Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Modus Operandi posted:

One Thai airport security guy could (amazingly) speak some Mandarin. Every time they would try to cut he would smile and herd them back like little puppies. I commend him for his tolerance.

Then to my right were Russians doing the same poo poo except pushing their way through the mass of people. To my left were english speaking tourists whining the whole time.

It was like the 9th circle of hell. I wanted to do a backflip onto my head and just end it.
Hahaha, yes, I've been there. You have to add in the Indian who shoves my mother out of the way, physically, to cut in front. Somehow I didn't see it, but a Thai security guard did and the cultural disdain for Indian manners was helpful.

The Russians are the worst of the Europeans for sure. I and another large guy, an Australian, were both late for our plane when some Russians decided to try to push through with their stroller. We basically puffed up, folded the arms and got in their faces and it *still* took like 5 minutes to get them to back down. They would try pushing the stroller into our legs, going around us - everything. Russians are an absolute nightmare when it comes to dealing with airports. Outside of airports I haven't had any issues, but I don't go to Pattaya, heh. There should be a general alarm any time an Aeroflot or Air India flight lands to let us all prepare.

EDIT: Currently eating dinner next to Nichida Thani. Little piece of home, heh. Screaming teenagers, sombreros on the wall, mozarella sticks, chips & salsa. Yeehaw. Have to bring eviljelly here on his civilization trips.

EDIT: Just ordered a corn dog. Livin' the dream.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Modus Operandi posted:

That's true but TW does import a lot of SE Asian laborers from maids to construction to misc. service industry to wives. There are booku Vietnamese wives in Taiwan. In fact there are so many that the government was hand wringing for awhile about the increasingly skewed marriage stats of TW men with foreign (Mainland and Vietnamese mostly) wives.

Who are they supposed to marry? All the Taiwanese hotties are already in Manhattan or Paris doing performance art.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

I totally disagree re: Vietnam. In my travels through India and SEA, it was the only place I heard people badmouth. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I spent 6 months in India so have a fairly high tolerance for the merchant bullshit, or more likely due to the fact that we had our own motorbike and didn't depend on the tourist infrastructure. We dealt with very few touts and most of them moved on with a simple "no" or eyeroll.

We often had to depend on the kindness of strangers and communicate entirely through broken Vietnamese and mime. So many people went entirely out of their way help us, and there were tons of small acts of kindness that we didn't experience anywhere else in Thailand or Laos. We were basically adopted by various people in almost any town who took enormous amounts of time out of their lives to share their cities, culture and food with us without expecting anything in return.

Also, Vietnamese food is loving amazing. I really love Thai food, but the sheer variety, depth of flavor and emphasis on freshness found in VN streetfood is unparalleled. Fresh beer. Great coffee. The banh mi is one of the greatest sandwiches in the known world. Lots of fresh veg (increasingly important after a year of travel).

I don't doubt that people have terrible experiences here. You will certainly be overcharged if you aren't vigilant and even then you still will. Regardless, my wife and I have had a great time.

We just finished riding from Hanoi to HCMC and I also wanted to give a shoutout to Pompous Rhombus for inspiring me to get a bike whenever the hell he originally posted about it.

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
Would anyone know something or have any experience about Indonesia?

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ReindeerF posted:

There are all kinds of careers you can telecommute for these days, just have to get creative and start doing research.

How do you handle the visa? Do you have a working visa or do you telecommute/work remotely on a student visa or something?

There seems to be a lot of confusion, even within the Thai government, as to how legal the latter is. I think the easiest thing to do is don't ask, don't tell, which is how I plan to approach it.

Then again, technically I won't be working. I'll be on paid leave and I'll be monitoring from afar...

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ReindeerF posted:

Screaming teenagers, sombreros on the wall, mozarella sticks, chips & salsa.

a shining beacon of truth, justice and liberty

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Finch! posted:

How do you handle the visa? Do you have a working visa or do you telecommute/work remotely on a student visa or something?

There seems to be a lot of confusion, even within the Thai government, as to how legal the latter is. I think the easiest thing to do is don't ask, don't tell, which is how I plan to approach it.

