Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Meltathon posted:

The Toasters still exist?

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if you're in Chicago you need to go to Riotfest in September. Slapstick, Less Than Jake, and Fishbone are playing.

Toasters will exist as long as the one dude can find a band to play with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

ObsidianBeast posted:

I finally found out that I'll actually be in town next week, just to find out that the Goldfinger/Big D/RBF/SL show at the 9:30 club in Baltimore next week is sold out. Any chance that anyone knows someone with extra tickets?

Hopefully your plans are correct, but just in case: the 9:30 Club is not in Baltimore. It is in Washington, D.C., which is reasonably close but definitely not interchangeable, and if you are in one and find that you meant to be in the other, it takes nontrivial time to travel between them.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

guppy posted:

Hopefully your plans are correct, but just in case: the 9:30 Club is not in Baltimore. It is in Washington, D.C., which is reasonably close but definitely not interchangeable, and if you are in one and find that you meant to be in the other, it takes nontrivial time to travel between them.

You're right, I had Baltimore on the brain because I was looking up that Toasters show you mentioned.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

guppy posted:

My local joint (Baltimore) has just announced Skalloween, with the Toasters headlining. :hellyeah:

My school had a Skalloween show one year, probably either 2005 or 2006, with the Pietasters, the Toasters, and Big D. It was awesome.

Monday_ fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 24, 2012

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jetgrindeggy posted:

My school had a Skalloween show one year, probably either 2005 or 2006, with the Pietasters, the Toasters, and Big D. It was awesome.

Syracuse had a Devil's Night Out show in 2008 that was a bunch of local bands, two of which barely played anymore and were a blast, and The Toasters. Straighter Than Pete played Centerfold and the guy forgot all the words so we just sang the last verse a hundred times and danced.

Great show.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011
I think band tattoos are a horrible idea. So I'm really troubled about this Streetlight Manifesto tattoo my brain keeps saying is a good idea. Anybody know if they're at least working on a new full-length? I miss being confused about what Thomas Kalnoky really thinks.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm trying to remember. There was a ska band from either upstate NY or Canada that got reasonably big and played 3 floors of Ska. What band was it?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mogran posted:

I think band tattoos are a horrible idea. So I'm really troubled about this Streetlight Manifesto tattoo my brain keeps saying is a good idea. Anybody know if they're at least working on a new full-length? I miss being confused about what Thomas Kalnoky really thinks.

They're definitely working on it, last update was that everything but vocals were done, and that if Victory tried to gently caress with the release date like they did with 99 Songs they were just gonna leak it.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011

Dickeye posted:

They're definitely working on it, last update was that everything but vocals were done, and that if Victory tried to gently caress with the release date like they did with 99 Songs they were just gonna leak it.

It's amazing how much poo poo they go through just to release an album the way they want to. On a side note I've got a painfully awkward photo of me looking like I wanna wear Thomas' skin to my birthday party from the Please Stop Robbing Us Tour somewhere. Excellent live show imo.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I'm trying to remember. There was a ska band from either upstate NY or Canada that got reasonably big and played 3 floors of Ska. What band was it?

What year? Anything else you remember about them?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
A reminder that Ding Ding Licky Licky Licky Bong is the greatest song ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9QF5LTsNqg

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Dickeye posted:

A reminder that Ding Ding Licky Licky Licky Bong is the greatest song ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9QF5LTsNqg

What is Steven Stegal doing in this

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Speaking of the new Streetlight album, heres a new song they've been playing on Warped Tour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y12iQ_Xoq74

And a bonus video of a dude in a wheelchair rocking out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObWaAMGPHYc

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was gonna do that whole "pffft I'll care when it comes out" thing but that sounds drat good. Sounds like they're going back to the more straightforward sound from EGN.

Also something something remember the night it was the fourth of July something something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-kfH1Oqpus

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 4, 2012

im12andwhatisthis
Mar 31, 2012

Set phasers to stun...

Dickeye posted:

Last I heard it was to be released this summer, so at this point I'm expecting a leak sometime soon.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Josh Wow posted:

What year? Anything else you remember about them?

I'm almost certain they're from Montreal or Toronto. I know that's vague but I feel like that has to help a little.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

im12andwhatisthis posted:

Last I heard it was to be released this summer, so at this point I'm expecting a leak sometime soon.

Last I heard they still hadn't recorded vocals, and that was pre-Warped.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I'm almost certain they're from Montreal or Toronto. I know that's vague but I feel like that has to help a little.

