Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Gradually working through Psychedelic Eyeball's output (and why wouldn't you? are you some kind of wierdo that hates Canadia? :raise:) and so was checking out Blackthorne on the lparchives.

It's an entirely forgettable platformer which struggles to support a full LP, but it does contain the following gem: Beef and Balls. In which we have Slowbeef impersonating Psychedelic Eyeball and Psychedelic Eyeball impersonating Psychedelic Eyeball Slowbeef. Most entertaining.

Just noticed the timestamp on it too, Aug 2007. Has it really been longer than that since Slowbeef and other's got the whole LP thing going with Darkseed and the like...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
Thank you for recommending what is no doubt Psych's proudest work.

I recently reread Vlaphor's old SSLPs of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and Harvester. They just don't make games this weird and creepy anymore, check them out if you want to see some truly bizarre adventure games.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Cybershell posted:

Thank you for recommending what is no doubt Psych's proudest work.
I think my brain started bleeding after watching this video again.

Anyway, let's remove this sour taste out of our mouth by watching World of Goo! I recently stumbled on this LP, which I put up watching until now for some reason. It's definitely worth a watch; the game is pretty fun and colorful, the game has an awesome soundtrack (which LesBeardly doesn't obscure at all, thanks to his sparse, yet informative and enjoyable commentary). He also edits or fast-forward through the more tedious parts of puzzles without gipping the viewer of the solution and puzzle solving itself.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Cybershell posted:

what is no doubt Psych's proudest work.
Nonsense. Everybody knows this is his greatest gift to the internet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba_f1yF8fQo
:colbert:

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I skimmed the past couple pages of the thread and didn't see anything, but have any goons done a good LP for Portable Ops?

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

McKracken posted:

I skimmed the past couple pages of the thread and didn't see anything, but have any goons done a good LP for Portable Ops?

If you'd skimmed the past couple of pages of the thread then I'd think you'd have seen this.

Proteus4994 posted:

Also there's a new "rule":

8) Lately the thread has been full of "Has anyone done game X?" USE THE loving MASTER LIST! THIS IS WHY IT EXISTS!

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
^^^^^^
Also that, but I give people the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

McKracken posted:

http://lparchive.org/Metal-Gear-Solid-Portable-Ops/

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Proteus4994 posted:

If you'd skimmed the past couple of pages of the thread then I'd think you'd have seen this.

I ctrl + f searched for keywords, so I missed that. Apologies.

Thanks for the link Niggurath.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

McKracken posted:

I ctrl + f searched for keywords, so I missed that. Apologies.

Thanks for the link Niggurath.
Yea, Proteus is just trying to circumvent easily answered questions by pointing out that there's a nice list out there of everything that has been done, is currently being done, or that has been abandoned.

Also since it has finally just had an update and I think that most might be missing out on it, then I highly recommend davidspackage current LP of Stonekeep. Especially with the recent release of the Legend of Grimrock, it's good to see what is one of the more well known precursors to those types of RPG's done by someone that is extremely knowledgeable about the game and has actually gone through the effort of redoing all the subtitles so they're more legible (or it might be because david hates himself...it's hard to say).

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
So I've been reading Didja Redo's LPs recently and I enjoyed them so I'm hoping you guys can point me toward something similar? He does animeesque games (Riveria and currently Avalon Code) in screenshot format and goes out of his way to provide amusing characterization to the various characters that may or may not be 100% true to the source materiel.

So, screen shot LPs with funny / good writing I guess?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Dark Id does very similar things (humorous fake dialogue, mostly mocking the hell out of the game, etc.) And he's done a veritable shitload of games, so get cracking!

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Standard humorous SS LP answers:

Nakar's Ultima 4,5, and 6, Martian Dreams, and Ultima VII and VII-2.

These are by far some of the funniest things to come out of the LP subforum, even if Ultima 4 is a bit more of a setup for all the rest of them.

meteor9 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jun 24, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also some of ddegenha's later LP's, like Secret of Mana, Bahamut Lagoon, and Dragon Warrior II and IV. His earlier ones are great, but more informative.

I also recommend his ongoing Seiken Densetsu 3 run.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

An Actual Bear posted:

I'd be willing to give it a try, I'm one of the few that thinks 2 is the best in the series.

