Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
If only. With the custody thing, we're not allowed to know where my mother and little sister are living. Which means I can't just grab the dog and haul him off to get snipped. Are there low cost vets like that in Alberta? At least I could have the info available.
And I know she shouldn't be responsible for him, but my mother's not exactly known for her brilliant choices. He's a bribe, plain and simple. It's many levels of screwed up. E/N too? :sigh: This is hopeless, isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:sigh: Poor Balen. His face is puffy on one side and his ears are kinda puffy. It's not enough to make him get up and shake them, but when he's up he has shaken them a bit. They aren't really hot to the touch, just warmer than they should be. He's not having trouble breathing/eating/being Balen so the E-vet basically said to just watch him and take him to his normal vet tomorrow morning if the swelling hasn't gone down.

I think he may have met a stinging something or other, since he started shaking his head about after he came back inside from trotting around the side of the house. You were out of my sight for all of a minute, fuzzy! You poor doggie.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Canadian Bakin posted:

If only. With the custody thing, we're not allowed to know where my mother and little sister are living. Which means I can't just grab the dog and haul him off to get snipped. Are there low cost vets like that in Alberta? At least I could have the info available.
And I know she shouldn't be responsible for him, but my mother's not exactly known for her brilliant choices. He's a bribe, plain and simple. It's many levels of screwed up. E/N too? :sigh: This is hopeless, isn't it.

Wow. There is absolutely nothing good about that situation, I'm sorry for both you and the dog. Best you can do is google your zip code/city and "low cost neuter clinic" and send that info their way. I'd personally be inclined to just wash my hands of the situation and try to ignore it once you do that. Sometimes there's nothing you can do to change someone's mind, especially a parent. :(

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Those are some derfy looking goldens, Animal Planet.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I've never seen a not-derfy Golden :allears: They're just so happy!

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Bear Rape posted:

Those are some derfy looking goldens, Animal Planet.

Is it just me or are they labs?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Yeah, I am pretty sure those are labs. Or maybe shaved goldens.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

To be fair, a yellow lab is closer looking to a golden than a lot of their breed mix ups.

They label this a Finnish Spitz in their breed selector thing:

This is what a Finnish Spitz actually looks like:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

What kind of dog is the first one? :psyduck: Just some sort of shepherd mix?

I was using the breed selector thing as well, the labs showed up in the sidebar. Welp.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

To be fair, a yellow lab is closer looking to a golden than a lot of their breed mix ups.

They label this a Finnish Spitz in their breed selector thing:

This is what a Finnish Spitz actually looks like:

Someone put this Pom's paw in a socket:

UNDERCOAT! FOREVER UNDERCOAT! Guard hairs? What are guard hairs?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

This picture of a "beauceron" was in their dogs 101 episode about briards.

This is what a beauceron actually looks like:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Oh my god is that a foxhound? :lol: The other little misidentifications are kind of "Okay I can see how you'd make that mistake" but seriously what the hell Animal Planet

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Hahaha oh Animal Planet. Why is it that 'Its Me or the Dog' and the catlady version are the only two good things on your network?

Just yesterday I watched a show that seemed to be entirely about watching BYB'd litters of animals grow up. With cutesy narration of course.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 25, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Captain Foxy posted:

Someone put this Pom's paw in a socket:

UNDERCOAT! FOREVER UNDERCOAT! Guard hairs? What are guard hairs?

Shaved Pom? Looks terribad!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

a life less posted:

Shaved Pom? Looks terribad!

Naw, that's a show dog someone clipped all the guard hairs off for some reason, probably to make it look like it has more full framing than it actually has. Its fur looks like it's exploding from its body, BUT OMG LOOK AT HOW FLUFFY

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
This is their picture for a Clumber. This dog is "ready for a day in the field!".

:saddowns:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Hahaha oh Animal Planet. Why is it that 'Its Me or the Dog' and the catlady version are the only two good things on your network?

:smith: Once upon a time, it wasn't quite so bad.

Balen got shot up with benadryl and prednisone at the vet. She couldn't find an actual bite (I found a potential one later near his eye and she agreed it looked like a bite) so.. the working idea is a bit of a tale. Balen loves butter. If I leave a stick out on the counter, he will eat it. We're talking wrapper and all. I threw away a butter wrapper yesterday and was gone like 7 hours. Husband was here, but he apparently didn't notice someone reach into the trash can and sneak the butter wrapper out. I thought I'd buried it enough that none of the dogs would go for it. Apparently I was wrong.

Right before we left to go see Brave yesterday, husband notices that it's on the floor just covered with red ants. He icks, throws it in the trash then chucks the trash outside in a bin. When we got back from the movie (shortly after) I noticed the puffiness on his ears/face. I'm thinking he went over, smelled butter on the butter wrapper and licked up a whole bunch of ants. The vet said it was very much likely either a scorpion or ants and that she wouldn't doubt the butter wrapper being the cause.

So now all butter wrappers get to be put in a ziploc baggie before they're tossed. :doh:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Invalid Octopus posted:

This is their picture for a Clumber. This dog is "ready for a day in the field!".

