Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

An observer posted:

anyone know what scorpion helmet this is?

I think this is an EXO400. The 500 has a different face shield, it's not a solid line across the top (and it's got the internal sun visor). The 400 is a solid helmet, I know a lot of people that use them and they're all content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I use one. They were only 50 bucks new for a long time. They're not bad - the padding is surprisingly comfortable. The face shields aren't bad either. I left mine out in the rain a few times on the bike and generally neglect it and it's been pretty solid but the padding is a little worn on the bottom side of the helmet. I'll probably upgrade soon but it's been a good helmet for the length of time I've had it. Airflow could be better and the padding on the interior gives me strange helmet hair but other than that I'd recommend one.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Yeah, it looks like a 400 based on vent placement. On the 500 the vents are above the Scorpion logo. It's pretty much a literal boat anchor weight wise, but if you can get past that they aren't bad helmets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I picked up a pair of Alpinestar GP Pro gloves to protect the old typinators. It's approximately a million degrees outside and 100% humidity, so I guess I'll get a good idea of how well vented they are on the way home tonight. Verdict so far: very protecty, not very good for using the mouse (they were shipped to work).

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I've just purchased a helmet for my courses, Its a Kaos carbon lite. I can't find ANY reviews on the internet. Can I have a rundown by people that might own them? It's a fullface helmet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Looks like they purchased the setup for the HJC AC12 carbon. I've had a few of those and they're decent helmets, never crashed one though. The biggest bonus is the obvious lack of weight, the rest of it is all personal.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
:toot: I got the helmet today and it owns bones! No hotspots, no looseness, brand spankin new, etc.

The best part is, when we were waiting for a light in the car, a guy in all atgatt pulled up behind us. I waved to him with the helmet on and he waved back and everything :allears:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

^A group of motorcycle friends were drinking with me and we ran out of food, so we decided to kit out in our gear (helmet, jackets, gloves) and drive to the supermarket in one car.

The looks we got were totally worth it. I would recommend it to anyone looking for some laughs.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Please tell me you did a shopping cart GP when you got there. Just taking a racing line around the aisles while shopping doesn't count, everyone does that.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
Welp, I'm going up to the mountains on Sunday for the first time in about a year. I've gained enough weight that my good ole 2 piece just doesn't fit anymore so what better excuse to upgrade?

New gear is the best gear :hellyeah:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

MotoMind posted:

Please tell me you did a shopping cart GP when you got there. Just taking a racing line around the aisles while shopping doesn't count, everyone does that.

gently caress, how could we have not thought of this??? That's DEFINITELY happening next time we do this.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bonus points if you lean the carts in the turns.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I absolutely thought of doing that since we were going to the grocery store afterwards. But I'm still a bit unfamiliar with the space the helmet occupies and its weight and all that. Didn't wanna scuff my precious babby just yet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I went into Target one time with my helmet still on (was taking my gloves off first) and one of the workers flipped out and insisted I had to take it off before coming past the entrance. No big, not like I'm just going to do my underpants and deodorant shopping with a full-face on, but it was p funny as the guy got so worked up worried about it. I'm sure it was security reasons, maybe they'd been robbed at gunpoint by a dude in an Arai with a big dragon on it before, who knows.

Nevertheless I'm pretty sure if a small group of dudes in full gear went in and tried loving around cart racing they'd be thrown out / called the cops on pretty quick, so if you're going to do shenanigans like that, gauge the general chill level of the staff first.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Kriega backpack question: I've tried a couple of my old school backpacks before and the problem is in my thick armored jacket I don't have enough range of motion to put them on. I end up awkwardly removing the whole jacket to fill up the backpack, and then struggling to pre-hang the backpack on the arms of the jacket while donning the whole works together. Combine this with trying to juggle keys, wallet, gloves and helmet and you can see why I'm not popular at the grocery store checkout line.

Is there something about the Kriega backpacks that might make them easier to take off and put on while being swaddled in armor?

Currently I'm using a Chrome messenger bag which is uncomfortable, and of which I have come to really hate the design. The only reason I haven't dumped it on craigslist is because I can at least take it off and put it on without causing a traffic jam.

Edit: opening the question up wider -- if not a Kriega, does anyone have any other suggestions?

MonkeyHate fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 23, 2012

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

What's stopping you from just loosening the straps so they're bigger and then retightening later? Are you wearing a suit of armor on the bike?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
My R35 has a harness that connects in the middle of the chest. Since it's wrapping around you horizontally it's not depending on vertical tension around your shoulders to stay put, and the circumference? of the arm openings themselves are a lot bigger than a regular backpack. The R35 is a bit overkill with the harness though, dunno how that applies to the smaller packs. I've had the same issues with non-moto backpacks before but it may also be tied to how restrictive your jacket is / if it has external armor. If you simply cannot pull your arms back from a racing tuck any pack is going to be a hassle.

