haven't impressed me. never had any Freeport or Casco Bay, but after three years of trading with a Mainer, they must either be weak or they don't bottle.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Those guys all bottle, but you are right, they are mostly unimpressive. Shipyard is a standard on-tap, and their Monkey Fist IPA is decent.

Maine Brewing Co's Lunch IPA is very good, if you see it in stores. Rising Tide is also really easy to find in stores, and they run about $7/bomber.

If you find yourself able to get out of Portland, Oxbow brewing makes some great beers but they don't bottle. They're about 90 minutes of scenic driving north of Portland, and are currently open for tours and growler fills on Friday afternoons.

Baxter brewing also has really good IPA, though I'm sure the brewery is just an anonymous industrial facility. It's in all the stores, easy to find.

CalvinDooglas fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 21, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CalvinDooglas posted:

Baxter brewing also has really good IPA, though I'm sure the brewery is just an anonymous industrial facility. It's in all the stores, easy to find.

Was going to chime in with this if you didn't. Had some when I was visiting the in-laws for Christmas and it was drat tasty, and IIRC they only can their beers which is kind of a novelty in New England (and good for hoppy beers).

I had New Belgium's latest Lips of Faith, "Brett Beer" collaboration with Lost Abbey. It tastes more or less as you might expect, and I really enjoyed it. Very "Belgian"... flowery, fruity, phenolic. Idiots on ratebeer seem riled up that it's not very sour, but there was no bacteria involved and brett on its own doesn't create a super sour beer. If you go into it expecting a funky take on a Belgian tripel, I think you'll be pleased.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

wattershed posted:

I think they're going to go 6 days a week once they officially open at the end of the month. They sent out feelers on twitter to see if the public wanted expanded hours; the fact that their two opening day sessions sold out so quickly is a good sign they could justify doing it.

I knew they were closed Mon/Tue (and that's pretty common even among established SD breweries). They have Sunday hours on their website, though, and I went down to try their beer at opening time. The signs on the door said they were closed specifically because it was Father's Day. Which is bunk. At least put something on the website so people don't show up for a big beer-drinking day. That's all I'm saying.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

bartolimu posted:

I knew they were closed Mon/Tue (and that's pretty common even among established SD breweries). They have Sunday hours on their website, though, and I went down to try their beer at opening time. The signs on the door said they were closed specifically because it was Father's Day. Which is bunk. At least put something on the website so people don't show up for a big beer-drinking day. That's all I'm saying.

Oh, I thought they were normally closed Sundays. Yeah, that's kinda lovely, I hear you there.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Sipping a Troegs Perpetual IPA right now bottled June 8. Really like the delicate combo of sweetness, dank hop, and grapefruit/citrus flavor. Finishes crisp and super easy to drink. The aroma is great, has floral, pine, citrus, and a little spice. Doesn't taste like 7.5% at all either!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Ruination 10th Anniversary is bitter. But it turns sweet before the bitterness sits again. Very interesting and at $8 a bomber, a pretty solid deal. Recommended even though a guy on BA described it as such: "Pours a crystal clear amberish-orange color..." Sigh.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Speaking of bitter, Ballast Point's Dorado Double IPA is loving bitter as hell. I'm not sure I much like it either. Tons of heavy handed grapefruit and bitterness. I suppose if you like Green Flash's IPAs you'd like this.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I finally had Troëgs Flying Mouflan tonight. Holy drat, this might actually supplant SN Bigfoot as my favorite barleywine style for dudes who aren't super into barleywine styles.

Auxiliary notes: Sly Fox Royal Weisse is a perfectly tasty unfiltered wheat beer, though unexceptional. I drove by their new brewery in Pottstown, about ten minutes from my parents' house, recently, and though their tasting room isn't open yet, it was still very exciting to see the big tanks and fancy signs and all that.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Manky posted:

I finally had Troëgs Flying Mouflan tonight. Holy drat, this might actually supplant SN Bigfoot as my favorite barleywine style for dudes who aren't super into barleywine styles.

Auxiliary notes: Sly Fox Royal Weisse is a perfectly tasty unfiltered wheat beer, though unexceptional. I drove by their new brewery in Pottstown, about ten minutes from my parents' house, recently, and though their tasting room isn't open yet, it was still very exciting to see the big tanks and fancy signs and all that.

I had a year old Flying Mouflan and enjoyed it, I still need to get a bottle this year, though it's in no short supply. Sly Fox's Royal Weisse is really good though, I picked it up last year for $5.99 for a 6 pack and loved it, now it's $7.99 and it's still really good.

I just did a trade for some Ohio stuff and he threw some New Glarus leftovers he had, including a 4 month old Moon Man pale ale. I really like it it's very tropical, but I can tell it's missing a lot due to the age. I really want to try this fresh.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

I had a year old Flying Mouflan and enjoyed it,

I'm definitely going to pick up another bottle of this year's Mouflan or two. I have a feeling that the rough edges on it would be gone with a year or two of aging.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

CalvinDooglas posted:

Maine Maine Maine :words:

There we go. Thanks man! (And everyone else). Most of the week that I'll be in New England will be spent in suburban Boston, which I visit about once a year; stops at bars like Redbones in Somervile and the Horseshoe Pub in Hudson (very close to one of my cousin's houses) are common, so I make a point to try as much new stuff as possible.

