Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I'd like to believe that British Red Foreman yells "Oi!" a lot and goes around calling everyone a oval office instead of "dumbass".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sklyansky posted:

That's a bummer. So I take it remastered editions of the first six seasons of 24 probably wouldn't be in the cards either, seeing that its also Fox.

24 must have been shot on film right? They did release at least one or more seasons on blu ray I thought. Why would they have to "remaster" 24?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I remember Days Like These. It fit nicely into that weird niche of very American-like sitcoms that were cropping up a lot at the time, like Game On and Coupling where everyone talks about getting drunk and having sex all the time and never actually drink anything or have any sex.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Holy crap: that was written by the same people who did Peep Show! Wow, it just shows how great writers can make terrible things.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Professor Clumsy posted:

where everyone talks about getting drunk and having sex all the time and never actually drink anything or have any sex.

Teenagers, in other words.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
:tviv:

quote:

In the fall, Universal Studios Home Entertainment will bring Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection to Blu-ray. This limited edition box set compiles fifteen titles from the legendary filmmaker's career, thirteen of which make their respective U.S. Blu-ray debut through this package.

The films include (* denotes new-to-Blu-ray):
Saboteur (1942)*
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)*
Rope (1948)*
Rear Window (1954)*
The Trouble with Harry (1955)*
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)*
Vertigo (1958)*
North by Northwest (1959)
Psycho (1960)
The Birds (1963)*
Marnie (1964)*
Torn Curtain (1966)*
Topaz (1969)*
Frenzy (1972)*
Family Plot (1976)*
While the exact technical specifications are still unknown for the individual discs, Universal's press release notes that the fifteen pictures have been "digitally restored from high-quality film elements." The set also includes over fifteen hours of bonus supplements, such as:

Saboteur -
Saboteur: A Closer Look behind-the-scenes featurette
Storyboards for the "Statue of Liberty" setpiece
Alfred Hitchcock's sketches
Production photographs
Theatrical trailer

Shadow of a Doubt -
Beyond Doubt: The Making of Hitchcock's Favorite Film behind-the-scenes featurette
Production drawings by art director Robert Boyle
Production photographs
Theatrical trailer

Rope -
Rope Unleashed behind-the-scenes featurette
Production photographs
Theatrical trailer

Rear Window -
Commentary with Hitchcock's Rear Window: The Well-Made Film author John Fawell
Behind-the-scenes featurettes:
Masters of Cinema
Rear Window Ethics: An Original Documentary
A Conversation with Screenwriter John Michael Hayes
Pure Cinema: Through the Eyes of The Master
Breaking Barriers: The Sound of Hitchcock
Hitchcock-Truffaut interview excerpts
Production photographs
Theatrical trailers
Re-release trailer narrated by James Stewart
Blu-ray exclusive BD Live and Pocket Blu functionalities

The Trouble with Harry -
The Trouble with Harry Isn't Over behind-the-scenes featurette
Production photographs
Theatrical trailers

The Man Who Knew Too Much -
The Making of The Man Who Knew Too Much behind-the-scenes featurette
Production photographs
Trailers

Vertigo -
Two audio commentaries:
Associate producer Herbert Coleman, restoration team Robert A. Harris and James C. Katz, and other Vertigo participants
Filmmaker William Friedkin
Obsessed with Vertigo: New Life for Hitchcock's Masterpiece
Partners in Crime: Hitchcock's Collaborators
The Vertigo Archives feature
Foreign censorship Ending
100 Years of Universal featurette: The Lew Wasserman Era
Theatrical trailer
Restoration theatrical trailer

North by Northwest -
Commentary by screenwriter Ernest Lehman
Destination Hitchcock: The Making of North by Northwest
North by Northwest: One for the Ages
The Master's Touch: Hitchcock's Signature Style
Cary Grant: A Class Apart
Music-only audio track
Stills gallery
Theatrical trailers and TV spot

Psycho -
Commentary with Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho author Stephen Rebello
The Making of Psycho
Psycho Sound
In The Master's Shadow: Hitchcock's Legacy
Breakdowns of the "Shower Scene" setpiece:
With and without music
Storyboards by Saul Bass
The Psycho Archives feature
Vintage newsreel: The Release of Psycho
Posters and Psycho ads
Lobby cards
Behind-the-scenes photographs
Production photographs
Theatrical trailer
Re-release trailers

The Birds -
Blu-ray exclusive The Birds: Hitchcock's Monster Movie
All About The Birds
Vintage Universal International newsreels:
The Birds Is Coming
Suspense Story: National Press Club Hears Hitchcock
Tippi Hedren's screen test
Deleted scene
Original ending
Storyboards
Production photographs
100 Years of Universal featurettes:
Restoring the Classics
The Lot
Theatrical trailer