E: Here is a bad picture showing the R35 chest harness and the extra room for the arms over a regular pack:

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 23, 2012

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

I went into Target one time with my helmet still on (was taking my gloves off first) and one of the workers flipped out and insisted I had to take it off before coming past the entrance. No big, not like I'm just going to do my underpants and deodorant shopping with a full-face on, but it was p funny as the guy got so worked up worried about it. I'm sure it was security reasons, maybe they'd been robbed at gunpoint by a dude in an Arai with a big dragon on it before, who knows.

Here almost all shopping malls, gas stations, banks and other service establishments have stickers or signs at the entrance forbidding people to enter with motorcycle helmets on. It's definitely because of robberies, and I don't think they'd be very happy at the bank if I came in wearing a ski mask either.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

An observer posted:

I absolutely thought of doing that since we were going to the grocery store afterwards. But I'm still a bit unfamiliar with the space the helmet occupies and its weight and all that. Didn't wanna scuff my precious babby just yet.
First ride its gonna get covered in bugs anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MonkeyHate posted:

Kriega backpack question: I've tried a couple of my old school backpacks before and the problem is in my thick armored jacket I don't have enough range of motion to put them on. I end up awkwardly removing the whole jacket to fill up the backpack, and then struggling to pre-hang the backpack on the arms of the jacket while donning the whole works together. Combine this with trying to juggle keys, wallet, gloves and helmet and you can see why I'm not popular at the grocery store checkout line.

Is there something about the Kriega backpacks that might make them easier to take off and put on while being swaddled in armor?

Currently I'm using a Chrome messenger bag which is uncomfortable, and of which I have come to really hate the design. The only reason I haven't dumped it on craigslist is because I can at least take it off and put it on without causing a traffic jam.

Edit: opening the question up wider -- if not a Kriega, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Kriega is really simple: Basically a bunch of dudes rode motorcycles a bunch, and then figured out the best possible backpack configuration for motorcycle usage. All of the usual problems with backpacks disappear when you buy a Kriega. I have yet to find another backpack that has all the little, awesome features they do that make them awesome.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

JP Money posted:

What's stopping you from just loosening the straps so they're bigger and then retightening later? Are you wearing a suit of armor on the bike?

I did try that but I can't shrug the straps up onto my shoulders with any regularity. If there is any weight or bulk in the pack, the straps get caught up in the crooks of my elbows and effectively tie my hands behind my back until I jump up and down and shake the bag loose. This embarrassing and awkward little dance is sure to be archived in at least one store security guard's "Stupid Customer Videos" collection.

Snowdens Secret posted:

... the circumference? of the arm openings themselves are a lot bigger than a regular backpack ...

Z3n posted:

... All of the usual problems with backpacks disappear when you buy a Kriega...

Ok I'm sold. Putting an order in for an R35 Monday. Thank you everyone!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

The 35 is pretty big.. make sure you need that much space before you go too crazy on size. You might be better off with the 25 if you aren't carrying huge amounts of stuff every day.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Has anyone tried out a Shark Vision-R? I wonder how much more peripheral view it has. they say 110%, which doesn't seem like much, but is that difference really noticeable?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

JP Money posted:

The 35 is pretty big.. make sure you need that much space before you go too crazy on size. You might be better off with the 25 if you aren't carrying huge amounts of stuff every day.

Yeah, the R35 is big enough to be cumbersome if you're not carrying groceries or roadtripping.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Also consider the R30 if you don't want to have to worry about rain. I concur on them being pretty big though, on my 636 my R30 would rest on the rear seat cowl if I was sitting upright. Amazing backpack, though.

Any tips on shrinking a leather jacket? My Alpinestars Mert didn't fit quite right when I bought it and now that I lost weight it's baggy as hell and looks like poo poo on a bike. On top of that, goddamn motorcyclegear.com has them on closeout, so a jacket that cost me $400 with the armor is now going for $180, making it pointless to sell. It's one of those situations where I got nothing to lose. :cry:

I was thinking of soaking it in the tub with hot water and then drying it, as per this method.

Edit: Also it is fully, fully perforated and I don't know how that will affect the process.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 24, 2012

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

What's the smallest of those Kriegas that will fit a 15" notebook, a pair of shoes, pants, and a hoody?

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.
So I went and bought myself an Arai XD-4. I've ridden in it for about 500m so far, so it really remains to be seen how good it is, but so far I like it. I upgraded from a 5 year old arai condor. First impressions are:
  • Holy crap this thing is well ventilated
  • I ... I think it's quieter. (500m at 60km/hr doesnt really make any noise)
  • Much lighter
  • Much better field of vision.

