Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I do not have the palate currently to enjoy sours. I may kick myself later for passing, but I'm going to have to as $40 a bottle for something I don't think I'll like would be silly. I've done it once before and just couldn't bare to have it done again. I need to start small with sours.

Edit:

VVVVV I'll see what the pricing is, I'm going to a concert after Monk's so if the price is agreeable I'll pick it up on the way back.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Midorka posted:

I need to start small with sours.

Hence why I suggested a 375ml bottle of Tilquin Gueuze ;) Not super funky, and it's a tiny bottle so it's relatively harmless imo.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
So Dogfish Head Festina Peche... it's definitely peachy? I didn't really enjoy it all that much but my roommate sure did, which is pretty interesting since I really liked Founder's Cherise and he didn't.

Also, I saw a bottle of the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut and I'm kind of tempted to try it despite what this thread's opinions are on it...

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

enthe0s posted:

Also, I saw a bottle of the Rogue Voodoo Doughnut and I'm kind of tempted to try it despite what this thread's opinions are on it...

Don't do it. Don't fall for the pretty pink bottle. Believe us, we are trying to prevent you from making the same mistake we did!

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

enthe0s posted:

Fair warning; the liquid smoke taste/smell can't be easily washed away. It will linger on your skin for a couple showers if you spill it and you won't be able to easily wash the aftertaste out of your mouth.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Picked up two bottles of saison Brett and a bottle of Double Jack. Haven't had either :woop:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

enthe0s posted:

So Dogfish Head Festina Peche... it's definitely peachy? I didn't really enjoy it all that much but my roommate sure did, which is pretty interesting since I really liked Founder's Cherise and he didn't.

It's markedly less tart this year. It really is just all peaches at this point. Any claim to being a berliner weisse is pretty much eradicated at this point.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Festina Peche reminded me of taking a really new peach, before it even has hair on it, and chewing on the insides. "Baby" peaches have a mildly tarty and mildly sour taste to them with hints at what it will become, that's what I felt about Festina Peche this year.

Edit: Does anyone know how The Brew Kettle dates their bottles? My White Rajah has 2031 73e0f04 stamped on it. Whoa this is amazing, very tropical with a nice assertive grapefruit bite to it. I wish there was carbonation though, probably got messed up when shipped.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 22, 2012

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
It used to be really tart. Every year it gets worse

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Thanks. I'll add those to the list. And I will have a car while I'm out there, so I'll be able to get around easily. I'm hoping to get a friend from work who lives out there to be my DD as much as possible though so I can try as many things as I can without killing someone in the process.

I live in DC (well, Arlington), and I think the only ones that distribute out here are the ones I listed in my last post as well as Coronado Brewing Company, oddly enough. There could be a few others from the San Diego area that I've just overlooked, but does that help in singling out any great beers/breweries in particular? I go for IPAs most often, but there's no style I dislike, so even if there's an exceptional porter or something that I should try, I'd like to hear about it.

I'll also be staying in the Hillcrest/Mission Hills/Bankers Hill area, so if there are any recommended bars in that area that'd be helpful too.

You'll be more around the big bars than the big breweries, so check out Hamilton's & Blind Lady Ale House for sure. Great pizza at the latter. I'll have to defer to others for more opinions on bars, I don't hit them up very often. Oh, also, Toronado (not to be confused with Coronado), from what I've heard, would also be worth a visit.

Most of the breweries, from where you'll be staying, are a good 10-20 minutes away, for what it's worth. But, since our public transportation sucks around here and the county is so spread out, most things are 10-20 minutes away when you factor in traffic, so it's close, relatively speaking.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

cryme posted:

It used to be really tart. Every year it gets worse

This year was my first and I wasn't really happy with it until I let it get near room temperature. Which is disappointing, because I was pretty excited for a new summer beer staple, but served cold this stuff tasted like it should be in a Dixie cup, paired with butter cookies & administered just before nap time.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Does Brooklyn really not mark any kind of date at all on their Black Ops?

Last night we popped open the extra bottle we bought in 2010. It was loving amazing. So much molasses, caramel and chocolate in the nose you almost would rather smell it than drink it. Finish a mile long.

