Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I spent most of my time in World of Warcraft trying to find new and more interesting things to kite to cities.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4665546844723193412

I didn't shoot this video but this was the first thing I realized I could kite and cause some damage with. I eventually discovered Teremus in Blasted Lands and had loads of fun with him. Eventually I started taking felguards and dragon packs to the cities.

Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

KildarX posted:

:gonk: What the hell does the Idiot King get to do and why would anyone let alone at least five people apply for it.

From what I gather, at least, the Idiot King gets full moderator privileges in FYAD for a single day. It's about as sound an idea as you think it is.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Years ago Lowtax paid a dude in BYOB fifty Amazon funbux to suck his own D

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Category Fun! posted:

For games like Trouble in Terrorist Town, players are supposed to "roleplay" instead of just randomly killing other players. RDMing means Random DeathMatching.

You're not actually supposed to roleplay in TTT. The goal is to kill the other team, and nothing else. It's just that the community is terrible, and will froth with rage if they get killed, so they invent rules that let them ban people who kill them.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
[quote="Red Mundus" post="""]
I feel so sorry for the person who has to work support desk for WoW. It would be like an air-traffic controller but instead of planes, it's shitheads.
[/quote]

This just made me laugh uncontrollably for a couple of minutes. The mental picture I get of ATC's directing shithead golf-zero-niner back to his mom's basement was pretty funny.

For content, I have been banned from multi-player HALO: Reach at my own house. My 13 yr. old and my 10 yr. old nephews were not fond of me driving the warthogs off of cliffs when I got the chance to drive. Low effort, but still fun.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DerekSmartymans posted:

For content, I have been banned from multi-player HALO: Reach at my own house. My 13 yr. old and my 10 yr. old nephews were not fond of me driving the warthogs off of cliffs when I got the chance to drive. Low effort, but still fun.

At the risk of another "griefing with children" derail, I am totally filing this away in my "stuff to do as an uncle" cabinet.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think when it's your own relatives, it doesn't really fall under griefing unless you're trying to make them seriously mad. It's just messing around with family.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I plan to do this, and I plan to make them seriously mad. Children should learn at a young age how silly it is to get mad at video games so that they can then move on and come to love the joys of griefing.

I would consider myself a bad parent/uncle/role-model if I did not teach children how to properly grief.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Blind Sally posted:

Children should learn at a young age how silly it is to get mad at video games so that they can then move on and come to love the joys of griefing.

Or they can learn that video games aren't fun and then decide to never play them. :ssh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We can only hope. :unsmith:

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
If I griefed someone any age into never playing again I would be ecstatic for like a full year.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SynthOrange posted:

We can only hope. :unsmith:

Yeah, that would be an anti-grief or something, like some Boy Named Sue poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I also don't think it counts as griefing when you're physically there and if you become too much of a malicious twat people can just slug you. Part of causing grief is the victim's inability to do anything to retaliate. When you're right there, there's always the option of punching your lights out.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I also don't think it counts as griefing when you're physically there and if you become too much of a malicious twat people can just slug you. Part of causing grief is the victim's inability to do anything to retaliate. When you're right there, there's always the option of punching your lights out.

The best IRL griefers are the Westboro Baptists.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The goons in Star Trek Online have been very active recently in griefing the poo poo out of people.

You see, Star Trek Online is a game that attracts the best kind of roleplay possible. These erotic roleplayers live out their sexual captain fantasies in space, including wonderful things like bridge RP (everyone gets on the bridge of a ship and pretends to do their thing, like being an engineer or whatever.)

Naturally, goons constantly raid these RP hangouts for laughs.

Last night, we managed to get ourselves named the subject of a MAJOR CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION. Here's the crosspost from the STO thread.

-----

The goon special ops division was doing the usual hang-out-at-Drozana (THE roleplaying hangout in Star Trek Online) spiel when we ran into someone named Gunney@gunnerland who was roleplaying a bartender. That means he stands behind the bar and pretends to serve other roleplayers drinks.

Naturally, one of us logged in to his fat naked Orion male and started dancing wildly on the bar.

Gunney didn't like this and made some very disparaging remarks which we responded to with fire extinguishers. After a few minutes of this, Gunney decided he'd had enough! He challenged us to a PVP match:

Having lost the match in horrible, spectacular fashion, Gunney and friends were not happy and started insulting us in trade chat. This went on for several minutes - Gunney is not good with words - before they warped out. Of course, we couldn't let this stand, so we used the player search function to locate their team and literally chased them around the galaxy.

Eventually, Gunney returned to Drozana, and boy oh boy was he mad! He'd managed to recruit a little posse for himself, including someone in a dual heavy cannon Bortasqu (a ship with a motherfucking turn rate of 5) who claimed he could beat anyone in a one-on-one, and someone else in a wonderful beamscort Guramba. For those not in the know, a Bortasqu is a gigantic fat space whale with a horrible turn rate, and cannons have the smallest firing arc - he literally would not have been able to hit anything with that ship. Putting beams on a Guramba - a fast, nimble ship - is also a terrible idea game-wise, so these people we were fighting were not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed.

