Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Not an Owl posted:

How do you register a win? I beat the game and tweeted #victory along with an imgur picture for proof, but it's not confirming that I beat the game yet.

It's a bit of a delay because those are confirmed manually rather than autoresponse Gilgabot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I'm still waiting for him to process mine, too.

And then when that's done, I've gotta upload the pics of me having killed Shinryu and tweet that.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

And that's that. Talk about skin of my teeth. Berserkers really screw up battles where you have to keep multiple targets at roughly the same health.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Wait, North America doesn't get a Theatrhythm demo? Why do you hate us NoA? :smith:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So...the Omniscient fight was hilarious. The two people I sent that way both had Black and Summon, so it was only a matter of Carbuncle-ing, and then spamming Firaga until he Flare'd himself and died.

Fighting the Minotaur with a Ranger/Chemist combo wasn't as easy, but seeing him about to cast Holy and then die due to lack of MP made me laugh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ugh. UGH. Neo Exdeath is just killing me right now. Between Exdeath's White Hole :suicide: and his occasional spam of Meteor, I'm lucky if I can keep my characters alive into the second phase.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MrAristocrates posted:

Ugh. UGH. Neo Exdeath is just killing me right now. Between Exdeath's White Hole :suicide: and his occasional spam of Meteor, I'm lucky if I can keep my characters alive into the second phase.

Do you have people who can wear the Aegis Shield? It blocks Petrification, which blocks the entirety of White Hole.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kyrosiris posted:

Do you have people who can wear the Aegis Shield? It blocks Petrification, which blocks the entirety of White Hole.

I have a Samurai and a Berserker. Unfortunately, I missed the first shield.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MrAristocrates posted:

I have a Samurai and a Berserker. Unfortunately, I missed the first shield.

Ouch. :( I'd give it to the Samurai in that case, then. You may also just need to grind some levels to up your offense.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Xad posted:

Fighting the Minotaur with a Ranger/Chemist combo wasn't as easy, but seeing him about to cast Holy and then die due to lack of MP made me laugh.
I thought he always does that?

I was going to join the Fiesta, but somebody posted that hack that tweaked the job system and included the GBA jobs, so I checked that out instead since I've only played FFV once before with the fan-translation (Jikuu magic? Hiryuus? The game definitely benefits from being professionally translated). The hack gives you a job ability and three open slots, which opens up some interesting combos and can leave you potentially screwed out of being able to attack if you're not careful. Some of the abilities got switched around, which was frustrating when I discoved !Rapid-fire had been moved to Samurai and Gladiators and removed from Rangers after Bartz spent most of the game as a Ranger. The redundancy is a little irritating (you can learn !rapid-fire, dual-wield and ABP up twice in the hack).

Having early access to the GBA jobs doesn't change things up too much, although getting Dancer at the very beginning is pretty broken- my white mage would out-damage my knight sometimes.

Necromancer never got used because I never killed any of the required monsters, which aren't available until late-game anyway. The only skills you can use, then are !Oath (summons a demon?) and Undead, but why waste the AP on them?

Oracle sounds like a neat idea on paper but was totally useless aside from getting ABP Up (which in the hack is also on White Mages, which is just silly) because all of their magic uses a counter before activating. Battles would go by so fast I only saw one cast of Condemn go off, which did middling damage, and half the time Condemn wouldn't stick to bosses, where it would be potentially useful. If it weren't for the high magic bonus and Read Ahead (lowers encounter rate), they'd be a total waste.

Gladiator is a bit like the Dragoon, a heavy armored, heavy hitting class whose unique skills are a bit odd and fun to play with but aren't terribly useful. !Finisher does critical damage to one target but has a low hit-rate, and !Bladeblitz is basically !Kick but with a weapon. At least Gladiators look cool. Lure (I think) increases the encounter rate, which could be useful for grinding more quickly, but it alters the RNG, making it so you can't use quicksaving to cheat you way to fighting Movers ever other battle in the Void.

Cannoneers are my favorite class, not because they're useful (which they are) but because of their costumes. They get EXP Up, which in the hack is also on Magic Knights (again, silly) and !Combine, which is more limited than !Mix in that it's pretty strictly offensive and doesn't do all the weird stuff !Mix does, but is still fun to mess around with and can help inflict statuses on bosses, if you can figure out the right combo. !Open Fire isn't very useful in the endgame (simply because it only hits one target once) but when you get it early it becomes a great ability for a supportive character like a chemist or time-mage. The damage ignores defense and inflicts some statuses like instant death or confusion if the right attack is used. There's really no downside to it, it's free, packs a solid punch and let my time-mage/chemist help out with random encounters from the backrow.

It was a fun hack, but it really only made the game easier to break wide open. The extra jobs are fun, but for the majority of the game you'll still rely on your bread and butter stuff like dual-wield and boosted summons.

