Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Shame about the family. I know it can be difficult educating someone older than you are.

Anyway, catpuddle here.

So I stopped by my sisters earlier today and one of her duo decided to sit in my lap and then steal candy. But not before catstaring the camera.

Its shiny and crinkly.

He lost one, and had to get another.

Contented, afterwards at the scratching post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunchytacosupreme
Mar 26, 2007
IT BURNS
Dear Concerned Citizen,

I truly appreciate your concern for my dog's well-being. Undoubtedly, you concern is rooted in the love of your own animals and I commend you for taking them out to the park for walks despite your inability to control them when other dogs are around.
I'd be more than happy to have a civil conversation with your about summer heat safety, my dog and his ability to communicate with me verbally or otherwise. However, I do not appreciate your demanding that I stop running immediately because "it is too hot and you have already run around the park twice!" (we actually ran around three times, who's counting right?). What I appreciate even less is when you attempted to assert your (false) authority as a vet. It is very easy to tell when someone is lying for their own gain, especially when you refused to check my dog for heat exhaustion and provide your credentials as a DVM.
Please do note that your words did not fall on deaf ears. Understand that my dog is well taken care of. I know the limits of my animal and when to stop pushing him, we have been doing this for a while. It really is a shame that you would not listen when I was trying to explain this, instead you found it more suitable to call me selfish and ignorant.

Signed,
-The scary guy with tattoos.
(Duck would have signed this too, but he is a bit angry that you didn't pet him after lunging in front of us and making my knee pop out of place)

P.S.
What I was doing was not illegal, but leaving your dogs locked in your car is.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.
On Sunday, my family went to adopt a new cat. We've always had 1-2 pets at home and after the last cat passed away a few months ago I guess the house was feeling a bit empty. Somehow they came back with not one, but THREE cats. One, a tiny kitten because my little sister desperately wanted a kitten and actually paid for him with her own saved up money, and the other two because my mom fell in love with a young adult and the shelter said she was bonded to another cat so they had to go together. They were free since it's kitten season, the shelter is overpacked, and it's so hard to adopt out bonded pairs. :)

Upon hearing the news I sent them a Da Bird as a present and it arrived yesterday. I called today to see how everyone is adjusting and my dad said they'd already completely destroyed it. :3: He was pretty happy to hear you can buy refills online -- they had been attempting to save the tiny nub of feathers that remained. The two older cats are still adjusting, as is to be expected, and the baby is already acting like he owns the place.

No pictures because my family is technologically impaired, but I'm visiting next week and excited to meet the new kitties!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Robo Kitty posted:

On Sunday, my family went to adopt a new cat. We've always had 1-2 pets at home and after the last cat passed away a few months ago I guess the house was feeling a bit empty. Somehow they came back with not one, but THREE cats. One, a tiny kitten because my little sister desperately wanted a kitten and actually paid for him with her own saved up money, and the other two because my mom fell in love with a young adult and the shelter said she was bonded to another cat so they had to go together. They were free since it's kitten season, the shelter is overpacked, and it's so hard to adopt out bonded pairs. :)

Upon hearing the news I sent them a Da Bird as a present and it arrived yesterday. I called today to see how everyone is adjusting and my dad said they'd already completely destroyed it. :3: He was pretty happy to hear you can buy refills online -- they had been attempting to save the tiny nub of feathers that remained. The two older cats are still adjusting, as is to be expected, and the baby is already acting like he owns the place.

No pictures because my family is technologically impaired, but I'm visiting next week and excited to meet the new kitties!

See, this is why I say shelters are like Bed, Bath and Beyond. You go in to get one thing, and you leave with more then you planned on getting!

Horray for them taking in those cats! :3:

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Your little sister saving up money to buy her own cat is just too cute.

Though I'm sure that as happens with kids the world over the care will eventually fall to your parents, that's adorbs.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Jossos posted:

Your little sister saving up money to buy her own cat is just too cute.

Though I'm sure that as happens with kids the world over the care will eventually fall to your parents, that's adorbs.

Honestly I was surprised to hear she had managed to save up all that money - middle schoolers aren't exactly known for their fiscal responsibility.