I agree- what little story it had was, in my experience, very good. Too bad there was so little of it.

That tyre swimg :(

An Actual Bear posted:

And yes the ending is certainly a thing.

It certainly was :stare: I certainly wasn't expecting THAT.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yes, I've looked at the master list but I have a specific question:
My favorite VLP of all time is the Lithuanian/British Mercenaries 2 Co-Op game. It was hilarious and charming. Any other VLPs like that out there?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Resident Evil 5 is two guys co-oping and saying funny things and is widely regarded as one of the most hilarious things to come out of LP, so give that a shot.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Just finished reading Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. It's a puzzle mystery game (I guess?), brought to us by the guy behind Ace Attorney series, Shu Takumi. Great art, great music, great plot, and it looks like it has a novel and unique gameplay gimmick.

Haifisch does a good job showing off everything the game has to offer, including random dialog bits from dead-ends, and letting the game speak for itself. I only wish there were a few more videos, as I'm not the best at orienting myself with an incomplete picture of the scene. Maybe that's just me, though.

Just a fair warning: some of the music links are dead. I'm also a fairly slow reader, and having to re-play the music tracks can get a bit annoying, so I recommend just finding the appropriate track in the extended soundtrack, and using that instead.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Seconding this a whole lot; plus it should go without saying that if you enjoy Ghost Trick you will want to start following this Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney thread, PW:AA being a game with a similar style of narrative and humour, and the LP style being similar too.

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent
Hi there! Do you like old nin-ten-do games? Boy do I have 2 LPs for you to watch.

Metroid by kingeffingfrost is something I've been wanting to see done for a while. As someone who has been spoiled by modern games, anything made before the year 1990 is like an excercise in frustration for me. Let's Play Metroid is a straight up, 100% run that goes in-depth about how the game works, why it was designed that way it was, and cool tips and tricks to make your classic metroid experience grand. Also Kingeffingfrost has a pretty good style of commentary.

Although I still don't get what the big deal is with the game itself, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past appears to be almost completed by Meccaprime, and it has been a great opportunity for me to see why everyone likes that one SNES game I never played. For most of you, it will probably be a mix of nostalgia and oh poo poo moments as Mec finds everything the developers intended for you to find (and more!) while keeping up a vulgar cheery demeanor.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Inzombiac posted:

My favorite VLP of all time is the Lithuanian/British Mercenaries 2 Co-Op game. It was hilarious and charming. Any other VLPs like that out there?

This is a fun co-op LP of Crackdown that you might like -- it's not quite as polished or focused even as Mercs 2, but it's a fun game to watch and Ambisagrus and A Wooden Palisade do a lot of goofy loving around. It's actually one of the few LPs that have convinced me to buy the game myself.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Inzombiac posted:

Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus have one of the best co-commentator rapports I've seen in LP history. I highly recommend their Metal Gear Solid LPs (especially Snake Eater), Killer 7 and No More Heroes, and 50 Cent Blood In the Sand.

Solaire
Jun 21, 2012

Lodare il sole
Any of Evil Tim's LPs are pretty solid. The gameplay is decent, but his commentary is what's really good, both funny and insightful.

If you're looking for some seriously impressive gameplay, HideofBeast is the way to go. His minimalist speed runs of Megaman X4-6 are amazing, and his dash-less minimalist runs of X1-3 are worth watching as well, for the commentary if nothing else.

I also second Chip and Ironicus as being great LPers. I particularly enjoyed their MGS LPs. And Kevvl14 is also worth watching (go for his later videos though, his early ones are kind of weak.)

Oh, and of course you should definitely check out billyplaysgames. Here's his Castlevania playthrough. It is one of the best things I have ever seen. ;3

Solaire fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 25, 2012

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
So I was debating whether to mention this, as it's off-site and...I'm sure will not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really feel like anyone who's into Let's Play should at least take a look at these guys.

So this guy Fraser and his friends do a web show called Video Games Awesome which has, over the course of the last year or so, basically become a Let's Play series. At first, it was more of a Giant Bomb type deal where they would only play a few hours of a game, and they still do that sometimes, but recently they've started doing full LPs of games. Basically they play games blind (or at least usually blind) on a stream, but avoid the typical pitfalls of blind play by using the stream chat to give them hints when they're stuck.

