Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Giblet posted:

The post you quoted text of mine in no way suggests a nexus over a gs3. They both use ICS and would have the same apps available to them.

Every time Samsung releases a new phone this stupid debate comes up. And while the phones are definitely improving, software support still won't be there. His point stands, it's not like the Epic Touch has ICS yet, and considering it was a flagship phone it really should have got it by now. Meanwhile, the sprint nexus got I back in early April (and tht was considered extremely late). So yeah, I think Samsung has established themselves as a company tht will put current customers on the back burner to sell a new product, and if people are ok or don't care, good for you, but I won't be using or recommending them in this thread (unless I get a free one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

Duckman2008 posted:

Every time Samsung releases a new phone this stupid debate comes up. And while the phones are definitely improving, software support still won't be there. His point stands, it's not like the Epic Touch has ICS yet, and considering it was a flagship phone it really should have got it by now. Meanwhile, the sprint nexus got I back in early April (and tht was considered extremely late). So yeah, I think Samsung has established themselves as a company tht will put current customers on the back burner to sell a new product, and if people are ok or don't care, good for you, but I won't be using or recommending them in this thread (unless I get a free one).

What I was saying is that the nexus would have the same issue with apps that don't have ICS support yet. My quote was taken as something that only effects the gs3.

I have never tried to say that one phone is fully superior to another. I just think the arguments against the gs3 are unfounded and its a phone at least worth looking at. It has its positives and negatives just like any other phone but the negatives don't render it a doorstop as some seem to think it is.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Giblet posted:

What I was saying is that the nexus would have the same issue with apps that don't have ICS support yet. My quote was taken as something that only effects the gs3.

I have never tried to say that one phone is fully superior to another. I just think the arguments against the gs3 are unfounded and its a phone at least worth looking at. It has its positives and negatives just like any other phone but the negatives don't render it a doorstop as some seem to think it is.

While I am a firm supporter of going with a Nexus, the GS3 should be one of the top selling phones of the year. So the ROM community should be pretty awesome. A GS3 running MIUI > Nexus running MIUI.

That said you should never have to root to get the phone you want.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

nate fisher posted:

While I am a firm supporter of going with a Nexus, the GS3 should be one of the top selling phones of the year. So the ROM community should be pretty awesome. A GS3 running MIUI > Nexus running MIUI.
Sure, I do expect the nexus, evo4glte, and gs3 to all have solid dev communities now, but unless you're one to buy new phones outright annually, consider the driver support 10 months from now. A Nexus running AOSP 5.0 > a GS3 running 'CM11 KEY LIME PIE alpha14.h-2 <no camera/lte/bt> ***SEE SECOND POST FOR 3G FIX***'.

I'm on this same fence between the nexus and evo, but knowing how long I'm likely to keep a phone and how annoying it's been waiting for ICS on the optimus, I'm probably going to save my $50.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

WoG posted:

Sure, I do expect the nexus, evo4glte, and gs3 to all have solid dev communities now, but unless you're one to buy new phones outright annually, consider the driver support 10 months from now. A Nexus running AOSP 5.0 > a GS3 running 'CM11 KEY LIME PIE alpha14.h-2 <no camera/lte/bt> ***SEE SECOND POST FOR 3G FIX***'.

I'm on this same fence between the nexus and evo, but knowing how long I'm likely to keep a phone and how annoying it's been waiting for ICS on the optimus, I'm probably going to save my $50.

Good point that I overlooked.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

Sure, I do expect the nexus, evo4glte, and gs3 to all have solid dev communities now, but unless you're one to buy new phones outright annually, consider the driver support 10 months from now.
Folks willing to custom ROM are probably going to be alright. It's lame that, for example, the E4GT doesn't have an official ICS update yet, but there's been a steady stream of leaks since the Spring and custom ROMs are kept updated with those proprietaries. Also, much of the CM9 brokenness with older devices was due to pretty significant API/ABI breakage in the HAL layer. JB shouldn't have that problem to the same degree.

In the end, I agree. For my purposes, the SGS3 is a lot more exciting hardware-wise than the Galaxy Nexus that I'd be willing to put up with stupid for it. My recommendation would be to sit back for a little while and see how the Galaxy Nexus, Evo LTE, and SGS3 actually shake out when Sprint lights up their LTE network.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My recommendation would be to sit back for a little while and see how the Galaxy Nexus, Evo LTE, and SGS3 actually shake out when Sprint lights up their LTE network.