My dad said he gave her the same lecture I got when I got my first cat (she's your responsibility, you have to feed her and scoop the box, etc) - he reminded me again (as he likes to do once in a while) that I promised to do all those things and taking care of the cat ended up being my mom's problem. Of course - while she's 12, I was *7*. How in the world did he think a 7-year-old was going to critically consider the responsibilities of caring for an animal before she makes any promises she needs to in order to get a pet? And how does he still think I was unreasonable for failing to live up that standard? :doh:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Steezo posted:

Shame about the family. I know it can be difficult educating someone older than you are.

Anyway, catpuddle here.

BC makes me so want to get my own catpuddle.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle.

This is what I woke up to this morning.

Brillig
Oct 21, 2008

You know the world isn't fair at all. Titles aren't fairly distributed either. In time you'll learn my son. -2Bit
Last night I was having a dream about petting a kitten. I was playing with its feet and gently squishing its little toes and stuff. Then I slowly woke up and realized I had been dreaming, yet there was still a cat foot in my hand. I was sleep toe squishing and petting one of my actual cats. He didn't seem to mind.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I woke up to Ires steathily belly-crawling up to see me, wriggling with excitement the whole way.

Then Balen dove on the bed in front of her and flopped his enormous rear end against my sore, tetanus shotted two days ago shoulder.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

its like lava posted:

Dear Concerned Citizen,

I truly appreciate your concern for my dog's well-being. Undoubtedly, you concern is rooted in the love of your own animals and I commend you for taking them out to the park for walks despite your inability to control them when other dogs are around.
I'd be more than happy to have a civil conversation with your about summer heat safety, my dog and his ability to communicate with me verbally or otherwise. However, I do not appreciate your demanding that I stop running immediately because "it is too hot and you have already run around the park twice!" (we actually ran around three times, who's counting right?). What I appreciate even less is when you attempted to assert your (false) authority as a vet. It is very easy to tell when someone is lying for their own gain, especially when you refused to check my dog for heat exhaustion and provide your credentials as a DVM.
Please do note that your words did not fall on deaf ears. Understand that my dog is well taken care of. I know the limits of my animal and when to stop pushing him, we have been doing this for a while. It really is a shame that you would not listen when I was trying to explain this, instead you found it more suitable to call me selfish and ignorant.

Signed,
-The scary guy with tattoos.
(Duck would have signed this too, but he is a bit angry that you didn't pet him after lunging in front of us and making my knee pop out of place)

P.S.
What I was doing was not illegal, but leaving your dogs locked in your car is.

Are you the concerned citizen or the scary guy?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Major managed to lose a fight with a raccoon without actually touching the raccoon.

I was walking him by my barn when I saw this young raccoon eating all my sheep food like he has been all week and I decided to let Major put the fear of God into it. Major was on leash and the raccoon had a head start so I wasn't particularly worried about a physical confrontation. The raccoon bolted up a rafter and sat there terrified while Major screamed and barked and lunged and tried to climb the pole to get him. After a few minutes I decided that the dog was going to give himself an aneurysm if I let him keep going and called him/dragged him off still screaming. When we got out of the barn I noticed his face was absolutely covered in blood and it was just dripping everywhere.

Turns out in his hollering, Major bit his tongue which then was slapping blood all over his face and neck. Plus he split a back nail trying to climb up the post. Good job dog. He probably would be less hurt if I had actually let him just fight the thing.

Major's now trying to convince me with his tongue sticking out about a foot and his super intense face on that he really needs to go back outside to kill the raccoongo potty.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
How does a grumpy beagle deal with the hottest day of the year (so far)?

He had his back legs straight up, too. Basically he was laying on the ground with his legs up in the air for a good 30 minutes...

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

I made a whippet friend today :3:

I was leaving a Salvation Army Thrift Store and there was a whippet tied at the entrance; he was visibly anxious and whining very loudly. The poor thing was shaking all over with his tail tucked between his legs, and he lunged at the door whenever it opened. He was pulling very hard on the leash and I was a little worried that he may pull loose or get his nose slammed in the doorway. So I crouched down next to him, patted him lightly and babytalked. He leaned on me - never taking his eye off the door though - and started to calm down a bit. He was still desperate to get his nose through the door, but people at least paid more attention to not slam it, since there was now a much more visible person crouched there giving them deathstares if they were not careful.

