Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKBGUTT
May 7, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Could be the Back to the Future 2 game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au6QL9DEolE

Nope. I remember very little of the game but i seem to remember that there where yellow pads that you could hit to jump higher.

HKBGUTT fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
C64 fighter game with an overall Egyptian theme and I think one of the fights was against a guy with a cat (or maybe jackal/dog) head with sand and possibly a pyramid or two in the background.

Edit: Yep, that's it, thanks! For some reason that title ended up in the handful I'd automatically skip over when looking because I thought I knew it as something else.

Punch Card fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 21, 2012

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

HKBGUTT posted:

Nope. I remember very little of the game but i seem to remember that there where yellow pads that you could hit to jump higher.

This is probably Metro-Cross.

Punch Card posted:

C64 fighter game with an overall Egyptian theme and I think one of the fights was against a guy with a cat (or maybe jackal/dog) head with sand and possibly a pyramid or two in the background.

This sounds like the Egypt level from Renegade 3, but the game theme wasn't overall Egyptian.

E: Fighting Warrior looks more likely.

Plinth fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 20, 2012

rockem
Aug 4, 2010

:krad:
Looking for help with two games.

First is a PS1 game. Science fiction, third person perspective. All I remember are these holograms that pop up and say "Nayzheer" when you interact with them. I think it had some kind of racing tube game too.

Second one is harder. 90's computer game, friend had it. I remember reading this giant instruction manual at his house, first chapter had to do with clearing rats out of a cellar? It was a roleplaying game. I kinda remember him showing it to me, it was like Wizardry. In a maze and he was fighting this tree like monster, and when he hit it blood flew out.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

rockem posted:

Second one is harder. 90's computer game, friend had it. I remember reading this giant instruction manual at his house, first chapter had to do with clearing rats out of a cellar? It was a roleplaying game. I kinda remember him showing it to me, it was like Wizardry. In a maze and he was fighting this tree like monster, and when he hit it blood flew out.

Assuming your memory's a little fuzzy: http://www.mobygames.com/game/ultima-underworld-ii-labyrinth-of-worlds

rockem posted:

:O

That might be it. Do any battles take place above ground? Like with the sky showing overhead, not just maze rooftops and whatnot?
Nope. There's always a ceiling, but half the time it's darkness (due to really high ceilings/lighting distance).

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 23, 2012

rockem
Aug 4, 2010

:O

That might be it. Do any battles take place above ground? Like with the sky showing overhead, not just maze rooftops and whatnot?

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
This was a space combat shooter I got when my parents purchased a 486 computer in the mid 90's

It was like Wing Commander, however it had its own set of characters, a linear campaign that was like 40-60 missions long.

One of the missions had you fly to a strange space ship/alien, and it showed a cut scene of you getting sucked in followed by a message saying "Find out what happens by purchasing a mission pack"

There were alot of ships in the game, one of the ships was designed to look like a Scorpion.

edit:

Bob Wins posted:

Ok i will jump in on this one... it was a really old game from around the windows 98 era. I dont exactly remember much (i was more of a play outside kinda kid) but it was a space flight game akin to wing commander, but what wasnt those days. The main ship that was the games default looked like a spherical pod in the center with wings on either side that were painted to look like eagle/falcon wings. As a kid i remember my favorite ship looked like a scorpion (yes a space ship that looked like a scorpion). You would fly around and shoot down other ships and tractor beam your allies escape pods if they died, if you took lethal damage you could escape pod out and pray one of your allies tractor beamed you to safety. If you ended up dying or not being tractor beamed i remember it played some kind of gory cinematic where your escape pods atmosphere leaked into space.

The details are vague, and it may have already come up in the thread (im not reading all 90 pages) but for some reason i have a huge urge to find out what it was.

This was definitely the game, but I still can't find the name or anything about it online.

I remember the scorpion ship too, it was one of the best ships in the game because it was so fast and manueverable. I can remember the orange laser beams it shot from it stingers. You could capture enemy ships by using the tractor beam when they were disabled ships to use them in the campaign, I also remember the cut scene he speaks of.

Thesoldier fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 24, 2012

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants
Are you talking about freespace?
I remember there being a ship called the scorpion in it.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.

Juc66 posted:

Are you talking about freespace?
I remember there being a ship called the scorpion in it.