Then again, technically I won't be working. I'll be on paid leave and I'll be monitoring from afar...
This falls under the don't ask, don't tell policy of the expat omerta. That said, I have had a work permit for 5 of the 6 years I've lived and worked in Thailand. Many people, including people I know who live here, raise their kids here and work abroad from here, don't have any official visa at all.

The government policy on sole proprietors or any other thing is one thing, yeah, and confusing. The reality in almost all cases I've ever heard of (leave aside oddball professions like music or journalism) is you have to have a company, 2MM in registered capital and X# Thai employees to obtain a work permit - or have a company meeting those requirements sponsor you. The BOI, on the other hand, is a different story.

eviljelly posted:

a shining beacon of truth, justice and liberty
:patriot:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I totally disagree re: Vietnam. In my travels through India and SEA, it was the only place I heard people badmouth. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I spent 6 months in India so have a fairly high tolerance for the merchant bullshit, or more likely due to the fact that we had our own motorbike and didn't depend on the tourist infrastructure. We dealt with very few touts and most of them moved on with a simple "no" or eyeroll.

We often had to depend on the kindness of strangers and communicate entirely through broken Vietnamese and mime. So many people went entirely out of their way help us, and there were tons of small acts of kindness that we didn't experience anywhere else in Thailand or Laos. We were basically adopted by various people in almost any town who took enormous amounts of time out of their lives to share their cities, culture and food with us without expecting anything in return.

Also, Vietnamese food is loving amazing. I really love Thai food, but the sheer variety, depth of flavor and emphasis on freshness found in VN streetfood is unparalleled. Fresh beer. Great coffee. The banh mi is one of the greatest sandwiches in the known world. Lots of fresh veg (increasingly important after a year of travel).

I don't doubt that people have terrible experiences here. You will certainly be overcharged if you aren't vigilant and even then you still will. Regardless, my wife and I have had a great time.

We just finished riding from Hanoi to HCMC and I also wanted to give a shoutout to Pompous Rhombus for inspiring me to get a bike whenever the hell he originally posted about it.

:glomp: Finally, someone who thinks like me. Also, are you in HCMC and looking to sell your bike?

Gumog posted:

Would anyone know something or have any experience about Indonesia?

Never been to Jakarta but I've spent a week in Jogjakarta (and going back soon) and I loved the city. It's calm, quite nice, good restaurants, some cool bars for the nightlife, awesome graffitis everywhere and good mix of different cultures and religions.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Senso posted:

:glomp: Finally, someone who thinks like me. Also, are you in HCMC and looking to sell your bike?

Never been to Jakarta but I've spent a week in Jogjakarta (and going back soon) and I loved the city. It's calm, quite nice, good restaurants, some cool bars for the nightlife, awesome graffitis everywhere and good mix of different cultures and religions.
I wish the thread had more Indonesian content myself, it just seems like not as many people spend as much time there. We have had some great advice and trip reports on it over time, but I think it's the only country besides Burma, Laos and The Philippines (Brunei & East Timor don't count!) where we don't have a thread resident or expat living there, which probably hurts a bit. I've never been and really want to go, so the more that's posted about it the better.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I spent the day in Batam and it was pretty hellish.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Senso posted:

Yes! Buy my book bike!

Studebaker Hawk fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 24, 2012

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
I did three weeks in Indonesia after I finished in the Peace Corps. Java, Bali, and Sumatra. I could share advice on those areas, especially for people looking to travel (number one note: don't loving go to Kuta) if needed for the thread, but I wouldn't be able to help any with people who'd be spending longer periods there working or living. It's a cool country worth visiting for sure, though.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

CronoGamer posted:

I did three weeks in Indonesia after I finished in the Peace Corps. Java, Bali, and Sumatra. I could share advice on those areas, especially for people looking to travel (number one note: don't loving go to Kuta) if needed for the thread, but I wouldn't be able to help any with people who'd be spending longer periods there working or living. It's a cool country worth visiting for sure, though.

Aside from Kuta\Bali being a tourist trap, is there a specific reason? Annoying people? Lots of scams? It was on my list to check out.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
People don't like it because it is just like Khao San road except it is only full of drunk and obnoxious Aussies with no respect for Bali and Indonesia who treat the place with no respect and care little for the consequences of there actions. These are the people that give other Aussie travellers a bad name.