Interestingly enough even though they're both arai's, and both are properly fitted I ended up going down a size.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If money were no object, I'd probably have an R30 for normal commuting and an R35 for long trips. The R35 definitely fits the long trips better, the R30 is more light weight and blocks less wind with the smaller front buckles.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nitramster posted:

Has anyone tried out a Shark Vision-R? I wonder how much more peripheral view it has. they say 110%, which doesn't seem like much, but is that difference really noticeable?

I have a Vision-R since last November and its brilliant, but i have never had any peripheral vision problems with any motorcycle helmet I've owned so I can't say anything other than that about it.
Shark Visors are great though, they're thicker and stiffer than most helmets.
The internal sun visor is nice but a little too close to your face if you wear glasses they need to be pushed right back to your face which is odd considering they have removable pads to allow a nice fit for glasses legs at the temples

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yeah, the R35 is big enough to be cumbersome if you're not carrying groceries or roadtripping.

I daily ride with my R35, I actually feel weird riding without it now, but both my bikes are pretty upright so it rests nicely on my torso/pillion seat. I can imagine it being a bit big for a bikes with a more tucked up riding position

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n, I'll let you and MotoMind try out my R30 when I'm back up from San Diego. I like it a lot-- the two outside pockets hold my waterproof overboots and waterproof jacket (pants go in the main section) and on top of that I'm able to hold my laptop, charger, change of shoes, and still have another 15 liters for anything else I'd want to take with me. It really is an awesome pack.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I'm tired of my close-but-not-quiet EXO-700. I get a red spot on the forehead after a while and it gets decidedly uncomfortable after a couple hours. It's usually fine since most of my trips are pretty short, but as I get more ambitious on longer and longer scooter rides it's getting problematic. Plus I just want a white one.

At first I thought I was just sized wrong - in between sizes and chose and M over an L - but I've tried larges on in shops and have had similar results. I just spent 10 minutes with a large EXO500 on and, while it was more comfortable than my 700, I could tell the same hotspot was forming. So, Scorpions are out.

I tried on Arais and the Signet-Q was promising but goddamn I cannot justify $600 on a new lid.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a very narrow full-face helmet up to about $300?

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
Have you tried a Shoei Qwest or Bell Star? I have a pretty narrow head and those fit me great.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Z3n, I'll let you and MotoMind try out my R30 when I'm back up from San Diego. I like it a lot-- the two outside pockets hold my waterproof overboots and waterproof jacket (pants go in the main section) and on top of that I'm able to hold my laptop, charger, change of shoes, and still have another 15 liters for anything else I'd want to take with me. It really is an awesome pack.

Jeff bought one :3:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Dzus posted:

Have you tried a Shoei Qwest or Bell Star? I have a pretty narrow head and those fit me great.

I remember the Qwest feeling too round. Bell helmets are (surprisingly?) hard to come by around here, but I hope to try some on soon. There's a shop ~30mi from me that I think carries their full line but it'll be a while until I can get down there.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

Jeff bought one :3:

I let him try mine on. The disease is spreading.

Also his furry podcast is hilarious

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I have the R25 which fits a lot more stuff than it looks like it should, it's definitely built to be super tough and long lasting.

Considering getting an R35 though because bigger is better right? Gonna wait until Kriega does a free shipping deal though.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

echomadman posted:

I have a Vision-R since last November and its brilliant, but i have never had any peripheral vision problems with any motorcycle helmet I've owned so I can't say anything other than that about it.
Shark Visors are great though, they're thicker and stiffer than most helmets.
The internal sun visor is nice but a little too close to your face if you wear glasses they need to be pushed right back to your face which is odd considering they have removable pads to allow a nice fit for glasses legs at the temples

How's the internal shape? I hear Sharks tend towards a narrow/long oval head.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Definitely need some dirt gear. About to pick up a pair of Alpinestar Tech 3 at the recommendation of my friend. What else should I be getting? chest guard, knee guards, etc?

I am still unsure as to whether I want to use my RF-1100 for the dirt and I'm due for a new helmet soon anyways so I might pick up a Shoei Hornet...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Hornet is pretty cool, but it doesn't have the advantages of a dirt only helmet + goggles like you see people wearing (better dust protection and anti-fogging). It's also loud on the road, if I recall correctly, and doesn't come with a chin curtain if that's important to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

infraboy posted:

I have the R25 which fits a lot more stuff than it looks like it should, it's definitely built to be super tough and long lasting.

Considering getting an R35 though because bigger is better right? Gonna wait until Kriega does a free shipping deal though.

Revzilla sells Kriega now so you can get free shipping through them, although I don't think they have the R35 for some reason