For many people, that could be a year or 2 away.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Or never I swear :(

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

I mean when Sprint's LTE network is available for general subscriber use and reports of LTE performance/weirdness becomes available on a wider scale than those of engadget "sneak previews".

I suppose if it might really take a full upgrade cycle for LTE to come to your neck of the woods, then it doesn't matter. But for those who are a "year out", hedging on a device that doesn't have horrible LTE performance (if any of them do) might be worthwhile.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
The Nexus has been reported as "laggy" compared to the SGS3 in recent reviews. That alone is enough to make me shy away from the Nexus. I need a phone that's going to last more than a year and I think the best bet for future-proofing is the superior hardware of the the SGS3.

What phone are you guys referring to when you say E4GT? The Evo 4G LTE?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The Nexus has been reported as "laggy" compared to the SGS3 in recent reviews. That alone is enough to make me shy away from the Nexus. I need a phone that's going to last more than a year and I think the best bet for future-proofing is the superior hardware of the the SGS3.

My nexus has one or two bugs, lag isn't one of them.

Issues with the phone:
-when the alarm goes off and you try to turn it off, phone crashes
-RDio can be crash a lot
-battery is not as good as the GSM version.

If you want a galaxy 3, then buy it. Just dont expect software updates.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I was driving between Austin and Dallas this weekend, and there was a short stretch near Waco (around mile 345 on I-35) where the 4G indicator on my Evo LTE was showing. I noticed it when I had to stop at the rest area for my dog, and I stayed around a while helping someone who was stranded and needed to use my car to charge her phone. When I looked at mine, I was surprised to see the 4G status showing. I was more confused than anything else, so I didn't even think to try a speedtest on my phone.

On the drive back last night, around that same spot, my phone interrupted its music play or blinked my charge light or something at me just long enough for me to notice it was doing something (screen was off). I popped it on to see what was happening, and saw the 4G icon. When I looked to see where I was, I realized it was the same bit of highway as on Friday night. They must have an LTE test area set up there. (For anyone driving there, check out the "Picnic area" rest stop around that mile marker, by the haunted house).

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

My nexus has one or two bugs, lag isn't one of them.

Issues with the phone:
-when the alarm goes off and you try to turn it off, phone crashes
-RDio can be crash a lot
-battery is not as good as the GSM version.

Owned Sprint GNex since launch:
1. Never had that happen, are you using stock alarm?

2. Never used that app, Spotify works great on ICS btw.

3. Possibly? Never used GSM Nexus.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Duckman2008 posted:

I plan on rooting as soon as I get it. I never expect updates to phones I've purchased, so I don't hold it against manufacturers for not providing them. I'm still using an HTC Desire that's over 2 years old and I'm running ICS on it and it's smooth as silk - the last official update was a broken version of froyo.

Like someone said, you shouldn't have to root your phone to get one you want - but it's just a fact of the Android world. I've solved a number of friends and familys issues with phones by rooting and installing a stock rom on them and it's like a whole new phone. My sister was ready to buy an iphone before I rooted and installed a stock rom on her Desire.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Like someone said, you shouldn't have to root your phone to get one you want - but it's just a fact of the Android world.

This has come up a number of times, and I still don't see what it means.

The phone I want doesn't exist. You don't have to root anything to use it as intended. Rooting/jailbreaking/etc allows you to do more with any phone.

No matter how I parse that aphorism, it's only a complaint against device manufacturers, not advice to a consumer, but everyone is slinging it around here as exactly that.

WoG fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 25, 2012

rratnip
Oct 5, 2004

nate fisher posted:

That said you should never have to root to get the phone you want.

This is the reason I have such a hard time understanding the Nexus-love. Any average consumer is going to be just-as-well or better served with a mainstream phone, and to me the enthusiast community would appear to be better served going with a large market share superphone and relying upon the dev community. The hardware on the Nexus is decent but outdated. Unless you are extremely risk-averse, why go with a Nexus?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WoG posted:

This has come up a number of times, and I still don't see what it means.

The phone I want doesn't exist. You don't have to root anything to use it as intended. Rooting/jailbreaking/etc allows you to do more with any phone.

No matter how I parse that aphorism, it's only a complaint against device manufacturers, not advice to a consumer, but everyone is slinging it around here as exactly that.

Many people on here will suggest that you root a phone to remove unwanted software, or to change phone behavior (such as the HTC multitasking issue), or to flash 3rd party roms to get rid of OEM customization etc.