You can probably tell what sets them apart just by the stills on their site. They film themselves as they play, and while this is largely a holdover from when they were more like reviewers, they make good use of it with costumes and other visual gags. They have a really charming chemistry, and their blind-plus-stream chat setup actually lets them have the best of both a blind playthrough and a more experienced run.

Also for complicated reasons some of their stuff is on Youtube rather than their main site and vice-versa, so if you like them be sure to check both.

EDIT: If you want a place to start, their Heavy Rain playthrough is absolutely hilarious.

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 25, 2012

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Rocketlex posted:

So I was debating whether to mention this, as it's off-site and...I'm sure will not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really feel like anyone who's into Let's Play should at least take a look at these guys.

So this guy Fraser and his friends do a web show called Video Games Awesome which has, over the course of the last year or so, basically become a Let's Play series. At first, it was more of a Giant Bomb type deal where they would only play a few hours of a game, and they still do that sometimes, but recently they've started doing full LPs of games. Basically they play games blind (or at least usually blind) on a stream, but avoid the typical pitfalls of blind play by using the stream chat to give them hints when they're stuck.

You can probably tell what sets them apart just by the stills on their site. They film themselves as they play, and while this is largely a holdover from when they were more like reviewers, they make good use of it with costumes and other visual gags. They have a really charming chemistry, and their blind-plus-stream chat setup actually lets them have the best of both a blind playthrough and a more experienced run.

Also for complicated reasons some of their stuff is on Youtube rather than their main site and vice-versa, so if you like them be sure to check both.

EDIT: If you want a place to start, their Heavy Rain playthrough is absolutely hilarious.

I like these guys in the same way that I like Tipping 40s. They've got terrific chemistry, I agree and I love watching their reactions and commentary to what they're playing. That being said, there are disadvantages to them doing blind runs, as it's very frustrating to see them get hung up on something that's normally not challenging. If you like funny group LPs, then yeah VGA is definitely worth checking out.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Rocketlex posted:

I used to watch this from time to time a few years back, but over time the main guy became terribly unfunny to the point of being annoying and I stopped watching. He's basically got the sense of humor of a child. It was a lot better when they just did highlight reels of the games they played rather than completely unedited playthroughs.

Really wish they'd go back to making Awesome Video Games instead, but I guess just playing games every day and suckering kids out of their money to get access to the chat for live streams is more profitable.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

SWMadness posted:

I like these guys in the same way that I like Tipping 40s. They've got terrific chemistry, I agree and I love watching their reactions and commentary to what they're playing. That being said, there are disadvantages to them doing blind runs, as it's very frustrating to see them get hung up on something that's normally not challenging. If you like funny group LPs, then yeah VGA is definitely worth checking out.

A shame the videos are all loving atrocious with the stream comments showing and half the screen showing the commentators.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

HUMAN FISH posted:

A shame the videos are all loving atrocious with the stream comments showing and half the screen showing the commentators.

This should be a gaming video sin punishable by getting kicked in the balls. It's probably the biggest problem I have with most Twitch streams.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

HUMAN FISH posted:

Yeah, I actually really liked the Heavy Rain LP, but I would've liked it more if the video quality (that is, the actual game) was higher, they didn't have the chat thing scrolling, and the commentators themselves were smaller, like a picture-in-picture type deal (or shadowrama'd or perhaps not even there at all!) It's not something that would ever work on Something Awful but I can understand the large following they have and they're pretty entertaining.

E: Also the lack of editing would probably make for excruciating videos if Heavy Rain wasn't already a slow paced game.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Declan MacManus posted:

It's not something that would ever work on Something Awful but I can understand the large following they have and they're pretty entertaining.

This is basically my feeling. I'm not so much recommending them as great LPs as I'm saying "If you like LPs, you might like this."

Solaire
Jun 21, 2012

Lodare il sole
Despite that Minecraft LP's don't seem to be too popular around here, I do have to recommend NakaTeleeli's Minecraft series "Journey Home". He uses a lot of interesting mods and has also seemed to created something of a story for it. It's fairly unique and interesting as far as Minecraft LP's go and has a relatively large amount of interesting things going on, unlike a lot of ones out there that are just snoozefests of "herp, and here's me breaking a stone block".

