Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
Thanks for the info. Sadly the guy with the SMR has never responded. He was selling it so cheap it might have been snapped up in the day or so before I saw the ad. That's the second ad this week I've gotten no response from...an "it's sold" would be nice. That or take down the ad.

So anyway, $7500 a decent deal for a 2008 SMC? Around 4k miles, much less than my 2008 Ninja. If not I can keep looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
I'm pretty sure the 2008 SMC is still 654cc. The 2012 SMC (which isn't in america) is the 690cc engine version.

Edit: sold, nvm.

$7500 is average, depending on your area. Supply is low (non existent in some areas). Buy it!

Old news since the SMR is gone, but Google found this:

quote:

my friend works for KTM and I asked him the same questions, here is his answer:

First off, we don't offer the SM's past 2007, just the SMR and SMC (which is new for the model year). The SMR and the SMC have completely different chassis geometry.

For riding styles, the SMR has a much more aggressive riding style, where at the SMC has more of a dirt-bike feel to it. With the SMR you will be forced to sit at the front portion of the seat and on the SMC you can ride comfortably at most any position of the seat. I'm not sure how tall you are, but if you are tall (over 6'2 or 3") you might find the SMR a bit uncomfortable. Either way, the SMC will be all-out more comfortable. It also has no subframe, as the plastic tank that resides under the seat doubles as the subframe. The fill hole for the tank is to the rear of the seat. The SMR, however, has the traditional top-mounted tank, so it may be slightly more top-heavy, although not that bad.

As far as handling goes, I'm venturing out on a limb to say the SMR has better handling all around due to how low it is off the ground and the suspension geometry. They both use a linked rear suspension and use a Trellix-style frame so they're very rigid. I haven't had a chance to ride an SMC yet as we don't have one in our Demo lineup. I am supposed to be taking delivery on one early this week, so when I get it uncrated and PDI'd, I'll snap a few pics for you. We had one in Vegas, but it was a loaner bike from Austria and they needed it back after the ride.

source

There is an abandoned/shut down elementary school near my house, I've been messing around on the flat top there recently. With the stock exhaust, lawn mowers drown my 690 out; I love the stealth. I was trying "gymkhana", weaving around a man hole cover and the state of Maine (those black top USA maps :v:). I'm looking forward to going back!

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 22, 2012

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Gullous posted:

I'm pretty sure the 2008 SMC is still 654cc. The 2012 SMC (which isn't in america) is the 690cc engine version.

It is. The new Dukes and SMCs are 690cc, everything before was 654cc with different cams. The previous Duke and SMC shared a hotter cam, with the R model mostly being trim as far as I know.

QnoisX: get the SMC, I've ridden quite a few motorcycles and I still haven't found anything I'd rather have.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Thanks guys! I'll call him after work today and see about meeting up. It's an 8 hour or so drive so maybe he'll meet me part of the way. I'll have to go in a truck to pick it up cause he's got a whole box of stock parts that go with it. That plus my sister won't drive me up there so I could possibly ride it home. I still don't have a bike ramp, but it's so light maybe it won't be an issue. I can grab a 2x6 or something.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Two guys should be able to lift that bike into the bed of a truck one end at a time.

EDIT: I'd still bring the 2x6 incase he has a bad back or some other reason that precludes him from deadlifting motorcycles.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I always just rent a trailer from The Home Depot. $25 dollars gets you 24 hours' worth of trailer. They have surge brakes and tie down staples perfect for bikes. They also have a nice wide (the width of the trailer) ramp perfect for bikes.

It might to be hard to see in this picture, but the trailer fits my KLR650 with room to spare. I don't know if one would hold a Goldwing or Road King, but any supermoto should fit perfectly.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Friend of mine making the most of having to emigrate to Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPZm_wndh70

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Why do people twist the handlebars while wheelying? I would want to keep it laser straight.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Safety Dance posted:

Why do people twist the handlebars while wheelying? I would want to keep it laser straight.

you can steer to some extent and correct imbalances by turning the bars, it only has to be straight when landing

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

echomadman posted:

you can steer to some extent and correct imbalances by turning the bars, it only has to be straight when landing

Huh. That makes sense. I don't wheelie much, obviously.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Looks like the deal is done. He does have a bike ramp, so loading it up shouldn't be a problem. He does live a bit further away than I thought, around 9 hours. So now I'm just trying to decide if I want to camp out for a night or hit up a hotel. Probably end up camping out, have a new tent I haven't had a chance to try out yet.

That trailer is pretty nice, didn't know they even had them for rent. But I should be fine with the truck.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

echomadman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7syR-joOU

It's also handy when you're rolling long ones because you don't have to hold the thing straight, you can just let it rest on the stops.

