Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

give me thread posted:

I have not encountered this problem but then I haven't updated CM9 since end of May -- 21020531. What version are you on? Also I'm on maguro so might be a different phone to yours.
I'm on Maguro too and I tried 20120616 and 20120618 and it happened on both. Ended up reverting to stock for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Hey cool dudes, anyone know how to apply themes in AOKP theme chooser? I keep getting a "This theme is improperly compiled" error. I gather that you are supposed to apply the system theme and reboot, then select the theme you wanna use. Well I've done that, five times, same error. Anything else I can do?

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I'm on Maguro too and I tried 20120616 and 20120618 and it happened on both. Ended up reverting to stock for now.
Hmm, might have to give today's build a try if I get the chance tomorrow and we'll see if I get the same problem. I'm going away for a week though so can't guarantee an answer soon. Sorry!

Meanwhile, maybe one of your apps was messing things up?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

give me thread posted:

Hmm, might have to give today's build a try if I get the chance tomorrow and we'll see if I get the same problem. I'm going away for a week though so can't guarantee an answer soon. Sorry!

Meanwhile, maybe one of your apps was messing things up?
Well I did read after the fact that Better Battery Stats is what causes the statusbar to appear completely empty (no widget, no notifications) when you wake it from sleep. They're so close to an RC that I'll probably just wait until then to try again, but I have to say that I had a lot better experience over the weekend on the whole than I did last time I tried it in early May.

No wifi wakelocks that I experienced.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Well I did read after the fact that Better Battery Stats is what causes the statusbar to appear completely empty (no widget, no notifications) when you wake it from sleep. They're so close to an RC that I'll probably just wait until then to try again, but I have to say that I had a lot better experience over the weekend on the whole than I did last time I tried it in early May.

No wifi wakelocks that I experienced.
Well for what it's worth I installed it about two hours ago and have been testing notifications with SMS and WhatsApp. They seem to be working fine and the LED flashes when it's supposed to flash. I have my LED settings set up through the Settings>Display>Pulse Notification Light area with custom values set. I think this overrides any app-related settings.

Have you checked in case there was a setting in the Settings>Sound>Quite Hours area that enables/disables this stuff as well? The setting is called 'Disable Notification Light' I think.

Also regarding Better Battery Stats -- I've been using this since I rooted and haven't had any issues with the status bar disappearing.

Sorry for the bad news. I don't even know what else to recommend that might help you. Sounds like a dodgy app you might have installed at some point. I bet it was that goon Scott Ferguson's!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

give me thread posted:

Well for what it's worth I installed it about two hours ago and have been testing notifications with SMS and WhatsApp. They seem to be working fine and the LED flashes when it's supposed to flash. I have my LED settings set up through the Settings>Display>Pulse Notification Light area with custom values set. I think this overrides any app-related settings.

Have you checked in case there was a setting in the Settings>Sound>Quite Hours area that enables/disables this stuff as well? The setting is called 'Disable Notification Light' I think.

Also regarding Better Battery Stats -- I've been using this since I rooted and haven't had any issues with the status bar disappearing.

Sorry for the bad news. I don't even know what else to recommend that might help you. Sounds like a dodgy app you might have installed at some point. I bet it was that goon Scott Ferguson's!
Yeah the LED notifications seemed to work fine then they'd just stop. Like I'd be in a slow-moving GTalk conversation and every time a new message would come in the LED would come on. Then it just didn't once.

I had the same thing happen with GMail where it was working fine with a quick moving thread and then it just stopped. When I woke up I noticed there was another new GTalk notification but the light wasn't on so that's when I reverted.

Whenever I tested it though it appeared to work fine.

As for the statusbar disappearing, it was happening pretty much every time I woke the phone. If I pulled it without unlocking it, the bar would be entirely blank, no notifications, no signal indicators, no widget, until I woke the phone and waited for a few seconds.

Edit: I'll probably try it again soon if no one else is seeing the missed notification LED. Went ahead and did a full wipe install of the latest nightly 20120619 (no change over 0618). I did not install Better Battery Stats at any point with this build. It appears the notification LED is still unreliable for me as twice I woke the phone to see a Talk notification up top but no light was on. This was over the course of several Talk conversations where the light worked perfectly the rest of the time. I'm going to try to stick with CM9 for a bit just to try it out otherwise but I'd still like to know if others are having no issue with the notification LED.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 20, 2012

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
Hey, dudes. Any way of getting the sound from my phone to car speakers through the dock? I flashed miui this week and now it doesn't seem to work.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and an original Samsung car dock.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Not sure if this needs rooted buy my aunt gave me her older Verizon Galaxy Tab. I'm looking to just make it a regular wifi tab that won't attempt to connect to Verizon's network (possibly garnering an unwanted bill). Any good way to go about this or is there a setting in the rooted OS to remove the 3G, and I should root it.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Just disable the mobile network in the control panel. Also, if that tab is not actively attached to a Verizon account it won't be able to connect to Verizon's towers in a useful fashion anyway.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Is there a consensus on what is the 'best' ROM for a rooted Bionic? I had an OG droid and ran Bugless Beast on it. I need something that gives me more than 4 hours of battery life ideally. I live in a 4G market, so having the 4G radio work would be nice too.

Should I just bide my time for ICS, or is there a usable ICS ROM floating around out there?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So, a question on ROMs for the SGSIII.
The international and the US versions have different SoCs, so obviously the ROMs wouldn't be cross compatible.
But within the US versions they differ only according to radios. Some have LTE, some have CDMA, etc. But the radios are a separate flash on most ROMs. Are US ROMs going to be compatible with any US SGSIII?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
So I've got one of those fancy-schmancy Google TV's (Sony running Honeycomb 3.1) and it has some issues. Forced uninstallable apps and the lack of market support is killing me. GTVBox is decent as a media player, but I want full market access and was wondering if that was possible via rooting the TV.

Is rooting a Google TV even possible/feasible/doable at this point?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

So, a question on ROMs for the SGSIII.
The international and the US versions have different SoCs, so obviously the ROMs wouldn't be cross compatible.
But within the US versions they differ only according to radios. Some have LTE, some have CDMA, etc. But the radios are a separate flash on most ROMs. Are US ROMs going to be compatible with any US SGSIII?

It'll probably be like the Galaxy S variants (Captivate, Fascinate, etc) which were more or less the same hardware with different radios, so a huge amount of work could be shared between the devices but each still had a separate firmware. Improvements to one device could easily apply to all four.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is there a launcher or rom out there that imitates the Metro UI of Windows Phone? I want to mess around with it because I like the simple and clean look of that interface.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is there a launcher or rom out there that imitates the Metro UI of Windows Phone? I want to mess around with it because I like the simple and clean look of that interface.

Launcher7

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ilkhan posted:

It's a little more than just radios. The carriers have a tendency, especially in the CDMA world, to demand framework-level changes to Android (MMS and VVM handling, among other things) to better fit with their network, or some crap. So no, chances are ROMs won't be cross-compatible.

On the other hand, because the SGS3 does exist with relatively few variations on a number of carriers, and furthermore, Krait is a very popular SoC for 2012 devices in the US market, the hope is that source-based ROMs (CM, AOKP, etc.) will be able to share lots of code and fixes across devices.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I recently got off my rear end and updated my Sensation 4G to the stock, but rooted from here. I'm enjoying ICS on it, but man is my battery life is pretty crappy now, nothing has changed with my usage. I also get popups several times a day saying my phone is up to date, I have it under settings to not check for updates. Has anyone run into any kind of problems? I really don't want to mess with the custom ROMs, I did that on my N1 and eventually got bored with changing all of the time.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

klosterdev posted:

So I've got one of those fancy-schmancy Google TV's (Sony running Honeycomb 3.1) and it has some issues. Forced uninstallable apps and the lack of market support is killing me. GTVBox is decent as a media player, but I want full market access and was wondering if that was possible via rooting the TV.

Is rooting a Google TV even possible/feasible/doable at this point?

You should be able to update to 3.2 at this point, and Google Play should be on the device already. If it isn't try a factory data reset?

Also, you can easily sideload apps by using Dropbox or getting adb from the SDK and 'adb install' your apks.

As far as rooting/removing uninstallable apps you _may_ have options but I've yet to try them:
http://blog.gtvhacker.com/2012/root-for-sony-google-tv-with-unsigned-kernels/

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Glimm posted:

As far as rooting/removing uninstallable apps you _may_ have options but I've yet to try them:
http://blog.gtvhacker.com/2012/root-for-sony-google-tv-with-unsigned-kernels/

quote:

We recommend this update to everyone as it only requires 4 USB sticks and is a 100% softmod (No soldering required!).
Four USB sticks :pwn:

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Yeah.. modifying GoogleTV doesn't seem very safe at the moment.

Luckily it doesn't sound like klosterdev really needs to root it to do what they want. Kind of annoying to have uninstallable apps but they can at least be hidden with a 3rd party launcher.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Hey so I installed Cm7.2 the other day on my G2 for shits and giggles. Here are some thoughts.

~ICS transitions backported and are pretty smooth.
~The last Cm7 approved (20110828) gapps package made my phone bootloop for some reason.
~Wifi reception seems worse than it did on Cm7.1 which wasn't exactly great. We're talking about 60dbm before vs 80dbm after from exactly the same spot. What the gently caress.
~Camera seems to boot up a bit faster.
~They're still shipping the rom with Spare Parts and the ever crash prone Rom Manager which immediately poo poo itself on first boot.

Oh wait that's like virtually all the changes that have been made that are immediately apparent. Good job guys, that only took 10 months. I guess those issues with the GSM Galaxy S 1's emergency calls have been fixed too so that's good.

I'm really underwhelmed, even if the transition effects are pretty sweet. Having Gapps package being totally broken is a real pisser, but nothing that can't be worked around. Wifi reception has slowly gotten worse with every release of CM since 6.1 so that's no surprise, if really goddamn irritating.

I suppose since this was in development concurrently with CM9 I shouldn't be surprised at all about the minimal changes. Though I suppose ADB via network is really snazzy, I can't recall an instance where I've used ADB for a single thing other than rebooting to recovery when installing the DZ Hboot.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 20, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A new nightly CM9, another day where I wake up with no LED notification light on but a notification in the statusbar. (This time a GMail.)

Worked fine all day with both GMail and Talk. :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

A new nightly CM9, another day where I wake up with no LED notification light on but a notification in the statusbar. (This time a GMail.)

Worked fine all day with both GMail and Talk. :(

Is there a reason you moved on from stock? Just curious?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a reason you moved on from stock? Just curious?
Boredom mostly but I also was hoping to avoid those wifi wakelocks.

I like the statusbar mods like no clock/signal in dBm/battery percentage and my phone spends a majority of its time upside down so I like 180 degree rotation but I can do without either just fine. Volume skip tracks comes in handy at work.

I was mostly just seeing how far along it was coming and except for the unreliable LED notifications it's much better than it was when last I tried it.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I've been out of the loop for a while, and have some questions about the upcoming US release of the Galaxy SIII (mine will be on Verizon).

Will the phone have an unlocked (or unlockable) bootloader? Will it be an easy root (and is there a one-click available yet)?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I've been out of it for a while, what should I be running on my Nook Color? I am running Cm 7.2 RC1 Encore now, and it has been getting slower and slower - it is crawling.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Aatrek posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while, and have some questions about the upcoming US release of the Galaxy SIII (mine will be on Verizon).

Will the phone have an unlocked (or unlockable) bootloader? Will it be an easy root (and is there a one-click available yet)?
Samsung phones aren't locked, but it will probably have a bootloader counter displaying the number of times you've flashed it unless you gently caress with it a little bit. That would potentially void your warranty of course.

It's fairly easy to bypass on the SGSII.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
OK, I had been dicking around with ICS roms on my Droid X, and one of them finally borked it into a bootloop (not even a factory reset was fixing it), and seeing as how I'm getting a new phone soon anyway I figured I'd just SBF to stock, but now I can't get any of them to take. I've got the 30.04 bootloader and I've tried 340, 602, 605, and even 621. They all usually fail at the "send ram download" phase, but then still get the Code Corrupt (or other error) bootloader screen. I've got the latest RSD Lite and drivers from the motosbf page, tried the linux thing with one of them, and I've SBF'ed plenty of times before I don't know what the gently caress. Sorry if this is a bit rambley I've been up all night with this loving thing, praying the battery doesn't die. I don't care about root anymore I just need the thing to work for the next couple weeks.

Most recent error code was A5,70,70,00,1f I think. EDIT: AAaaaand the battery's low. Hopefully I can get a friend to swap with later.

EDIT: Got it to work with the latest sbf_flash and a bootable linux stick. Install Linux, Problem Solved. It was rough going back to my old Curve for the day though.

Chilled Milk fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 23, 2012

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Phummus posted:

Is there a consensus on what is the 'best' ROM for a rooted Bionic? I had an OG droid and ran Bugless Beast on it. I need something that gives me more than 4 hours of battery life ideally. I live in a 4G market, so having the 4G radio work would be nice too.

Should I just bide my time for ICS, or is there a usable ICS ROM floating around out there?

As of right now, for full functionality Eclipse 3.0 seems to be the best, even though it's 'just' a GB ROM. All the ICS ROMs seem to be buggy/unstable/otherwise not good.

Although you may or may not have noticed as of yesterday an official ICS build has been leaked: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/21/another-droid-bionic-ics-build-leaks-this-time-as-version-6-7-2233/

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Does the official ATT SGSII (i777) ICS update wipe the phone during install?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Bob A Feet posted:

Any questions about it, do ask. I was in the same boat as you as far as choosing a tablet.

Neat, so the Kindle Fire now is finally coming into its own. I desperately want to root mine specifically so I can get Chrome as a browser, it is literally the best mobile browser for actual use (shame about Flash).
Anyway, I do use it to watch Prime videos a lot, is this still possible through the web browser on the Kindle Fire after root?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ilkhan posted:

Does the official ATT SGSII (i777) ICS update wipe the phone during install?

Most likely you will lose your installed apps. If you're rooted, just run Titanium Backup (be sure to exclude system apps) for those, and move the backup folder to a PC or send it to cloud storage somehow. I would also make a backup of your pictures and music just in case.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Neat, so the Kindle Fire now is finally coming into its own. I desperately want to root mine specifically so I can get Chrome as a browser, it is literally the best mobile browser for actual use (shame about Flash).
Anyway, I do use it to watch Prime videos a lot, is this still possible through the web browser on the Kindle Fire after root?

As far as I've dealt with flash works with my KF on ICS with the stock android browser.
I have not tried prime videos via web but they are lost in terms of the way the stock kf uses them.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tater_salad posted:

As far as I've dealt with flash works with my KF on ICS with the stock android browser.
I have not tried prime videos via web but they are lost in terms of the way the stock kf uses them.

Yeah, and since that's the one aspect of the stock KF I like (prime videos) its the one thing holding me on stock.

I can use the stock browser on my Galaxy Nexus to watch videos (hd too!) through Amazon's desktop site, which leads me to believe it can be done on the kindle fire after its running ICS as well. Although the KF doesn't have the same horsepower as the Galaxy Nexus and I'm not sure how much of an effect that will have on it.

EDIT
I can't help myself. I was waiting on hardware acceleration before I made the move to ICS on the kindle fire, and now that its here I went ahead and did it. Will report back!

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 22, 2012

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

For anyone with a rooted KF - is there a way to decrease the touchscreen's sensitivity? It's sort of hard to explain but it doesn't take clicks without thinking I'm trying to click and drag something. Two good examples: trying to type and missing letters because it doesn't release over the letter I want, and while using a remote desktop app I can't click on poo poo because when I tap, the mouse pointer immediately moves slightly instead. Any way to tweak this?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mono posted:

For anyone with a rooted KF - is there a way to decrease the touchscreen's sensitivity? It's sort of hard to explain but it doesn't take clicks without thinking I'm trying to click and drag something. Two good examples: trying to type and missing letters because it doesn't release over the letter I want, and while using a remote desktop app I can't click on poo poo because when I tap, the mouse pointer immediately moves slightly instead. Any way to tweak this?

I think that any of the roms wit linro (sp) enhancements allows you to adjust the "footprint " of your touch but I don't think sensitivity can be adjusted.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 22, 2012

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

KakerMix posted:

RootKeeper on my KF will let me stream Amazon Prime videos without any problems. Just have to toggle it to 'disable' or 'hide' root, and it worked without a hitch.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Double posting this here and in the phone thread. I've grabbed a droid charge for free to lock-in my 4G unlimited on Verizon and I've been wondering how it is on the stock firmware and if its worth putting a custom rom/kernel on.

I'm really hoping it is or I can make it so I can just ignore it most of the time and not worry about how much I am using it or turning things on and off and still make it through a day without it dying.

Also it'd be great if it could actually function when I do try to use it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Double posting this here and in the phone thread. I've grabbed a droid charge for free to lock-in my 4G unlimited on Verizon and I've been wondering how it is on the stock firmware and if its worth putting a custom rom/kernel on.

I'm really hoping it is or I can make it so I can just ignore it most of the time and not worry about how much I am using it or turning things on and off and still make it through a day without it dying.

Also it'd be great if it could actually function when I do try to use it.

Return it, exchange it for a Bionic or Razr or anything else. Bad phone, bad radios, no stable roms, no ICS update ever, stock sucks. A Bionic with its horrible screen is much much more stable and functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

RVProfootballer posted:

Return it, exchange it for a Bionic or Razr or anything else. Bad phone, bad radios, no stable roms, no ICS update ever, stock sucks. A Bionic with its horrible screen is much much more stable and functional.

Welp, Bionic it is. I guess paying 100 bucks for a lovely screen isn't that big of a deal.