I plan on going to Indonesia in September at the start of my journey and I am interested in seeing how bad we Aussies really act in Bali. I guess I can expect all the worst stereotypes of bogans only magnified ten-fold due to the abundance of cheap booze.

Some cool places I have found so far to visit in and around Indonesia are Bromo Tengger Semeru national park - I have never seen a volcano before plus the pictures of the area look spectacular definitely one of the places I would like to visit. Komodo dragons, close to Bali which is probably where I will arrive so seems like the way to go also along the way check out Nusa and Lombok on the way since that is more closer to the paradise that Bali used to be renowned for before drunk Aussies took over.

Also Lake Toba sounds like a pretty chill place I am hoping it feels just like 4000 Islands in Laos and I can just spend time relaxing in a hammock and checking out the hot springs. Another place that I can't remember the name for; it had 3 lakes that are coloured due to a volcano and the sulphur, one lake is blue, one lake is red and one lake is black I think.

Really looking forward to and it would be cool if there was more information on Indonesia - I will happily share more information when I am there since ideally I will spend a few months there.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
If you're looking to party for cheap, get laid, and not hit the beach at all then Kuta is great. Lots of clubs, easy to get around because there is tons of English, and all the amenities of home (or at least of australia). And its not like ALL the other tourists are bad. But the bad ones are loud, wasted, and terrible. The only locals you deal with are just trying to milk you for all you're worth- not that I blame them. They aren't pulling scams, just overcharging because they know they can and that's their livelihood. The beach is absolutely foul. If you go swimming you literally have to push through or dive underneath a layer of garbage- plastic shopping bags, styrofoam, potato chip bags, old gasoline jerry cans, and god knows what else mixed in. There's no way it's healthy.

If you're not on a backpacker budget I strongly recommend Sanur or Seminyak, both of which are on the same peninsula as Kuta but not overrun and full of garbage. You'll have a much nicer time I think.

This isn't to say Bali sucks though. I am crazy about Bali. It's a beautiful place. Ubud is a really pretty town and lots of fun, though also creeping toward tourist trap status... and if you go to the monkey forest, don't get bitten in the face like I did, haha. Lovina is supposed to be cool up on the northern coast (volcanic black sand beach), and there are lots of neat Hindu temples scattered among the rice terraces throughout the island. Great place... but gently caress Kuta.

Bromo is fun. That was one of our first stops. I've been to several volcanoes (I live basically in eyesight of Mt. Fuji right now) but the Bromo area was something different. The plateau of ash around the cone was really neat and made for great pictures. The sunrise shots I was able to get at Bromo are unreal. Ill post them after I get home from work if I remember. Well worth the trip, and doing the pre-sunrise drive to the nearby lookout point- but it's cold! You'll want a sweatshirt and a hat if you can get em.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Yes! Buy my book bike!

What's the model/year and how much? I'm looking to buy a motorbike for my wife and I also need a new one, though I'd prefer to buy a used but still good bike.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Your experience in Vietnam mirrored my own (although I didn't do the whole country, I'd like to someday!), glad to hear you had a great trip!

Vietnamese people are pretty awesome and while I know at least some of the banter the last couple of pages is tongue-in-cheek, I'd hate for this thread to turn into the :10bux: version of ThaiVisa.

Senso posted:

What's the model/year and how much? I'm looking to buy a motorbike for my wife and I also need a new one, though I'd prefer to buy a used but still good bike.

Assuming it's a Minsk, maybe not an ideal around-towner (clutch/manual transmission, relatively nasty 2-stroke exhaust), but great if you want to take trips out of the city into areas with crappy roads on the weekends. The foreign lawyer I bought mine from used it for that and said he really enjoyed it.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Back in Bangkok! I wish we never left.

Sorry again Evilljelly, though even if the Internet worked I might have missed you. I was in really bad shape on koh Tao, I ended up getting the worst sunburn you can imagine because I was an idiot and went snorkeling all day without reapplying sunscreen. It was my first time seeing so many fish, was having a ton of fun, and ended up with my back shoulders neck just covered in blisters the size of golf balls. Next few days were spent in unbearable pain, then the few after that in slightly more tolerable pain. After that I got sick with something else, then my girlfriend cut her leg open on some coral pretty bad, which was fine until it got so infected she couldn't walk and it was oozing puss everywhere, a visit to the clinic and a few days later, it was all good. Hahah, bad luck.