Also good for seeing down the road, because you can look under the higher handlebar.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

Ah well, no hooligans for me. The seller backed out for now at least. He couldn't find the title and can't get a replacement soonest. Guess I have a deposit to make Monday and camping gear to put up. Blah..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echomadman posted:

Friend of mine making the most of having to emigrate to Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPZm_wndh70

Worth it for the soundtrack alone

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I picked up my 2008 WR250X for $5,000 on the 5th and Finally got around to getting a few pictures of it. So far it's been a blast. It's got enough power to handle I5 commutes. It handles amazingly well and I know I haven't even gotten close to the bikes limits yet. The cargo rack on it is pretty awesome and fabbed by the previous owner. I need to get a better net for it though. I lost one of my shoes on the ride home when I picked it up.

My only complaints are the lack of Tach, not that it's really needed but I'm used to having one. The wind at highway speeds sucks since it's directed right into my chest. I'm working on making a small windshield to try and direct the air up a bit. And lastly it's a bit tall for me so I'll either get a yamalink or a shorter and more comfortable seat for it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That racks pretty sweet.

Also, the supermoto tach works like this: Shift when the front wheel lands.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Welcome to the WR250 family! I'm having so much fun with mine on a daily basis that it doesn't even bother me that my Husky is probably going to be down for a bit while I attempt to rejet the carb.

Word is renazco seats are the best and cheaper than Corbin. There's also these two.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

Welcome to the WR250 family! I'm having so much fun with mine on a daily basis that it doesn't even bother me that my Husky is probably going to be down for a bit while I attempt to rejet the carb.

Word is renazco seats are the best and cheaper than Corbin. There's also these two.

Anyone else have experience with those Renazco seats? I badly need something a little lower and more comfortable for my DRZ and I'd been thinking I'd just cough up for a Corbin. The Renazco seat is only ~$30 cheaper.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Renazco seats are supposed to be streets above, but I emailed him last month and seats ordered then wouldn't be shipped until September. I got a Seat Concepts seat for my Husqvarna, and it's very comfortable. I think it arrived at my door less than a week after I ordered.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ought ten posted:

Anyone else have experience with those Renazco seats? I badly need something a little lower and more comfortable for my DRZ and I'd been thinking I'd just cough up for a Corbin. The Renazco seat is only ~$30 cheaper.

Whatever you do, don't go for the Suzuki gel seat. It's lower, but about 10x more uncomfortable than the stock seat. My drz came with the gel seat installed (and the stocker in a box), and I put the stocker back on and it's like an amazing upgrade from the gel seat.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
I can't really imagine a seat 10 times more uncomfortable than the stock seat.

It took me a while to get used to not having a Tach, I'm never 100% sure if I'm stressing the bike or if I'm playing it too safe.

I think I need to find an empty lot to practice wheelies in. It's not that I do them all the time, but when I do I'd like to be able to control it better.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Olde Weird Tip posted:

My drz came with the gel seat installed (and the stocker in a box), and I put the stocker back on and it's like an amazing upgrade from the gel seat.

So did mine, I rode around on it for two months thinking if this is the gel seat wtf is the stock seat like, swapped them one day on a whim and was amazed to find the stock seat is pretty comfortable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Resource posted:

I can't really imagine a seat 10 times more uncomfortable than the stock seat.

It took me a while to get used to not having a Tach, I'm never 100% sure if I'm stressing the bike or if I'm playing it too safe.

I think I need to find an empty lot to practice wheelies in. It's not that I do them all the time, but when I do I'd like to be able to control it better.

Yeah, the stock seat is like a couch compared to the gel one.

The tach is the rev-limiter. You know you've gone far enough when you hit it.

Or if you still have the stock header, you know you've gone far enough when the power falls off up top before the limiter.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Gnaghi posted:

I was looking at the seat concepts kit since it's supposed to be more comfortable. I havent tried lowering the forks or rear shock block yet either. Been too busy on the weekends working on my teams lemons car lately. So far I've just been getting on by leaving the kickstand down and stepping up on the foot pegs.

I also need to find a place near me that I can hoon about. I also want to practice wheelies since I haven't really done that on any bike I've owned.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah it's a good idea to find a nice lot to hoon about in so you don't get fed up and start doing it on your way to work or something. I've gotten chased out of a few, one I found is gated off (cut through the woods) so I have it all to myself and one the cops saw me and didn't care. Having the stock exhaust goes a long way too.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Renazco seats are supposed to be streets above, but I emailed him last month and seats ordered then wouldn't be shipped until September. I got a Seat Concepts seat for my Husqvarna, and it's very comfortable. I think it arrived at my door less than a week after I ordered.

Thanks for this and all the other seat advice. I'm glad I still have the stock seat on my DRZ.