A field of hot dogs.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Captain Foxy posted:

Just yesterday I watched a show that seemed to be entirely about watching BYB'd litters of animals grow up. With cutesy narration of course.

Watch "My Cat From Hell". Every show consists of them trying (and failing) to make a housecat look menacing and amazing cat behavioral insight conversations along the lines of: "My cat attacks me when I poke it like this" "Then don't poke it like that".

On the episodes I've seen the actual advice dispensed is shockingly pretty good for an animal planet show and directed more toward teaching the owners how to be good cat servants and mindful of their cat's emotional and physical needs. And to stop poking them.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fluffy Bunnies - Have you considered a trash can with a locking lid? We found one that has a foot pedal to open it, but it also has a sliding mechanism to prevent it from being opened.

This is the model we found.

When we're around to keep an eye on Husker I leave it unlocked, but I lock it before going to bed or leaving the house.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Fluffy Bunnies - Have you considered a trash can with a locking lid? We found one that has a foot pedal to open it, but it also has a sliding mechanism to prevent it from being opened.

This is the model we found.

When we're around to keep an eye on Husker I leave it unlocked, but I lock it before going to bed or leaving the house.

Hell, we have one with a swing lid and I thought it'd keep Amy out of it because she hates things that swing in and bump her nose when it comes back. Apparently it is not working. That is.. quite brilliant and I'll be looking into that. Thanks Razorbunny

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Okay, are we sure this isn't some animal-based take-off of Look Around You?

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

lmao they think this is a glen of imaal

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

American Pit Bull Terrier:

"Breed not found. Please try again."

I can have an Amstaff if I want though. Let's see:

Animal Planet posted:

The American Staffordshire terrier and the Staffordshire bull terrier descended from the same lines. The prototype originally sprang from crossing the old type of bulldog with some old terrier types, probably the English sooth terrier. The result was aptly called the "bull and terrier," later to be dubbed the Staffordshire bull terrier. The dogs gained fame among fanciers of dog fighting, a popular sport despite its having been declared illegal. Their fighting ability gained them passage to America in the late 1800s, where they dominated the fighting "pits." Here they became known as the pit bull terrier, American bull terrier and even Yankee terrier. Americans favored a slightly bigger dog than the English preferred, and with time the two strains diverged. In 1936, the AKC recognized the breed as the Staffordshire terrier (the name was changed in 1972 to American Staffordshire terrier). Docility and tractability have always been vital traits in a powerful dog that must be handled even in the midst of a dog fight; therefore, the Am Staff evolved to have a sweet and trustworthy disposition around people. Unfortunately, this game dog has too often appealed to people seeking it for its fighting rather than its loving abilities.

:negative:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

"Tibetan Mastiff"

That "glen of imaal" looks like some poodle mutt.

Anyway when I hear Tibetan Mastiff, it's not that awful looking thing up there that I think of.

The dog and black and tan pup are more what I think. I'm not fond of the black pup's face.

E:

Most accurate picture yet.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 25, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Watch "My Cat From Hell". Every show consists of them trying (and failing) to make a housecat look menacing and amazing cat behavioral insight conversations along the lines of: "My cat attacks me when I poke it like this" "Then don't poke it like that".

On the episodes I've seen the actual advice dispensed is shockingly pretty good for an animal planet show and directed more toward teaching the owners how to be good cat servants and mindful of their cat's emotional and physical needs. And to stop poking them.

Yeah I love that show, it's what I meant by the 'catlady version' of IMOTD. ;)

Jackson Galaxy looks like he probably owns a fursuit, though.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Captain Foxy posted:

Yeah I love that show, it's what I meant by the 'catlady version' of IMOTD. ;)

Jackson Galaxy looks like he probably owns a fursuit, though.

And cover up his cattoos? NEVER. He probably never wears anything with sleeves ever so he can constantly show off those fancy tats.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The dog and black and tan pup are more what I think. I'm not fond of the black pup's face.
Is the black pup a Newfie?

edit: oh my god oh my god oh my god

quote:

The American Staffordshire terrier and the Staffordshire bull terrier descended from the same lines. The prototype originally sprang from crossing the old type of bulldog with some old terrier types, probably the English sooth terrier. The result was aptly called the "bull and terrier," later to be dubbed the Staffordshire bull terrier. The dogs gained fame among fanciers of dog fighting, a popular sport despite its having been declared illegal. Their fighting ability gained them passage to America in the late 1800s, where they dominated the fighting "pits." Here they became known as the pit bull terrier, American bull terrier and even Yankee terrier. Americans favored a slightly bigger dog than the English preferred, and with time the two strains diverged. In 1936, the AKC recognized the breed as the Staffordshire terrier (the name was changed in 1972 to American Staffordshire terrier). Docility and tractability have always been vital traits in a powerful dog that must be handled even in the midst of a dog fight; therefore, the Am Staff evolved to have a sweet and trustworthy disposition around people. Unfortunately, this game dog has too often appealed to people seeking it for its fighting rather than its loving abilities.
All time it was the noble Amstaff who came first. I'd love to know how they bred the blue out of them. :allears:

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 25, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

He's loving adorable, in all seriousness. Who doesn't love a big burly dude covered in tattoos (granted, they are of gay cats) who loves a kitty? Especially if he really really loves a kitty.