It was still a really great place except for the food though. That's why I'm loving Bangkok, though apparently Monday a lot of the stalls close, we still just found a great lunch in Chinatown, it's pretty cool there since every now and then you run into somebody who can speak mandarin somewhat and you can communicate a little more in depth. I don't know why this city gets so much hate, I really like it.

We wanted to check out sukhumvit soi 38 tonight, but I guess if the stalls are closed it can be saved for tomorrow. 12 days left in Thailand, just going to stick in the city and keep crossing food off reindeers list and adding a few more.

Though we really wanted to check out Penang as well, we've already been to Singapore and I think a lot of the food is going to overlap.

Invisible Handjob fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 25, 2012

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Your experience in Vietnam mirrored my own (although I didn't do the whole country, I'd like to someday!), glad to hear you had a great trip!

Vietnamese people are pretty awesome and while I know at least some of the banter the last couple of pages is tongue-in-cheek, I'd hate for this thread to turn into the :10bux: version of ThaiVisa.

Assuming it's a Minsk, maybe not an ideal around-towner (clutch/manual transmission, relatively nasty 2-stroke exhaust), but great if you want to take trips out of the city into areas with crappy roads on the weekends. The foreign lawyer I bought mine from used it for that and said he really enjoyed it.
Older Suzuki GN 1255cc, clutch/manual though it is a 4-stroke. We had only ridden automatic/semi-automatic scooters before; truth be told, I never learned to drive a manual car. We taught ourselves to drive in the insanity that is Hanoi traffic which is one of the ballsiest/stupid things I have done since I stopped doing heroin.

Coritani
Aug 5, 2007
I'm doing a tour of Vietnam on the 30th, but I fly into Ho Chi Minh city on the 27th. So I basically have three nights to kill in Ho Chi Minh. Anyone got some ideas for some cool poo poo I could do while for those three nights? And what are some good bars to hit up where tourists tend to hang out?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah well me missus reckons Vietnamese ate her puppy :wtf: :argh: :wtf: so you can take yer Vietnams and keep em then !!!!

another hallmark of the TV poster is the massive abuse of formatting and markup tools as they are all like your mom the first time she got a copy of Word

Invisible Handjob posted:

We wanted to check out sukhumvit soi 38 tonight, but I guess if the stalls are closed it can be saved for tomorrow. 12 days left in Thailand, just going to stick in the city and keep crossing food off reindeers list and adding a few more.
Here's another one for you that's a bit more adventurous and fun (if you do it the way I recommend):

Take a taxi to here (Wat Khlong Toey Nok) to arrive by about 08:00 in the morning on a weekend day:
http://goo.gl/maps/Wt7k

You'll have to tell then Tha Rua Khlong Toey which sounds like Tah Rooa Clawng To-ey - it means Khlong Toey Port (you'll see the Port signs in English). Better if you rent bikes and bike there yourselves, if possible, can be done easily from Thong Lo or Sukhumvit Soi 38. Once you get to the Port, go down toward the big gate until you see a 7-11. Take a right in the alley a few meters past the 7-11 with the big Wat archway and keep walking until you get to the end. Looks like a dead end, but it's a breezeway with a toll booth. Hold up two fingers, they'll probably charge you 20 Baht for a private boat (they prefer that to letting you use the ferry - long story). Get on whatever boat they point you to and point directly across when they ask where (the name is like Bpad Shing, but it's weird pronunciation). Get off at the big metal pier directly across and walk up the gangplank. You'll see lovely bicycles for rent cheap. Rent one.

Get on the bike and start riding down the road. Just kinda keep going straight. You'll pass a park on your left after 5 minutes (you can visit later, keep going). You're heading here (Wat Bang Nam Pheung):

http://goo.gl/maps/88aL

To ask for it, just ask for Talaat Nam (Floating Market) all the locals expect you're going there, so it's easy. After a while heading straight from the pier and then taking a few sharp corners, you'll pop out on a road called Petchahung. Take a right there and then your first big left (at Wat Bang Nam Pheung road). By now you'll have started seeing signs for Floating Market. Take your first big left under the big wat archway onto Ying Amnuay road and ride up until you see the wat and the floating market. Disembark, wander around eating all the foods. Make sure you do this on a weekend morning or it'll suck.

