Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone have a reliable falafel recipe and technique? My problem is that my ball/patties don't hold up when I cook them. I've tried baking in cast iron with oil (turned into one mushy pile), pan frying in non-stick (works the best but still not great at all), and deep frying (abject failure and shame*). Is my problem that I've been using canned chickpeas? What's the secret to these delicious things?

*Many moons ago someone asked if a deep frying thread made sense and was told no, but both I and my parents (drat hippies) have literally zero experience and could use some pointers. It's not as easy as y'all seem to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevryn
Mar 7, 2002

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but with a whimper.

Thank you, Vlex. Made it and it was bomb! Seared/roasted up some Moroccan spiced chicken thighs and brown rice to go along with it. The roomie and her boyfriend loved it so much they offered to clean up the kitchen, which is great because that's a messy dish to make!

Sevryn fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 21, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Sevryn posted:

I'm looking for a recipe that was posted here earlier this year. It was like sweet potato and peanut butter stew with tomatoes, ginger and cilantro I believe. I've tried searching for it but haven't had any luck. Made it once before and it was really good, was going to try and make it again tonight.

Thanks!

Also, to the poster above me, maybe a Puerco Pibil or Pastor?

Was it the Butternut Squash Peanut Stew that I posted? It IS delicious. :)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445761

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm looking for a cheese ravioli filling recipe. In my head it goes a little something like this:

Ricotta
Grated parmesean
salt
pepper
roasted garlic
egg for binder
parsley

Is there anything that I've omitted that would really make these better, or is there anything that I should remove?

EDIT:VVV Allergic to lobster (all shellfish):(. Thanks to everyone who chimed in

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 21, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, you seem to be missing lobster.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ricotta is gross.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're gross

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I'm looking for a cheese ravioli filling recipe. In my head it goes a little something like this:

Ricotta
Grated parmesean
salt
pepper
roasted garlic
egg for binder
parsley

Is there anything that I've omitted that would really make these better, or is there anything that I should remove?
Salt and the egg, roast your garlic.

Cheese raviolis should be fluffy so you don't want to bind it up, and the Parma is salty enough.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

Ricotta is gross.

+1, ricotta owns.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Is it a big deal that a pressure cooker maxes out at 13 psi instead of the US standard of 15 psi? How much of a difference will it make? Should I hold out for a 15 PSI unit?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
So I've been put on bed rest for a few days, and Mr. Lullabee is a horrid cook. What are some simple easy recipes he can cook rather quickly, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is simple enough that someone who can only cook bacon/scrambled eggs make?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lullabee posted:

So I've been put on bed rest for a few days, and Mr. Lullabee is a horrid cook. What are some simple easy recipes he can cook rather quickly, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is simple enough that someone who can only cook bacon/scrambled eggs make?

Awesome recipes with few ingredients !!

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Sorry, I didn't see it. Thank you.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Canuckistan posted:

Is it a big deal that a pressure cooker maxes out at 13 psi instead of the US standard of 15 psi? How much of a difference will it make? Should I hold out for a 15 PSI unit?
Practically speaking, you're probably only going to have to extend the times on your recipes by a couple minutes every ten. A 15 psi cooker gets to 257°F, while 13 psi gets up to 251°F according to this. Just about every recipe made for a pressure cooker assumes 15 psi, so you'll always have to make the adjustment.

Personally I find adjusting for a pressure cooker can be hit or miss simply because you can't see the food for reference (I'm the worst for peeking at cooking food). If you need to cook something for more time, you have to bring it back up to pressure, which is annoying and still doesn't necessarily nail down the time. (Assuming what you're cooking can handle a quick release of pressure, otherwise you'll be there a while.) Once you get it figured out, though, you'd probably be okay. This guy suggests that certain chemical effects won't happen until 15 psi, but that seems fairly limited to specific applications even if true.

I have a 6 QT Presto and like it just fine. It gets to 15 psi, and is fairly inexpensive.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Doh004 posted:

Hey, I can't remember the steak cooking method of slowly cooking it while spooning butter over the steak in a cast iron pan. Degasse or something method! Help!

