Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Cukel posted:

Wow, huh, didn't know that was even a thing. :stare:

I've been working on this project for well over a year now. It's a silly web-based text adventure game, with an in-site content creator. You can create game elements with simple forms and have them playable by everyone immediately! :)

I have most of the game functionality in order, and the designer is coming along nicely. Not a lot of content yet as so far I've been doing everything by hand in XML, but once I get the content creator up I might as well crowd-source the entire game, hee hee hee!

Interface looks like complete poo poo since I'm not a web designer but should be usable at least.

That's a fantastic idea, Cukel! I hope it takes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

lord funk posted:

That's a fantastic idea, Cukel! I hope it takes off.
Thank you :) It's a fun project and a neat way to teach myself Python, PyQt, Django, and jQuery.

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008
I'm writing a raytracer :cool:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Toekutr posted:

I'm writing a raytracer :cool:

Prepare to feel inadequacy.

Yes, that was raytraced.

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008

Sinestro posted:

Prepare to feel inadequacy.

Yes, that was raytraced.

I've been working on mine for less than a week now.

Besides, that one obviously can't render flat textured spheres on a untextured background :colbert:

You know, like this

Toekutr fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 20, 2012

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
It isn't as pretty as everyone else's, but today I learned ruby and ported my rpc-esque library to it

Ruby code:
require "glyph"
s = Glyph.open('http://localhost:123456/')
q= s.make_queue('butt')
q.push('butts')
puts q.pop()
given a python server

Python code:
import glyph
import collections

queues = {}

m = glyph.Router()
@m.add()
def make_queue(name):
    if name not in queues:
        queues[name]=collections.deque()
    return Queue(name)    

@m.add()
class Queue(glyph.r):
    def __init__(self, name):
        self.name = name
    def push(self, msg):
        queues[self.name].appendleft(msg)

def pop(self):
        if self.name in queues:
            return queues[self.name].popleft()

s = glyph.Server(m, port=12345)
s.start()
it's a sort of duck-typed rpc using hypermedia to describe methods on objects :2bong:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
hypermedia?

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
hypermedia is just forms and links and stuff

when you make a call, you get a serialised object back - for the methods, it returns forms (like html), which include url and verb. when you call a method on the client side, it submits the form, and it in turn can return
more stuff.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
My project for National Game Development Month

It's a Neptune's Pride clone written with Tornado Web/jQuery/HTML5 Canvas. I've got the lobby and basic client/server architecture pretty much done, and now I'm working out some bugs and polishing the basic gameplay. Hopefully more to come towards the end of the month!

e: holy image-resizing, Batman!

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
I just launched my latest project today.

Whoop!

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

There's not much to take a screenshot of, but I just released my first real open source project, Squire. It's a set of front-end build tools sitting on top of node.js. It's useful for things like static websites and blogs, single-page web apps and probably other stuff too.

Its basic purpose is to seamlessly translate files for you. It has built-in translators for CoffeeScript, Stylus, Jade templates and Markdown, and there's a simple API for developing your own plugins if you want to use anything else. You can run a local preview server that will automatically retranslate all of your files each time you refresh the page, and when you're done you can build the whole thing into static files for deployment.

It has a bunch of really cool features beyond that too. It supports file concatenation and minification, so if you want to keep your JavaScript in multiple files during development but combine them all into one minified file for production you can do that easily. Concatenation is really flexible with dependency management too. You can explicitly tell it what order to combine all your files in, you can tell it to automatically include every file in a directory and then specify dependencies from inside the files themselves, or do a little bit of both.

There are lots more features but this is all explained in the readme so just check that out if you're interested.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

bobthecheese posted:

I just launched my latest project today.

Whoop!

Where do I read what other people have said?

Ari
Jun 18, 2002

Ask me about who Jewish girls should not marry!

Manslaughter posted:

Where do I read what other people have said?

http://www.theworldyourstage.com/about.html posted:

Every day, a new person will be picked, and whatever they want to tell the world will take pride of place, right on the home page for the whole world to see.