EDIT: Also, if you give Galuf an Advanced-only job, he's got his Freelancer sprite in the menu and is invisible in battle. Poor Galuf, he doesn't get a giant hat or a death-mask. :(

Zonko_T.M. fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 22, 2012

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I thought he always does that?

Thought so, but the farthest I've ever been in this game before is Archeoavis :shobon:

Xad fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 22, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

Also, if you give Galuf an Advanced-only job, he's got his Freelancer sprite in the menu and is invisible in battle. Poor Galuf, he doesn't get a giant hat or a death-mask. :(

I've always wondered what happened if you gave Galuf the GBA jobs. Thanks to you, now I know.

Now all we need is our resident artists to give him some new duds.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I've always wondered what happened if you gave Galuf the GBA jobs. Thanks to you, now I know.

Now all we need is our resident artists to give him some new duds.

Someone in a recent thread made a mock-up Gladiator sprite for Galuf, and meanwhile the creator of that hack wants to be able to add sprites for Galuf. If the two of them got together, they might be able to figure it out.

Also, I like how Faris' Necromancer sprite looks like Rita Repulsa.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Miracon posted:

Someone in a recent thread made a mock-up Gladiator sprite for Galuf.

Also, I like how Faris' Necromancer sprite looks like Rita Repulsa.

Got a link?

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. :D

[e]: Thanks.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 23, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Miracon posted:

Someone in a recent thread made a mock-up Gladiator sprite for Galuf, and meanwhile the creator of that hack wants to be able to add sprites for Galuf. If the two of them got together, they might be able to figure it out.

And here's the post in question, for what it's worth.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
And Shaezerus works his/her magic once more.

I'm interested as to how s/he'd interpret the other missing Galuf jobs.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 23, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Exdeath in World 2 is beating me senseless. He eventually traps me in a loop where I spend more time reviving than I do attacking. Bard is starting to become a liability.

I'll probably grind a few levels tomorrow. I'm too angry to keep trying right now, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Other then Bard what jobs do you have?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

White Mage, Berserker, and Dragoon.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
http://www.justin.tv/cube89 Well here I am in World 3 and Nightingale is becoming less and less effective for healing... I think I have many a real test ahead of me!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Moldy Taxes posted:

White Mage, Berserker, and Dragoon.

I imagine you're giving everyone White Magic secondary, and having your White Mage spam healing while the rest put up Shell, followed by Protect (probably ignoring the character with Condemned since they're a goner anyway)? But yeah, that fight's a bitch.

So it's sort of interesting using the Job Fair values to give a numerical ranking to teams. My previous team of Blue Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer ranks in at $11, while my current team of Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief gets a rather middling $9...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I imagine you're giving everyone White Magic secondary, and having your White Mage spam healing while the rest put up Shell, followed by Protect (probably ignoring the character with Condemned since they're a goner anyway)? But yeah, that fight's a bitch.

Yeah pretty much, but what has been getting me is that he'll occasionally counter my Berserker's attacks with Dispel faster than I can set buffs back up. And once he kills someone, whether via Doom or just damage, it's incredibly difficult to get them back up, healed, and buffed before he targets them again. Especially my Bard, holy poo poo. If he casts both his spells on them, they're dead no matter what they do.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
As much as I hate to derail FFVChat, they've announced a new expansion to FFXI. Seekers of Adoulin. Comes with two new jobs, one yet to be announced. Geomancer and what appears to be Mystic Knight.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

So it's sort of interesting using the Job Fair values to give a numerical ranking to teams. My previous team of Blue Mage/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dancer ranks in at $11, while my current team of Knight/Mystic Knight/Berserker/Thief gets a rather middling $9...

According to that, my team of Blue Mage/Thief/Beastmaster/Beastmaster was worth $7, even though I had less trouble with it than a previous White Mage/Summoner/Bard/Chemist fiesta it estimates is worth $15. :confused:

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

Schwartzcough posted:

No shocker, but good old Monk/Thief/Monk/Monk comes in at a sexy $4. I'm at the end of World 1 and I think it's time for a little absurd grinding whenever I get the motivation.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hedera Helix posted:

According to that, my team of Blue Mage/Thief/Beastmaster/Beastmaster was worth $7, even though I had less trouble with it than a previous White Mage/Summoner/Bard/Chemist fiesta it estimates is worth $15. :confused:

Chemist and Bard a very awesome jobs with powerful buffing skills. Blue Mage, while strong, is a lot trickier. In all honesty, Beastmaster should probably be worth more if paired with Blue Mage. He just needs to up the cost of both if you combine them!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Just won with Thief/Summoner/Bard/Chemist, aka Team Overpowered. After the initial Thief section the game was basically a cakewalk. Summoner was my main damage output through world 1, chemist through world 2, and bard of all things (Apollo Harp + Dragon's Kiss :black101:) through world 3. On the other hand, thief was the all-star for random battles since it let me skip any of them that I didn't feel like loving with.