Or, if that's too much, you can google this and find a tour:
Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market Tour

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Older Suzuki GN 1255cc, clutch/manual though it is a 4-stroke. We had only ridden automatic/semi-automatic scooters before; truth be told, I never learned to drive a manual car. We taught ourselves to drive in the insanity that is Hanoi traffic which is one of the ballsiest/stupid things I have done since I stopped doing heroin.

Oh, nice! How much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking I want to try a longer one-way trip (just wait for the bike to give out and ditch it in whatever country), but I'm concerned a Minsk might not make it far enough to be interesting given the availability of parts outside of Vietnam/Laos :v:

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Coritani posted:

I'm doing a tour of Vietnam on the 30th, but I fly into Ho Chi Minh city on the 27th. So I basically have three nights to kill in Ho Chi Minh. Anyone got some ideas for some cool poo poo I could do while for those three nights? And what are some good bars to hit up where tourists tend to hang out?

Here are a few bars in HCMC. Unfortunately, two nice places closed in the past few months (Ala Mezon and the Russian Bar):
- Sax 'n Art (jazz bar with live music every night, the manager usually plays sax with guests)
- Rock Fan Club (live music, rock/metal/etc.)
- Le Pub (right in Pham Ngu Lao, on a small side street)
- La Habana (filipino cover band, good ti' punch)
- Blanchy's Tash (expensive American-style bar with cute girls and douchebags)
- Thi Cafe (trendy, live music sometimes)
- My Place (for excellent Belgian food and beers)
- Drunken Duck (sport bar, sexy staff)
- Vasco's (if you like loud dance music (I don't))

Around Pham Ngu Lao (backpacker street) there are many bars, most of them are lovely but can be fun for a few nights, to do people watching and all that. Allez Boo, Buffalo Bar, etc. 163 Cyclo Bar on PNL is the typical bar for single old white men, as soon as you enter the place a girl will be "assigned" to you and make you drink while chatting, etc.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Directions through Mordor

Hahah, it certainly does sound exciting. With so many days here though, I guess we'll give it a try next weekend. We are both terrible with directions so but I will be damned if I am taking a tour when you have laid such an adventure in front of me. Thanks man, your advice has been a fantastic help so far.

Whereabouts in the city are you based anyways? Do you just eat around the neighborhood or regularly make fantastic journeys out to these hotspots?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Mordor = China ok, don't get it twisted :mad:

Also: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3260679&pagenumber=62#post393768744

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I hereby change this thread to the :10bux: ThaiVisa. Everyone, change your usernames to some stupid Thai word/expression your missus taught you and steer any discussion into what your missus said.

Keeneeow555: told me missus in uk dont have som tum. she didnt believe me!
FalangBababobo: keeneeow: LOL me missus said the same thing then cancelled her uk visa and took the house i built for her in sakon nakon.
IssanMan69: som num na mate,,,, me missus wud never do that,,,

- - -

Invisible Handjob: Try to find a moo ga-ta place. They're usually not more than 120 baht per person and it's all you can eat. Usually a fun experience. Here's a lovely youtube video: http://youtu.be/cuYo3B7Adhk?t=31s

Ringo R fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 25, 2012

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Hahah true, I just got things mixed up since I'm returning there so soon.

I haven't forgotten about Wat Khek! Going to check it out and visit Tukta very soon, maybe tomorrow, actually. That should be an adventure too. We actually haven't even seen any temples in Thailand yet, just kind of walking around eating and exploring.

Also, there is this noodle joint near our guesthouse which is really good but the lady never lets me use the fish sauce on the table, she asks my girlfriend if she wants any, makes a big show about how I shouldn't touch it, and sometimes will actually remove it from the condiment holder and take it away. I like fish sauce :(

Edit : hey, whoa. We are at new road guest house, which looking at the map, is like super close to Wat Khek and all the places you posted. We can easily walk there, doing that tomorrow for sure.

Invisible Handjob fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 25, 2012

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Kuala Lumpur trip report: KL was the first place I landed in Southeast Asia (Singapore doesn't count), back in September. My impression then was that it was a dirty, lovely, boring city but I enjoyed the Petaling Street market. And I appreciated that everything was really cheap. One of my regrets was that I only had a couple days here and I got to the Petronas Towers too late in the morning to get the tickets.