Finally the owner, an elderly gentleman, came out and thanked me for keeping his pup company. We chatted a bit about whippets and sure enough, we know the same whippet lady. He only recalled knowing her when I mentioned her dogs' names though, ha.

I've done this a couple times now - watching stranger's dogs when they were being left outside a store, especially if the store layout doesn't allow people inside to have visual contact with the dog. Am I being a weirdo to do this? I haven't had an owner who expressed displeasure over it but just want to make sure this is not considered creepy or something. I'm not a dog owner and honestly I'm a little perplexed - I wouldn't really be comfortable leaving my pet outside a store unless it's literally an in-and-out in 10 seconds type of thing but perhaps I'm just paranoid and being presumptuous?

Also whippets are awesome and I would totally own one if I'm not a "cat person" already.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Tomorrow I'm going to Chicago with my friend for the weekend. My friend has a kitten, and normally I would be petsitting it for her, but since I can't, my boyfriend will instead. We went ahead and brought the kitten over tonight to get him settled in. He's mesmerized by Shadow. He'll run up sideways, back arched and tail floofed. He'll do this a few times and try to swat at him. Shadow just gets this butthurt look on his face and comes begging me to save him. Poor dog. :3:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Skizzles posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to Chicago with my friend for the weekend. My friend has a kitten, and normally I would be petsitting it for her, but since I can't, my boyfriend will instead. We went ahead and brought the kitten over tonight to get him settled in. He's mesmerized by Shadow. He'll run up sideways, back arched and tail floofed. He'll do this a few times and try to swat at him. Shadow just gets this butthurt look on his face and comes begging me to save him. Poor dog. :3:

Ahahahahha, Asa does the same with our kitten. And did it with Elphaba when SHE was a kitten. Its priceless. Okay little miss 35lb dog, yes, this 3.5lb cat is just going to WRECK YOUR poo poo. You had best give me the saddest eyes possible and harumph a lot.
Dogs :P

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
I called my dad for father's day. My stepmom excitedly tells me that my dad has a "new little family."

There has been a stray cat they've been feeding for almost a year now that they've named Socks. She won't let them catch her but she had a notch in her ear so my stepmom assumed she was spayed. She was not. And the Saturday before father's day, Socks waited until my dad was out working in the yard to carry both of her kittens directly to him and drop them at his feet. She then took off and hid behind a bush while my dad picked up the kittens and yelled at her to get back there and get her drat kittens because he wasn't going to take care of them for her*.

Happy Father's Day, DAD!

*My dad is a 'big meanie' who told me he didn't want the kittens and didn't really like them all that much but my stepmom interrupted him to tell me about how he sat with both of them on his lap handfeeding them cat food for a good hour that night. He then put them in the laundry room in a basket with a clock wrapped in a towel so they wouldn't miss their mother. Even he says "well, they're kind of cute when they're rolling around on the ground fighting with each other." They're borrowing a trap from the vet to catch Socks to get her spayed for reals and both kittens are also going to the vet, who is going to give them shots and find homes for them. (Dad and Stepmom already have 2 indoor cats and can't really have more.)

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

As part of my costume-building process, I made paper models of my torso and legs. The leg pieces are still open at the top, and I have one half-stuffed.

Leela really wanted some of that poly fill, so she crawled bodily inside my hollow leg.

I wasn't fast enough to get a picture :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/lost-3-year-old-girl-rescued-thanks-to-a-dog-and-his-microchip?WT.mc_id=Outbrain_6411017

A 3 year old's parents were taking a nap when the kid let herself and her brand new (week old) doggie outside to play! Only the dog went off on a walk and the kid followed. The dog's microchip was already changed over to their address. The cops got the address and returned dog and kid. Even though he's only been with the family a week, the dog didn't wanna be seperated from the kid to go home. :3: The family is calling the dog a hero.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?
Can I take a moment to vent about how EXTREMELY DIFFICULT it is to study for the bar exam when you have to remove the cat sitting on your books every two seconds? It's like constantly having to reset a typewriter, except with more claws and hair.