Those are things that you shouldn't need to do, and that is what people mean when they say that you shouldn't have to root a phone to make it work the way that you want.

rratnip posted:

This is the reason I have such a hard time understanding the Nexus-love. Any average consumer is going to be just-as-well or better served with a mainstream phone, and to me the enthusiast community would appear to be better served going with a large market share superphone and relying upon the dev community. The hardware on the Nexus is decent but outdated. Unless you are extremely risk-averse, why go with a Nexus?

WoG summed it up best

WoG posted:

Nexus running AOSP 5.0 > a GS3 running 'CM11 KEY LIME PIE alpha14.h-2 <no camera/lte/bt> ***SEE SECOND POST FOR 3G FIX***'.

Some of us are just tired of fighting with our phones to make them work properly and be able to run the latest and greatest version of Android.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 25, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

This has come up a number of times, and I still don't see what it means. ... You don't have to root anything to use it as intended.
In the past, Android devices have often shipped with broken features and horrible bugs out of the box. Indeed there's a number of cases where you did have to root a device and apply a fix in order to use it "as intended" as it simply didn't work otherwise. Although there's many culprits here, reliable GPS support is probably the best example.

That said, high-end phones released in the past year have generally worked correctly out of the box. Thus, the general recommendation is to get a device that works well with the least amount of futzing. But there's still folks who are OK with futzing and really just want the best (or simply different) hardware than what might be easiest to put up with out of the box.

rratnip posted:

Any average consumer is going to be just-as-well or better served with a mainstream phone,
Assuming these mainstream devices aren't bug ridden pieces of poo poo. Historically Nexus devices were a safe bet on not being pieces of poo poo. However, it seems the Evo 3D and E4GT have turned out to be pretty rasonable, particularly if you don't make any attempt to futz with them. In contrast, while Nexus device have historically been pretty top notch, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus has had its share of growing pains.

rratnip posted:

and to me the enthusiast community would appear to be better served going with a large market share superphone and relying upon the dev community.
Well here's the issue. Nexus devices automatically have a leg up on all others by virtue of Google providing source-based support for them in AOSP, so it's rather easy to start building source-based (CM/AOSP) custom ROMs for them.

In contrast, third-party manufactured devices require a good deal of hacking to get source-based support, and even then, many low-level components (e.g., HAL libraries) are still borrowed from manufacturer ROMs. This was a particular problem for ICS and CM9. The devices that could be initially supported were Nexus devices, and "Nexus offshoots" like the Galaxy S line. All other devices were (are) blocked on folks hacking up HAL support from scratch, or pulling proprietaries from official or leaked ICS updates.

In short, community support of Nexus devices is simple, and third party devices are complicated and cumbersome. It made sense to put in the effort on third-party devices in the past, since Nexus devices were traditionally only available on GSM carriers. But now with Nexus on every carrier, there's less motivation to waste time on third-party devices, particularly when they're different across international and (each) US carrier, and thus, there's fewer opportunities for teamwork. At least, that was the situation as of late 2011.

Where things are now changing a bit is that, while the GSM/UMTS Galaxy Nexus is still awesome, the CDMA variants are slightly less awesome (more bugs, less complete AOSP support). Meanwhile, the US market is being flooded with interesting new hardware (Krait-based devices), the HTC One series, and the Galaxy S III, which as far as we can tell, are similar to both each other and across carriers. This makes for a relatively interesting development opportunity, but unless you want to dive in on that yourself, I'd wait around a bit and see what happens over the next few months.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The way I describe it is how gracefully Nexuses age compared to their counterparts, excluding non-OTA updates. The NS4G has extremely similar specs to the Epic 4G, but the Epic is a gibbering, laggy, stuttering mess now while the NS4G has ICS and is as chipper as ever.

Android updates often contain improvements to performance in things like battery life and browsing, etc. In addition to the quicker updates (which is not necessarily the main draw) the improvements with updates and the lack of performance overhead from things like Sense or Touchwiz are actually desirable traits considering contracts are 22 months instead of 12. I was loving miserable with my Evo 3D and wished I'd just gotten an NS4G instead. Since I bought my NS4G off-contract, I had the opportunity to do a side by side comparison between the NS4G and the 3D. The NS4G was having no problem at all keeping up with the 3D, and it had hardware from the original Nexus S while the 3D had a dual core processor and more RAM.