In contrast, the goon PVP team practices regularly for exactly these occasions, and is pretty loving good.

Gunney and friends proceeded to CHALLENGE US AGAIN, stating that if we managed to beat him with all these epic people in his team we must be hackers.

This is where things got really, really good:

For context, here, Gunney did 97 damage. That is less damage than a single shot from a heavy cannon. Gunney literally did gently caress-all.

Gunney and co. proceeded to call us cyber-criminals of the highest order, in what can only be described as a total loving meltdown:

uhm dude im runnig a special program to spot hackers why are your ships spikin it

were reporting you for unauthorized content, hacking, harrassment and several other cyber crimes

this will likely be the subject of a criminal investigation

I have no doubt in my mind that the CIA will be picking you up as criminals

You "Winners/Non-hackers" are also "Trollers who dictate and say that we dont hack"

Oats will come in and post the rest of the stuff we missed in this post, but - yeah.

:siren:the CIA will be picking you up as criminals:siren:

Kessel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 25, 2012

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Did goons post the scoreboards on the STO forums?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
A good story, and I laughed at "USS Khloe Cardassian" :v:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

1stGear posted:

Did goons post the scoreboards on the STO forums?

No, but we did discuss the events with the OrganisedPVP channel, which is full of regular PVPers.

Of course, what this resulted in was all the regulars in OPVP sending Gunney tells, offering to challenge his team. Gunney eventually had to log off because he was getting hit so hard.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Hang on... is that the kuuenbu?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

dyzzy posted:

As a grief, all of us have at least one character named Kuuenbu, which we use sometimes in grief matches.

Imagine a fleet of five Kuuenbuus, all in their U.S.S. U.S.S.R., flying towards you.

If anyone asks, we link that video.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That was always the thing I loved most about griefing roleplayers, whether it be on WoW or anywhere else. They spend so much time with the game that they convince themselves they're awesome at it, when really they know gently caress-all because they've spent all of their time pretending to drink alcohol. The moment they lose to you and realize they have absolutely no recourse is always incredible.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Kessel posted:

If anyone asks, we link that video.

Brilliant.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat

dyzzy posted:

:O that's my youtube account, I uploaded that video to show a friend and now it has 25k views

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I had some fun in gmod RP this weekend. I ended up playing my own little one man version of trouble in terrorist town while doing so, as it turned out.

First off, I scoured the map for dropped weapons. Sometimes the fake internet cops were too busy doing whatever it is that they do, and they'd kill someone for brandishing a weapon in public, then run off to, I dunno, ask someone to do some mundane task elsewhere. This would leave the deceased's weapon on the ground.

I collected a knife this way, then I got an idea. What the game needed to really liven things up was a mysterious serial killer on the loose.

I started following people, at a distance, and waiting for them to go somewhere alone. I'd sneak up behind them and one-shot them with the knife in the back. I did this like half a dozen times over the course of an hour or so, and got the server going nuts over OH MY GOD WHO'S DOING THAT RDM RDM RDM [random death match, a big no-no for DEADLY SERIOUS RP SERVERS]. Meanwhile, when I wasn't knifing people in the spine, I was plugging away at some dumb building up on a roof somewhere. I'm just a normal guy on the server, folks!

Then I made the mistake of knifing an admin. I didn't know who I was following, and had I known I wouldn't have done it for obvious reasons [getting caught], but I knifed this guy, and ran back out of the sewer I shanked him in, only to be teleported up on top of a building with my movement locked. He then built a jail around me. He didn't even send me to the map's "official" jail - he... built me one.

I then proceeded to have an argument with him about what just happened. Basically, he argued that I was RDMing. I said, I'm a serial killer, and besides - how do you know what I am? If this is serious roleplay, how do you remember what happened in your past life? You shouldn't know who I am, because you died. He kept talking in out-of-character [OOC] chat about how I was playing out of character [uhh...], griefing and RDMing. I kept explaining - in regular character chat - that he had nothing on me, that we had never met, etc. RDMing is usually a matter of cops or other characters just mowing people down for no reason; I had plenty of reason, I was RPing a killer, and I was doing it pretty well until I stabbed the wrong guy [isn't that always the case]

It supports that ongoing idea, one which I saw in every single RP server I hit this weekend, that it's not a matter of getting a bunch of people together to roleplay, it's I AM THE ADMIN THIS IS MY SERVER AND WE PLAY MY WAAAAY. While I did set out to grief, I ended up... I dunno... not really griefing, I don't think, I was just playing a character they didn't happen to like. Maybe the cops should've done something about it, but they were too busy harassing people for really dumb things. :v:

In short: I started out to grief, actually had some fun RPing in gmod, and got in trouble for it by someone who didn't like me messing with his role playing experience.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Node posted:

It's a comforting feeling that today I still laugh at Belan and Galad as much as I did over a decade ago.

If anyone can find CrazyJoe's Ultima Online adventures you will be very happy.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Speaking of old UO stuff, does anyone else remember someone posting the lyrics of a parody song of Roxanne called Roxxor (or R0xx0R or whatever) where the hook was "Roxx0r, you don't have to loot my reags tonight"? I think it's probably lost to the ages now, but I figured I'd try.

