Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AelinHiril
Sep 4, 2004

Chard posted:

Does anyone have a reliable falafel recipe and technique? My problem is that my ball/patties don't hold up when I cook them. I've tried baking in cast iron with oil (turned into one mushy pile), pan frying in non-stick (works the best but still not great at all), and deep frying (abject failure and shame*). Is my problem that I've been using canned chickpeas? What's the secret to these delicious things?

*Many moons ago someone asked if a deep frying thread made sense and was told no, but both I and my parents (drat hippies) have literally zero experience and could use some pointers. It's not as easy as y'all seem to think.

I usually have better luck baking my falafel as opposed to frying. Chickpea flour in place of chickpeas might help hold everything together better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chard posted:

Does anyone have a reliable falafel recipe and technique? My problem is that my ball/patties don't hold up when I cook them. I've tried baking in cast iron with oil (turned into one mushy pile), pan frying in non-stick (works the best but still not great at all), and deep frying (abject failure and shame*). Is my problem that I've been using canned chickpeas? What's the secret to these delicious things?

*Many moons ago someone asked if a deep frying thread made sense and was told no, but both I and my parents (drat hippies) have literally zero experience and could use some pointers. It's not as easy as y'all seem to think.

I can almost guarantee that your deep frying failures are too low heat. You need it hot enough such that the crust on the outside forms before the baking powder is sufficiently activated, otherwise you're poofing the balls with no restrictions. Of course it will disintegrate.

That or you dont have enough binder material.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Is there some unspoken rule about not seasoning gnocchi? I made some whole-wheat pumpkin gnocchi, and they were bland bland bland. I added some spices, and they were super tasty. I can't find a single recipe that has you adding anything more than a slight touch of salt and maybe a sprinkle of pepper. Is the idea that, since you normally have them with some sort of sauce or pesto or whatnot, you don't want the flavor competing with the sauce? Are millions of Italian grandmothers rolling in their graves at the idea of adding more flavor to gnocchi? It seems like a pretty good mechanism for flavor delivery to complement your sauce.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Chard posted:

OK. I'm assuming that you're using tinned chickpeas, which is not how you make falafel. To make falafel:

Soak 2 cups of chickpeas in 6 cups of cold water, for 8 hours. The next morning:

Drain chickpeas well, and rinse under cold water. Dump them into a food processor with:

1 large bunch of parsley, chopped into three chunks
2 - 5 green chiles (according to your heat tolerance)
Generous sprinkling of salt (they'll need some salt)
1 tsp cumin seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
2 TB coriander seeds, lightly toasted and crushed
1 head of garlic, peeled

Pulse the mixture in the food processor until it resembles bread crumbs. Spoon in about 2 - 3 TB of water (1 TB at a time), and blend until the whole mess becomes smoother. You'll go from a crumbly texture to a more paste like one. You do not want it to be terribly wet, so use as little water as you can help.

Just before deep frying, stir through 1/2 tsp of baking soda. Form into little lumps with a spoon, and deep fry at 350F (start the fat off at 370F so that when the falafels balls drop in, they'll not decrease the temperature of your fat too much, then decrease the flame so that they cook at 350 and don't burn) for about six minutes or so.

You really don't need any binder if you follow these instructions.

:)

Best part is that you can substitute other beans if you're out of chickpeas. This works great with fava beans, lima beans, black eyed peas, white beans, etc.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

Is there some unspoken rule about not seasoning gnocchi? I made some whole-wheat pumpkin gnocchi, and they were bland bland bland. I added some spices, and they were super tasty. I can't find a single recipe that has you adding anything more than a slight touch of salt and maybe a sprinkle of pepper. Is the idea that, since you normally have them with some sort of sauce or pesto or whatnot, you don't want the flavor competing with the sauce? Are millions of Italian grandmothers rolling in their graves at the idea of adding more flavor to gnocchi? It seems like a pretty good mechanism for flavor delivery to complement your sauce.

As with all other pasta you are supposed to season the boil water. Heavily. Should taste like sea water

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
1) Does risotto freeze well? This one has got tomatoes, sausage, and onion in it.