More or less, you really start noticing the performance hit with the branded customizations as the phone ages and apps get more demanding. People will know when their phone slows down and gets sluggish and heats up, it isn't like they're oblivious to performance. They might not give half a poo poo about rooting and flashing but they definitely notice laggy menus and a slow browser.

e: Maybe the HTC One and GS3 are futureproofed enough to break that habit, though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I still think a lot of it is people like me who were burned by the community support on the Evo 3D. The 4G was a very good phone even stock, and the community support for it made it a great phone. The Evo 3D looked even better on paper thanks to the more powerful hardware, but because the Evo 3D community is utter dogshit, the improvements over the stock E3D only became truly substantial once the Virgin Mobile ICS leak happened.

So I guess...you shouldn't have to root your device to get the device you want. Unfortunately for some you do have to, but after getting burned on the E3D, I'm going to make sure every phone I get from now on does what I want, how I want, even with zero community support.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jensen posted:

Owned Sprint GNex since launch:
1. Never had that happen, are you using stock alarm?

2. Never used that app, Spotify works great on ICS btw.

3. Possibly? Never used GSM Nexus.

Stock alarm, both myself and my fiancé have the problem off and on.

Spotify's android app in general blows, the interface for RDio is better. Personal preference, but I'm not switching from RDio.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Has anyone seen this happen before? I get it about twice a month. After 5 minutes of charging it was back to 100%. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm running ICS or GB (Evo 3D).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

blargle posted:

Has anyone seen this happen before? I get it about twice a month. After 5 minutes of charging it was back to 100%. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm running ICS or GB (Evo 3D).

Looks like it keeps recalibrating. I don't know if the E3D battery has any hardware in it to regulate charging and whatnot, but it would explain its continuance from GB to ICS.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009

blargle posted:

I've had this happen before on a custom ROM (same phone). No idea what caused it, but it's a near-perfect reflection of my experience.

All I can recall is that my UI was crashing really bad, and I think my phone ended up doing a cold reset.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Got the Galaxy Nexus in today. I love ICS on the phone. Camera's pretty nice, too.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Duckman2008 posted:

Or never I swear :(

I don't want to hear anything, considering the fact that Omaha's WIMAX network consisted of one tower in a one block radius. And we still aren't on their LTE plan as far as I can tell. We're the biggest city closest to KC too....

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Here in Knoxville my wife can get WIMAX downtown sometimes, but it is spotty. So much that she hasn't turned on WIMAX in months. Just not worth it at all. Last I looked the Sprint map never even showed us with WIMAX. It is like they was thinking about installing it, but stopped in the middle of it.

So I have very little hope of seeing LTE in the next 2 years. On top of that I live in the suburbs of Knoxville, so by the time I see coverage at home my youngest could be out of high school. I guess I can take whatever phone with LTE I have at the time and use it when I visit Atlanta.

Come on Sprint prove me wrong...I dare you!

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.
Sigh...

http://phandroid.com/2012/06/26/htc-evo-3d-ics-update-rolls-out-in-emea-sprint-users-cry/

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

And this is why we root. gently caress carrier bullshit. Been running ICS bug free for weeks now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

It is like they was thinking about installing it, but stopped in the middle of it.
There hasn't been any significant expansion of the Sprint/Clear WiMAX network since December 2010.

What we've been seeing since then are spectrum protection sites, basically tiny WiMAX cells that popup in places not on Sprint's coverage map (although they might be on Clear's), intended to provide a minimum level of service so that Sprint/Clear can maintain their minimum service obligations in the various geographical areas they hold 2.5 GHz band licenses. Basically they're bullshit.

nate fisher posted:

So I have very little hope of seeing LTE in the next 2 years.
It's hard to say how well Network Vision and Sprint's LTE rollout is going to stay on schedule, but I wouldn't use their WiMAX rollout as much of an indication on how that's going to go. To be honest, Sprint/Clear was doing a pretty decent job of rolling out WiMAX in 2010 until they pulled the plug on it, but they had a solid pace for a while.

I think I recall past EVDO network upgrades going reasonable well, although the benefits were more subtle. I guess the real issue is whether Sprint will have enough cash to see the upgrades go through timely, but I don't think there's any other particular barrier than that.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There hasn't been any significant expansion of the Sprint/Clear WiMAX network since December 2010.

What we've been seeing since then are spectrum protection sites, basically tiny WiMAX cells that popup in places not on Sprint's coverage map (although they might be on Clear's), intended to provide a minimum level of service so that Sprint/Clear can maintain their minimum service obligations in the various geographical areas they hold 2.5 GHz band licenses. Basically they're bullshit.

It's hard to say how well Network Vision and Sprint's LTE rollout is going to stay on schedule, but I wouldn't use their WiMAX rollout as much of an indication on how that's going to go. To be honest, Sprint/Clear was doing a pretty decent job of rolling out WiMAX in 2010 until they pulled the plug on it, but they had a solid pace for a while.