Your message won't be fighting to be noticed in a stream of thousands. Your message won't get lost in a million voices. It will be centre stage, for 24 hours.

bobthecheese
Jun 7, 2006
Although I've never met Martha Stewart, I'll probably never birth her child.
Yeah, I just have to wait until there are enough posts that I could reasonably start posting one every day (there's no point starting if I'm going to have to stop after a couple of weeks)

Baby Nanny
Jan 4, 2007
ftw m8.
I think I've finally finished up this stupid simple little website

http://goonsay.shiturl.com
code is at http://github.com/ell/goonsay

super simple django app I coded when I shoulda been doing more work at work

Added a submission form and a working api woohoo

if you wanna use the api check out http://goonsay.shiturl.com/api/entry

post json formated as {'body': 'goonsay post here'} to it and ill approve em if theyre good

Dolex
May 5, 2001

finished a web based simple lindenmayer system that draws alpha blended triangles instead of just lines

makes some stunning images

http://creative-co.de/labs/colorful_system/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008
I've continued working on my raytracer, and in the last couple of days I've added:

supersampling
multi-threading (scales linearly per core)
bounding volume hierarchy based intersection tests

My build-bvh function is still not very good, and the trees it creates aren't very efficient, but the render times are getting better and better.

This took about 8 minutes to render, with 2x2 supersampling

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Toekutr posted:

I've continued working on my raytracer, and in the last couple of days I've added:

supersampling
multi-threading (scales linearly per core)
bounding volume hierarchy based intersection tests

My build-bvh function is still not very good, and the trees it creates aren't very efficient, but the render times are getting better and better.

This took about 8 minutes to render, with 2x2 supersampling

Are there any books or resources you'd recommend for understanding and implementing raytracing?

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008

Tres Burritos posted:

Are there any books or resources you'd recommend for understanding and implementing raytracing?

To be honest, I'm still pretty new to this stuff.
At first I watched these videos, http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8B05045F714EF585
which may not be all that helpful if you aren't planning on using common lisp, but the linear algebra explanations are still pretty good.

There are a ton of papers, books, and tutorials available on raytracing, so you can just google, but in particular, these ones have helped:

http://www.codermind.com/articles/Raytracer-in-C++-Part-I-First-rays.html
http://gannon-house.com/projects/raytracer/index.html
http://www.flipcode.com/archives/Raytracing_Topics_Techniques-Part_1_Introduction.shtml
http://forthescience.org/blog/category/topics/computer-science/graphics/raytracing/

If you want to take a look at my (terrible) code https://github.com/ehaliewicz/deathray/

Toekutr fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 23, 2012

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

http://devmaster.net/posts/raytracing-theory-implementation-part-1-introduction

Another decent series on raytracing.

Really though, the concepts you need to understand to get started are pretty simple. Figuring out the equations for the intersection-tests is probably the hardest part, and those you can find online in a million places.

It starts to get difficult if you want to make it really fast or the output really pretty.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Internet Janitor and LP0 ON FIRE and co posted:

It's like Star Castle in hell. I like how as you destroy the shield it seems to transition from "obstacle in the way" to "vitally useful cover", which is really clever. Shmup fans will probably relish the challenge.

I have to say I'm a HUGE fan of Geometry Wars and I have faith this could be a big hit! I want it.

Hey the guys who liked my video: thanks a ton!

Good news, everyone. I think it's finally ready for a release sort-of-thing. Don't intend to derail the thread, just wanted to let the interested parties know. Maybe I should make a thread in Games or something. (edit: a thread!)

Edit: on topic vvvvv yes I also have that book and it is very good.

seiken fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 24, 2012

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

This book should just about keep you covered with rendering systems for a few months, pretty much every beginner and some slightly more advanced topics explained and then code provided. It is a monster of a book and I love it.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

I think this book is written by a goon? I want to say I remember him posting a "oh yeah thats my book" post a couple months ago.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

Hahaha, I was working on my hipster image generator after a week of it being on the backburner to other stuff, and the very first image I got after fixing some bugs linking the photo-grabbing, quote-grabbing, and image-composing modules together was strangely self-aware. :v:

(Also, the overlap between text boxes is still there because I was spending my time linking everything together, so I haven't gotten the chance to tweak the actual image generator yet. It'll be fixed, promise!)

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

I have to third this. If you get one book, make it this one. I reference my copy more than any other graphics book on my shelf. The chapter on sampling alone makes the book worth it.

Also, what kind of computer are you using? 8 minutes seems a bit long for such a simple scene. Even without an acceleration structure, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds on any vaguely recent machine.

Toekutr
Dec 9, 2008

steckles posted:

I have to third this. If you get one book, make it this one. I reference my copy more than any other graphics book on my shelf. The chapter on sampling alone makes the book worth it.

Also, what kind of computer are you using? 8 minutes seems a bit long for such a simple scene. Even without an acceleration structure, it shouldn't take more than a few seconds on any vaguely recent machine.

Well, the image was essentially rendered at 4 times the resolution (1600x1200), but perhaps some of the overhead is because it's written in a higher level language, and I don't really know how to optimize common lisp (or code in general).

