Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but the the next lenses are few and far between. It's great to adapt glass to though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just bought a film rangefinder to hold me over until I find $1400 in a winter coat pocket I forgot I had.

My main gripe with the DSLR is that it's huge as gently caress. You don't notice that until you use a smaller camera.

Part of it is that I have a giant 24-70 2.8 on there. If I replaced it with a 50 1.8 and got rid of my battery grip I'd lose like half the weight/bulk.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Part of it is that I have a giant 24-70 2.8 on there. If I replaced it with a 50 1.8 and got rid of my battery grip I'd lose like half the weight/bulk.
Pretty much. I've been shooting a thrifty 50 (well, the 1,8G version so at least semi-thrifty) on my D800 and it's heavy enough thank you very much. I so wish Nikon made a non-DX 30-35/1.8
I guess I'll have to try a 28/1.8 when it becomes more widely available, but I like 35 so much :cry:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I heard we were discussing taints itt

Did I miss taintchat :(

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Pretty much. I've been shooting a thrifty 50 (well, the 1,8G version so at least semi-thrifty) on my D800 and it's heavy enough thank you very much. I so wish Nikon made a non-DX 30-35/1.8
I guess I'll have to try a 28/1.8 when it becomes more widely available, but I like 35 so much :cry:

What's wrong with the AF-D?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm actually getting more and more used to the D3200 with a Tamron 17-50 on it for a walk around camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beastruction posted:

What's wrong with the AF-D?
Too cheap. But really they just didn't have one when my body came in, and I was leaving for the US a couple of days later.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

DJExile posted:

I heard we were discussing taints itt

Did I miss taintchat :(

Someone mentioned Leica last page.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Someone mentioned Leica last page.

Leicas have titanium taints.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Here's my bit of advice. If you own a camera you're happy with, and someone gives you the chance to handle a Fuji X100 I say walk the gently caress away because you will be lusting after one within minutes.
I refuse to touch a 5D or even 7D because it's bad enough having a 50D at work then waiting for the buffer on my 30D to fill up when I'm using my personal camera.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Leicas have titanium taints.

I only use cloth-tainted Leicas, the titanium taint makes too loud of a clack to be usable for street shooting.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

I only use cloth-tainted Leicas, the titanium taint makes too loud of a clack to be usable for street shooting.

Just don't point your rear end towards the sun without stopping down and defocusing first.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

I refuse to touch a 5D or even 7D because it's bad enough having a 50D at work then waiting for the buffer on my 30D to fill up when I'm using my personal camera.

If buffer clearing is your main concern you can safely handle an X100. I think it uses a 1200 baud modem to talk to the SD card.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

er, I meant buffer emptying.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

If buffer clearing is your main concern you can safely handle an X100. I think it uses a 1200 baud modem to talk to the SD card.

I though it was changing the game or something something.

Also a titanium taint is called titaintnium you plebs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Man, I hate waiting for ebay sellers to post things.

2-day later EDIT: Man, I love it when things arrive from ebay.

spog fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 28, 2012

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Here's an idea, how about a Facebook cover photo thread? For inspiration I suppose.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Suicide Watch posted:

Here's an idea, how about a Facebook cover photo thread? For inspiration I suppose.

There was one in PYF a while ago.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

dukeku posted:

Show me an affordable 35mm lens for 645 and beyond and maybe we can start talking.

arsat fisheye?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It's time for everyone's favorite game show....

GUESS

THAT

GEAR!

Today we've got the photographer responsible for Jenny McCarthy's new Playboy centerfold. Let's see what he's shooting with...

Alright, put 30 seconds on the clock...

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

the posted:

It's time for everyone's favorite game show....

GUESS

THAT

GEAR!

Today we've got the photographer responsible for Jenny McCarthy's new Playboy centerfold. Let's see what he's shooting with...

Alright, put 30 seconds on the clock...

My god who could possibly care. I'm gonna need a 500-word essay from you on the importance of vaccination and herd immunity.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Uh-oh, the. I hope you can deliver a knockout essay. SM takes his immunology studies crazy serious.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

it's a 24-70 and a 70-200, hardly too shocking.

Guess the lighting is more fun!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

My god who could possibly care. I'm gonna need a 500-word essay from you on the importance of vaccination and herd immunity.

I love this (sub) forum :swoon:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Why would you want any 500 words written by forums poster the gathered together in one place? Also are there bonus points for taking "herd" literally and writing Jenny McCarthy bestiality erotic "fiction"?

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 1, 2012

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

SoundMonkey posted:

Post this ITT when you're finished.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Soccer

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
If fuckin Khedira had scored on his two shots :argh:

Turd Nelson
Nov 21, 2008
Went to a street festival last Thursday and was astounded to see so many people taking pictures of this drummer. He wasn't doing anything particularly interesting, but photographers FLOCKED to this guy. It was super bizarre.

There were also a group of fat nikon shooters standing about 10 ft away from the drummer with prosumer bodies and luxury glass, taking snapshots of dogs from eye level.