Marnie -
The Trouble with Marnie behind-the-scenes featurette
The Marnie Archives feature
Theatrical trailer
Torn Curtain -
Torn Curtain Rising behind-the-scenes featurette
Selected scenes scored by Bernard Herrmann
Production photographs
Theatrical trailer

Topaz -
Alternate endings
Topaz: An Appreciation with film historian and critic Leonard Maltin
Storyboards for "The Mendozas" setpiece
Production photographs
Theatrical trailer

Frenzy -
The Story of Frenzy behind-the-scenes featurette
Production photographs
Theatrical trailer

Family Plot -
Plotting Family Plot behind-the-scenes featurette
Storyboards for the chase scene
Production photographs
Theatrical trailer
In addition, the collection comes with a fifty-page book featuring storyboards, costume sketches, correspondence, and rare photographs.

Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection streets on September 25th.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8987

drat, that looks awesome and I'd argue the cover is better than anything Criterion has put out in a long time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Can you marry blu-ray box sets?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Goddamn that is amazing. I hope they don't gently caress up the transfers on them, since I own exactly 0 of those Hitchcock movies and should probably stop doing that.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
...aaaaaaaaaaaand there's my Christmas present, right there. :stare:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

If the picture is to be believed, it'll take up less shelf space than the bulky DVD version, too. I was going to wait for individual releases of just the must-have movies (Rear Window, Vertigo, Birds, Shadow, in addition to the ones already released) but gently caress it. If it takes up that little real estate, might as well splurge for the full upgrade.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ApexAftermath posted:

24 must have been shot on film right? They did release at least one or more seasons on blu ray I thought. Why would they have to "remaster" 24?

Not only "shot on film" but I'm fairly sure it was broadcast in HD to begin with. (So even if it was shot digital, we're good.) So really, it shouldn't be a big deal at all to release the other seasons on blu-ray, they're just waiting on something. Maybe the movie.

Same thing with Star Trek: Enterprise. It's the easiest of all the Trek shows to put on blu-ray because it was HD to begin with. But it's also the least popular, so we'll probably have to wait.

Anyway, I'm glad Friends is getting the full blu-ray remaster treatment even though I don't care for the show even a little bit. Because I want that to happen to every show. I just want all video, everywhere, to look awesome.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

morestuff posted:

Back off it's mine.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

FitFortDanga posted:

If the picture is to be believed, it'll take up less shelf space than the bulky DVD version, too. I was going to wait for individual releases of just the must-have movies (Rear Window, Vertigo, Birds, Shadow, in addition to the ones already released) but gently caress it. If it takes up that little real estate, might as well splurge for the full upgrade.
Yeah. the convienience of having them all in this one small book combined with the fact that the price difference probably won't be that big more than makes up for buying the titles I never would have bought otherwise. That's the mindset that had me get the Kubrick collection.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

morestuff posted:

I'm blown away. Amazing. I echo all of you - I can't say enough about the cover as well as the packaging.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

morestuff posted:

You see! This is what happens when you allow gay marriage.

On a serious note, is there any idea how much this thing is going to cost? It sounds expensive.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Lobok posted:

Teenagers, in other words.

Only one of those shows I mentioned is about teenagers. It was just a weird trend of the nineties sitcom to have people talking about doing stuff and never doing it. Like Joey in Friends with his rampant sex life.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Professor Clumsy posted:

Only one of those shows I mentioned is about teenagers. It was just a weird trend of the nineties sitcom to have people talking about doing stuff and never doing it. Like Joey in Friends with his rampant sex life.

I do not need to see Mr. Matt LeBlanc making love, sir. His word is good enough for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey, so what's the status on Lawrence of Arabia? I need to see it again after watching Prometheus, and I feel like I need to watch it in HD because of Ebert's review talking about tiny dots on the horizon turning into people.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Steve Yun posted:

Hey, so what's the status on Lawrence of Arabia? I need to see it again after watching Prometheus, and I feel like I need to watch it in HD because of Ebert's review talking about tiny dots on the horizon turning into people.

It has been restored with a 4K transfer...should be released sometime later this year.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Sporadic posted:

It has been restored with a 4K transfer...should be released sometime later this year.

I've still never seen it so when this comes out I think I will finally check that off my list.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Professor Clumsy posted:

No, I mean that's what teenagers are. Maybe Joey's girlfriends were all "Canadian".