Normally when it comes to barrel aged beers, I prefer the Flemish reds and browns with their tannic, tart character to the boozy, hot, mess of flavors that often come from bourbon barrel aging. Black Ops is one of the good bourbon barrel beers even fresh, but with a few years on it, hold on to your hat.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Picked up some CCB Jai Alai and Tocabaga in Jax. Did you guys change the recipe in the past 6-7 months? It was a lot sweeter and less hoppy than i remember.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

cryme posted:

<beer from Dogfish head> used to be <good>. Every year <beers from Dogfish Head> get(s) worse

fixed

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

It's kind of sad but true. Their year rounds haven't really had an appreciable decline in quality, but the ones that initially inspired a bunch of hype have fallen off hard. And they are really obsessed with the ancient ales and this yeast they cultured here in delaware (it's bad and i hate it)

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

cryme posted:

It's kind of sad but true. Their year rounds haven't really had an appreciable decline in quality, but the ones that initially inspired a bunch of hype have fallen off hard. And they are really obsessed with the ancient ales and this yeast they cultured here in delaware (it's bad and i hate it)

Too much chasing of extreme, crazy and off the wall beer instead of chasing making the beer actually good and repeatable. They are one of the established, larger, more sophisticated craft brewshops in the US and its sad to see quality take a back seat to bat poo poo insanity.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wasn't 75-minute supposed to be good? I'm sad I never grabbed a bottle. They're definitely a hit or miss brewery, but on principle it's nice to have on one end of the spectrum a brewery willing to ship out some really weird stuff.

I kind of have to give them credit for 60-minute alone, considering that basically everyone I know got turned onto craft beer by 60-minute IPA -> IPAs in general -> local breweries -> more styles -> beer heaven. That's probably a Philly phenomenon, but whatever.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
Went out for a birthday drunk last night. Nothing special, except my last drink: de Struise Pannepot Grand Reserva 2005. Velvety, fruity, rich. Might have been past its prime age, but I might have been past my prime tasting ability, too.

Tonight, I had a Smuttynose Robust porter. It's good. Cocoa and vegetal aromas, roasty bitterness without much sweetness.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

I know Goose Island is kind of a weird thing right now, with their new ownership.

I'm able to get their stuff in PA now, which makes me happy. I grabbed a 4 pack of Sofie tonight, and I'm very happy with it. They also have Jacques and Nero... opinions?

I also managed to snag a bottle of DFH Positive Contact, which I'm pretty excited to try.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CalvinDooglas posted:

Went out for a birthday drunk last night. Nothing special, except my last drink: de Struise Pannepot Grand Reserva 2005. Velvety, fruity, rich. Might have been past its prime age, but I might have been past my prime tasting ability, too.
It's on shelves here, so I'm guessing it was meant to be aged at least this long. I have a bottle, not sure if I'm going to crack it soon or wait a year or three.

Had my first bottle of this year's Stone IRS. I had plenty on tap, and have to say it's drat solid in both formats. I'll be picking up a couple to give them the six month/one year treatment. And some more to drink now, I think.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Vertigo posted:

I know Goose Island is kind of a weird thing right now, with their new ownership.

I'm able to get their stuff in PA now, which makes me happy. I grabbed a 4 pack of Sofie tonight, and I'm very happy with it. They also have Jacques and Nero... opinions?

I also managed to snag a bottle of DFH Positive Contact, which I'm pretty excited to try.

Jacques is pretty solid and definitely worth picking up. Nero didn't impress me, though I had to drink it straight from the bottle so that might've dampened it a bit.

I'm finding myself getting burnt out on chasing whales, so cutting myself off from bomber purchases for awhile seems like a good idea. This also gives me a good chance to get sixes of stuff from some of my favorite breweries that I've yet to try before. Having loved every Crooked line beer I've laid hands on, does Uinta put out solid stuff in their sixes, too? Apparently the just started distributing here.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

CalvinDooglas posted:

Shane and I had two of these earlier this year at a quad tasting and it was easily the best beer of the night.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I never really understood the comparison of american hops to cat piss. I think that's because I've never been exposed to cat piss that hasn't been adulterated through some form of carpet or litter.