I returned last Thursday for my second time here, after bumming around for many months around the region, and boy has my perspective changed. Everything seems very orderly and grand! And there's a highly functional metro system! And EVERYONE speaks English! But, boy oh boy, everything is so expensive! It's tough to get a meal for under 9 RM ($3). And they want me to pay 80 RM to go up to the Petronas Towers? gently caress that. Oh and I'm really enjoying all the shopping malls and fast food and movie theaters...

Modus Operandi
Oct 5, 2010

Ringo R posted:

Invisible Handjob: Try to find a moo ga-ta place. They're usually not more than 120 baht per person and it's all you can eat. Usually a fun experience. Here's a lovely youtube video: http://youtu.be/cuYo3B7Adhk?t=31s
Part of the charm is seeing cockroaches skitter across the floor and around the plates to serve food. Stray cats/dogs gnawing on mystery meat at your table. Then smelling like moo ga-ta the rest of the day until you take a shower and wash your hair. The towers are cheap though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Invisible Handjob posted:

Hahah, it certainly does sound exciting. With so many days here though, I guess we'll give it a try next weekend. We are both terrible with directions so but I will be damned if I am taking a tour when you have laid such an adventure in front of me. Thanks man, your advice has been a fantastic help so far.

Whereabouts in the city are you based anyways? Do you just eat around the neighborhood or regularly make fantastic journeys out to these hotspots?
Sure thing, no problem! I can recommend a bunch of places off the beaten path, they're just hard to get to. I forgot to say in that earlier post, you can just grab a motorbike taxi at the pier and say "talaat nam" and avoid the bikes if you want, but this area's the famous "REAL Asia" bike tour that all those joints charge you like 1,500 Baht for to do exactly what I laid out.

I didn't realize you were in Silom, I would amend your itinerary. Do this instead:

Rent Bikes:
1) Ride Southeast on Narathiwat all the way to Rama III. Take a right on Rama III and go to exactly this spot. On your left, just before the fence to the tall Bangkok Bank HQ tower, you'll see a green road sign hidden partially by a tree that says "Bang Krachao Pier" in English. Next to it is a little canal with a narrow walkway abutting the chain link fence. It looks like, "No way, can't be there." It's there. Walk down the walkway, past a water control booth at the end and on to a long patchwork pier. A boat will be there or come shortly. You'll need to take two to get both bikes across maybe. Ten Baht each, probably.

2) Land on the other side and use the Floating Market waypoint above to figure out how to get there. Otherwise just keep asking people "Talaat Nam Yuu Nai?" - so like ta-laht nahm you nye?

No Bikes:
1) Walk from your place to Chong Nonsi BTS station, go up the stairs and don't enter the BTS - continue South above Narathiwat road following the signs directing you to the BRT. Enter the BRT station and buy a ticket for Naram 3 station. Get off at Naram 3 station and continue on foot Souteast to Rama III Road - about 500m or so (you can also hail a taxi, say Phra Rahm Sahm and then motion to turn right when you get to it). If you walk, you'll get to a giant road, that's Rama III. Cross over Rama III straight ahead Southeast, turn right on the other side and cross Narathiwat heading due South. Walk about 500m and you'll arrive at the Bang Krachao Pier sign mentioned above. Get on the boat and on the other side, after you exit, walk into the wat and you should see a row of parked motorbikes. At the end is usually a motorbike taxi stand. If not, just ask local "Win mosike you nai?" and they should point you around.

To your other question, I live up near the Nonthaburi Pier - last stop on the yellow or orange flag river boat if you head north. I do a gently caress ton of trail running and biking all around the outskirts of Bangkok and I get to try all kinds of random-rear end restaurants and see all kinds of interesting stuff thanks to that. There's a great wild game restaurant, for example, hidden off Suksawat Soi 30 that's got boars and foxes running around the parking lot and all kinds of stuff. Good food. Never would have found that if some people hadn't taken me.

Always happy to give advice if I can! I should note that there's a very high end restaurant on soi 38 just past the night market called Faces if you want a night out with the lady that's more elegant.