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hey, does anyone here have the Crank 2 blu-ray? I've got problems with it and I want to know if there's some secret trick to actually getting the thing to play. I figured out from googling that the issue is somekind of stupid online feature the disc has. I downloaded the updates to my player (Sony S-470) and it didn't resolve the issue.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
It's a firmware feature designed to spare you from having to watch "Crank 2."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rocco posted:

It's a firmware feature designed to spare you from having to watch "Crank 2."

gently caress that, Crank 2 is awesome. Thankfully I only paid a dollar for it so if there's no fix for this besides "Spend 300 dollars on a Playstation 3" it's not a huge loss.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CPL593H posted:

I only paid a dollar for it..

The prophecy has been fulfilled.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sporadic posted:

I guess they haven't released any screenshots at the moment then?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

CPL593H posted:

Hey, does anyone here have the Crank 2 blu-ray? I've got problems with it and I want to know if there's some secret trick to actually getting the thing to play. I figured out from googling that the issue is somekind of stupid online feature the disc has. I downloaded the updates to my player (Sony S-470) and it didn't resolve the issue.

I've gotten this blu ray in at the shop a number of times, and have tried it with a number of blu ray players and it has never worked. I think I just ended up watching it on Netflix or something.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sporadic posted:

:tviv:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8987

drat, that looks awesome and I'd argue the cover is better than anything Criterion has put out in a long time.

Holy sweet Jesus.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner is releasing Dial M for Murder and Strangers on a Train on Oct. 9. Dial M is a new 4K restoration with 2-D and 3-D versions.

I'm going to wait for reviews on Universal's Hitchcock set. Rear Window will especially look terrible if put through DVNR considering it was shot on grainier early Eastmancolor stock.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Warner is releasing Dial M for Murder and Strangers on a Train on Oct. 9. Dial M is a new 4K restoration with 2-D and 3-D versions.

I'm going to wait for reviews on Universal's Hitchcock set. Rear Window will especially look terrible if put through DVNR considering it was shot on grainier early Eastmancolor stock.

Does Universal have a reputation for doing that? I was pretty hyped about finally getting Rear Window on blu-ray and that's some bad news.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Does Universal have a reputation for doing that? I was pretty hyped about finally getting Rear Window on blu-ray and that's some bad news.

Not anymore but they do have a reputation for using older transfers instead of putting up the cash for a brand new one.

Still, I think it should be fine.

- edit And hey, the preorder for Friends: The Complete Collection is up on Amazon.

$195.99 - That's not bad for 10 seasons of TV.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B008D19WBQ

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 23, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Not anymore but they do have a reputation for using older transfers instead of putting up the cash for a brand new one.

Still, I think it should be fine.

- edit And hey, the preorder for Friends: The Complete Collection is up on Amazon.

$195.99 - That's not bad for 10 seasons of TV.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B008D19WBQ

Unfortunately those ten seasons of tv are Friends.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Unfortunately those ten seasons of tv are Friends.

I was gonna make this joke, but picking on FRIENDS is such low hanging fruit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can't afford this :smith:

I can't NOT afford this :gonk:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sklyansky posted:

That's a bummer. So I take it remastered editions of the first six seasons of 24 probably wouldn't be in the cards either, seeing that its also Fox.

How was that filmed/broadcast? drat these shows that came out in the limbo of when HD was just catching on so it wasn't really a priority.

Gilmore Girls is weird like that too. I don't think it was ever even broadcast in HD (even in syndication), and you can only buy physical DVDs of it, but digital HD versions of seasons 3-7 exist.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I already 'have' HD versions of Friends as they've been getting quite a bit of showing recently. I own the DVD's but they're in storage now, and it was quicker to back them up like this than engage in any time consuming ripping. I know that the UK's Comedy Central show them in HD now, even the early seasons looks pretty good and I realised how colourful the show was, in that garish 90's way. Let's say men's fashion was pretty bad then.

I only ever watch up until the London episodes though because after that things go downhill fast.

Anyway, The West Wing is another show that's had this treatment. With the versions that Amazon stream being HD masters and in widescreen. I'm sure it was different for the US but the first few DVD releases of the show in the UK were full screen, with I think Season 4 onwards switching to wide.

Hell according to Netflix even Murder, She Wrote is in HD.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

^^^ I have the West Wing DVDs up to s5 but I haven't put them on in ages... I can't remember how the title cards etc are done, but on the HD 16x9 online they're all 4x3 cropped while the rest of the show is wide.

I think both West Wing and Friends are looking fantastic in their remasters, Friends probably more so as those SD masters were floating around for years and were looking pretty ropey for the last year. The show looks completely different now, a massive improvement. I watched most of the first season of West Wing and thought that looked pretty good too, but it always looked good for an SD show.