Ducasse is a person and certainly not the first loving Frenchie to spoon butter over food. The real word you want is arroser (arrow-ZAY); pay no mind to the thread-poopers.

edit:

See it in action in one of the most :goonsay: youtubes I've seen in awhile, courtesy of fat internet celebrity Josh Ozersky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSlo2oBaoQ

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 21, 2012

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Turkeybone posted:

Ducasse is a person and certainly not the first loving Frenchie to spoon butter over food. The real word you want is arroser (arrow-ZAY); pay no mind to the thread-poopers.
I don't know what you're talking about `ducasse' is the French word for `it was really pink in person but for some reason it's grey in the photos' (and is therefore an antonym of `Pr0k's Mom'). Next thing you're going to be trying to convince me that scoring then blanching tomatoes to remove the skin then quartering them isn't `the Alton Brown method'.

Turkeybone posted:

See it in action in one of the most :goonsay: youtubes I've seen in awhile, courtesy of fat internet celebrity Josh Ozersky:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxSlo2oBaoQ
Bacon on a square plate. GWS, ladies and gentlemen.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
So I got some arugula today and it is bitter as gently caress. Anyone has any tips on how to mitigate that?

A quick Google search reveals that this is a result of the leaves being grown too long or in too hot conditions, and since the leaves are about as big as my fingers (I have small hands), I assume it's the latter?

I've tried rubbing them with salt, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Arbitrary Coin fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 22, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Arbitrary Coin posted:

So I got some arugula today and it is bitter as gently caress. Anyone has any tips on how to mitigate that?

A quick Google search reveals that this is a result of the leaves being grown too long or in too hot conditions, and since the leaves are about as big as my fingers (I have small hands), I assume it's the latter?

I've tried rubbing them with salt, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Use an acid in either their dressing or their otherwise preparation to cut it's bitterness. Or serve it with something really fatty and rich like pork belly.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Use an acid in either their dressing or their otherwise preparation to cut it's bitterness. Or serve it with something really fatty and rich like pork belly.
Or both. A pork belly (or thinly shaved jamón serrano or jamón ibérico if you want to be crazy about it) sandwich with arugula, a sharp cheese, and a bit of vinegar dressing is pretty awesome. There's actually a name for this, right?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Are there different things you do with different types of whey? I had about a liter of whey from my yogurt making and tried to make ricotta, but there was no curdling at all. Did I do it wrong or is yogurt whey different somehow?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

GrAviTy84 posted:

SubG posted:

Or both. A pork belly (or thinly shaved jamn00200073errano or jamn00200069br0069co if you want to be crazy about it) sandwich with arugula, a sharp cheese, and a bit of vinegar dressing is pretty awesome. There's actually a name for this, right?

Thanks you two! It's nice to hear that I can use some vinegar or acidic fruit i have lying around instead of something too fancy.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Lullabee posted:

Lots of awesome egg burritos! Sausage one day, bacon the next, then ham, then veggies, then a supreme...

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
I hope it's okay to ask for this here. :ohdear: Does anyone have a link to the thread here about cool recipes using Top Ramen/Instant noodles? It was basically a bunch of ways to use the noodles with ingredients more exciting than powder.

I looked through the archives (assuming I understand how to use them correctly), and searched the forum and I couldn't find it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
there was an ICSA battle noodles, that's a good place to look for noodle ideas. threads about microwave ramen are usually trolled into oblivion pretty quickly

Dangphat
Nov 15, 2011
Barbecue issue here, I am going camping with a group of 30,we are taking a large barbecue (which is the barrel type where the lid can come over for roasting/smoking or opened out to make two open air cooking surfaces). We let the non-cook (but big eater) do the shopping and he has come back with pork belly.

I love pork belly, but normally slow roasted in my oven at home, maybe finishing off on a barbecue but not on it the whole time.

We will be time limited as we are not getting to the camp site till 7 pm so anything more than an hour an a half will end up with the group eating me out of hunger.

I have considered using the lid closed and piling the coal oneside and cooking the pork indirectly with the smoke and residual heat, but this would take a while and I am worried about heat control. I would also reduce the barbecue space by half for the other more traditional barbecue meat.