There is an entire bed available why do you have to have to sit there of all places? :argh:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Oh lawd I been takin pictures of thangs

Yard Pigs

GECKIES

Also, I got two new rats, who are fat, stupid, and adorable. :3: Need to get pics of them this weekend.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

FlyingFish posted:

I've done this a couple times now - watching stranger's dogs when they were being left outside a store, especially if the store layout doesn't allow people inside to have visual contact with the dog. Am I being a weirdo to do this? I haven't had an owner who expressed displeasure over it but just want to make sure this is not considered creepy or something. I'm not a dog owner and honestly I'm a little perplexed - I wouldn't really be comfortable leaving my pet outside a store unless it's literally an in-and-out in 10 seconds type of thing but perhaps I'm just paranoid and being presumptuous?

No, I am terrified when I have to leave my dogs in my locked car to run in for 5 seconds to do poo poo like pay for gas so I have always been unable to fathom how people just tie their dog to a thing and leave it outside a store :psyduck:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Superconsndar posted:

No, I am terrified when I have to leave my dogs in my locked car to run in for 5 seconds to do poo poo like pay for gas so I have always been unable to fathom how people just tie their dog to a thing and leave it outside a store :psyduck:

When I was still in college a regular or a worker at this cafe right by my building did this almost daily. The dog was some kind of corgi/jack russel mix and had hosed up legs and was super super bow legged, but he was always out there alone waiting attentively for his owner to come back.

Savannah is pretty dog friendly and people ate outside a lot, so I guess maybe that's why they felt ok enough to leave him out there? I don't know. I'd never do it.

Also your new geckos are such cuties. :3: Any new infos on Moses' hips?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Oh god new Frankie pictures! I loving love me some Frankie pictures. Such a great face. Moses is looking real good, Super. We had a couple of Pibbles at work today, and I realized something: Pibbles have huge loving heads. Like this one dude was super excited to have me pet him, so he'd smash his head against my stomach, and it felt like someone was hitting me in the gut with a brick. Also I'm not sure how old he was, maybe a year, but his head looked too big for his body. :3:

Also: What's wrong with Moses' hips? :ohdear:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

When I was still in college a regular or a worker at this cafe right by my building did this almost daily. The dog was some kind of corgi/jack russel mix and had hosed up legs and was super super bow legged, but he was always out there alone waiting attentively for his owner to come back.

Savannah is pretty dog friendly and people ate outside a lot, so I guess maybe that's why they felt ok enough to leave him out there? I don't know. I'd never do it.

Also your new geckos are such cuties. :3: Any new infos on Moses' hips?

We finally did Pennhip at the beginning of the month: 80th percentile which is surprising to me based on his movement. CERF is next, we'll see.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

Also: What's wrong with Moses' hips? :ohdear:

Nothing, goons are mad that he's intact

e; geckos aren't new, have had the big ones since October or Nov

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 23, 2012

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
What? Also, when are you getting Moses neutered? Or will you not do it at all?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Superconsndar posted:

Nothing, goons are mad that he's intact

e; geckos aren't new, have had the big ones since October or Nov

Well they are new to me. :colbert:

also I'm not one of the mad people I am just legitimately curious about PI dags :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

quote:

:3: He is clearly singing to you.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Well they are new to me. :colbert:

also I'm not one of the mad people I am just legitimately curious about PI dags :(

Well good :(

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

What? Also, when are you getting Moses neutered? Or will you not do it at all?

What what? His lines generally aren't done maturing until after their third birthday. He'll be neutered 1) After I've seen him work and determined he's worth or not worth it 2) after It's pretty clear I won't be able to work him before like his 5th or 6th bday

I *was* going to neuter him post health testing because I assumed he was poo poo based on movement, but apparently not so ~~~~ we will see~~~~ (irl he will most likely never be bred because he's got things I dislike but I haven't done enough with him to make that decisions yet)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Superconsndar posted:

I *was* going to neuter him post health testing because I assumed he was poo poo based on movement, but apparently not so ~~~~ we will see~~~~

Regardless of scoring, does the shape that lends itself to wonky movement lend itself to a shorter working time span? Is that what made you say this:

quote:

he's got things I dislike

or is that in reference to something else?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

WolfensteinBag posted:

Regardless of scoring, does the shape that lends itself to wonky movement lend itself to a shorter working time span?