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There sure are a lot of off-site LPs being recommended lately! I guess there's enough of people doing actual decent stuff out there on youtube and other places that some of them are bound to be actually pretty good.

The only Minecraft LP I could ever truly recommend to anyone is the "OOGE" LP of a custom map called Spellbound Caverns. It's a three person LP, with a viewpoint of each player (BDoubleO, Guude, and Etho, hence the weird acronym name OOGE). This isn't a typical Minecraft LP, because the map they're playing is a highly structured and very difficult challenge map. No aimless wandering around, punching trees, or building lovely houses. They also do some editing, so the most tedious or boring stuff isn't in the videos. The personalities are pretty endearing. Guude and BDoubleO have a lot of history and have good chemistrym and are pretty funny, but totally incompetent. Etho is a fairly skilled player and extremely knowledgeable, but manages to fit in pretty well. Even when they're all dying repeatedly, it's still entertaining. With only a few exceptions, any downtime one player is having is mitigated by the fact that all three players record it, you can just watch another's viewpoint instead. The first couple videos aren't the best as they die repeatedly and don't have a great game plan. But once they get into a groove, it becomes quite entertaining.

Anything else these guys do isn't particularly great, but for some reason I really enjoyed that one video series.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
I find some of their Race for the Wool and Ultra Hard Core stuff fairly interesting.
They take Minecraft and make it competitive in a fairly sensible and interesting manner without also being ESPORT SERIOUS.

Race for the Wool has two teams in identical but mirrored courses, having to solve obstacles to get certain coloured wool (hence the name!) Again, everyone records so down times can be skipped and they all have a good chemistry.
That link takes you to Guude's playlist of the first round. Links to all the others should be easy tio find from there should you want to find them.

UHC is essentially Battle Royale but with a mod that stops health regenerating nomrally and varies far more in quality. Sometimes the players run solo, sometimes in teams or pairs and the first two (or is it three?) "seasons" are basic runs to beat the Dragon. And again, all players record so you can find a dude you like and follow them. There's enough of the little buggers that one should strike your fancy.
Here is Ep 1 Season 1 form Guude. Each season is worth a peek though if you want to see a very different take on the Minecraft LP.

Unrelated to Minecraft (no, don't leave), the currently running LP of L.A Noire is pretty drat great. Odds are you know this but just incase you've missed it it's here.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

There sure are a lot of off-site LPs being recommended lately! I guess there's enough of people doing actual decent stuff out there on youtube and other places that some of them are bound to be actually pretty good.

The only Minecraft LP I could ever truly recommend to anyone is the "OOGE" LP of a custom map called Spellbound Caverns. It's a three person LP, with a viewpoint of each player (BDoubleO, Guude, and Etho, hence the weird acronym name OOGE). This isn't a typical Minecraft LP, because the map they're playing is a highly structured and very difficult challenge map. No aimless wandering around, punching trees, or building lovely houses. They also do some editing, so the most tedious or boring stuff isn't in the videos. The personalities are pretty endearing. Guude and BDoubleO have a lot of history and have good chemistrym and are pretty funny, but totally incompetent. Etho is a fairly skilled player and extremely knowledgeable, but manages to fit in pretty well. Even when they're all dying repeatedly, it's still entertaining. With only a few exceptions, any downtime one player is having is mitigated by the fact that all three players record it, you can just watch another's viewpoint instead. The first couple videos aren't the best as they die repeatedly and don't have a great game plan. But once they get into a groove, it becomes quite entertaining.

Anything else these guys do isn't particularly great, but for some reason I really enjoyed that one video series.

Probably because most of the other custom maps are kind of rear end. I can remember plenty of Spellbound locations but the other maps are a blur of open areas with no real definable landmarks. Guude and BdoubleO also get pretty petulant and whiny on their own, but this ends up creating more unintentional comedy more often than not (bitch about people telling them to eat spider eyes 5 months ago and now everyone's injecting them into their veins in custom maps these days).

