Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Rastor posted:

I haven't heard of any with IR built in, but the Irdroid module ought to work with any of them.

Well, both Xyboards and the Galaxy Tab 2 both have physical IR blasters, but I'm not sure they can be used with anything but their pre-installed remote apps.

\/\/ Very true.

GonadTheBallbarian fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Right, but he was requesting a Tegra 3 processor.

Bonxai
May 2, 2011
The TF700 might actually be coming out soon, Best Buy has a page for its dock up already: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Keyboard+Docking+Station+-+Champagne+Gold/5495634.p?id=1218655168730&skuId=5495634

They also have the TF300 available in White, looks like 32GB only though: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Tablet+with+32GB+Memory+-+White/5432045.p?id=1218646128738&skuId=5432045

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

Are there any Tegra 3 tabs that have an IR port out now or due out in the near future? I do a lot of electronic repair work on the side and sometimes I need an IR remote to access various settings/menus, etc. I'm looking to upgrade my tablet and it would be super if I could also retire the ancient PDA that I keep around for this purpose, too.

Keep an eye on Vizio. They include IR emitters in their tablets. One may be on the way.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Anyone else have a problem with their TF300 not updating? There have been two firmware updates since I bought mine and I always have to manually download them from XDA or Asus support site.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Kynetx posted:

Keep an eye on Vizio. They include IR emitters in their tablets. One may be on the way.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for Vizio tablet announcements.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

New Google Nexus 7 (rumored tablet) news.

http://omgdroid.com/google-nexus-tablet-info-leaking-down-under/

Apparently, some news leaked from Australia's Gizmodo.

7-inch 1280×800 IPS Display
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (not confirmed to be 5.0 just yet)
1.3GHz Quad-Core Tegra 3 CPU
NVIDIA GPU
1GB RAM
8GB / 16GB Internal Storage
1.2MP Front Camera
8 Hours Battery Life
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC

Those are the rumored specs.

It'll apparently start first selling in Australia in July.

(Edit: There's also a mock pic up on the link too.)

(Edit 2: Very interesting rumor, this is straight from Gizmodo Australia:

quote:

The leaked document also says that the device will be the first to run Jelly Bean, the new version of Android. Details are scarce on Jelly Bean, but the slides tell us that Google will handle operating system updates from now on, which could address the fragmentation problem. We aren’t sure if this statement means that Google will handle all handset updates from Jelly Bean onwards, or if it just means it will handle it for the Nexus 7 going forward. Based on the various arrangements with other manufacturers and telcos around the world, it’s likely to be the latter. We’ll know more come Google I/O.

I agree that it's most likely the latter...but what if it IS the former in some odd way?)

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 25, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's no loving way Google can handle updates for every device made going forward.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Endless Mike posted:

There's no loving way Google can handle updates for every device made going forward.
Maybe there are some standards with Jellybean. By standards I don't mean something as strict as Windows Phone, but standards like Windows desktop/laptop.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Merkinman posted:

Maybe there are some standards with Jellybean. By standards I don't mean something as strict as Windows Phone, but standards like Windows desktop/laptop.

Standards don't mean much if there is no way to impose them. Remember the 18 month commitment.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's certainly just meaning that Google will handle all of the updates for that specific device, to distinguish from the Galaxy Nexus where Google handles updates for some of them but Samsung does the updates on others.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Don Lapre posted:

Standards don't mean much if there is no way to impose them. Remember the 18 month commitment.
"Do this or no access to the Google Play Store (and/or any Google made app) for you. Enjoy making an entire 3rd party market where everyone has to resubmit apps like Amazon."

I'm not saying it would happen though. I still believe the blurb about the tablet is what we're all saying. That it, unlike other tablets, will get updates from Google.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It could mean that Google split a lot more core OS functionality out into Play store apps (or some new update mechanism).

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

It could mean that Google split a lot more core OS functionality out into Play store apps (or some new update mechanism).