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I love this book, but if you just want to write a simple raytracer, it might not be the place to start. This book is about physically based rendering, meaning modeling the light transport equations with numerical integration methods to make photorealistic images. If you just want to make a toy raytracer (i.e. don't worry about global illumination) that does very rough approximations of real light transport, there are lots of nice resources for that.

I wrote a raytracer for a graphics class last year, using Lua to define scenes. I used the Physically Based Rendering book for inspiration (and I adapted their kd-tree implementation) but most of the ray tracing algorithms are the usual simplistic ones found online.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Delta-Wye posted:

I think this book is written by a goon? I want to say I remember him posting a "oh yeah thats my book" post a couple months ago.
It is - humper is Greg Humphreys, though I haven't seen him post in a long time.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Here's a new (huge) screenshot of my "Campaign builder" and the level running in the actual game engine in the foreground.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!
I've been working on a small WindowsPhone game that has augmented reality elements in it. There are a number of enemies orbiting around you and you have to look around using the phone's camera to find and shoot them.

This past weekend, it's finally up in the WindowsPhone Marketplace, so check it out if you can. You don't need to buy it - the trial version is the exact same as the paid version (the paid version is there for those that like to support me).

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-CA/apps/7a36c3c8-5338-4c56-b399-38f7e655fdc5

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Not really work, but hey, I just received my plaque for being Erlang User of the Year 2012. Just boasting a bit :smugdog:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Do you pronounce your name like the goalie or like an English speaker?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Do you pronounce your name like the goalie or like an English speaker?

Depends which goalie you're thinking of I guess.

Tro-Tee-ay Hay-Bear. Or something like that, if I had to translate the pronunciation roughly.

In any case, for general English stuff, I usually work as Fred Hebert and let people get confused and call me Fred Herbert instead. That seems to be the simplest.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
That's pretty classy-looking.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I've been working on an implementation of the original Nintendo Entertainment System on an FPGA. It is more for the learning experience of designing a larger VHDL system, as well as the various components (PPU, MMU, etc.).

It has been coming along remarkably well so far. I don't have a ton of time to work on it, but I chip away at the project here and there when I have a spare hour or two. I realize that something like Xilinx's WebPack software would be a one-stop shop for this sort of thing, but I have selected a bunch of free apps (GHDL, GTKWave, etc.) to develop it so that I have a chance to see all of the intermediary steps involved in the design process without falling into the trap of seeing one vendor's approach as being the universally correct one.

Also, there is a special place in hell reserved for those that use the vendor-specific std_logic_arith VHDL library, rather than the IEEE numeric_std one.

I began by writing a 6502 disassembler in C, as well as a ROM loader for the .NES format.

I compared my generated dumps against disassemblies already on the web to make sure that I was performing the disassembly right. It turns out that Super Mario Bros has been analyzed to death, so disassembling that ROM was a good place to start. Then, as I developed the chip, I hardcoded the dumps into a VHDL testbench so that I could drive the system state instruction by instruction while monitoring the same instructions on an emulator for a "known good" comparison:

Edit: Added in some links, in case someone wants to check the various tools out. Also added in a few bits about the disassembler.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 5, 2012

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

That is loving cool man

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

hendersa posted:

I've been working on an implementation of the original Nintendo Entertainment System on an FPGA. It is more for the learning experience of designing a larger VHDL system, as well as the various components (PPU, MMU, etc.).

It has been coming along remarkably well so far. I don't have a ton of time to work on it, but I chip away at the project here and there when I have a spare hour or two. I realize that something like Xilinx's WebPack software would be a one-stop shop for this sort of thing, but I have selected a bunch of free apps (GHDL, GTKWave, etc.) to develop it so that I have a chance to see all of the intermediary steps involved in the design process without falling into the trap of seeing one vendor's approach as being the universally correct one.

Also, there is a special place in hell reserved for those that use the vendor-specific std_logic_arith VHDL library, rather than the IEEE numeric_std one.

Edit: Added in some links, in case someone wants to check the various tools out.
Hey there FPGA-designing, Mendeley-using, VHDL-writing buddy. :respek:

(Also, nice icculus.org shell account. I take it you know Ryan Gordon?)

You do know that you're eventually going to need to use your FPGA's vendor's tools at least to translate your e.g. netlist into their bitcode for use on the FPGA itself, right? GHDL will give you a executable for your design and testbenches, but if you want to synthesize anything, you will probably want to use ISE WebPack or Quartus II Web Edition (or $FREE_VENDOR_TOOL_HERE if you're using some more obscure part) sooner rather than later, even if you don't use it for the bulk of your design work, in order to be able to get realistic reports on resource utilization and PnR. Engineering with FPGAs is still very much tied up with vendor tools no matter what (unfortunately), since each vendor's FPGAs only work with their bitcode formats, IP libraries, and synthesis tools.