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I'm seeing a lot of Earthbound LP's on youtube and they all seem really bad that I'm looking at. Since there's so many and it's hard to tell if any of them pick up later on or not... can anyone recommend one? It kind of has to be video though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm seeing a lot of Earthbound LP's on youtube and they all seem really bad that I'm looking at. Since there's so many and it's hard to tell if any of them pick up later on or not... can anyone recommend one? It kind of has to be video though.

Are you sure? Video seems like a really bad format to handle game like Earthbound.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Maremidon posted:

Are you sure? Video seems like a really bad format to handle game like Earthbound.

People have made successful roguelikes into video man, I watch them while I'm coding away. I need some somewhat watchable background video that isn't TOO engaging or I go batshit and can't concentrate on my work. It's hosed up.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

People have made successful roguelikes into video man, I watch them while I'm coding away. I need some somewhat watchable background video that isn't TOO engaging or I go batshit and can't concentrate on my work. It's hosed up.

SDA Marathon
Group of people playing through Earthbound (quickly) with commentary on what's happening. It's a neat run to watch if you're already familiar with Earthbound and want to see how badly it can be broken. It's not really a 'lets play' but it's probably the only format in which I'd watch a video of Earthbound.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

uPen posted:

SDA Marathon
Group of people playing through Earthbound (quickly) with commentary on what's happening. It's a neat run to watch if you're already familiar with Earthbound and want to see how badly it can be broken. It's not really a 'lets play' but it's probably the only format in which I'd watch a video of Earthbound.

This is perfect for me, thanks for the excellent suggestion!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

dvorak posted:

Just posted this in the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter thread, but I had to share it here. An extremely unique YouTube LP for Wasteland that justifies making a Video LP for a game with no real sound or music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s
Not only did he make a full custom intro, this guy does the whole game as a true role-play experience, basically as if he he were a GM, and the players. He tells a full narraitive and uses the game as a vector to tell the story, briefly pausing to explain the mechanics in 'out of character' moments.

It's awesome, and I'm definitely going to check out his Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 LPs that are insanely comprehensive, and given the same treatment at like 800+ parts each.

No idea how this guy isn't legendary in the YouTube LP community. He has an incredible voice too.

Want to reiterate that this guy is awesome and should really be making money in the audiobook business or some other voice over work. He really has a knack for it! :)

Rocketlex posted:

I finished watching through the whole Heavy Rain LP by VGA, and while I really enjoyed the green screen set-up and fan chat throughout the Let's Play, I must say that an otherwise really enjoyable LP was severely hampered by the main guy playing the game. The guy in the back seemed to be pretty cool as well as Becky, but god drat was the main guy such an insufferable manchild idiot at times.

At even the slightest implication and provocation that he hosed up, the manchild pretty much raged and shoved blame off to the controls, other people, the chat feed, etc. That signature knee-jerk manchild reaction is really frustrating to deal with, especially in reality (one of my former room mates was kind of manchild-y, although not this bad and much less of a dick).

There were also a lot of moments I felt frustrated by how incompetent and uncreative the main host was and wished he would have just passed the controller on to someone else who was more competent at playing the game and just getting a move on with things instead of just wandering around in the same store over and over again shouting "JASON!" intentionally dragging out what little infantile humor that had from thirty minutes ago into boredom, staleness, and frustration; not to mention a lot of the stupid racist/stereotypical humor.

The main host even mentioned the reason why he was playing instead of the other two was because Becky would just freeze up from the suspense and the other guy would be better at playing the game but silent. I would have much rather have had the guy in the back play constructively and creatively while everyone made jokes/cracks/mocked the game instead of the main host just being an idiot. Plus, there were several moments I literally cringed at how bad the manchild-ness of the main host was.

Plus, they totally dropped the ball on the DLC they literally bought on-screen but never recorded or played.

Instead, here's an alternative LP of the Taxidermist Chronicles DLC by more competent (and funnier) Let's Players: Link

At least with that video you got the feeling they are trying creative solutions and actually wanting to move forward while making fun of the game at the same time instead of loving around for thirty minutes trying to get a cheap laugh without actually trying to progress.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I wanted to recommend Stratafyre's Velvet Aassasin Let's Play. He has very good commentary that is both informative and pretty witty. He seems good enough at the game to make the videos a real treat and knows the game fairly well.

• Locked thread