The link I quoted says you need to install the foam and cover from Seat Concepts on a stock seat pan for the WRX. Is that true for the DRZ, too? Is it tough to do, or possible without screwing everything up?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

ought ten posted:

Thanks for this and all the other seat advice. I'm glad I still have the stock seat on my DRZ.

The link I quoted says you need to install the foam and cover from Seat Concepts on a stock seat pan for the WRX. Is that true for the DRZ, too? Is it tough to do, or possible without screwing everything up?

It took me about an hour on my Husky. Use a flat head screwdriver to remove all the staples holding the stock upholstery on your seat, and use a staple gun with 1/4" staples to attach the new one. There are some videos on line explaining how to re-upholster a motorcycle seat.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Gnaghi posted:

Yeah it's a good idea to find a nice lot to hoon about in so you don't get fed up and start doing it on your way to work or something. I've gotten chased out of a few, one I found is gated off (cut through the woods) so I have it all to myself and one the cops saw me and didn't care. Having the stock exhaust goes a long way too.

I heard that one spot I usually drift at when it snows got speed bumps and some signs set up by the local police. It really sucks since its the only place around that's sort of big and not next to a busy road. I think the ricer crowd ruined it for everyone by drag racing at it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ridin stairs like a boss

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk7/zimm18/?action=view&current=escaltor006.mp4

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

I saw the video name and figured it was someone riding up the down escalator so he could go up stairs forever. Glad I wasn't far off.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Ordered a pod filter (K&N RU-1750) for the SMC, and I have a TuneECU compatible ODB2->USB adapter and KTM 6-pin adapter on the way from lonelec. Planning on ordering the SC-Project exhaust when I get paid this week, then hopefully the fun will begin...

...or I'll brick my ECU and/or blow up my motor.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Ordered a pod filter (K&N RU-1750) for the SMC, and I have a TuneECU compatible ODB2->USB adapter and KTM 6-pin adapter on the way from lonelec. Planning on ordering the SC-Project exhaust when I get paid this week, then hopefully the fun will begin...

...or I'll brick my ECU and/or blow up my motor.

It seems SC Project might have a sale or just don't update their site. I ordered an exhaust for my SM last week and when they got back to me with a price it was lower including shipping than the listed price. Now i just have to wait for it to show up.

Just how long is shipping from Italy to Australia?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Aargh posted:

It seems SC Project might have a sale or just don't update their site. I ordered an exhaust for my SM last week and when they got back to me with a price it was lower including shipping than the listed price. Now i just have to wait for it to show up.

Just how long is shipping from Italy to Australia?

Bear in mind they would have taken off the Italian VAT (22%) because you are a non-EC customer. I've seen the system they make for the SM model, it's gorgeous and it sounds great too.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Bear in mind they would have taken off the Italian VAT (22%) because you are a non-EC customer. I've seen the system they make for the SM model, it's gorgeous and it sounds great too.

Ah that might be it, the price difference would be about right. Silly of them not to advertise this on their site (or my fault for not seeing it) I delayed for a fair while on getting it because of the price.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I know, I think a lot more international buyers would be cool with them charging 120EUR postage if they knew they were taking that much again off in tax. I'm used to enquiring about VAT because where I live, while geographically we reside inside the EU we aren't a member of the EC and don't charge VAT.

Currently having an email back-and-forth with SC-Project trying to explain how I should be getting the VAT off but only get charged for UK postage (15 EUR vs. the 120 they're trying to charge). It's frustrating enough when I have to explain this to English people when I order from the UK but explaining it to Italians is :suicide:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Holy intake noise Batman!

Also: Regained space! I could fit a tool box in there let alone a tool roll.

K&N arrived and I couldn't resist a test fit, then I couldn't resist starting her up, then I couldn't resist going for a gentle plod around the block.

Even without adjusting the fuel mapping she started fine, good idle, revs freely with no more popping than normal. This is no-doubt mostly because I'm still running the stock header and silencer. On acceleration the intake noise is actually louder than the exhaust! She's lost a little something on the very low end (undoubtedly too lean), mid feels about the same and I didn't go above 5k for fear of angering the Orange Gods. Going to start loving around with TuneECU tomorrow and see if I can get her running OK on this configuration and then I'll have some experience for the final entweakening when the can gets here from SC.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 27, 2012

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
There are a handful of TuneECU maps for various configurations; akra slip on, the open evo airbox, and both. I have an FMF Q2 and even with the akra map there is still a small flat spot down low.

Eventually I'd like to take it to a dyno and have it tuned, but :10bux:x many.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Awwww yissss

Old and (actually) busted:

New Hotness:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I recommend avoiding long trips on the interstate, my blinkers disappeared at some point on a extended interstate trip...as did my license plate. Not that you would want to take a DRZ on the interstate anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Locktite, locknuts, and safety wire...then your fender just breaks off.

• Locked thread