2) This no-knead pizza dough makes a billion pizzas worth of dough. It rises once at room temp for 2 hours after combining dough ingredients, then it lives in the fridge for upwards of 7 days before cooking the pizza. When do I freeze leftover dough- after the 2 hour rise, or after the 7 day fridge-sojourn?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I was gonna make red beans and rice and put my beans to soak a while ago. Now I'm having a change in heart before going to the store to get supplies. Anyone got a good stew recipe I could make so I've got chow for the week? I threw in the whole pound bag. Maybe something with chicken? I'm trying to go a little more healthy here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yehudis Basya posted:

1) Does risotto freeze well? This one has got tomatoes, sausage, and onion in it.

2) This no-knead pizza dough makes a billion pizzas worth of dough. It rises once at room temp for 2 hours after combining dough ingredients, then it lives in the fridge for upwards of 7 days before cooking the pizza. When do I freeze leftover dough- after the 2 hour rise, or after the 7 day fridge-sojourn?

I'd go somewhere in between. Doughs like that usually develop flavors over their stay in the fridge and end up best after 3 or 4 days. Go too long and you have to race the clock when you thaw it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 24, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yehudis Basya posted:

Depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to eat it as risotto after reheating and don't care about texture at all, then yeah, it's fine. If you want to make arancini (breadcrumb coated, cheese stuffed, deep fried leftover risotto balls) it should be just fine.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

GrAviTy84 posted:

arancini (breadcrumb coated, cheese stuffed, deep fried leftover risotto balls)

Holy poo poo! I am so going to cook that!!! :swoon:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Cowcatcher posted:

How do I make my tuna pate more pate-y? It doesn't come out smooth like the one I get from the Italian store, no matter how much I blend it.

Answering my own question, I added a cooked potato and that fluffed it up. It's much better but not there yet

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

I took a college trip to Ireland about 5 years ago and one thing I've been wondering about since was the bread our hotel served. Every dinner they would have a basket of really great bread laid out with butter as a snack before they took our orders and served the food. It had the consistency of a nice moist cake. Really filling, too. It was a really good change from the light, sugary bread here in America. I know this isn't much of a description to go on, but does anybody know what kind of bread I'm thinking of?

Was it a darker bread?
I did my internship at a hotel in Ireland and we made a brown bread for dinner service.

This looks pretty similar to what we made.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/irish-common-brown-bread-recipe

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yehudis Basya posted:

Holy poo poo! I am so going to cook that!!! :swoon:

They are seriously life changing food. Ever since I learned about these little golden balls of pure awesome I always make sure to make more risotto than we can eat at a single sitting.

And the arancini themselves actually reheat surprisingly well (in the oven, not the microwave). So you can have several days of mouth-happy from a single batch of risotto.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
I want to make my own prepared horseradish. I've read up a bit on it, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. So far, what I've put together is:

Peel horseradish
Put in something to chop it up
Chop it up
For hottest possible flavor, wait 3 minutes, then add a splash of vinegar
Add sugar and salt
Portion out
Stick somewhere cold

Is there more to it than that?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Valdara posted:

I want to make my own prepared horseradish. I've read up a bit on it, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. So far, what I've put together is:

Peel horseradish
Put in something to chop it up
Chop it up
For hottest possible flavor, wait 3 minutes, then add a splash of vinegar
Add sugar and salt
Portion out
Stick somewhere cold

Is there more to it than that?

I'd use a microplane or a food processor instead of chopping. Other than that, that's pretty much it. Don't go overboard on the sugar, if you use it at all.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there some kind of secret to making mayonnaise in a blender? I can make it by hand with ease, but whenever I use the blender it seems to turn in to oil with egg foam chunks.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there some kind of secret to making mayonnaise in a blender? I can make it by hand with ease, but whenever I use the blender it seems to turn in to oil with egg foam chunks.

Place the blender on the bottom, turn it on, and slooooowly pull upwards...that's it

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

paraquat posted:

Place the blender on the bottom, turn it on, and slooooowly pull upwards...that's it

I think Prada Slut is using a regular blender, not a stick blender.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think if you use a regular blender you need to drizzle in your oil as if you were doing it by hand.

If you use a stick blender you can just drop it all in a cup and go to town.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
So I made fettuccine last night and for the sauce I made a rather fantastic tomato-based one with bay scallops and chorizo.

I now have too bloody much of it and because of the scallops need to polish it off in the next couple days. Any suggestions for how to do this? I was going to fry up some polenta tonight to accompany but I do want to do something a little more interesting because I know my gf will start getting annoyed at eating the same sauce every meal because I made too much (again) :(

Maybe fish the chorizo and scallops out and??? I just don't want to waste delicious sauce

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The boyfriend and I are looking for the ginger salad dressing you get on regular house salads in most Japanese restaurants. I looked for a Japanese cuisine thread, but didn't see anything on the main pages.

I'd like to make my own so I can make a large batch in save it in a dressing bottle for later, but I'm not opposed to pre-made suggestions as well.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So there's no reason why the speed/heat/whatever a regular blender uses would affect the mayonnaise, just the rate of oil addition?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 25, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PRADA SLUT posted:

So there's no reason why the speed/heat/whatever a regular blender uses would affect the mayonnaise, just the rate of oil addition?

If your blender is getting so hot that it is cooking your eggs in the time between turning it on, pouring in the oil, blending, and turning it off (shouldn't be a very long time at all), then your blender is running way too hot.

On a related note, how long will homemade mayo keep? I tried making a small batch myself not too long ago, was not impressed with the results, but because I was trying to make a half batch I think the ratios didn't work out. I also don't go through mayo very quickly as it is.

And unrelated, I made ravioli for the first time last night. They turned out pretty good, but I may have rolled the pasta out too thin. I could clearly read a newspaper through the sheets of dough. They held together fine through the cooking process, but when I went to strain them out they broke apart from hitting the colander. Should I just fish them out of the pot next time? (I have about 1 pound frozen and ready to cook left over)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CzarChasm posted:

If your blender is getting so hot that it is cooking your eggs in the time between turning it on, pouring in the oil, blending, and turning it off (shouldn't be a very long time at all), then your blender is running way too hot.

On a related note, how long will homemade mayo keep? I tried making a small batch myself not too long ago, was not impressed with the results, but because I was trying to make a half batch I think the ratios didn't work out. I also don't go through mayo very quickly as it is.

And unrelated, I made ravioli for the first time last night. They turned out pretty good, but I may have rolled the pasta out too thin. I could clearly read a newspaper through the sheets of dough. They held together fine through the cooking process, but when I went to strain them out they broke apart from hitting the colander. Should I just fish them out of the pot next time? (I have about 1 pound frozen and ready to cook left over)

Oh, this reminds me....whatever method you use (and yes, I was referring to a stick blender before), take your egg(s) out of the fridge beforehand if you keep them there, as it/they need(s) to be at room temperature.

and CzarChasm, homemade mayo keeps for about a week.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Halalelujah posted:

So I made fettuccine last night and for the sauce I made a rather fantastic tomato-based one with bay scallops and chorizo.

I now have too bloody much of it and because of the scallops need to polish it off in the next couple days. Any suggestions for how to do this? I was going to fry up some polenta tonight to accompany but I do want to do something a little more interesting because I know my gf will start getting annoyed at eating the same sauce every meal because I made too much (again) :(

Maybe fish the chorizo and scallops out and??? I just don't want to waste delicious sauce

Fish out the chorizo and scallops, consume with the polenta today, and just freeze the sauce in plastic baggies/gladware/whatever you don't mind throwing out afterwards. No waste, and no pressing need to eat the sauce immediately either. (sometimes, when I feel really lazy and lovely, I'll have a carb-o-feel-good by heating up a small pot of frozen tomato sauce, slicing and toasting up some nice bread, and just dip crispy bread in sauce)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I made this shrimp & coconut curry the other day, and while it was pretty darn tasty, it seems like something was missing. I did use the fresh shredded coconut, not pre-packaged.

http://nomoremicrowaves.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/fresh-coconut-and-shrimp-curry/

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EVG posted:

I made this shrimp & coconut curry the other day, and while it was pretty darn tasty, it seems like something was missing. I did use the fresh shredded coconut, not pre-packaged.

http://nomoremicrowaves.wordpress.com/2011/11/28/fresh-coconut-and-shrimp-curry/

just from glancing at the recipe and not actually tasting it, and assuming they were going for Indian curry, it is lacking: ginger (!very important!), hing, fenugreek (!), cardamom (!), something sour like tamarind, cilantro, bay leaf, and clove (!).