Long story short the cat pissed in the bath tub and now I have the taste for a really resinous IPA. I wish I was kidding.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

One of my drinking buddies manages a vet clinic. He's as intimately familiar with cat piss as anyone, and he never gets that smell from hops of any kind. He's something of a hop expert, too. Different people interpret the same aroma molecules differently, I suppose.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I think their Theobroma and some of their other big bottles have really gotten much better and Urkontinent is absolutely fantastic as was Bitches Brew. I don't see what's wrong with their 60 Minute, 90 Minute, Indian Brown Ale, Palo Santo, Red & White, Buton Baton, Midas Touch, and etc. I like their beer, but I've already stated this many times in this repeated conversation so I guess I'll leave it there. I am very excited to visit their brewery and brewpub next month though.

Last night I went to Monk's Cafe and it's a pretty cramped place, the front bar area can fit maybe 30 people seated, same with the back, so it was pretty cramped at 7pm on a Friday. I was able to get some Bear Republic Double Apex and it was a decent beer, a bit on the malty/sweet side with more hop presence in the nose than the body. It was enjoyable, but nothing spectacular. I also tried the Old HLT from Allagash and I enjoyed it. It wasn't as sour as I was expecting but sour cherries was still about all I could pick up out of it, my tastebuds just aren't acclimated enough to pick out nuances in sours. They also had Blind Pig and Damnation on tap from Russian River that I had a glass of each and really enjoyed.

Edit: I'm going to another show tonight and found a bar near the venue called the Prohibition Taproom. They have 2007 Bell's Expedition Stout on tap I'm going to try before the show, I can not wait!

Edit 2: Columbus IPA is pretty solid, it has a nice grapefruit bite to it backed by a nice malt base and some tropical flavors coming through hinting at mango and pineapple. From what I've had so far Ohio really makes some good IPAs. I can't wait to go to Barley's Brewing in Columbus on my road trip and try one of theirs.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 23, 2012

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

bartolimu posted:

One of my drinking buddies manages a vet clinic. He's as intimately familiar with cat piss as anyone, and he never gets that smell from hops of any kind. He's something of a hop expert, too. Different people interpret the same aroma molecules differently, I suppose.

I definitely smell it sometimes, but only in beers with lots of Simcoe hops. It's not exactly cat piss either, more like the same aroma that gets described as cat piss or boxwood in sauvignon blanc. I think it's one of those smells that only some people get, like Summit hops tasting and smelling like green onions.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Had a very small budget to work with today and came home with the following:
Stone Russian Imperial Stout (first time I've had it)
Cigar City Maduro Brown Ale
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine 2012
Diamond Knot Imperial IPA (it was cheap, and I needed something hoppy to balance out all the malt-heavy beers I bought)

Was hoping for more of a chocolate/coffee taste with the Stone RIS. Thinking maybe I should have gone with Southern Tier's Mokah or Jahva.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

escape artist posted:

Was hoping for more of a chocolate/coffee taste with the Stone RIS.

I actually think that's the beauty of that beer, it's an imperial stout that's huge without being a java or cocoa bomb. It's the epitome of a "straight" imperial stout taken to extremes.

In other Stone news, if their Smoked Porter with Vanilla Beans tasted as good as it smelled it might be my favorite beer. Jesus drat it's got an amazing nose. I think I keep taking sips hoping that the next one will finally taste like the vanilla I'm smelling, but that hasn't occurred yet. Going to try out the version with Chipotle (low expectations but whatever) tomorrow.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

I actually think that's the beauty of that beer, it's an imperial stout that's huge without being a java or cocoa bomb. It's the epitome of a "straight" imperial stout taken to extremes.

In other Stone news, if their Smoked Porter with Vanilla Beans tasted as good as it smelled it might be my favorite beer. Jesus drat it's got an amazing nose. I think I keep taking sips hoping that the next one will finally taste like the vanilla I'm smelling, but that hasn't occurred yet. Going to try out the version with Chipotle (low expectations but whatever) tomorrow.

I would have tried it when I was at Stone's brewpub yesterday except smoked beer

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
So I went over to a buddies and the four of us had a little sour fest, we all decided to bring some really good poo poo we keep meaning on drinking and it got a little ridiculous.