The other option is I cook directly over the coals but I am worried that I would not get a nice texture in the meat with pork belly as it would be cooked to quickly.

Anyone had any experience of cooking pork belly on the barbecue without the aid of an oven before hand?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Dangphat posted:

Barbecue issue here, I am going camping with a group of 30,we are taking a large barbecue (which is the barrel type where the lid can come over for roasting/smoking or opened out to make two open air cooking surfaces). We let the non-cook (but big eater) do the shopping and he has come back with pork belly.

I love pork belly, but normally slow roasted in my oven at home, maybe finishing off on a barbecue but not on it the whole time.

We will be time limited as we are not getting to the camp site till 7 pm so anything more than an hour an a half will end up with the group eating me out of hunger.

I have considered using the lid closed and piling the coal oneside and cooking the pork indirectly with the smoke and residual heat, but this would take a while and I am worried about heat control. I would also reduce the barbecue space by half for the other more traditional barbecue meat.

The other option is I cook directly over the coals but I am worried that I would not get a nice texture in the meat with pork belly as it would be cooked to quickly.

Anyone had any experience of cooking pork belly on the barbecue without the aid of an oven before hand?

If you can, roast it in an oven beforehand and bring it in a cooler pre-roasted so you just need to crisp it up/finish it on the grill. Otherwise, slice it thin raw beforehand, then grill the slices. It's a pain in the rear end depending on how narrow or wide the grill grates are, but I doubt you'll get a pork belly done on a grill in less than 30 minutes otherwise.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
So I have come into a pasta machine and have as a result fallen in love with fresh, homemade pasta. However, making fresh pasta every few days is more work than I have time for. is there a/what is the best way to preserve it? I've read about forming it into "nests" and freezing it; but when I recooked them they were all stuck together lumpy tangles. Is there a way to dry it out and make it shelf-stable? Would this work with a dough recipe with eggs? Or, barring that, what am I loving up in the freezing process?

Secondary question: any good, simple, vegetarian slow cooker recipes? As it turns out, any dry bean on 'low' in water for 10 hours turns out silky and delicious, but I want to broaden our horizons from plain beans.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Micomicona posted:

So I have come into a pasta machine and have as a result fallen in love with fresh, homemade pasta. However, making fresh pasta every few days is more work than I have time for. is there a/what is the best way to preserve it? I've read about forming it into "nests" and freezing it; but when I recooked them they were all stuck together lumpy tangles. Is there a way to dry it out and make it shelf-stable? Would this work with a dough recipe with eggs? Or, barring that, what am I loving up in the freezing process?

Secondary question: any good, simple, vegetarian slow cooker recipes? As it turns out, any dry bean on 'low' in water for 10 hours turns out silky and delicious, but I want to broaden our horizons from plain beans.

I'm sorry but at that point isn't it no longer fresh? I don't really see the advantage of turning fresh stuff into the stuff you buy at the store.

Also, stop carbo loading eating pasta every other day.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Micomicona posted:

I just started making/freezing fresh pasta myself and haven't run into any problems yet. How long are you letting the cut pasta rest before you freeze it? I let mine air dry in a single layer for maybe 15 minutes, then bag and freeze. It dries just enough that the noodles don't stick too badly.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

So I just got back from vacation in Prague and I have two questions related to things I ate that I need to eat again.

There was a steak that came out in an "apple cream sauce". Cream was white/yellow and fairly fluid, but didn't flood the plate. Bits of apple were floating around in it. Did not seem to have any visible specs of spices. I'm thinking that the simple answer here was just butter + cream + apples simmered on low for a while? Anyone have something along those lines or think there may have been something else added before I start experimenting?

Then there was a piece of lamb that was amazing. I've had lamb kabobs and occasionally a bit of rack, but this was a simple shoulder chop that delicious. I'd imagine that the best way to cook a shoulder chop would be to season lightly in a good olive oil, salt/pepper, and cook pretty similarly to a steak but just the adjusted time?

e; http://www.klubarchitektu.com/KA_menu_black_07_web.pdf
Absurdly cheap and awesome food. It all seemed so simple and looking at the menu again they really must be. We had dinner for 8 there with drinks and 3 courses for like $150. I want to go back :(
So, wtf is apple cream sauce and what is the preferred method of cooking a lamb shoulder chop to perfection?