Neo Exdeath was really trivialized by bard and chemist (and by chemist, I mean !Mix on every single party member). He got a grand total of zero named moves (and a physical attack or two) off on me before dying.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Okay, this is a really stupid question, but how the gently caress do I submerge the airship in world 3? I'm trying to get into the cave by Istory Falls and I can not figure out how to submerge, just go from air to on the water.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Have you landed the airship in the catapult again after beating Fork Tower?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Okay, this is a really stupid question, but how the gently caress do I submerge the airship in world 3? I'm trying to get into the cave by Istory Falls and I can not figure out how to submerge, just go from air to on the water.

Get the second tablet from the island shrine to unlock the fork tower. Finish the fork tower to make it disappear and give you access to the catapult again. Find Cid in the catapult, and he'll upgrade your airship to have the option of turning into a sub. (When on the ocean surface, hit A, then choose the flashing up - airship - or down - submarine - arrow and hit A again.)

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

No. Ugh, I have to do that first? I don't have a Reflect Ring for Omniscient, because I didn't have a Thief or the Thief Knife to steal any earlier, and I couldn't manage to kill the Reflect Knights.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 23, 2012

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Safari Disco Lion posted:

No. Ugh, I have to do that first? I don't have a Reflect Ring for Omniscient, because I didn't have a Thief or the Thief Knife to steal any earlier, and I couldn't manage to kill them.

You can get the Theif Knife in Phantom Village, and steal Reflect Rings from Lemure in Phoenix Tower.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Holy crap, I did it! :dance: I hope just this picture is enough, my pictures of each character's stat thing at the end got screwed up and I only have Faris and Bartz.

It only took a few tries, but I ended up getting SUPER lucky. I had Fire Rings on everyone so I could have some form of easy group healing. Barts also had an Aegis Shield, and Faris took the Bone Mail. Yes, that's Faris and Lenna zombie'd, which was hilarious because Lenna had the Magus Staff, and her melee attacks would heal whoever she hit, and Faris had the Fire Whip, doing the same but randomly. They ended up soaking a ton of damage for me while Bartz used Zeninage until I ran out of money and Flare after, and Krile just spammed Meteor.

I started with the Magic Lamp to instakill the one bit. I was going to save the bottom part for last to use Break on, but then I got super lucky/unlucky and in using the Lamp a few more times for Carbuncle and Golem, it petrified that part, so I had the upper two. I decided to keep going and just damaged them as hard as I could, and ended up killing him on my third try.

This was a hell of a lot of fun, and like I thought, the extra challenge was how I paid enough attention to the game to see it through. Definitely re-registering.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Ugh, I'm not having nearly as much luck. First time ExDeath used Meteo to kill off two characters and leave a third almost dead just before my Berserker (who was fine, by the way!) landed the killing blow. NeoExdeath finished me off in seconds. After that, I've just been having terrible luck with Grandcross. This last time, it killed two people outright and left my Thief confused to keep hitting my Berserker (who was fine, by the way! Actually she was poisoned). Then Exdeath killed my thief and that was that. Or the time it condemned everybody but one, then he double Vac-Waved that person when everyone else's counter was at 01. What a dick. The one time I left the bottom portion alive for petrifying last, it used Almagest for a total party wipe from full health, and this is with hearty jobs like Berserker and Knight at level 34. 1600+ damage to everyone. gently caress.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 23, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, unless you have access to Shell, Almagest will hit between 1580 and 1818 damage (doubled if you're wearing Bone Mail), meaning if you want enough wiggle room to throw an Elixir before the HP Leak kills you, you basically need like 1900+ HP on everyone.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
Wound up with White Mage/Berserker/Summoner/Monk. Not challenging at all really. I'm in World 2 right now, trying to pick up the Staff of Light from Metamorph. It's kind of a pain.

White Mage really is the best Wind Crystal, even early on during the terrible early game. You basically can't die, and that's a guarantee. Cure gets you through the Ship Graveyard without a hitch, Protect gets you through Garula, and Silence stops Magissa.

Berserker is a minor annoyance, especially with bosses that require specific targets to be hit over others (see: sandworm). Sends out a lot of damage, and instant death has treated me well.

Summoner makes the game easy and is stupid good. Damage is through the roof while holding rods, and Golem makes it easy to survive. The only challenge is keeping up your mana. The rest of the game is won.

Monk is pretty eh at this point in the game.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVnCubUqEIA&feature=youtu.be

I feel kind of bad about this...

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

Wait, how do you time that so it hits? :aaa:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hedera Helix posted:

Wait, how do you time that so it hits? :aaa:

Looks like he's timing it off the Doom timer. I wish I had a save there so I could confirm that, but holy poo poo that's awesome

e: baseless conjecture that's wrong

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

:aaaaa:

And I learn something new for my next playthrough...

As far as trying to fight Shinryu or Omega, Shin is the easier of the two right? What general tips could someone give on how to tackle them? I know I could just level up to 60-70 to just plow through them but is there any strategy to beating them at lower levels?