ElwoodCuse posted:

How was that filmed/broadcast? drat these shows that came out in the limbo of when HD was just catching on so it wasn't really a priority.

Gilmore Girls is weird like that too. I don't think it was ever even broadcast in HD (even in syndication), and you can only buy physical DVDs of it, but digital HD versions of seasons 3-7 exist.

Gilmore Girls is yet another case of a 'funny' one - from memory, later seasons were broadcast in HD 16x9, but the DVDs were cropped to 4x3 because that's how Amy Sherman Palladino wanted them, the 16x9 broadcast was against her wishes.

(I just looked it up, and a site talking about the imminent 2005 release of the DVD box set states 'Again I'm annoyed that Amy Sherman-Palladino or the WB are releasing this in full screen format and not the originally aired wide screen format but is in Dolby Surround sound.')

I think the current web versions of the show look pretty good, and I imagine she shot it 4x3 safe due to the years of production and the fact that was her preferred AR while knowing the broadcast would be wider. Friends was shot without this being a factor, and generally to save money so it's a different circumstance. I personally don't think I'd find issue with either aspect ratio being used if it ever did come out on Blu-Ray, but I imagine it would be the 16x9 versions we see online.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 24, 2012

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

The pHo posted:

^^^ I have the West Wing DVDs up to s5 but I haven't put them on in ages... I can't remember how the title cards etc are done, but on the HD 16x9 online they're all 4x3 cropped while the rest of the show is wide.

I think both West Wing and Friends are looking fantastic in their remasters, Friends probably more so as those SD masters were floating around for years and were looking pretty ropey for the last year. The show looks completely different now, a massive improvement. I watched most of the first season of West Wing and thought that looked pretty good too, but it always looked good for an SD show.

Gilmore Girls is yet another case of a 'funny' one - from memory, later seasons were broadcast in HD 16x9, but the DVDs were cropped to 4x3 because that's how Amy Sherman Palladino wanted them, the 16x9 broadcast was against her wishes.

(I just looked it up, and a site talking about the imminent 2005 release of the DVD box set states 'Again I'm annoyed that Amy Sherman-Palladino or the WB are releasing this in full screen format and not the originally aired wide screen format but is in Dolby Surround sound.')

I think the current web versions of the show look pretty good, and I imagine she shot it 4x3 safe due to the years of production and the fact that was her preferred AR while knowing the broadcast would be wider. Friends was shot without this being a factor, and generally to save money so it's a different circumstance. I personally don't think I'd find issue with either aspect ratio being used if it ever did come out on Blu-Ray, but I imagine it would be the 16x9 versions we see online.

There was an issue with the Buffy Boxsets as well. Here in the UK the seasons were released as widescreen but in the US they were shot and released in 4x3. Whedon was surprised to learn there was widescreen releases as they were never approved, and as he says, the episodes were made specifically for 4x3. As a result there's one or two goofs visible since people were never meant to see that much of the frame.

As for The West Wing. Yeah the title card was produced in 4x3 so that doesn't change if you're watching in widescreen or not. I think the 'previously on...' stuff remains 4x3 as well.

In the case of The West Wing, they were careful to keep the action to the centre of the frame as they knew it would be going out in 4x3, however there still seemed to be an eye for opening that up as, unlike the Buffy issue, there's still action going on around the edges. The episode 'Two Cathedrals' for example looks amazing now it's opened up.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I don't know if it'll make a difference to some people but tvshowsondvd.com mentioned that the Friends blu-ray will contain the original broadcast versions of the episodes and not the ones with the deleted scenes inserted like the DVDs had. Specifically, the article said "The extended cuts were special versions created for the DVDs and no longer exist in a form that could be used for a Blu-ray release."

I have less than no idea what they're talking about because of my lack of experience with the show, but it sounds like something that some people might be up in arms about considering the price.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Space_Butler posted:

I don't know if it'll make a difference to some people but tvshowsondvd.com mentioned that the Friends blu-ray will contain the original broadcast versions of the episodes and not the ones with the deleted scenes inserted like the DVDs had. Specifically, the article said "The extended cuts were special versions created for the DVDs and no longer exist in a form that could be used for a Blu-ray release."

I have less than no idea what they're talking about because of my lack of experience with the show, but it sounds like something that some people might be up in arms about considering the price.

That's a shame but it's not a deal breaker. As far as I'm aware it was only the US that had those extended cuts anyway. Basically where the commercials usually go there's about a minute or so added to each episode, some of it is pretty funny, some of it is minor but it was nice to see what were essentially deleted scenes.

In fact it was a pretty cool idea and I don't know why more sitcoms on dvd didn't do it.

• Locked thread