I think this is the easiest solution. Couple this with making the ui more themeable/extensible so sense/touchwiz/whatever don't do things that an os upgrade would break.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Zombie Rasputin posted:

I think this is the easiest solution. Couple this with making the ui more themeable/extensible so sense/touchwiz/whatever don't do things that an os upgrade would break.

This would be amazing. It sounds pretty reasonable to me that they could go this route, but I don't know if ICS -> JB was a long enough time period to do something like that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Guys Google isn't going to take over handling all Android system updates for all devices, it's just not going to happen.

How about some 1080p Android tablet chat? The ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity (TF700) will be arriving the week of July 16 for $499/32GB and $599/64GB. Here's some reviews:

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/25/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-review/
http://www.androidcentral.com/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-review-tf700
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6036/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700t-review

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

If that Nexus tablet has an SD slot I'll definitely replace my Fire. Looking forward to more info on Wednesday.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Syrinxx posted:

If that Nexus tablet has an SD slot I'll definitely replace my Fire. Looking forward to more info on Wednesday.
It's unlikely that Nexus devices from here on out are going to have removable storage.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'm really hoping it'll have Bluetooth (so I can sync a controller and play emulators on it at work) and an IR blaster (because that would help make it slightly more than a fancy new tech toy).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rastor posted:

How about some 1080p Android tablet chat? The ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity (TF700) will be arriving the week of July 16 for $499/32GB and $599/64GB. Here's some reviews:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6036/asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700t-review
It's somewhat concerning that Anand's review boils down to "they finally got the Transformer hardware right, but Android still leaves something to be desired as a tablet/convertible OS. You might want to wait for the Windows 8 version of this exact same hardware."

I hope Jelly Bean is impressive at IO this week.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Merkinman posted:

"Do this or no access to the Google Play Store (and/or any Google made app) for you. Enjoy making an entire 3rd party market where everyone has to resubmit apps like Amazon."

I'm not saying it would happen though. I still believe the blurb about the tablet is what we're all saying. That it, unlike other tablets, will get updates from Google.

This has stopped no-one yet, archos for example are pumping out craplets with every os from 2.3 to 4.0 with their own app stores & no sign of slowing.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

It's unlikely that Nexus devices from here on out are going to have removable storage.

Why bother with android then if it won't have expandable storage? That is one of the major positives of android tablets. I'm not stuck paying 700 dollars for 64GB of storage, and can double that relatively cheaply, and remove/transfer that storage whenever I want.

That's pretty much a deal killer for me, no removable storage.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

Why bother with android then if it won't have expandable storage?

Because the system as a whole is better that way.

Also ask any developer that has had random functionality disappear on device reboot when the app is moved to SD.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Hamelekim posted:

Why bother with android then if it won't have expandable storage? That is one of the major positives of android tablets. I'm not stuck paying 700 dollars for 64GB of storage, and can double that relatively cheaply, and remove/transfer that storage whenever I want.

There's still Surface!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hamelekim posted:

That's what I'm thinking too. 8GB on my Kindle Fire is extremely restrictive and there's really no reason to consider replacing it if the Nexus tablet won't have a way for me to put my own storage in.

And Google wants to pull an Apple and charge $50 for another 8GB of flash? No thanks.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Maybe they're moving towards the Apple model?

...which, as I understand it, is where the core cellular radio functions are kept far, far away from the rest of the on-device OS. Meaning the latter isn't affected by any alteration to the former, thus making this model acceptable to the network carriers.

(hold on, isn't that how the unbranded Nexus devices are updated anyway?)

Syrinxx posted:

That's what I'm thinking too. 8GB on my Kindle Fire is extremely restrictive and there's really no reason to consider replacing it if the Nexus tablet won't have a way for me to put my own storage in.

And Google wants to pull an Apple and charge $50 for another 8GB of flash? No thanks.