I found it after a bunch of digging, the game was called Star Crusader, it was made before Wing Commander.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Back in the early 2000's I played an RTS similar to Empire Earth but it had a distinct Asian (Chinese?) theme as in it was based upon Chinese mythology, history, etc. I don't really remember much else other than that but hopefully someone has more of an idea what I'm talking about! :)

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Thesoldier posted:

I found it after a bunch of digging, the game was called Star Crusader, it was made before Wing Commander.

I remember that, I got it free with a 'free games magazine' (CD Power) sometime in the mid to lateish 90s. It was really easy and I only played it once and ploughed through it. I still have the disk somewhere. I enjoyed it but it was literally zero challenge.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Upmarket Mango posted:

Back in the early 2000's I played an RTS similar to Empire Earth but it had a distinct Asian (Chinese?) theme as in it was based upon Chinese mythology, history, etc. I don't really remember much else other than that but hopefully someone has more of an idea what I'm talking about! :)

Battle Realms?

Rockem posted:

First is a PS1 game. Science fiction, third person perspective. All I remember are these holograms that pop up and say "Nayzheer" when you interact with them. I think it had some kind of racing tube game too.

It doesn't really fit but Sentient maybe?

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?

Upmarket Mango posted:

Three Kingdoms: Fate of the Dragon?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

ClownSyndrome posted:

Three Kingdoms: Fate of the Dragon?

Yes! That's it! Thank you! I suddenly got a craving to play it all after all these years.

rockem
Aug 4, 2010

HoldYourFire posted:

It doesn't really fit but Sentient maybe?

Checked out Sentient on Youtube and it wasn't it, but the sidebar videos had Fade to Black which is the game I'm thinking of. So thanks for pointing me in the right direction. :)

And I think the RPG I was looking for is prolly Daggerfall, which I've shamefully never played. But the Ultima tip helped out too, so thanks Joe Man.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I played a fighting game on the Genesis or SNES probably 17 years ago. All I remember is that the game used really dark colors, and one of the characters was an old robed wizard who could throw tornadoes at people.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I remember a PC game from the mid-90s at a friends house. All I remember was that it was a shooter, but at one point, there was a pool table and you had to shoot a specific ball?

gedet
Jun 25, 2012
There was this game on Windows 1998 where you were a mouse and you had to block in cats with said blocks, and eat cheese. Any idea?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

gedet posted:

There was this game on Windows 1998 where you were a mouse and you had to block in cats with said blocks, and eat cheese. Any idea?

Rodent's Revenge?

gedet
Jun 25, 2012

ponzicar posted:

Rodent's Revenge?
yeah, that's it thanks a lot

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Truman Sticks posted:

I played a fighting game on the Genesis or SNES probably 17 years ago. All I remember is that the game used really dark colors, and one of the characters was an old robed wizard who could throw tornadoes at people.

Was it "The Immortal"?

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011

I'm 99% positive that it was a one-on-one fighting game like SF or MK, but there's always the slim possibility that it was a side-scrolling action game. But I know for a fact that it was a 2D perspective. Thanks though!

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Truman Sticks posted:

The SNES isn't 17 years old, is it? :ohdear: drat, I got old all of a sudden.

Content: I vaguely remember an old PC space trading and combat game. It had a top down 2d environment, and the only thing I vaguely remember is getting a one-use green goop item early on in the game which let you travel to a distant location in a very short time. The name of the item had something to do with reactor coating.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax

Truman Sticks posted:

Eternal Champions maybe? One of the characters loosely fits the description, don't think he had any whirlwind attacks though. If not see if anything here looks familiar:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/list-86
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/list-86

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Soylent Yellow posted:

The SNES isn't 17 years old, is it? :ohdear: drat, I got old all of a sudden.

Content: I vaguely remember an old PC space trading and combat game. It had a top down 2d environment, and the only thing I vaguely remember is getting a one-use green goop item early on in the game which let you travel to a distant location in a very short time. The name of the item had something to do with reactor coating.
Wasn't Solar Winds by any chance, was it?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Cass posted:

Eternal Champions maybe? One of the characters loosely fits the description, don't think he had any whirlwind attacks though.

If I remember right, Xavier does have a crouching fierce that shoots a tornado.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
So this was back in the early 2000s or late 90s. It was an adventure game, I think. I also remember it centered around a junkyard or scrap yard. All I can remember is a puzzle that involved a tuning fork. Anything?

EDIT: I kind of had a cartoony art style to it, IIRC.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Thom and the Heads posted:

So this was back in the early 2000s or late 90s. It was an adventure game, I think. I also remember it centered around a junkyard or scrap yard. All I can remember is a puzzle that involved a tuning fork. Anything?

