Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Well, for Pages at least the functionality is broken. The assets aren't updated too but the broken functionality is more likely to be the reason why that's checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
If you had the retina MBP and you are OUTRAGED by the scrolling performance, is there not a way to say "i'm not an idiot, let me configure the resolution myself" and run the entire device in 1440x900 hidpi to get those sweet, sweet fips back?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but is there a HDD enclosure that works with a 2011 MBA that doesn't require a separate AC adapter? Everything I see powered by USB uses a Y cable which is problematic for the Air with only one USB port per side.

I've been patiently waiting for a Thunderbolt enclosure but it seems like that's a long time in coming.

1. I've successfully used a Y-cable with the MBA using both sides.
2. Most of time time, I find the drives working completely fine using just one USB port.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

1. I've successfully used a Y-cable with the MBA using both sides.
2. Most of time time, I find the drives working completely fine using just one USB port.
Thanks, I guess no harm in buying a $10 enclosure and seeing if it works although the spare 2.5" drive I have laying around is a 7200rpm drive so I could see it needing both USB ports.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah in my experience they work with a single cable on Apple laptops; probably because Apple allows devices to pull more than the standard 500mA if needed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but is there a HDD enclosure that works with a 2011 MBA that doesn't require a separate AC adapter? Everything I see powered by USB uses a Y cable which is problematic for the Air with only one USB port per side.

I've been patiently waiting for a Thunderbolt enclosure but it seems like that's a long time in coming.

I have 3 USB drives, all 2.5" - a WD with a 320GB 5400 RPM WD Blue in it, (stock drive was a 160GB), a WD with a 120GB PATA drive in it, and a Dane-elec 2.5" enclosure that I've stuck a couple different drives in, none of them required more than a single USB connection.

I used to have one of those 'fat' WD Passports that had a 1TB 2.5" drive and it only required one USB cable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New Mamba sleeve from Booq

http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/mamba-sleeve

Couple different colors, for both Airs and 13/15 pros.

My problem with a lot of 13" sleeves/cases is that they are thick enough for the 13" Pro, which isn't -bad- but the 11" sleeves fit snug as a glove.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Thanks, I guess no harm in buying a $10 enclosure and seeing if it works although the spare 2.5" drive I have laying around is a 7200rpm drive so I could see it needing both USB ports.
Worst case if you really need both USB ports you can get a USB extension cable for a few bucks to plug the second cable in.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Is it possible to remove the two parts of the white scissors mechanism the keys on the mid-2011 MBA use? I stupidly spilled a really thick smoothie on one side of the keyboard right after I bought it last year. I was able to remove all the key caps and clean it up, and the switches all work fine. However, the mechanical (scissors) part of some of the affected keys has residue on the contact surfaces that I can't clean out, so the keys have an off feeling because the operation isn't as smooth as the rest of the keyboard.

I would be able to clean the residue off if I could remove the scissors parts, but I can't find anything about working with the keyboard on this model. The keyboard is apparently permanently attached to the bottom case cover, so you can only replace the entire unit for something like $300. For that kind of price, I'd rather just live with it or get a new laptop. I am not sure if the scissors mechanism parts are removable, and I don't want to risk breaking a key by pulling one off unguided.

If I take this to an Apple Store and play dumb, are they going to disassemble the keyboard and case unit and call me on it, or will they just replace it for me? I did a really thorough job cleaning up with alcohol, and the smoothie was so thick it didn't go all over the place. With the key caps removed, it isn't possible to tell something was spilled on the keyboard by looking at it. Maybe I am just being naive because Lenovo would send me replacement keyboards no questions asked, though.

Bob_McBob fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 25, 2012

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe every app has that checkbox on a Retina MBP, and it makes sense that it's checked right now for iWork because as crazysim said, not all of the assets have been updated.

So, does it completely break it if you turn it on? I would think at least having the text crisper would be worth it.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Not completely broke, but it's broken. I didn't check for effects on all text documents but here's an example with the "Woodland Invoice" template.

Non-Retina:

http://imgur.com/320Fm

Retina:

http://i.imgur.com/Qj6tZ

In the Retina image, the leaf is cropped incorrectly and the placeholder image drop-in is not there.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 25, 2012

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

LastInLine posted:

I've been using this one for about 6 months with my 2011 MBA: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038L4AS6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

echobucket posted:

So, does it completely break it if you turn it on? I would think at least having the text crisper would be worth it.

To me, it's absolutely worth it.