His ideas about cat shelving around the entire room of a house, daily playtime routines and 'don't pick the cat up if it does that' are stupidly simple, yet no one seems to put them in effect because hurr it's a cat it just lays around hurr. I hope the show gets as popular as Victoria's.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My boss was having trouble with one of his cats being a huge pest in his home office. Then he got stuck inside during a really nasty day on vacation and watched a marathon of that show. He went home and made an up-high cat-nest for his cat and has been significantly less pestered. Turns out the cat just wanted to be able to see what he was doing and if the cat could do it while flopped in a bed on top of some shelves that's even better.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Captain Foxy posted:

He's loving adorable, in all seriousness. Who doesn't love a big burly dude covered in tattoos (granted, they are of gay cats) who loves a kitty? Especially if he really really loves a kitty.

His ideas about cat shelving around the entire room of a house, daily playtime routines and 'don't pick the cat up if it does that' are stupidly simple, yet no one seems to put them in effect because hurr it's a cat it just lays around hurr. I hope the show gets as popular as Victoria's.

I love that show and I don't even have or want cats.

So many episodes have idiots who manhandle their cats and then are shocked when they get mauled. If you want your cat in a specific room, put food in that room. There is no reason to put on full protective gear to wrangle a cat when you can convince them to go somewhere without touching them at all. I can't imagine doing something that gets me clawed to hell every day and not taking the 10 minutes to think of a better way to do it.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

After having lived with a Sphynx, I can personally attest that if you don't have cat shelving all the way around a room, then you really didn't like having nicknacks and heirloom objects in that room.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Captain Foxy posted:

After having lived with a Sphynx, I can personally attest that if you don't have cat shelving all the way around a room, then you really didn't like having nicknacks and heirloom objects in that room.

On the other hand, if I had a Sphynx, I'd be smacking it's hairless flesh all day everyday, and cat shelving would not be necessary.

That video of Hex being smacked and enjoying it makes me so jealous. :kimchi:

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
This morning, I opened the bathroom door and, right as I opened it, Molly had jumped up on the counter. She demanded I pet her, so I did. Then she started licking the condensation off the mirror. So I go in my room, finish getting ready for work, and walk to the door to leave. As I get to the door, she insists on following behind me and, when I'm near the arm of the couch, she does this:

She purrs very loudly at this point, which is rare for her. And she acts as if it is the worst thing ever that I leave for work. :3 I just had to have a picture.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

On the other hand, if I had a Sphynx, I'd be smacking it's hairless flesh all day everyday, and cat shelving would not be necessary.

That video of Hex being smacked and enjoying it makes me so jealous. :kimchi:

I really miss smacking the poo poo out of Charlie. The new cats don't like to be thumped on like he did. They'll enjoy a few hard pats here and there, especially on the rump, but it's not the same. Charlie wanted you to beat on him, until your hands stung and both you and he were out of breath. It was the wildest thing, and he loved it so much.

I wish I had a video :(

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

I really miss smacking the poo poo out of Charlie. The new cats don't like to be thumped on like he did. They'll enjoy a few hard pats here and there, especially on the rump, but it's not the same. Charlie wanted you to beat on him, until your hands stung and both you and he were out of breath. It was the wildest thing, and he loved it so much.

My old cat Jimmy was weird kind of like that. He loved having someone grab a handful of his old-man belly+fur, and just shake it back and forth, and roll him back and forth on his back by it. He purred so loud when I did that.

Cattes are weird.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

RazorBunny posted:

My dog likes being slapped on the rump (like right before his tail) and then scratched. He makes these derpy faces and then he stares at me when I stop.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

wtftastic posted:

My dog likes being slapped on the rump (like right before his tail) and then scratched. He makes these derpy faces and then he stares at me when I stop.

Husker enjoys that too, though not if it's very hard (he has sensitive skin). What Charlie enjoyed was being hit AS HARD AS POSSIBLE, and he would get visibly frustrated when I did it because I wasn't as strong as my husband. If my husband slapped me as hard as he used to slap that cat, I would call the cops.

Leela enjoys being pressed. Like, a petting motion, but with a strong downward pressure. It's like squeezing the last bit of toothpaste out of a giant cat-shaped tube.

Nibbler just likes to bite people.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Captain Foxy posted:

It's called Too Cute, and that's exactly what it is, and it is painful to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Azrael Alexander posted:

Is the black pup a Newfie?

edit: oh my god oh my god oh my god

All time it was the noble Amstaff who came first. I'd love to know how they bred the blue out of them. :allears:

At....at least they made a point to explain that breed has and should always be perfectly gentle and safe to handle for humans.....that's....something....right?

• Locked thread