Time period doesn't match up, but Beneath a Steel Sky had a tuning fork puzzle in it and is great and is free. I seem to recall -a lot- of tuning fork puzzles in adventure games.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
Arcade game from the early/mid-90s. It was an "on rails" space combat game with shaded (but probably not textured) 3D graphics. The version I played had a sit-down cabinet. Gameplay consisted of flying over and around huge capital ships, fending off enemy fighters, knocking out gun emplacements, etc. You'd loop back round for several passes of the same ships. Frame rates were nice and smooth and the game generally felt very slick, if a little short-lived. May have even been a laserdisc-based game, but it didn't contain any hokey "live action" nonsense, just well-rendered Tron-esque 3D graphics.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Sonance posted:

Arcade game from the early/mid-90s. It was an "on rails" space combat game with shaded (but probably not textured) 3D graphics. The version I played had a sit-down cabinet. Gameplay consisted of flying over and around huge capital ships, fending off enemy fighters, knocking out gun emplacements, etc. You'd loop back round for several passes of the same ships. Frame rates were nice and smooth and the game generally felt very slick, if a little short-lived. May have even been a laserdisc-based game, but it didn't contain any hokey "live action" nonsense, just well-rendered Tron-esque 3D graphics.

I don't suppose this would be StarBlade or Galaxian3?

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

First Time Caller posted:

I played this game for Windows 3.1, it was semi educational i think?

I remember some crazy white haired mad scientist or some poo poo, and you helped him test and build poo poo. I remember something about a big zeppelin. gently caress I wish I could provide more.

And there was another 3.1 game I played. There were a bunch of robots that asked a bunch of questions and something happened if you answered it right. It had something to do with a tv station or a radio tower or something?

This is from forever ago but was this Connections? I liked the heck out of that game and I just found out it was a British TV show too. Maybe not British, but some sort of television program(me).

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Ok, so heregoes. When I was a kid, my dad used to play this first person shooter-type game where you played this spaceship, and you flew around on planets picking up powerups and different guns and stuff. One of which was like the BFG-9000 or something. And you would fly into these pyramids and fight bosses that looked like giant snakes. I remember a kind of scenic desert level. The BFG gun wasn't actually a gun, but a missle, and it exploded and killed every enemy around you. I'm sure it was 3-D... but I can't think of the name at all.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

FisheyStix posted:

Ok, so heregoes. When I was a kid, my dad used to play this first person shooter-type game where you played this spaceship, and you flew around on planets picking up powerups and different guns and stuff. One of which was like the BFG-9000 or something. And you would fly into these pyramids and fight bosses that looked like giant snakes. I remember a kind of scenic desert level. The BFG gun wasn't actually a gun, but a missle, and it exploded and killed every enemy around you. I'm sure it was 3-D... but I can't think of the name at all.

Sounds kinda sorta like Terminal Velocity.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU6ti5Ng6hg

The only other games I know kinda like that are Descent 1, 2 and 3 and forsaken 64

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It definitely isn't the Descent games, I thought of those at first too but the only part that really matches is the BFG Missile (which in this case would be Earthshaker Missiles). There isn't really anything scenic or snakey about them.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Terminal Velocity! Of course! I knew it wasn't the Descent Games. He played those too, and I loved the hell out of them, but this is definitely it. The planet selection screen triggered a Vietnam flashback of fun. Thanks, guys!

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

For some reason I'm thinking American Mcgee's Scrapland. It had sort of adventure game elements where you could take control of various types of robots to accomplish tasks. It also had an aerial shooter type thing going on where you would build a ship out of scrap parts then fight against other ships.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

moller posted:

I don't suppose this would be StarBlade or Galaxian3?
StarBlade looks about right, and I though it might have had "Star" somewhere in the title, but didn't know if my memory was playing tricks on me (I only played it once or twice for about 5-10 minutes about 18 years ago!).

Interesting that the Wikiepedia article for the game mentions it being an influence on Star Fox, because I almost compared it to that game in my original post.

So, mystery solved. Cheers!

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

The first thing that came to mind was Full Throttle, which fits the cartoony/adventure/junkyard side of things, but then it was released in 95 and I don't recall a tuning fork puzzle (although given the game's subject matter it probably should do!).

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

FisheyStix posted:

This has to be Fury3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_8tSpXLuK8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
If not that, then Terminal velocity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLyrXTL683g

which appears to be nearly the exact game made by the same team