Thanks to whoever posted that. A bunch of my buddies at the Apple Store all lost their poo poo when they saw that. Now they (and I) can at least do word-processing in something other than text edit and not want to kill ourselves from how terrible it looked :)

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: MBP:R shipped :siren:

If you ordered on the first day but missed out on the first week's shipments there might be some good news.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Peven Stan posted:

If you ordered on the first day but missed out on the first week's shipments there might be some good news.

I ordered the first day too, and mine just ticked over to "preparing for shipment" today.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

I've been using this one for about 6 months with my 2011 MBA: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038L4AS6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
There's also this which does around 200+MB/s read and write if you are using it with USB 3.0 and one of those cheap 512GB crucial SSD :v:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Note...SB+3.0+external

edit: I believe it's also the same controller they used in this test.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5997/ssd-and-usb-30-performance-of-the-retina-display-macbook-pro

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 26, 2012

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I won an Apple Dual Link DVI adapter on eBay for $50; How terrible will my late 2009 Macbook (9400M) be with one of those cheap Korean 27" IPS displays?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Should be fine for general use; it's just that expose and other effects like that will probably be a little laggy.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I walked into an Apple store and picked one up last Friday and I cannot imagine ever going back to my old MBP or any other laptop. My first real attempt at using the App Store and it's kind of surprising even the free apps that I still have to visit a webpage to install.

The more quickly apps update their text rendering, the better. Some text can look pretty terrible in comparison.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 26, 2012

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Peven Stan posted:

Mine's also just shipped and I ordered on the first day :toot:.

I'm kind of used to shipping delays after something brand new has released though :australia:

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I got mine today. Everything is so loving sharp. I have just been sitting here staring at the UI elements, then looking back at my 27" iMac in disgust. Everything needs a screen like this.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

I got mine today. Everything is so loving sharp. I have just been sitting here staring at the UI elements, then looking back at my 27" iMac in disgust. Everything needs a screen like this.
Does Screen Sharing support the display? Just wondering if you can remote in and get the iMac's full resolution in a window on the MBP.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I'll have a look tomorrow. My iMac is at work.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long
Anyone doing any design work on the Retina MBP without an external monitor? What's it like?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

ZShakespeare posted:

If you had the retina MBP and you are OUTRAGED by the scrolling performance, is there not a way to say "i'm not an idiot, let me configure the resolution myself" and run the entire device in 1440x900 hidpi to get those sweet, sweet fips back?

I thought is was running in 1440x900 hidpi.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

a bad poster yall posted:

Anyone doing any design work on the Retina MBP without an external monitor? What's it like?

The standard retina mode is terrible, makes everything way too big to be usable and nothing is optimised for the screen. I guess it's what the scaled modes are for, but they're pretty much essential to get any work done. I don't think there are many 15" laptop screens you can push up to 1,920 x 1,200 though, so if you're using anything particularly complex that's pretty cool.

On that note, what's up with basically 0 third party programs being updated for the display so far? Is it just too early?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

It's been out for what, 2 weeks? So few people have them at this point that I can't see it being a huge priority for most devs. Adobe have said they're working on updates for CS6 and Lightroom though, so that makes me happy. I almost pulled the trigger on retina Aperture but I think I'll hold off.

Personally I'm really enjoying the standard retina (1440x900 hidpi) resolution, but I guess I'm in the minority.

luvd
Sep 29, 2011

don't like omelettes but i'll eat crepes all day long

Dr Solway Garr posted:

The standard retina mode is terrible, makes everything way too big to be usable and nothing is optimised for the screen. I guess it's what the scaled modes are for, but they're pretty much essential to get any work done. I don't think there are many 15" laptop screens you can push up to 1,920 x 1,200 though, so if you're using anything particularly complex that's pretty cool.

On that note, what's up with basically 0 third party programs being updated for the display so far? Is it just too early?

Yeah, this gets me although I'm sure that CS6/7 will compensate for it. Meh. Might have to get an external monitor on top./

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

a bad poster yall posted:

200% zoom in Photoshop should be equivalent for web stuff, just make sure your documents are sized correctly.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

DaNzA posted:

There's also this which does around 200+MB/s read and write if you are using it with USB 3.0 and one of those cheap 512GB crucial SSD :v:

http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Note...SB+3.0+external

edit: I believe it's also the same controller they used in this test.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5997/ssd-and-usb-30-performance-of-the-retina-display-macbook-pro

Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for an external drive to run dev images off of and totally forgot about Apricorn. I'd rather not buy a "Make Lucky" brand POS from newegg when I can get something I know will actually work and not suck.

ptier fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 26, 2012

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

Digital Jesus posted:

It's been out for what, 2 weeks? So few people have them at this point that I can't see it being a huge priority for most devs. Adobe have said they're working on updates for CS6 and Lightroom though, so that makes me happy. I almost pulled the trigger on retina Aperture but I think I'll hold off.