I suppose there's always the option of plugging in a USB-OTG SD card reader?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

All the more reason to have your stuff in *~the cloud~*

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

Which is becoming more difficult with capped data plans.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Merkinman posted:

Until carriers gently caress you over with tiered data plans.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Zombie Rasputin posted:

Because the system as a whole is better that way.

Also ask any developer that has had random functionality disappear on device reboot when the app is moved to SD.
Yes, especially on the second point. And there would be a lot less whining and gnashing of teeth about it if there was better MTP support across all platforms, or if Google's MTP transfer tool wasn't a total mulligan.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Which is becoming more difficult with capped data plans.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Until carriers gently caress you over with tiered data plans.
But this is the tablet thread and the Nexus tablet supposedly is wi-fi only. Unless of course you're referring to non-mobile data plans, which I'm not sure about.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Got an app request... kinda.

I'm currently using a combination of Evernote and Dropbox because Evernote's attachment handling is poo poo and I need offline access to everything. I've also had troubles with syncing, to the point that changes won't sync or are overwritten by old data.

All I really use it for is the RTF edit when I'm out in the field. I'm curious if there is a an app to handle RTF documents or if there is a way to store everything locally and have Dropbox handle syncing, so changes at my office machine will be saved to Dropbox where I can later open those same files with my tablet using the Evernote client.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Google Docs/Drive don't cut it?

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

Kynetx posted:

Got an app request... kinda.

I'm currently using a combination of Evernote and Dropbox because Evernote's attachment handling is poo poo and I need offline access to everything. I've also had troubles with syncing, to the point that changes won't sync or are overwritten by old data.

All I really use it for is the RTF edit when I'm out in the field. I'm curious if there is a an app to handle RTF documents or if there is a way to store everything locally and have Dropbox handle syncing, so changes at my office machine will be saved to Dropbox where I can later open those same files with my tablet using the Evernote client.

What about FolderSync? I don't use it for syncing docs or anything other shows i DVR from my tuner on my media-pc, but i do know that it has dropbox capabilities, and for what i use it for it works pretty good.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Google Drive + BoxCrypt is a winning combination. Plus, both will work on android.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm happy with Dropbox, it's Evernote that pisses me off. "Offline folders" only syncs the contents of a note, it won't sync the attachments. I called support about it and they turned it into a feature request. I don't see how I could be the first one to bitch about this.

Regarding the Google Docs idea, maybe the sync is more robust, but I'm mostly looking to drop an RTF (Rich Text Format(WordPad)) into a folder that syncs with dropbox. I keep a separate folder for each of my current projects and I'd be just as well served by an RTF file as with Evernote.

Sigh, somehow I always find a way to be an edge case with technology.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Kynetx posted:

I'm happy with Dropbox, it's Evernote that pisses me off. "Offline folders" only syncs the contents of a note, it won't sync the attachments. I called support about it and they turned it into a feature request. I don't see how I could be the first one to bitch about this.

Regarding the Google Docs idea, maybe the sync is more robust, but I'm mostly looking to drop an RTF (Rich Text Format(WordPad)) into a folder that syncs with dropbox. I keep a separate folder for each of my current projects and I'd be just as well served by an RTF file as with Evernote.

Sigh, somehow I always find a way to be an edge case with technology.

Maybe I'm missing something, but does Dropbox itself not already handle your use case? Just drop the RTF files in your Dropbox sync folder on your office machine, and then sync them to your android.

If it's just that you're looking for a way to sync files outside of the normal Dropbox sync folder on your PC, google for some tutorials about using symlinks to sync other folders to Dropbox.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Really? No one's talking about the Nexus 7 infodump we got today?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/3120884/google-nexus-7-first-image-leak

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

They're talking about the new Nexus tablet RIGHT NOW.

https://developers.google.com/events/io/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Really? No one's talking about the Nexus 7 infodump we got today?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/3120884/google-nexus-7-first-image-leak

I'm stoked, we're talking about it in the phone thread for some reason.