Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pacra posted:

did we already talk about this yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I don't think we've had this much fun with an image since BoobCap.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Somebody needs to invent a method to buy negative copies of books.

It's called shoplifting

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This one comes from JS #46 (2003). Art by Sal Velluto.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Baron Bifford posted:

Best part of this page is Power Girl doing a little dance move in the second panel.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Bought this from some collectibles guy who set up at the mall.

The insides are fine, but I dunno what's up with Bizarro Supergirl and her horrific booblumps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

reallivedinosaur posted:

Bought this from some collectibles guy who set up at the mall.

The insides are fine, but I dunno what's up with Bizarro Supergirl and her horrific booblumps.

Well she *is* a shapeshifter.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That explains the horrible case of jaundice she seems to have going :ohdear:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

So is Grant buried in Superman's tomb?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Baron Bifford posted:

"The bank of England's mass of debt and credit could contain her not at all. Erupting in a waterspout of krugerrands, she showered in blood and gold while from a thousand fluttering notes the queen looked on, as ever uninterested." :v:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Baron Bifford posted:

Say what you will, at least Powergirl is drawn like an actual female bodybuilder instead of a supermodel with DD cups.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mister Roboto posted:

Say what you will, at least Powergirl is drawn like an actual female bodybuilder instead of a supermodel with DD cups.
Supermodels these days have stick limbs. Power Girl is always been drawn buff, and every other artist has done it better than this. There is no excuse for this horrible art.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 26, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

She looks like a caveman in the first panel, and in the second panel she looks TOTALLY DIFFERENT, like it's not even the same person.

Also they both look really bored with this situation, both in expression and movement. That guy just pulled down a building by moving his arm a little - how about some dynamic movement? It just looks lazy, like he wanted to draw as few expressions/poses as possible.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Speaking of Power Girl I just want to say how much I love Amanda Conner.

Just look at this sequence.

Everything about it is amazing. Power Girl's confused expression, the terrified body language of the little triangle things when they think she's going to eat them. There's so much going on here with PG's eyes and mouth and her posture. And it's all done in such a subtle, fun way.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Amanda Conner MADE the Power Girl series, it should be no surprise it faltered when she left. She had a real talent.

But (and I love Amanda Conner's work) her PG was definitely not a bodybuilder, showing the aforementioned issue I was talking about.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Mister Roboto posted:

Amanda Conner MADE the Power Girl series, it should be no surprise it faltered when she left. She had a real talent.

But (and I love Amanda Conner's work) her PG was definitely not a bodybuilder, showing the aforementioned issue I was talking about.
Do you have a good example of her drawn like that? Because the closest I've seen in Adam Hughes giving her some toned arms.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Who cares if super-strong heroes and villains look buff or not? Spidey can lift 10 tons but he doesn't look like the Ultimate Warrior.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward

Happy Hippo posted:

Who cares if super-strong heroes and villains look buff or not? Spidey can lift 10 tons but he doesn't look like the Ultimate Warrior.
It matters for some characters. She-Hulk needs to be drawn a with a certain amount of "buff-ness" or else it looks weird.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Happy Hippo posted:

No, but I wouldn't complain one bit if Spider-Man did look like him.

"What if the Ultimate Warrior gained spider powers?" is a comic I'd read the poo poo out of.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

No, but I wouldn't complain one bit if Spider-Man did look like him.

"What if the Ultimate Warrior gained spider powers?" is a comic I'd read the poo poo out of.

He would be able to sneak into peoples houses to tell them that Queering doesnt make the world work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I for one would love a character who gets spider powers and decides to take up wrestling. He'd probably have a flashy costume and everything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

I for one would love a character who gets spider powers and decides to take up wrestling. He'd probably have a flashy costume and everything.

There was, he was called Spider-man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thanks! I'll check him out.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Happy Hippo posted:

It occurred to me once that it would be even harder for a magically super-powered person to bulk up, since it would take so much more to actually strain their muscles. Like, whatever a person would have to do to get a physique like Superman's, Superman would have to lift like 1,000 times that. Yeah, yeah, I know, the huge muscles are essentially just a visual symbol for a visual medium.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Happy Hippo posted:

I have a problem with this too.

When someone gets super strength from some sort of 'magic' force, there's no reason for them to work out. They just are super strong.

Spiderman is a lanky teen, gets 'magic' superpowers - it makes sense for him to still be a lanky teen.

Wolverine needs to work out. Batman needs to work out. Superman does not!

But how does Superman get his pump? The guy could lift all the dumbell factories on Earth, and it would be like me deadlifting a half eaten marshmallow - maybe less so.

This guy would have to take a jupiter sized planet to the surface of a neutron star and lift it to feel any sort of burn. For like 5 hours a day.

It doesn't make sense. Why would Superman be all swole? It bugs me when he's portrayed or drawn that way. He's supposed to be a pretty much average dude.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

reallivedinosaur posted:

I have a problem with this too.

When someone gets super strength from some sort of 'magic' force, there's no reason for them to work out. They just are super strong.

Spiderman is a lanky teen, gets 'magic' superpowers - it makes sense for him to still be a lanky teen.

Wolverine needs to work out. Batman needs to work out. Superman does not!

But how does Superman get his pump? The guy could lift all the dumbell factories on Earth, and it would be like me deadlifting a half eaten marshmallow - maybe less so.