No, but it does lead to dogs whos working lives consist of joint pain and discomfort. It doesn't shorten their working time spans because most just power through it, but I don't think that's something I'm really comfortable passing on. I don't think a working dog should have to spend its working life in varying levels of pain just because it can power through it and keep working in spite of itself. I could not possibly care less about cosmetic structure, but things that affect actual function and ability aren't things I want to gently caress around with.

His back end is actually okay; but he has quite a collection of issues with his front end that throw everything off. To me, it looks like the issues in his front end don't allow for the extension necessary to get his back end underneath him when he runs, resulting in bunny hops and all kinds of weirdness. He's able to move fast in spite of himself, but he often has some pain the next day if he pushes himself too hard. Not something I'm really interested in passing on.

However,

quote:

Is that what made you say this:

or is that in reference to something else?

More than structural issues, I'm put off by the various temperament stuff discussed here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3264830&userid=119745&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post398920706

So as much as I love my dawg, and as much as I really would like the opportunity to work him at some point, There are way better candidates for breeding out there and there really wouldn't be any reason to make more middle-of-the-road OFRNs.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Superconsndar posted:

Oh lawd I been takin pictures of thangs

Yard Pigs

drat does he look proud of his ball. I love the blur on the tail. "Play!!!?"

Exactly how hard were you facepalming when you took this Frankie pic? For some reason that pose and expression reminds me of my grandfather.

Somehow one of my parent's dogs managed to get into the trash which was in the back of a truck waiting to go to the dumpster and pulled out (and ate) some cellophane without ripping the bag open. We figure this is what happened because the poor pup was acting odd and they took him to the vet. He had to have surgery to have it removed and that's what they found. He's fine, but has a shaved belly now.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Confo/structure question: What up with dogs who sit like that?

Is it just comfortable? Or does it signal some sort of structural weakness in the hips/back end?

Also, what about dogs who shift onto one hip while sitting?

Cohen's always nice and symmetrical, and I get worried when I see dogs shifting over onto a side after a second or two of sitting normally.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

a life less posted:

Is it just comfortable? Or does it signal some sort of structural weakness in the hips/back end?

Cohen's always nice and symmetrical, and I get worried when I see dogs shifting over onto a side after a second or two of sitting normally.

I've known two dogs who sit like that. One is a beagle of ours name Tiercel, and the other is Dandy.

I don't know the exact answer, because I've never seen it addressed in my nerd books, so I can only go on inference. Both Dan and Tiercel are very solid dogs, even when Tiercel is in hunting condition and before Dandy got neutered and turned into a landwhale (still working on this ftr). Dan also has a verrrry straight rear, which *might* be the case with Tiercel, but I can't honestly recall off hand. If I had to guess, I'd say it was a rear angulation thing combined with bulk. I'd be interested to hear other opinons though!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

a life less posted:

I've actually always wondered that too and I have no idea. He moves alright I guess, for a Frankie, but that isn't saying much.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

It really is a shame that Frankie doesn't still have his balls, because what the world needs is more of this.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

A lot of greyhounds sit like that, kind of on the side of their rear end. They can't sit flat on their butt like most dogs just due to the way they're shaped. They either hover using their back leg muscles or they roll onto the side slightly.

It doesn't look quite like what Frankie's doing, but it is kind of awkward and silly.

Of course now that Husker has only one back leg it's gotten even weirder looking, because he has to set himself up to be able to get back up.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's nice to see some new pictures of Frankie. I saw some photos of a red Boston a few days ago and that made me think of him. Moses is looking nice and happy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Keeper sits on his butt like that all the time, I call it 'Winston Churchill-ing'. He has luxating patallae, but his hips are solid, both his parents were OFA'd good, so his structure isn't terrible. I really have no idea why he would do it other than possible soundness issues, but he does seem to really like pressing his rear end in a top hat directly onto things.

• Locked thread