Ringo R posted:

I hereby change this thread to the :10bux: ThaiVisa. Everyone, change your usernames to some stupid Thai word/expression your missus taught you and steer any discussion into what your missus said.

Keeneeow555: told me missus in uk dont have som tum. she didnt believe me!
FalangBababobo: keeneeow: LOL me missus said the same thing then cancelled her uk visa and took the house i built for her in sakon nakon.
IssanMan69: som num na mate,,,, me missus wud never do that,,,
Jaidee888: asked me missus today why she has to spend so much time with her mum an brother coming in at all hours and she said mum is sick i'm okay with her helping mum but i'm starting to think something is up here
IsaanBob: reckon she is runnin around on you happened to me take all the money and leave RIGHT NOW
Jaidee888: i would but i love her kid (not mine, from some basterd thai poo yai what left her) and cant bear too leave
IsaanBob: u can take the girl out of the bar m8 but its still in her
Farang24837: yea all thais rob u blind they are animals and no only pack mentality to feed on fulangs
IsaanBob: :thumbsup: yep savages leav while u still can Jaidee before missus and her boyfrend get wise and shoot u dont listen if u want som nam naa to u
NanaMan: yep m8 rob u blind

typical conversation

Two months later..

Jaidee888: GUYS U WERE RIGHT BUT I DIDNT LISTEN DOES ANYONE KNO A GOOD LAWYER TURNS OUT THE GARDNER WAS MISSUS REAL HUSBAND AND THEY MOVED INTOOK THE HOUSE I GOT NOTHIN LEFT HAVE TO GO BACK TO UK!!!! HE;LP
NanaMan: som nam naaa
Farang24837: yep
IssanMan69: i met my new wife Nan at travel agent in nana so i dont never worry she has got a heart of gold sorry for you're problems but wont happen too me she dont even mind when i go out to the bars as long as its during her time of the month she says men got needs and she is rite!!! real angel she is

actual near-quotes i've read over the years pieced together

Ringo R posted:

Do not eat Moo Ga-That, Jesus. That poo poo is rank as gently caress, who knows what the Hell the meat is, heh. Just go get yakiniku or something if you want BBQ.

eviljelly posted:

Kuala Lumpur trip report...
Exactly my experience, yeah. When I go now I'm like "Oh look, you can walk on the sidewalks and the power lines don't look like something out of a post-apocalyptic movie."

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 25, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I have a real fear that someday, some Thai reporter is going to start translating ThaiVisa and printing it as a feature column in Thai Rath to explain how farangs feel about Thailand and there's going to be a rash of hate crimes against anyone who looks foreign. I wouldn't blame them after reading it, heh.

If someone stumbled on to a community of tens of thousands of Chinese immigrants talking like that in America it would be huge local news. "Tonight on Channel 2's BIG STORY, we've uncovered a local web site where illegal Chinese immigrants talk about how to avoid immigration regulations and - shockingly - spend most of their time calling Americans lazy thieves and discussing where the cheapest brothels are. News at 11."

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

I have a real fear that someday, some Thai reporter is going to start translating ThaiVisa and printing it as a feature column in Thai Rath to explain how farangs feel about Thailand and there's going to be a rash of hate crimes against anyone who looks foreign. I wouldn't blame them after reading it, heh.

If someone stumbled on to a community of tens of thousands of Chinese immigrants talking like that in America it would be huge local news. "Tonight on Channel 2's BIG STORY, we've uncovered a local web site where illegal Chinese immigrants talk about how to avoid immigration regulations and - shockingly - spend most of their time calling Americans lazy thieves and discussing where the cheapest brothels are. News at 11."

I post on a site where English teachers in Japan bullshit back and forth about their jobs. Kinda like SA but with more casual stereotypes of the Japanese and stuff which is obvious to native speakers as tongue-in-cheek humor, but would be anything but obvious to someone translating it with a loose grasp of English. We found out a year or so ago that there was a Japanese site which took a thread where we were making fun of stupid Japanese beliefs/urban legends (like fan death, or that cold masks are a better option than staying home sick, or a number of other things) and translated key comments for their community to see how racist the gaijin were against their kind-hearted hosts. It didn't create a stir or anything, but it definitely happens.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

Uhhhhhhhh China Smack?