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
It's hard to tell what kind of curry that is supposed to be, but if it's supposed to be Indonesian my instinct is to say fish sauce and like triple the garlic. And some kind of acid like tamarind or lime.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

cheese eats mouse posted:

The boyfriend and I are looking for the ginger salad dressing you get on regular house salads in most Japanese restaurants. I looked for a Japanese cuisine thread, but didn't see anything on the main pages.

I'd like to make my own so I can make a large batch in save it in a dressing bottle for later, but I'm not opposed to pre-made suggestions as well.

Is it, by chance, wafu dressing?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Help me Goons with Spoons you're my only hope.

I promised my GF i'd cook her stuffed peppers tonight because she saw it on some cooking show and I was like "of course I can do that, no problem" :smug:

So I have two giant yellow peppers and pretty much nothing else. I will stuff them with rice and some veggies with tomato (sauce?) She's not really into meat and I'm not into seafood.

What the heck else should I serve with this? The internet's consensus on the first page of Google seems to be a "nice bread" but I am in Korea and such a thing does not exist. I also don't have access to things like herbs (other than parsley) and cheese.

:allears:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yogurt goes well with stuffed peppers. You could go all out Balkan and make cabbage rolls too, though that's basically the same stuffing. Shopska salata? That requires cheese, but feta works fine and every supermarket has that. The stuff at HomePlus is fairly mild.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
For some reason, I have a bottle of lemon pepper in my pantry. I do not know how it got there, and it is pretty much a full bottle. Anyone have any recipes they enjoy that use this? A buddy said it's a pretty decent ingredient in making bread, but I am a bit skeptical about what he says regarding food, because he thinks a croissant sandwich at Dunkin Donuts is fine dining.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Yogurt goes well with stuffed peppers. You could go all out Balkan and make cabbage rolls too, though that's basically the same stuffing. Shopska salata? That requires cheese, but feta works fine and every supermarket has that. The stuff at HomePlus is fairly mild.

Hmmm I like cabbage rolls but whatever else I make needs to be stovetop because I only have enough room in my tiny oven for the peppers.

What's the Feta look like at Homeplus? Unless I'm missing something all I ever see is sliced processed cheese and shredded "pizza" cheese in a bag.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's a big white block, 200 grams I think. Homeplus here has a whole real cheese section between the fake cheeses. Lotte Mart also has it in a jar, cubed and in olive oil. It's good too.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

tarepanda posted:

Is it, by chance, wafu dressing?

I'm not sure. It has an orange pinkish tint and is sweet and creamy with hints of ginger.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

I'm not sure. It has an orange pinkish tint and is sweet and creamy with hints of ginger.

Definitely not wafu. I've never seen a dressing like that here in Japan...

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I googled ubiquitous Japanese dressing; lo and behold, this seems like what you're looking for?

http://www.food.com/recipe/ubiquitous-japanese-salad-dressing-187180

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

sounds like a mix of pickled ginger, miso, peanut oil, rice wine vinegar, and honey in a blender

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

THE LUMMOX posted:

Help me Goons with Spoons you're my only hope.

I promised my GF i'd cook her stuffed peppers tonight because she saw it on some cooking show and I was like "of course I can do that, no problem" :smug:

So I have two giant yellow peppers and pretty much nothing else. I will stuff them with rice and some veggies with tomato (sauce?) She's not really into meat and I'm not into seafood.

What the heck else should I serve with this? The internet's consensus on the first page of Google seems to be a "nice bread" but I am in Korea and such a thing does not exist. I also don't have access to things like herbs (other than parsley) and cheese.

:allears:

I usualy fry some onions and rice with greek spices and pepper in olive oil, then cut the top off the peppers and stuff them, bake for 30-45. If you also have thick meaty tomatos, hollow them out and stuff them too. I mix the chopped up insides of the tomatos with the filling.

Grand Fromage posted:

Stuffed grape vine rolls would be more appropriate, but props for the Shopska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cowcatcher posted:

Stuffed grape vine rolls would be more appropriate, but props for the Shopska.

Sadly grape leaves are literally impossible to find in Korea. I've tried. Cabbage rolls are as close as it gets.