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2012

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

zerox147o posted:

So I just got back from vacation in Prague and I have two questions related to things I ate that I need to eat again.

There was a steak that came out in an "apple cream sauce". Cream was white/yellow and fairly fluid, but didn't flood the plate. Bits of apple were floating around in it. Did not seem to have any visible specs of spices. I'm thinking that the simple answer here was just butter + cream + apples simmered on low for a while? Anyone have something along those lines or think there may have been something else added before I start experimenting?

Then there was a piece of lamb that was amazing. I've had lamb kabobs and occasionally a bit of rack, but this was a simple shoulder chop that delicious. I'd imagine that the best way to cook a shoulder chop would be to season lightly in a good olive oil, salt/pepper, and cook pretty similarly to a steak but just the adjusted time?

e; http://www.klubarchitektu.com/KA_menu_black_07_web.pdf
Absurdly cheap and awesome food. It all seemed so simple and looking at the menu again they really must be. We had dinner for 8 there with drinks and 3 courses for like $150. I want to go back :(
So, wtf is apple cream sauce and what is the preferred method of cooking a lamb shoulder chop to perfection?

Garlic ,rosemary and, olive oil is traditional. But some red wine vinegar and oregano can't hurt.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I've recently started using eggs more. How long do eggs last hardboiled(shell still on) as compared to raw in the refrigerator?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hard boiled eggs last maybe a week, raw ones last a good month past the expiration date.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What the hell do you do with bay leaves? A few recipes that I've tried lately call for them but I can't tell what I'm supposed to do with them, or what effect they're having. I throw a leaf or two in whole when I'm told to, and when it's done I still have this hard-rear end piece of plant matter that look unchanged and wholly not for consumption, nor can I pick out any sort of flavor that might be leaf-flavor. What's up with them? Is it better to crush them up before use? Toss them once the dish is finished?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 23, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
they add a good taste contrast in rich dishes

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

C-Euro posted:

What the hell do you do with bay leaves? A few recipes that I've tried lately call for them but I can't tell what I'm supposed to do with them, or what effect they're having. I throw a leaf or two in whole when I'm told to, and when it's done I still have this hard-rear end piece of plant matter that look unchanged and wholly not for consumption, nor can I pick out any sort of flavor that might be leaf-flavor. What's up with them? Is it better to crush them up before use? Toss them once the dish is finished?

Smell a fresh one. Taste it. Funny thing, that smell and taste, that's what it adds to your dish. That is generally how cooking works. Hth.

Add them whole, cook dish, pick out and discard before serving

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

C-Euro posted:

What the hell do you do with bay leaves? A few recipes that I've tried lately call for them but I can't tell what I'm supposed to do with them, or what effect they're having.
I have this same problem but only because I"m using horrible store-bought bay leaves that are the color of faded corduroy pants. gently caress that noise, order some leaves from Penzeys and when these vivid green items arrive you are going to be bowled over by the scent. Throw them into the dishes that asked for them and *bam* now you'll know what you're missing.

Bay leaves are great but really really lovely dried leaves get sold at the stores. Buy better quality in small quantities from somewhere else.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Smell a fresh one. Taste it. Funny thing, that smell and taste, that's what it adds to your dish. That is generally how cooking works. Hth.

Add them whole, cook dish, pick out and discard before serving

On the other hand if your bay leaves are really old, they will do jack poo poo. So buy new spices.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Drink and Fight posted:

On the other hand if your bay leaves are really old, they will do jack poo poo. So buy new spices.

Yeah; when you open that jar of bay leaves, and you aren't assaulted by the herbaceous aroma of bay leaves, you have old as poo poo leaves that might as well be cardboard.

Get good bay leaves and I guarantee you won't be confused as to what they bring to the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

What are these old, stale bay leaves you're all talking about? Any time I need bay leaves I just go out to my herb garden and pick some fresh. :smug: Plant cost me 8 bux. Clamshells of "fresh" bay leaves at the store cost 2-3bux. It was a worthwhile investment.