Avery Dihos Dactylon
Capt Lawrence Rosse e Marron batch 4
Capt Lawrence Cuvee de Castleton batch 3
Lost Abbey Cable Car 2009 !
Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze !
Isabelle Proximus !
Beatification batch 3 !
a bottle of my sour bourbon barrel quad with cherries that was quite good

good times

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I would have tried it when I was at Stone's brewpub yesterday except smoked beer

$2.99 for a 12oz. Give it a whirl, especially with a dessert. A subtle smoke to beer is fine, it's all the times it's abused and a mess that gives the style a bad name. Then again, I'm the type that loves how my clothes smell after sitting around a bonfire so perhaps my views are askew.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

rage-saq posted:

Avery Dihos Dactylon
Capt Lawrence Rosse e Marron batch 4
Capt Lawrence Cuvee de Castleton batch 3
Lost Abbey Cable Car 2009 !
Lost Abbey Duck Duck Gooze !
Isabelle Proximus !
Beatification batch 3 !

after looking at some BA trading threads, all i can think is, "drat, how many King Henrys could they have gotten for that?"

also, does anyone has an opinion to share on prime aging time for Beatification?

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jun 24, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I had a great time at the Prohibition Taproom last night I tried a 2007 Expedition Stout which was good, but I'm not a huge fan of the fig/grape flavor in my stouts. Yes, I knew to expect that in here but I wasn't going to pass up trying it anyway. I also had a 21st Amendment Lower da Boom which is there barleywine and it was a bit cloying towards the end with a lot of caramel and toffee, it was nice to sip but not to drink a lot of.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm in Lake Orion, MI for the weekend and was wondering if anyone knew of any places that sell a lot of good beer. I'm looking to find a few things I can't find in Ohio, maybe something above Ohio's 12% limit.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I'm in Lake Orion, MI for the weekend and was wondering if anyone knew of any places that sell a lot of good beer. I'm looking to find a few things I can't find in Ohio, maybe something above Ohio's 12% limit.

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree. Stuff is awesome.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

Midorka posted:

I had a great time at the Prohibition Taproom last night I tried a 2007 Expedition Stout which was good, but I'm not a huge fan of the fig/grape flavor in my stouts. Yes, I knew to expect that in here but I wasn't going to pass up trying it anyway. I also had a 21st Amendment Lower da Boom which is there barleywine and it was a bit cloying towards the end with a lot of caramel and toffee, it was nice to sip but not to drink a lot of.

Expo stout is one of the only beers I've experienced tons of vintages of, and my take is that it's amazing from fresh to about a year and a half, drops off until five or six and then becomes increasingly port and sherry-like. Those middle years just taste like soy sauce. I've gotten the same awkward stage soy thing from a couple 3 year old bottles of Stone's imperial stout, too.

E: double post, so sorry.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree. Stuff is awesome.

I would be very surprised if this was still available. That said, one of the best DIPAs on the planet.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

danbanana posted:

I would be very surprised if this was still available. That said, one of the best DIPAs on the planet.

I agree. It's phenomenally balanced and drinkable at 13.6%. Also, for what it's worth there is still plenty to be had here in Kalamazoo, it seems like they've upped production on it in the last year.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Expo stout is one of the only beers I've experienced tons of vintages of, and my take is that it's amazing from fresh to about a year and a half, drops off until five or six and then becomes increasingly port and sherry-like. Those middle years just taste like soy sauce. I've gotten the same awkward stage soy thing from a couple 3 year old bottles of Stone's imperial stout, too.

Soy is what happens to every dark beer as it ages. It's interesting some go past that into port/sherry territory, I guess I've never given anything enough time to do so.

There was a Belgian-themed tap fest at my local this weekend. The only think I'd had from Kasteel before was Rouge, which tasted exactly like cherry Sucrets. I tried their Cuvee du Chateau, and it was cherry-like to - but in this case it was very ripe bing cherries. Tons of fruit with some supporting grain flavors and a nice, thick mouthfeel. Much better than Rouge. Both Kasteels have the problem of being way too sweet, though. Seven ounce pours were more than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A 15% ABV (probably English) Barley Wine from Founders? Yes please!