Personally I'm really enjoying the standard retina (1440x900 hidpi) resolution, but I guess I'm in the minority.

Well adobe said their retina update for photoshop was coming "later this year', and they didn't even mention anything about the rest of their programs, after effects in particular is an an issue, so I'm not holding my breath. But even with a retina update, the standard view still scales everything a little too big.

The bigger scaled views are alright, but you get weird edges on brush strokes, shapes and text, in pretty much every adobe program, you at least have room to do stuff though and retina enabled program's look fine in them.

It's definitely workable untill they, hopefully quickly, get it sorted out and I don't think you'd need an extra monitor for it or anything, but actually trying to work on this thing, so far, hasn't been ideal. The colour quality is nice though.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Something seems to have gone wrong with my payment and they are trying to find my money now. Will the shipping date just move up until the product has been paid for ?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Jabe posted:

Something seems to have gone wrong with my payment and they are trying to find my money now. Will the shipping date just move up until the product has been paid for ?
Apple is the only place that can answer that with any confidence. What did they say when you asked?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I'm thinking about buying my first Mac. Expected usage is music production, Plex server, iOS stuff, and general web browsing/email/ect stuff. I plan to move my Windows rig to my living room and hook it up directly to the TV, while leaving the Mac in the bedroom. I'm used to two monitor extended desktops, so I'd like to keep that option open. I have a M-Audio FastTrack Pro I'd like to keep using, from what I've read its compatible with both. Portability is important to me, as I want to be able to pack my rig into the car to mix bands at their rehearsal space if possible, its just too much trouble with my giant PC tower. So that being said, I'm on the fence between an iMac and a Mac Mini. On paper, the Mac Mini seems to meet my needs, and the price is right. I've been lead to believe that even though the horsepower is less than I'm used to on my PC, its irrelevant because the Mac is "more efficient". So realistically, given what I what to do, would I be good with the Mini, or would I regret not springing for the iMac later?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What ever you do, at least wait a few weeks to see if the Mini gets updated at Mountain Lion's launch like it did last year.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gypsyshred posted:

I'm thinking about buying my first Mac. Expected usage is music production, Plex server, iOS stuff, and general web browsing/email/ect stuff. I plan to move my Windows rig to my living room and hook it up directly to the TV, while leaving the Mac in the bedroom. I'm used to two monitor extended desktops, so I'd like to keep that option open. I have a M-Audio FastTrack Pro I'd like to keep using, from what I've read its compatible with both. Portability is important to me, as I want to be able to pack my rig into the car to mix bands at their rehearsal space if possible, its just too much trouble with my giant PC tower. So that being said, I'm on the fence between an iMac and a Mac Mini. On paper, the Mac Mini seems to meet my needs, and the price is right. I've been lead to believe that even though the horsepower is less than I'm used to on my PC, its irrelevant because the Mac is "more efficient". So realistically, given what I what to do, would I be good with the Mini, or would I regret not springing for the iMac later?
Eh, I'd say horsepower is horsepower to an extent (as long as you're comparing...comparable stuff and not just clockspeed), what are the specs of your rig? Also if you need to be portable, how about one of the MBA/MBPs? And yeah, wait a month or so if possible, rumors are pointing at something happening at the end of July (like maybe holding back iMacs and minis to launch with Mountain Lion). Otherwise if you can't wait I guess keep an eye out on Apple's refurb section for deals.

And factor a SSD into the budget, particularly with the mini cause the platter drive sucks, it's not too bad to install on your own.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

penneydude posted:

I ordered the first day too, and mine just ticked over to "preparing for shipment" today.

I'm still waiting.

Just in time for me to return the 8gb I picked up @ Best Buy

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I had no idea that new hardware was so soon, that's good to know. As far as my PC rig, I don't want to compare apples and oranges, as I intend them for different things. Its a semi custom gaming rig that I intend to still use for gaming and movies on the TV, OSX just looks more convenient for everything else. The heaviest lifting I expect to do is audio, multitrack mixing, low latency input for guitars, that kind of thing. The laptops are priced out of my budget, but throwing a mini, a keyboard, a mouse, and a monitor in the car shouldn't be that big of a deal. With a mini, how well does it support multiple monitors in extended desktop?

gypsyshred fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 26, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

spaceship posted:

I'm still waiting.

Just in time for me to return the 8gb I picked up @ Best Buy

If you really bought one at Best Buy to show off at Starbucks until your 'real' one came in from Apple...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone else have a 2011 iMac that frequently drops the wireless signal? I've called Apple and my ISP and neither seems to help. It's super annoying.