Here's the Canadian ska(ish) bands I know:

Planet Smashers
Johnstones
Flatliners
The Real Deal

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The new Reel Big Fish album leaked, if anyone cares (I care).

edit Oh my god it's almost like once they stopped writing pop songs with ska elements and went back to writing actual ska-punk songs they stopped being the worst band. This is actually pretty good.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jul 5, 2012

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

im12andwhatisthis posted:

When I saw Toh Kay a few months ago in NYC, he said the music was done, he still needed to write and record the lyrics and it would probably be out in the fall. So, my rough estimate is October 2027.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you told me when Scott left the band that in 2012 Reel Big Fish would put out an album better than everything post-Rock So Hard I'd be like bullllllllshit but here we are.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Has there been any indication of a release date? Why Do They Rock So Hard? is easily my favorite RBF album and this makes me very excited. RBF were my favorite band for years and I would love to be able to say that about them again.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011

Cheesegod posted:

When I saw Toh Kay a few months ago in NYC, he said the music was done, he still needed to write and record the lyrics and it would probably be out in the fall. So, my rough estimate is October 2027.

It's like trying to get a child to sit down at the table.

"Thomas, it's time to.."

"PLAY!"

"No, Thomas you have to write these lyrics so we can.."

"PLAY!"

"The other boys already finished their parts Thomas all that's left is.."

"EVERY DAY OF WARPED TOUR!"

"God dammit..."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Has there been any indication of a release date? Why Do They Rock So Hard? is easily my favorite RBF album and this makes me very excited. RBF were my favorite band for years and I would love to be able to say that about them again.

Either end of this month or end of next but it leaked in the last day or two.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Josh Wow posted:

Here's the Canadian ska(ish) bands I know:

Planet Smashers
Johnstones
Flatliners
The Real Deal

Flatliners!! Thank you, haha. It's been bothering me.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Release date for reel big fish is July thirtieth. Oh my glob I can't wait

Edit: It really is good. Wonder who these girl(s) are on this album. Really balances out the sound

2nd edit: Hm, after listening to the whole thing, I only really liked 3 songs, the rest seemed like recycled old songs

Beowulf fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 6, 2012

Aggyro
Aug 13, 2006

The future is unwritten.

Beowulf posted:

Edit: It really is good. Wonder who these girl(s) are on this album. Really balances out the sound

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Boom_Six

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Laila K is on the new RBF album? I like Sonic Boom Six, this is sounding better and better.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Not really ska but more of QUR-related news, if any NYC people didn't go to the Lemuria/The Wild/Taxpayers/Kudrow show at Europa, you're an idiot because it was awesome.

I was chatting with Jeff after the show and he (super duper tentatively) agreed to have BtMI! play at my Lupus benefit on Long Island next year :neckbeard:

Dickeye posted:

If you told me when Scott left the band that in 2012 Reel Big Fish would put out an album better than everything post-Rock So Hard I'd be like bullllllllshit but here we are.

Ugh, I need to listen to this. I wish Scotty was still in the band though, it's just not the same to me :( The first song sounded awesome though.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Philly Bosstones show is Bosstones/Have Nots/BTMI!

Gonna be rad

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm seeing the Fish next week I'm so goddamn excited

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Philly Bosstones show is Bosstones/Have Nots/BTMI!

Gonna be rad

I'm going to that show. Where did you see that BTMI is playing it though? I can't find anything on the web (didn't try very hard) to confirm it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Hobbit posted:

I'm going to that show. Where did you see that BTMI is playing it though? I can't find anything on the web (didn't try very hard) to confirm it.

The Have Nots' Twitter feed said so.

https://twitter.com/HaveNots/status/222382137909837826

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
Well holy gently caress, this show just keeps getting better and better. I was already stoked for this show since it'll be the first show my brother and I have gone to together in 3 or 4 years.

Aggyro
Aug 13, 2006

The future is unwritten.

guppy posted:

Laila K is on the new RBF album? I like Sonic Boom Six, this is sounding better and better.

Hell yeah! Laila K, Barney Boom and Coolie Ranx are all a track I heard. I am sure they are going to pop up else where as well.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
woop woop woop woop

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Spring Heeled Jack are back? Does this mean I'll finally be able to hear and maybe even buy some of their music?

Pilfers poo poo is still impossible to find too. I hate the record industry.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

zomg Edna's Goldfish

my childhood :unsmith:

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
This is awesome:

quote:

Showtime's "Weeds" began its eighth and final season Sunday and has returned to using Malvina Reynolds' "Little Boxes," a folk ditty written in 1962 about growing housing tracts in the San Francisco Bay area.

As the show did in its second and third seasons, the title track will be sung by a host of artists...New York-based DIY punks Bomb the Music Industry! deliver their version for episode six

http://www.billboard.com/news/exclu...007564752.story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OK that loving rules just because you have no idea what it's going to sound like. It could be a relatively straight cover or it could be Jeff just throwing poo poo at the wall or anything.