I also realized we will be driving through Portsmouth, NH to get to Maine, and therefore will be near Redhook. I'm not a fan of their beers, but I've heard good stories about the tours* at their suburban Seattle brewery. Anyone been to the Portsmouth brewery?

*(You get to drink a lot. This would obviously be a stop on the way back.)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I had Habanero Sculpin out west once and it wasn't awful but... mint in an IPA? Just does not sound pleasant :barf:

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Oaked Arrogant Bastard reminded me of a hoppy mint ale, I wasn't too fond of it.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
So I have the fortune of spending 3 months in San Diego for work from July through September, and I plan on checking out as many breweries as I can. Other than the obvious choices (Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash, Mission), what are some others in the surrounding areas that you guys would recommend checking out? I think Alpine is fairly close. I've also heard Pizza Port is pretty awesome. Also, what are some good west coast beers to look out for while I'm there?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Where should I drink in Pittsburgh tonight?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Toebone posted:

Where should I drink in Pittsburgh tonight?

Hough's.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

So I have the fortune of spending 3 months in San Diego for work from July through September, and I plan on checking out as many breweries as I can. Other than the obvious choices (Stone, Ballast Point, Green Flash, Mission), what are some others in the surrounding areas that you guys would recommend checking out? I think Alpine is fairly close. I've also heard Pizza Port is pretty awesome. Also, what are some good west coast beers to look out for while I'm there?

Lost Abbey/Port, Societe, Alesmith are the others that immediately come to mind for me. Will you have transportation? That makes getting to some places much easier - there's not exactly a train or trolley service that'll get you to Lost Abbey/Port or Alpine.

I can't even start on which beers to specifically check out; you'd best be served realizing which beers you can't get in your area right now and seeking those out, as many of the places here distribute all over the country. Alpine, for example, doesn't really distribute out of the area so if nothing else, make sure you load up on their swill when you have the chance.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I'm going to Monk's Cafe today for a beer before a concert and am not very familiar with some beers there. Are there any must-haves that I should go for?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Took a half-day before taking off tonight on vacation, giving myself enough time to stop by my local haunt for lunch and beers... Goddam is Belgian Yeti great. Especially on tap...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Midorka posted:

I'm going to Monk's Cafe today for a beer before a concert and am not very familiar with some beers there. Are there any must-haves that I should go for?

that tap list is two months old, sorry, but the bottle list is ridiculous.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I didn't see last updated, the bottle list is probably pretty old as well Hellhound still on it. I guess I'll just stick with something I know when I get there.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
http://www.phillytapfinder.com/#bar-monks-cafe-

Few days od, but i'd get that Bear Republic Double Apex or the Allagash Old HLT if they still have em.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, I looked on Untappd and Double Apex looks like it may still be there. Definitely go for that since it's only at a handful of bars across the US. Tilquin Gueuze is awesome too, and try that if they've got a 375ml bottle.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

wattershed posted:

Lost Abbey/Port, Societe, Alesmith are the others that immediately come to mind for me. Will you have transportation? That makes getting to some places much easier - there's not exactly a train or trolley service that'll get you to Lost Abbey/Port or Alpine.

I can't even start on which beers to specifically check out; you'd best be served realizing which beers you can't get in your area right now and seeking those out, as many of the places here distribute all over the country. Alpine, for example, doesn't really distribute out of the area so if nothing else, make sure you load up on their swill when you have the chance.

Thanks. I'll add those to the list. And I will have a car while I'm out there, so I'll be able to get around easily. I'm hoping to get a friend from work who lives out there to be my DD as much as possible though so I can try as many things as I can without killing someone in the process.

I live in DC (well, Arlington), and I think the only ones that distribute out here are the ones I listed in my last post as well as Coronado Brewing Company, oddly enough. There could be a few others from the San Diego area that I've just overlooked, but does that help in singling out any great beers/breweries in particular? I go for IPAs most often, but there's no style I dislike, so even if there's an exceptional porter or something that I should try, I'd like to hear about it.

I'll also be staying in the Hillcrest/Mission Hills/Bankers Hill area, so if there are any recommended bars in that area that'd be helpful too.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

cryme posted:

http://www.phillytapfinder.com/#bar-monks-cafe-

Few days od, but i'd get that Bear Republic Double Apex or the Allagash Old HLT if they still have em.

Thanks for this, I'll be getting either if they have it still!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Midorka posted:

Thanks for this, I'll be getting either if they have it still!

That bottle list up on the page isn't really as detailed as what they actually have.

See if they have any of the collaboration they did with Cantillon. I'm not talking about Monk's Sour which Van Steenberge makes for them, I'm talking about Cuvee De Monk's Gueuze or something like that. Like any Cantillon product, it's damned good, and it's not something you're going to see hardly anywhere else.