This guy would have to take a jupiter sized planet to the surface of a neutron star and lift it to feel any sort of burn. For like 5 hours a day.

It doesn't make sense. Why would Superman be all swole? It bugs me when he's portrayed or drawn that way. He's supposed to be a pretty much average dude.

If we're to disregard the real reasons they are given muscles, Superman's alien physiology easily handwaves away a lot of things, like how the lenses of his eyes can focus unimaginably far while never being any bigger than an average human's. Maybe he doesn't need to work as hard at building muscles as we do or his body works like a regular human's up to a certain point past which Kryptonian super blood takes over and provides the rest of his strength or abilities.

Spider-Man isn't necessarily all that big. There are so many variations from artists that there's no one true look to Spider-Man, either in size or definition. But the spider bite didn't just grant him magic powers; it changed his body. The same way a lanky boy's body is suddenly much more receptive to muscle building through puberty could be the same process going on after the bite. Puberty 2.0 essentially. You could also wonder why a spider bite would correct his vision.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Lobok posted:

If we're to disregard the real reasons they are given muscles, Superman's alien physiology easily handwaves away a lot of things, like how the lenses of his eyes can focus unimaginably far while never being any bigger than an average human's. Maybe he doesn't need to work as hard at building muscles as we do or his body works like a regular human's up to a certain point past which Kryptonian super blood takes over and provides the rest of his strength or abilities.

Spider-Man isn't necessarily all that big. There are so many variations from artists that there's no one true look to Spider-Man, either in size or definition. But the spider bite didn't just grant him magic powers; it changed his body. The same way a lanky boy's body is suddenly much more receptive to muscle building through puberty could be the same process going on after the bite. Puberty 2.0 essentially. You could also wonder why a spider bite would correct his vision.

Spider-man usually is said to vaguely have some improved healing, not as extreme as wolverine but more like healing from broken bones and bruises over a few days instead of weeks. I suppose that could justify greater ease in building muscle as well as his vision self-correcting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dacap posted:

Spider-man usually is said to vaguely have some improved healing, not as extreme as wolverine but more like healing from broken bones and bruises over a few days instead of weeks. I suppose that could justify greater ease in building muscle as well as his vision self-correcting.

Yeah, my point was more about how muscles are probably the most plausible change or ability for superheroes but the healing factor would help with Spider-Man's muscles, true.

Funny you bring up Wolverine's healing factor though. Correcting vision isn't really "healing" in the sense that something is injured or being attacked by disease. It's just something that should be better, or it's the way things should be. Much like how Wolverine when he heals from being blown up gets his hair back just as it was as if the hair was hurt and needed fixing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I think every superhero needs some sort of limited healing factor to explain why they aren't disfigured paraplegics after countless brutal fights.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Superman worked at a farm from age 0 to 30. I don't care how Kryptonian he is, after that he's going to be buff as hell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DarkCrawler posted:

Superman worked at a farm from age 0 to 30. I don't care how Kryptonian he is, after that he's going to be buff as hell.

He left the farm at 18 or younger in pretty much every version of the origin.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

He left the farm at 18 or younger in pretty much every version of the origin.

Really, I thought he was like 25 at the least when he went to Metropolis etc. I haven't read Superman in years though, so...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I get annoyed when artists draw all superheroes as having the SAME muscular physique. In particular, Ed McGuinness and Bart Sears make everyone look like steroid-freak bodybuilders. Aquaman, Flash, Batman, and Superman should all have very different physiques due to swimming, running, martial arts/gymnastics, and just being super-strong -- all muscular, but with very different body types. The archers should all have pretty built arms, but nowhere near the overall ripped physiques Superman has, and the same goes for someone like Kyle Rayner, who has almost no physical training before becoming a superhero.

Marvel tends to be better at differentiating their characters, especially if an artist lined up Luke Cage (or Thor), Captain America, Daredevil, Spider-Man, and Wolverine.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Really, I thought he was like 25 at the least when he went to Metropolis etc. I haven't read Superman in years though, so...

Weisinger's Superman went to college at 18; that's when he meets Lori Lemaris. Byrne's Superman went to college too and then spent years afterward flying around the world in secret. That's probably where you're getting the 25 from.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

I like this theory because it accounts for animated Jor-El also being built like a brick shithouse despite being a scientist.

Kryptonians are just burly dudes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Fallen Rib

TwoPair posted:

I like this theory because it accounts for animated Jor-El also being built like a brick shithouse despite being a scientist.

Kryptonians are just burly dudes.

On the flipside Jor-El looking like old Marlon Brando.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This is from Avengers #24 (2012), art by Daniel Acuna. The purple guy is a a hulked-out Norman Osborn. In the bottom left panel, I think there's a serious perspective issue. The characters should all be on the same level (they are attempting to tackle him), but it looks like he's floating and they're try to pull him down.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bottom left panel makes it look like they're trying to feel how strong his muscles are.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Or worshipping him as some sort of god of purply muscles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."
I didn't think they were so much trying to tackle him as they were trying to touch him.

IUG posted:

Bottom left panel makes it look like they're trying to feel how strong his muscles are.

This is pretty much right. Osborn's huge at that moment, after having co-opted the power of the Super Adaptoid, and then all of the Avengers - including Red Hulk. They're trying to overload him with power.

At some point I really want a writer to have that trope backfire on the heroes trying to do it.