There are a lot of fauxtagraphers in Portland.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Welp there you go.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Pssht. Lead singers and guitarists are so over.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

^ I thought in Portland there would've been an army of hipsters with Holgas and toy cameras everything else "vintage".

Also, has everyone seen the awful US olympic team photos?

http://solsticevisuals.com/post/26229830602/outrage-over-the-photographs-of-the-united-states

I'm pretty sure that anyone who posts on dorkroom could do a better job than this.

Krelas fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 1, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There was an awesome series of the Dutch athletes by a Dutch photog in the KLM Sky Magazine this month. Here's the guy's website with the photos:

http://www.bastiaanheus.nl/

Netherland wins the gold for photography.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

SoundMonkey posted:

Vaccination is known to prevent disease for an individual. However, vaccination does not just affect the person getting vaccinated, but the individuals they interact with as well, thanks to a theory known as herd immunity.

The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases defines herd immunity, also known as community immunity, as protection from disease by having the majority vaccinated. In a situation where the majority is not vaccinated, a disease can spread to an entire community as it transmits from person to person. However, if a community has the majority of its population protected, then the disease has very few targets for infection, limiting the extent of an outbreak to only a small percent of the population.

The ability to prevent large outbreaks is what makes vaccination and herd immunity so important. A study done by the New England Journal of Medicine reports on a 2005 mini-outbreak of measles in Indiana, the largest documented in the United States since 1996 (in 2000, the disease was declared eliminated from the United States.) In the report, an unvaccinated person returning from Romania had contracted measles and spread it to 34 people. Of those 34, 94% were unvaccinated, with vaccine failure occurring in two individuals. 34 people, while not a small number, is miniscule compared to what could have been a significantly larger outbreak (The CDC cites 3-4 million measles cases every year pre-vaccine.) Herd immunity protected further individuals from infection, as there were no other vectors beyond the 34 people where the disease could have spread. A similar event happened in San Diego, California, in early 2008, as documented by the CDC; an unvaccinated boy had traveled to Europe, contracted measles, and spread it to 11 cases. None of the affected were immunized, but herd immunity prevented the disease from infecting everyone else at the boy's school.

The concept is also important because of an earlier point; in a community with few vaccinated people, an epidemic becomes much more likely because disease can spread much more easily. The CDC sets a threshold for how much of a community has to be vaccinated in order for herd immunity to take effect, which varies between diseases. As an example, pertussis, or the whooping cough, needs 92% of its population immune, while polio needs only 80-86%. Dipping below the threshold means an epidemic becomes more and more likely, especially in children. Glanz JM, McClure DL, Magic DJ, et al noted that parental refusal of whooping cough vaccination is associated with an increased risk of infection in children, noting a 23-fold increased risk. The high increased risk ties in with the CDC's figures for whooping cough's immunity threshold. Similarly, the same researchers published an article later noting that non-vaccinated children are 8 times more likely to contract chicken pox.

That is why vaccination and herd immunity are so important. With vigilant vaccination, it is possible to, if not outright eradicate certain diseases, prevent them from becoming major outbreaks. In addition, those who do not respond to vaccines are protected as well. By getting vaccinated, individuals contribute to herd immunity and contribute to the prevention of mass outbreaks by vaccine-preventable diseases.

(Doing the research on this made me mad as gently caress. You want sheer amounts of :psyboom:? Go read comments from anti-vaccination people.)

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This rules so much

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Turd Nelson posted:

Went to a street festival last Thursday and was astounded to see so many people taking pictures of this drummer. He wasn't doing anything particularly interesting, but photographers FLOCKED to this guy. It was super bizarre.

There were also a group of fat nikon shooters standing about 10 ft away from the drummer with prosumer bodies and luxury glass, taking snapshots of dogs from eye level.

There are a lot of fauxtagraphers in Portland.

I see weirdo street photographers in London all the time with fat white lenses and huge bodies. I was waiting outside a Lingerie boutique for a client meeting and this guy kept trying to go for a "dude on a cell phone standing in front of a window display full of lingerie" shot with his 70-200 and I just kept moving slightly out of frame. He actually yelled at me.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

That's very well written, I am impressed.

quote:

(Doing the research on this made me mad as gently caress. You want sheer amounts of :psyboom:? Go read comments from anti-vaccination people.)

It does make me wonder why there isn't a required certification process before people are allowed to have kids.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

spog posted:

That's very well written, I am impressed.

It does make me wonder why there isn't a required certification process before people are allowed to have kids.

because pretty often eugenics is frowned upon thanks to a lot of bad press.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

this guy kept trying to go for a "dude on a cell phone standing in front of a window display full of lingerie" shot with his 70-200 and I just kept moving slightly out of frame. He actually yelled at me.
My hero :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Decisions :ohdear: Decisions

We've had to reschedule this model shoot twice (once I was too ill to move and once when he accidentally double-booked himself) and now he's gone dark.

I've called, texted and even messaged him on Facebook to double check that he's still game and heard no response. The prospect of lugging my gear 12-ish miles in the hope that it's still on isn't inspiring confidence.

I'm not mad.. just a bit :smith: