Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

If I ever get around to updating my pack (aka. stop playing Skyrim), I'll add a little info in the readme for each mod to say what it does. That unarmored mod is in my pack I believe -- it's called Dodge Mod. This seems to be the most current version and it looks like it requires Tribunal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I'm getting an error for "a_glass_boots_GND.nif", referring to the mesh for glass boots "on the ground", after installing MSGO. All I can find through Google is a reference to some 'Baldurians Transparent Glass Armors' mod, which does not use an ESP file so I can't tell if it is used in MSGO, what version it would be, and if it's the problem. Plus there's no changelog, so I can't tell if it was fixed. It looks like it's in the 'Data Files/meshes/A/' folder, so I have no idea what the problem is. Is the game case sensitive or something?

edit: I'm dumb and forgot the actual error message, it was just a misplaced texture. Some weapon glow thing (TX_W_something_something_glow.dds) in the armor texture folder instead of root textures.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 25, 2012

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
I'm a little confused about the steam version installation process in the OP. Specifically: in what order am I supposed to install MGSO and the distant lands workaround? Both of them seem to replace morrowind.exe but the file sizes are different.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
Wait, there's a problem with Distant Lands in Steam? I didn't notice anything, but then I have it turned way down, so for all I know it was never on to begin with. I remember I used to have it on a lot higher, though. Is it an MGE version thing?

Install the workaround first, MSGO doesn't actually replace the EXE, it just patches/modifies the one it finds.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 25, 2012

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Positronic Spleen posted:

Wait, there's a problem with Distant Lands in Steam? I didn't notice anything, but then I have it turned way down, so for all I know it was never on to begin with. I remember I used to have it on a lot higher, though. Is it an MGE version thing?

I've always needed to disable the in-game overlay in Steam in order to get MGE to work at all, but beyond that, I've never had any particular trouble.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Wow, so I decided to reinstall this and i sat down to get it all set up by following the instructions in the OP - right away I'm stuck, and i haven't even downloaded anything yet!

The download link for wyre mash in the OP here is really hard to understand... am i being dense? is there actually anything to download at this link? Because it says 'no files have been uploaded yet' on this page.

Is there an alternate download link for the most up to date version?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Rooreelooo posted:

Wow, so I decided to reinstall this and i sat down to get it all set up by following the instructions in the OP - right away I'm stuck, and i haven't even downloaded anything yet!

The download link for wyre mash in the OP here is really hard to understand... am i being dense? is there actually anything to download at this link? Because it says 'no files have been uploaded yet' on this page.

Is there an alternate download link for the most up to date version?

Try here. Morrowind and Oblivion mods got split into their own domains of the TES Nexus in recent months.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Oh great, thanks. That one works fine.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
So I'm finally GETTING this game, I'm like 12 hours in and I'm gonna be on the hook for the rest. Haven't done anything main quest wise aside from checking in with Caius. I've managed to spec a spellsword-like character without any major or minor skills that rely on Intelligence, just Willpower. Is this going to hamstring me? In general, can I get those x2 or x3 bonuses at level-up by training my other skills? And does all the time that passes while I rest to regain mana count against me at some point in the future?

e: Oh, and about how long is the main quest? Should I be worried about any non-telegraphed points of no return?

Sorry about all the questions, I've been trying to look things up on the wikia site, but I don't know where to look for some of this stuff.

What Fun fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 28, 2012

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
The time passing doesn't count against you as far as I remember. Its just that sleeping somewhere has a chance of triggering dark brotherhood ambushes if you have the Tribunal expansion installed. Also, if you just grind a skill that raises int before you sleep for a level up you can get it a 5x multiplier just like the stats on your primary skills.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Thanks! The Dark Brotherhood? Is that what my weekly free gold drop is called? Good to know. Should I be trying to get everything up to x5 at a levels, or can I keep cruising along with 2's and 3's?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

What Fun posted:

So I'm finally GETTING this game, I'm like 12 hours in and I'm gonna be on the hook for the rest. Haven't done anything main quest wise aside from checking in with Caius. I've managed to spec a spellsword-like character without any major or minor skills that rely on Intelligence, just Willpower. Is this going to hamstring me? In general, can I get those x2 or x3 bonuses at level-up by training my other skills? And does all the time that passes while I rest to regain mana count against me at some point in the future?

e: Oh, and about how long is the main quest? Should I be worried about any non-telegraphed points of no return?

Sorry about all the questions, I've been trying to look things up on the wikia site, but I don't know where to look for some of this stuff.

There's no points of no return on the main quest, although some things do show up in various places as you progress.

As for major and minor skills, there's no definite answer since different things work for different people, but if you're finding the Dark Brotherhood to be nothing more than a weekly gold drop, you shouldn't have a problem (and can probably train yourself up if you do).

Since you can only pick 3 skills to level up in the vanilla system (which I assume you're using), you only need to focus on 3 multipliers before you rest for the level up. Getting a 2x or 3x isn't the end of the world, but wouldn't you rather have the extra 2 points? Training skills counts towards them, so if you want a specific attribute to have the 5x multiplier, then train any skill under it (or get the 5x for everything plugin. I'm sure someone here has the link).

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 28, 2012

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

That said, don't obsess about multipliers. Morrowind doesn't scale the way Oblivion does so if you have trouble advancing because your attributes are too low you can always level up some more.

You're bound to become an unkillable demigod sooner or later, it doesn't really matter if it takes you slightly longer to get to that point.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I would recommend installing nGCD, even for a first play through.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr. Crow posted:

I would recommend installing nGCD, even for a first play through.

Isn't the Morrowind version GCD? Here is the latest version with unofficial bug fixes, etc:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ylyn2fwmofz

I highly recommend it for the first play through as well. It is basically what Morrowind/Oblivion's leveling system should have been.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I'm a little too far in for a new leveling system, but it does look interesting. I'm sure this won't be the first. Thanks for the answers! It's good to know I can train what I need, and it seems like I'm on the right path progress-wise.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

What Fun posted:

I'm a little too far in for a new leveling system, but it does look interesting. I'm sure this won't be the first. Thanks for the answers! It's good to know I can train what I need, and it seems like I'm on the right path progress-wise.

I suggest leveling up, picking 3 attributes you like, and consoling them to +5 without worrying about grinding just the right misc skills. The game's more fun that way.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Is there any level cap I should be worried about hitting? I mean, I'm still mostly doing quests based out of Balmora, so as long as I'm not closing myself off to future points I don't mind taking the long way.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

The level cap is when you get all your major and minor skills to 100, but even then I think you can spend time in jail and possibly level up more if they are lowered.

You really shouldn't need to worry too much about getting +5 on each level, you should still get plenty good stats if you consistently pick up 2s and 3s.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I don't think there's a built-in level cap, it's just based on how many times you can get those ten major/minor increases. I deliberately made my major/minor skills start as low as possible for this reason, and I cap somewhere in the mid-70's, having maxed out a Dunmer's attributes around the upper 40's with all x5's (except luck, at 51). I assume 100 is the engine's permitted maximum since that's as high as NPCs go in the expansions (although levels do not necessarily reflect NPC abilities).

Picking the worst major/minor was fine for me because I had a general idea of what doesn't level-scale, and I would use my massive bags of money to train at my convenience, doing maybe twenty levels in one big lump. I'd prefer using GCD, except that I don't like how it uncaps skill gains, which normally stop at 100.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Gyshall posted:

Isn't the Morrowind version GCD? Here is the latest version with unofficial bug fixes, etc:

I highly recommend it for the first play through as well. It is basically what Morrowind/Oblivion's leveling system should have been.

Yes, sorry.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Down the road I'm going to be looking into building a new desktop computer. Windows 7 has lovely backwards compatibility from what I've read about except Windows 7 Professional. Is anybody playing Morrowind with that OS?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

bobthedinosaur posted:

Windows 7 has lovely backwards compatibility from what I've read about except Windows 7 Professional. Is anybody playing Morrowind with that OS?

I'm playing on basic W7 and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble.

magicaldinosaur
Jun 29, 2012

by angerbot
I'm going to have oh so much fun playing this. I diddled around with it on the X-Box(As my PC sucked at release), so this gives me an opportunity to run around and have fun in Morrowind.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

bobthedinosaur posted:

Down the road I'm going to be looking into building a new desktop computer. Windows 7 has lovely backwards compatibility from what I've read about except Windows 7 Professional. Is anybody playing Morrowind with that OS?

Same. Got Morrowind modded and running on both a desktop and a laptop with Windows 7 without any unusual problems. You'll be fine.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I'm glad to hear that! Sure, I'm stoked to be able to finally get around to playing Skyrim, Saint's Row and a whole slough of other modern games but Morrowind has a special place in my heart, n'wah.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

magicaldinosaur posted:

How do I go about starting these mods up with Morrowind on Steam?

There should be a Morrowind Launcher executable when you install the game. On the menu is a "Data Files" option: These are your plugins. Any mods that are properly installed and have an .esm/.esp file will show up here. A checked box next to them means they're active. Once they are active, you can load the game up however you want--the plugins will remain activated.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
So this is pretty cool http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1324667-relz-main-quest-enhancers/

magicaldinosaur
Jun 29, 2012

by angerbot
I installed Morrowind onto my PC, disabled Steam In-Game Community/Cloud, downloaded MGSO 2.0.1, and I also downloaded Oggum's Mods simply for the Better Bodies/Heads mod, and I'm having a hard time removing the rest of Oggum's so it'll stop conflicting with MGSO. As a result, I am not going to install Oggum's! Simple enough, yeah, but I was wondering if somebody had access to the Better Bodies/Heads mod so I can be on my merry way throughout Morrowind once more! I'd really appreciate somebody's help.

The link on Planet Elder Scrolls is down, by the way. ._.

Nevermind, got it working! Woo! Morrowind is all prettied up for me, yey.

magicaldinosaur fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 1, 2012

Natenater
Apr 28, 2009
Edit: Never mind, the Steam fix for MGE seemed to solve the problem.

Natenater fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 2, 2012

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Does GCD still overwhelmingly favor mage characters? I remember using GCD and getting a character with like 1000 mana and 30 HP or something ridiculous like that;I used MADD Leveler for that reason, but I'd love to use GCD if they fixed that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've never had that problem with GCD + BTB Game Improvements. I only ever play spellsword type mage characters, though.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

OSheaman posted:

Does GCD still overwhelmingly favor mage characters? I remember using GCD and getting a character with like 1000 mana and 30 HP or something ridiculous like that;I used MADD Leveler for that reason, but I'd love to use GCD if they fixed that.

I started a Breton mage using GCD with intelligence and willpower as my main stats and the elfborn sign, and I started with something like 35 health and maybe 200-250ish magicka. I tried a high elf with the atronach birth sign and I think I had 325ish magicka, so I don't think it was too imbalanced.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I used to know what caused this and how to fix it but it's been to long since I had to, any ideas? This happens with all the shaders off (and various ones on), just a wall of fog regardless of draw distance.

Nevermind it's the 'above ground fog' setting, no idea why the quick start guide recommends .5 for that setting and then having a distant land setting of 12, defeats the purpose....

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 3, 2012

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

OSheaman posted:

I never got why people think this. Warriors do just fine under GCD, the only characters that get gimped are generalist ones like bards or nightblades (since they typically have either too little health or too little magicka, or both).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Musical Daredevil,

I found a couple of additional tips for significantly improving MGE-XE performance, and I've never seen them before:

1. If using one of the two built-in SSAO shaders, change their flags to not run in exterior cells. When used in conjunction with grass mods, this can have a huge impact on performance.

2. If using the sunshaft shader, flag it to not run when the sun isn't visible.

These can be accomplished by:
1. Open the MGE-XE Menu and navigate to the "Shaders" section.
2. Select "editor."
3. Find the MGE-XE Shaders Folder (i.e. "Morrowind/Data Files/Shaders/XEshaders")
For editing the SSAO shaders, you'll want to select either "SSAO HQ.fx" or "SSAO Fast.fx" depending on whichever one you're currently using. For editing the Sunshafts shader, you'll want to select "Sunshafts.fx".
4A. For modifying the SSAO shaders, select "Shader Flags" and then tick the box labeled "disable while in exteriors".
4B. For modifying the Sunshafts shaders, select "Shader Flags" and then tick the box labeled "Don't Use Shader When Sun is Not Visible".
5. Save.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

e: Sorry, I'm an idiot that manages to not follow simple instructions.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 13, 2012

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks for the thread, everyone. Just what I was looking for.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Okay, I have an actual problem this time. I got everything setup using Wrye Mash, and I clicked to launch Morrowind, and I got an error message from Morrowind. I should not I'm using the ogumm's mod pack the opening post links to, and I have enabled every mod.

quote:

One of the files that "time2x.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
This may result in errors. Saving again will clear this message
but not necessarily fix any errors.
One of the files that "tribunalintegration.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "teo-traps.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "teo-stealth.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "vgreetings-hit.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "dodgemod.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "armoreffects-balance.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "armoreffects.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "vgreetings-thief.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One of the files that "betterclothespatch.esp" is dependent on has changed since the last save.
One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

I'm starting a new game, so is this going to cause problems?

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
It should be okay. Every time I start my morrowind with the same pack it gives me that message. MGE allows you to turn on the "yes to all" button and if I click that I get no issues playing the actual game even though it throws that error up every time I start.