Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Well, after getting a few astronomical quotes I think I've decided to nut up and do the clutch on the WRX myself. I've done clutches in three cars before so I know it's not the worst job in the world but I really was hoping I could get away with having someone else do it.

Is there anything else that I should attend to while the transmission's out? Things that I should replace beyond the stuff in the clutch kit, or things I should make sure to have on hand?

If you're pulling the motor:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t63237-diy-engine-removal.html

If you're dropping the box:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t128163-diy-clutch-replacement-pictorial.html

Granted those are for RS's, but I still wouldn't hesitate do to a wrx job, (my box in my RS is a turbo box). The clutch works a little bit different on the turbos, but those pictorials are still good references to get a game plan. My rally buddies don't even drop the box, they slide it back on the crossmember, not how I'd do it, but whatever.

While you have it out, I'd do clutch, PP, replace or machine flywheel, throwout bearing. If you're doing a gearbox drop, do all the shifter bushings from turn in concepts while it's out.

Have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Machine the flywheel and make sure the clutch kit has a new throwout bearing. Maybe the clutch fork too, some guy in our club had a bent one on his '06 from a bonehead PO clutch job.

Maybe jamal will know - are these snout repair kits bullshit?

You only need them on a push-type clutch- 06+ wrx, Legacy GT, older RS. I have one on my car and it made the clutch much smoother. The 6-speed even has a steel snout that is replaceable so it's really not necessary. He doesn't have to worry about the clutch for either because it's a big chunk of iron vs the stamped steel thing that breaks.

and DON'T pull the motor to do this. it's way more work. The throwout bearing is clipped into the pressure plate, so you have to either reach down there and unclip it with a long flathead screwdriver, or you can just pull the pivot pin out and lift the fork off the TOB.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 22, 2012

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are all your exhaust heat shields firmly attached?

That's something I've not checked. Will do so in the AM. Thanks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

jamal posted:

You only need them on a push-type clutch- 06+ wrx, Legacy GT, older RS. I have one on my car and it made the clutch much smoother. The 6-speed even has a steel snout that is replaceable so it's really not necessary. He doesn't have to worry about the clutch for either because it's a big chunk of iron vs the stamped steel thing that breaks.

and DON'T pull the motor to do this. it's way more work. The throwout bearing is clipped into the pressure plate, so you have to either reach down there and unclip it with a long flathead screwdriver, or you can just pull the pivot pin out and lift the fork off the TOB.

What does this thing do? I have an '07, should I get this?

Is there a better place to get the halfshaft pins than a Subaru dealer?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oh. oops. Someone from here just bought a clutch from me and I thought it was you, so I was giving advice for a different car.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnuj58lFQI

318hp, 276ft-lbs 8300rpm 3.3.

The sound is fantastical. I want it.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I feel like putting in a bigger turbo in my 2005 STi. I've already got a "stage 2" protuned setup and EBCS. I don't want to lose a lot of streetability. You guys have any feelings about the Blouch TD06H-20GXT 8cm^2? Is the FP Green the way to go?

I admittedly don't know a whole lot and I've been talking to my tuner about my needs, but I'm curious to hear what you think.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

What does this thing do? I have an '07, should I get this?

Is there a better place to get the halfshaft pins than a Subaru dealer?

You have an 07 so there are no halfshaft pins. The axles stick into the front diff and are held in place with a cir-clip. So all you do is grab a prybar and pop them out. To keep the axles out of the way I usually remove the ball joints from the uprights and prop the tires out with short pieces of wood.

The snout repair kit SSS mentioned is this thing:

It's handy when the snout of the transmission gets all mangled up:

It's a steel sleeve that slides over and provides a new bearing surface for the TOB (and a new TOB with a slightly larger bore):

I also mentioned un-clipping the TOB, which you don't have to do. Unbolt the transmission and it comes right apart. With the 02-05 wrx and sti you have to release the bearing first.

Things that would be easy to change at the same time are the downpipe because it has to come off anyway and the shifter bushings. The ones in the u-joint linkage are especially tricky when the trans is in the car.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 22, 2012

Terry Bogus
Mar 22, 2004

DRIFT DEL MAR
The check engine light came on last night in my 07 WRX. The error code I got from the reader is P2444. I did some research and it looks like it is related to the air pump valve/sensors. Guys on NASIOC recommend removing it since the only function it serves is to reduce emmissions for about 1-2 minutes on startup. Any of you guys ran into this issue before?

Terry Bogus fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 23, 2012

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

jamal posted:

Ooooh. That's a really bad place to have a boost leak because without pressure to the FPR you don't have enough fuel and run lean and break stuff.

Run a new direct line from the manifold to the FPR and take your boost gauge reading from somewhere else.

Where would you suggest playing the tap in for my boost gauge?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Where would you suggest playing the tap in for my boost gauge?

The line for the BPV is a good spot.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stumbled across this while browsing Etsy and thought of you guys

http://www.etsy.com/listing/98983293/subaru-svx-shaped-soaps-six-bars

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Ok, my 2005 LGT has a boost leak.
The leak isn't bad, about 20 kpa (3 PSI) both on boost and vacuum. It did throw a P0171 code, however, I cleared it and came back
Running very slightly rough on idle.

I'm suspecting the T-junction under the intercooler, however, when that has occurred before I think I had less boost leak, and it never threw a code (That said, I think a leak could cause a P0171). I can't really check until everything cools. Any ideas?

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
Anyone here have a newer Impreza/WRX/STi and roll with the maximum-performance accessory Dual Rear Car Seats? Long story short I'm a stay at home dad, been looking at trucks and SUV's, but don't want to give up my 10+ year dream of having a WRX/STi. How does the car seat situation work? Is the car simply too small and make you claustrophobic with two car seats in the back?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The legacy is bigger if you want to rock the LGT.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Speaking of Legacy GT's, my 05' Aut bone stock with abut 68K miles is piston slapping most mornings, it never lasts more than 3 second, it never happens again, but it worries me, so I have a few questions:

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

I'm using Motul Xcess Full syntech 5w-40, should I keep it?

Will this eventually mess with reliability? Tbh this is the most reliable car I've had, (previous: Legacy B4 RSK, Lancia Delta HF, Civic Si, Type R Integra, Audi A4, Passat 1.8t)

Thanks!

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Also, Idle used to be smoother than my brother's Lexus and now it feels a bit rougher than before, MPG's dropped from 16-17 MPG to about 13-12 MPG. The car sees normal driving with some spirited runs every now and then.

Never taken it to a track, never will be...

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

Sockington posted:

The legacy is bigger if you want to rock the LGT.

I thought about that, wish it had more power though.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

War Bunny posted:

I thought about that, wish it had more power though.

Legacy GT having more power? :confused:

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

...Yes. Or is the 260 hp sufficient for it? I've never had much interest in them, so I don't know a whole lot about the car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

War Bunny posted:

...Yes. Or is the 260 hp sufficient for it? I've never had much interest in them, so I don't know a whole lot about the car.

An 05 lgt is lighter than any sti sold in the US. Don't let size trick you.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

War Bunny posted:

Anyone here have a newer Impreza/WRX/STi and roll with the maximum-performance accessory Dual Rear Car Seats? Long story short I'm a stay at home dad, been looking at trucks and SUV's, but don't want to give up my 10+ year dream of having a WRX/STi. How does the car seat situation work? Is the car simply too small and make you claustrophobic with two car seats in the back?

In my '05 STi there is plenty of room for a booster seat and a forward-facing car seat with two adults in the front. I don't know hw cramped rear-facing seats would be, but it's probably still workable.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

nm posted:

An 05 lgt is lighter than any sti sold in the US. Don't let size trick you.

Wow, apparently the new ones are barely heavier than the wrx, too. (been reading since I saw your post) Had no idea the LGT was so svelte. ;-*

Imperador do Brasil posted:

In my '05 STi there is plenty of room for a booster seat and a forward-facing car seat with two adults in the front. I don't know hw cramped rear-facing seats would be, but it's probably still workable.

Yeah, the rear-facing seats are the real pigs, but at least they don't have to sit like that for too long.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^^^^
Subaru knows how to make a light car.

nm posted:

Ok, my 2005 LGT has a boost leak.
The leak isn't bad, about 20 kpa (3 PSI) both on boost and vacuum. It did throw a P0171 code, however, I cleared it and came back
Running very slightly rough on idle.

I'm suspecting the T-junction under the intercooler, however, when that has occurred before I think I had less boost leak, and it never threw a code (That said, I think a leak could cause a P0171). I can't really check until everything cools. Any ideas?
Loose screw on the BPV/Intercooler junction.

IC threads are stripped. gently caress my life.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

nm posted:

It took them some time. The 4th gen legacy is actually lighter than the 3rd gen. My legacy sedan according to cars101 weights in at 3450ish. It's a boat. It's also slow as hell with a 2.5L NA and a 4eat auto stuck in 3rd gear.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Slow is Fast posted:

It took them some time. The 4th gen legacy is actually lighter than the 3rd gen. My legacy sedan according to cars101 weights in at 3450ish. It's a boat. It's also slow as hell with a 2.5L NA and a 4eat auto stuck in 3rd gear.

would you like to buy an automatic transmission from a 98 RS?

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

War Bunny posted:

I roll with the single rear car seat mod in my 08 STI and it works great. It is a bit cramped with a rear facing seat since you have to move the front seat up a bit but since we've gone front facing it's been no problem at all. My son loves riding in it too and whenever he has a choice always wants to ride in "dada's car" so he can instruct me to "go go go" when we get on the freeway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

nm posted:

^^^^^^^^^^

Loose screw on the BPV/Intercooler junction.

IC threads are stripped. gently caress my life.

That's not too big of a deal. $20 helicoil kit and it's fixed. M8x1.25.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 24, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The post-MAF intake hose on my '97 Impreza is starting to crack under the hose clamp from being old and rubber. I'm guessing it will be a pretty pricey part from the dealer/SGP and hard to find in good condition at the junkyard.

There's no leak yet but eventually there probably will be one - is there some kind of jb weld or similar epoxy that can be used on these hoses or am I stuck with looking for a new one once it leaks?

Maybe I can fabricate my own with those silicone IC pipes that I see kicking around on eBay.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 24, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^^^
Mine was like $200 for a silicone hose for the intake hose. I really need to start making automotive hoses, because that poo poo couldn't have cost more than $5 to make.

The post MAF one is like $70, but if that is dead the intake one likely is too.

jamal posted:

That's not too big of a deal. $20 helicoil kit and it's fixed. M8x1.25.

Yeah, just a pain in my rear end.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 24, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Exedy OEM-level clutch kit
Downpipe gasket
Donut gasket
Group N transmission mount
Kartboy pitch stop, shifter bushings, and transmission mount bushings
Clutch fork boot
New flywheel bolts

Sound good?

I might also do my air pump delete while I'm in there. We'll see...

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

Lazor posted:

I roll with the single rear car seat mod in my 08 STI and it works great. It is a bit cramped with a rear facing seat since you have to move the front seat up a bit but since we've gone front facing it's been no problem at all. My son loves riding in it too and whenever he has a choice always wants to ride in "dada's car" so he can instruct me to "go go go" when we get on the freeway.

That's awesome. Reminds me of this video. My wife is pressing me to get a new (bigger) car, but if I only get one car, I want it to be one I really like to drive. She's one of those "Cars Are An Applicance" people, so she doesn't understand my fetish.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Lazor posted:

Both my kids love fast cars, and when my 3-year-old is in the car (whether the STi or the G8) and I gun it onto the highway, he giggles like a crazy person and says that I'm "going faster".

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

War Bunny posted:

That's awesome. Reminds me of this video. My wife is pressing me to get a new (bigger) car, but if I only get one car, I want it to be one I really like to drive. She's one of those "Cars Are An Applicance" people, so she doesn't understand my fetish.

For any auto enthusiast that can only have one car the STI is the perfect choice. I use mine for autocross, rallycross, mountain road runs, commuting, and carrying the family around. It's not the best on gas but it's safe, comfortable, and roomy. I fit my wife and I, our two dogs, and my son plus our stuff for a weekend trip all in the car with no problem. If you need more space for stuff, it's a Subaru, throw a roof box on it!

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Just bought my boss's '02 WRX. My other car is a Geo Prizm, and I suppose I was one of those "cars are appliances" people. I didn't know how to drive a stick an hour ago. I just learned in a parking lot (that had some convenient hills) and then drove it back to the office. I can't think about anything but driving it now, so the rest of my day is shot.

Edit: Here is a picture of the car

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 26, 2012

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Congrats, great choice and you're going to love driving a manual

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

babies havin rabies posted:

Just bought my boss's '02 WRX. My other car is a Geo Prizm, and I suppose I was one of those "cars are appliances" people. I didn't know how to drive a stick an hour ago. I just learned in a parking lot (that had some convenient hills) and then drove it back to the office. I can't think about anything but driving it now, so the rest of my day is shot.
Yeah, you just stepped up from breakfast cereal to methamphetamine. You'll be doing autocross within the year. :)

Welcome to the cult!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Lazor posted:

For any auto enthusiast that can only have one car the STI is the perfect choice. I use mine for autocross, rallycross, mountain road runs, commuting, and carrying the family around. It's not the best on gas but it's safe, comfortable, and roomy. I fit my wife and I, our two dogs, and my son plus our stuff for a weekend trip all in the car with no problem. If you need more space for stuff, it's a Subaru, throw a roof box on it!

What kind of fuel economy do you see in your STi? I normally get about 24mpg mixed, and this weekend I put 300 miles on it mostly highway with 2 other dudes and my son in the car, with the a/c blasting, and I got 26mpg.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Dang, I barely get 26mpg hwy in my WRX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

So any idea why I'm hitting 14 MPG on a bone stock automatic Legacy GT 05? :(