Except they aren't expats I guess.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sheep-Goats posted:

Uhhhhhhhh China Smack?

Except they aren't expats I guess.
Unlike you I am not CHINESE, Cheap-Goats, so I had not heard of this (!!!).

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
I know there have been some tongue-in-cheek (and not so tongue-in-cheek) comments on K440 that have pissed off a few Cambodian locals. As much as I try to avoid that site, it can be kinda funny seeing some of the reactions.

quote:

moo ga-ta
Ha, so this basically looks like what they call ko la phnom in Cambodia - it's actually one of my favourite things to eat here, when I can actually find a decent one.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Oh, nice! How much did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking? I've been thinking I want to try a longer one-way trip (just wait for the bike to give out and ditch it in whatever country), but I'm concerned a Minsk might not make it far enough to be interesting given the availability of parts outside of Vietnam/Laos :v:

We paid $400 for it and then spent an extra $40 getting a luggage rack made as it was myself and me missus and our two 40L bags and other misc. poo poo. I originally was going to go with the minsk but the suzuki is much more comfortable and I am occasionally mechanically retarded and didn't want to deal with the unreliability of a minsk.

If I was a single traveler I would probably end up with a 110 honda win as they are everywhere and dirt cheap, or a honda bonus but they are a bit harder to find. 125cc definitely came in handy during some of the more treacherous/steep mountain passes in the central highlands.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Tytan posted:

I know there have been some tongue-in-cheek (and not so tongue-in-cheek) comments on K440 that have pissed off a few Cambodian locals. As much as I try to avoid that site, it can be kinda funny seeing some of the reactions.
K440 is weird, for sure. It's worse than TV in some ways and better in others.

Tytan posted:

Ha, so this basically looks like what they call ko la phnom in Cambodia - it's actually one of my favourite things to eat here, when I can actually find a decent one.
Dude, the one you took me to was awesome if it's what we went to that time. Moo Ga-That is like mystery meat on a hot rock. You literally can't even identify it.

Gumog
Mar 20, 2009
As anyone ever been to the Tiger Temple in Thailand? Its a community of Buddhist monks that live alongside their tame tigers. The tigers outnumber the monks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Temple

There's a documentary about it on Hulu here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/362520#x-0,vepisode,1,0

When it comes to where I should go, I've narrowed my choice down to Thailand, Vietnam, or Taiwan - but still no closer to choosing between those three. So, I wanted to ask, at what stage in development are these countries? I have the impression that Thailand is over the bump in terms of development, as well is Taiwan, what about Vietnam?

Gumog fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 26, 2012

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Taiwan is the most developed, Thailand is still developing (Bangkok is an anomaly) and Vietnam is still developing. Of the three, Vietnam would be the least developed, but I'm guessing you wouldn't notice a massive difference between it and Thailand in terms of development outside of Bangkok (which has a skytrain a subway and so on). When you see a place like, say, Cambodia, though, Thailand's stage of development looks really modern by comparison.

Is there some specific thing you're looking for? General level of development won't play a huge part in your trip between the three unless medical care or education is involved, I think. They all have high speed internet and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Gumog posted:

As anyone ever been to the Tiger Temple in Thailand? Its a community of Buddhist monks that live alongside their tame tigers. The tigers outnumber the monks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Temple

There's a documentary about it on Hulu here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/362520#x-0,vepisode,1,0

When it comes to where I should go, I've narrowed my choice down to Thailand, Vietnam, or Taiwan - but still no closer to choosing between those three. So, I wanted to ask, at what stage in development are these countries? I have the impression that Thailand is over the bump in terms of development, as well is Taiwan, what about Vietnam?

I played with two baby tigers when I was there. They are quite strong. Tigers are rough to the touch. I didn't gently caress around with the adults. They are only half tame and the monks that work with them are covered in scars and twice as crazy as any motosai taxi driver.

As for your choices, Taiwan has more savvy, Thailand has more swagger, Vietnam has more secrets. They are all first world (with lovely third world trappings) in the cities you'd probably be working in, except perhaps for Taiwan, which is more first world than Texas (so not totally first but hey).

You should pick the country that you have the most potential of having some long term attachment to. Linguistic, hobby based, economic, whatever.