Edit: what the hell? It came up as the #1 search result. I've googled that line multiple times over the years and gotten nothing. The songs are also on Youtube now too.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 26, 2012

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Does anyone know on what page is the story where some people in Day Z were using a helicopter as a taxi and goons stole & crashed it?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Demicol posted:

Does anyone know on what page is the story where some people in Day Z were using a helicopter as a taxi and goons stole & crashed it?

google/forums search, it was like twenty+ pages ago.

alternatively, ctrlf

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Node posted:

I remember doing something similar with the a:/ drive in AOL. You could make chatrooms and instant messages try to load something from their floppy drive, and whenever they tried to load something it would pause their computer and make irritating sounds.

This is back when people still had floppy drives and used AOL, naturally.

I used to live in halls of residence on a campus university and along with fellow nerds, set up ghettonet - a LAN across four buildings hidden under soil and grass with hundreds of metres of CAT45, with like 50 computers on it.

There was this rude jerk I really, really, didn't like, called Ian, on the network. For some reason he had both his CD/DVD drives and his A:/ floppy drive shared.

Naturally, I wrote a little script that "double clicked" one of the drives (with preference to the floppy, for extra loud GA-chunk GA-chunk GNNNRRRRR noises) at quasi-random intervals I think once every 3 to 7 minutes or something. All through the night. At dinner the next few days he was complaining about his computer - which he never turned off, due to running game servers off it - driving him insane, constantly spinning up his various drives at random intervals for :airquote:no reason.:airquote:

He went off on a spiel about spending hours and hours debugging his computer trying to find what process could possibly be causing his computer to do that. He could have just looked at lists of connected users, but a) never thought of it b) so many people were connected to his PC all the time...

I think he eventually removed all three of his drives and hashed together some laptop monstrosity with the two DVD drives sticking out at the back on bare cables.

I never told Ian.

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 26, 2012

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Demicol posted:

I want to play this game just for the griefing possibilities, but learning how to play ARMA sounds like a grief in itself.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clamps McGraw posted:

Naturally, I wrote a little script that "double clicked" one of the drives (with preference to the floppy, for extra loud GA-chunk GA-chunk GNNNRRRRR noises) at quasi-random intervals I think once every 3 to 7 minutes or something. All through the night. At dinner the next few days he was complaining about his computer - which he never turned off, due to running game servers off it - driving him insane, constantly spinning up his various drives at random intervals for :airquote:no reason.:airquote:

You monster. How long did this go on for? :allears:

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
The best thing was when somebody shares out their printer. Looks like they need 500 copies of fantastic deals.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

HenryEx posted:

In case someone is wondering, this is what your only way to get to the GM Island looks like.

So definitely hacking / breaking ToS.
You used to be able to get there with a priest running across the ocean with levitate.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Yaos posted:

The best thing was when somebody shares out their printer. Looks like they need 500 copies of fantastic deals.

Shared printers are a work of the devil in all regards. They are a universal grief against humanity.

gently caress that poo poo.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Too Poetic posted:

You used to be able to get there with a priest running across the ocean with levitate.

Unless you did this yourself and that was in Beta or something, i'm calling shenanigans. Even if you get around fatigue for the three or four hour walk that it would be to walk all the way over to the top left coordinates... The GM Island's ocean isn't even connected to the continent's ocean. There's a big rift of nothing between them when the ocean suddenly ends.

It's a good way to get gullible people to transport their corpse way outside the boundaries of retrieval, though. :haw:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

HenryEx posted:

Unless you did this yourself and that was in Beta or something, i'm calling shenanigans. Even if you get around fatigue for the three or four hour walk that it would be to walk all the way over to the top left coordinates... The GM Island's ocean isn't even connected to the continent's ocean. There's a big rift of nothing between them when the ocean suddenly ends.

It's a good way to get gullible people to transport their corpse way outside the boundaries of retrieval, though. :haw:

The gap in the ocean aside there used to be an exploit where you could use a low level priest that could indefinitely heal their own entire health, as fatigue damage from deep ocean was % based. This was used to get to some remote islands, wouldn't be able to cross a actual gap if there was one though.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

google/forums search, it was like twenty+ pages ago.

alternatively, ctrlf

I wouldn't be asking if I hadn't tried to google it already. This was much longer then the recent DayZ stuff posted here, so I don't want to go ctrl+f 200 pages.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Demicol posted:

I wouldn't be asking if I hadn't tried to google it already. This was much longer then the recent DayZ stuff posted here, so I don't want to go ctrl+f 200 pages.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637&userid=0&perpage=10&pagenumber=942#post403594737

funny it took me like a minute

1) site:forums.somethingawful.com "I killed british" helicopter
2) scroll down
3) find post

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Thank you, I tried to use Site: and direct link to this thread. Much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

MageMage posted:

If anyone can find CrazyJoe's Ultima Online adventures you will be very happy.
Actually I'm pretty sure I have a rip of his site somewhere, in the meantime archive.org have a somewhat complete copy:
http://web.archive.org/web/20071111225803/http://crazyjoe.us/ultimaonline/episodes.htm

• Locked thread