I do applaud you going the route you're going through. Specifically regarding GHDL, are you using it on Windows? I have a bunch of half-working old-to-new patches and hacks to GHDL, some Windows-related, some (older ones) OS-X-related, that I ought to clean up and publish. I'm really interested in other user reports of GHDL on Windows and OS X (in that order): gripes, features requests, etc. Bugs should probably still go to Tristan. :)

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

mnd posted:

Hey there FPGA-designing, Mendeley-using, VHDL-writing buddy. :respek:

(Also, nice icculus.org shell account. I take it you know Ryan Gordon?)

You do know that you're eventually going to need to use your FPGA's vendor's tools at least to translate your e.g. netlist into their bitcode for use on the FPGA itself, right? GHDL will give you a executable for your design and testbenches, but if you want to synthesize anything, you will probably want to use ISE WebPack or Quartus II Web Edition (or $FREE_VENDOR_TOOL_HERE if you're using some more obscure part) sooner rather than later, even if you don't use it for the bulk of your design work, in order to be able to get realistic reports on resource utilization and PnR. Engineering with FPGAs is still very much tied up with vendor tools no matter what (unfortunately), since each vendor's FPGAs only work with their bitcode formats, IP libraries, and synthesis tools.

I do applaud you going the route you're going through. Specifically regarding GHDL, are you using it on Windows? I have a bunch of half-working old-to-new patches and hacks to GHDL, some Windows-related, some (older ones) OS-X-related, that I ought to clean up and publish. I'm really interested in other user reports of GHDL on Windows and OS X (in that order): gripes, features requests, etc. Bugs should probably still go to Tristan. :)

I've used WebPack in the past for developing on this guy right here, so I had enough gates to burn to be a bit sloppy with it. That's probably similar to the board I'll be using to actually test the physical design. At the time, I was barely scraping the surface of the simulation portion of development, and many details were hidden, so I doubt that what I was creating was "good". I'm just trying to fill in the experience gaps. Since the number of gates available on that platform is huge and the 1.79 MHz clock of the NES's Ricoh 2A03 is far below any point where propagation delay will be a concern (hopefully), and I'm not using anything like the dedicated DLL circuits, I will have a ton of wiggle room during PnR. If I were going for the cheapest FPGA I could get away with as a target, I'd be using far more targeted tools from the get-go. I think I'll learn a few things, too, in reworking the pristine VHDL codebase to get it working on the real hardware when the time comes.

GHDL is, in my opinion, a buggy piece of software that implements the VHDL standard very well. Or, at least, that is the way it appears under Windows. I've found that it likes to hang during testbench execution once things begin to get even slightly complex. I suspect that it is some form of internal signal oscillation going on, which leads to time halting at that point in the simulation. I've also noticed this occurs sometimes when using a single "report" statement before a "wait" at the end of the simulation. In most cases where it freezes (both at the "wait" and at other points during the simulation), you can just stick a "report" statement in there and it won't freeze on you next time. This doesn't make sense, since the simulation is obviously not dependent upon the "report" statements. Oh well.

I used to share an office with Ryan when we both worked at Loki Games back around 2000/2001. Aside from the porting work for our jobs, I joined him in porting a few open-source projects to Linux (stuff like the BUILD engine). Back then, we did that sort of stuff to gain experience, learn some new things, and build a critical mass of example code on the web so that others could start doing the same sort of thing. We were also probably the only ones around at the time that had both the know-how and free time to do it. He decided that he enjoyed that kind of work so much that he became a cross-platform development consultant/contractor full-time. I went off into industry and academia (hence the Mendeley open in the background).

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
Hot. Could we take this conversation to PMs? I doubt the rest of the viewers of this thread want to watch us swap stories about timing issues and thermal runaway, or debate the merits of VHDL versus Verilog as religious fellowships.

I'm super-psyched to find another regular GHDL user on Windows, this will probably inspire me to get off my butt and start hacking on it for real this time.

I don't know Ryan from Adam other than his reputation in the game porting/consulting space, and from his online writings, Twitter, etc., but have a lot of respect for his work. I think it's rad you guys ported BUILD to Linux and worked at Loki, that seemed like an interesting idea. Did you go into industry/academia in some sort of hardware-related field, or is this disconnected from that and just a hobby project (woops, should have asked this in aforementioned PM).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I understand wanting to not crowd out this thread, but I would love to read/maybe participate in such a discussion. There used to be a HDL thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439925 maybe?) and it probably wouldn't hurt to resurrect it for something like this.

Badass project btw.