I think I recall past EVDO network upgrades going reasonable well, although the benefits were more subtle. I guess the real issue is whether Sprint will have enough cash to see the upgrades go through timely, but I don't think there's any other particular barrier than that.

No idea about the spectrum protection sites. Sounds like what happen in Knoxville.

I guess my question is will LTE just be a city only thing for the first couple of years or will it ever make it to the suburbs? For example I think I saw Nashville on the LTE rollout list. So when they rollout in Nashville does that mean only the city gets it and not the suburbs of Nashville?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

I guess my question is will LTE just be a city only thing for the first couple of years or will it ever make it to the suburbs?
Not sure if we really know yet. But if it's similar to the 2010 WiMAX rollouts (which yeah, I said earlier not to compare against, but I think it's OK here) when they've deployed to a particular city, they usually mean to that city's "market" which includes suburbs.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Stock alarm, both myself and my fiancé have the problem off and on.

Spotify's android app in general blows, the interface for RDio is better. Personal preference, but I'm not switching from RDio.

I use the stock alarm religiously on a MWF schedule and it's never once crashed since device launch. In fact, I can't recall the phone itself ever really having a crash. I've had some third party apps crash a few times, but that's about it. I don't think the phone has ever spontaneously rebooted on me that I can remember.

This is what kind of disgruntles me about stuff like this. I've had three Android phones now that I've all bought on launch where I read about all these seemingly bizarre issues with them that I never seem to experience. It makes me wonder if I'm winning hardware roulette or if it's because I'm generally knowledgeable about electronics and take care of them in such a way that I avoid the problems altogether.

But it's not like Duckman is a phone noob so I'm sure he's not lying about the alarm crashing. It's just... odd.

What don't you like about Spotify's Android app? Have you tried the all new re design that came out a few weeks ago?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

SpelledBackwards posted:

I was driving between Austin and Dallas this weekend, and there was a short stretch near Waco (around mile 345 on I-35) where the 4G indicator on my Evo LTE was showing. I noticed it when I had to stop at the rest area for my dog, and I stayed around a while helping someone who was stranded and needed to use my car to charge her phone. When I looked at mine, I was surprised to see the 4G status showing. I was more confused than anything else, so I didn't even think to try a speedtest on my phone.

On the drive back last night, around that same spot, my phone interrupted its music play or blinked my charge light or something at me just long enough for me to notice it was doing something (screen was off). I popped it on to see what was happening, and saw the 4G icon. When I looked to see where I was, I realized it was the same bit of highway as on Friday night. They must have an LTE test area set up there. (For anyone driving there, check out the "Picnic area" rest stop around that mile marker, by the haunted house).

Waco is the LTE FIT test market for the Ericsson region. In most of the Network Vision deployment areas they are turning on LTE for a few days/weeks to do their drive-around tests and whatnot, then Sprint shuts off access to it after that... Though some people were loading hacked PRLs to get around it which IIRC Sprint blocked again. No idea why they aren't just letting people use the towers as they come online. But the FIT test areas seem to be turned on permanently.

You can see the deployment maps, schedules, etc over at s4gru.com but basically Sprint is deploying market-by-market so for example the DFW market includes all the way east to Canton so even the internstate and small towns that way are getting LTE as part of this market but much larger Tyler is in the East Texas market which is in a later round.

We are all waiting to see what towers actually get turned on in June since this is the month where rollout speed should be ramping up significantly. If towers continue to trickle out it means something is going wrong that is delaying the deployments.

For the record they have upgraded about 1,000 towers out of 36,000. We should be just about at the point where 1,000 towers a month are coming online.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

For the record they have upgraded about 1,000 towers out of 36,000. We should be just about at the point where 1,000 towers a month are coming online.

So far the snag seems to be backhaul issues, and not actual tower work. They are blazing through getting the towers upgraded, but when it comes to backhaul - not so much.

edit - On another topic, anyone have input on the LG Viper 4G LTE? It's free on contract now and it would be a great option for my Dad or sister who are reluctant to drop $200 on a high end phone they really don't need.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 26, 2012

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

choonagephatbeat posted:

Happens everywhere, which is leading me to believe it is the phone. I was in Minneapolis the past 6 days and had the "texts never arriving" syndrome in full effect.

My signal at home is usually quite nice, 4-6 bars consistent, hovering between -60 and -80 dBm

I currently live in downtown denver.

I can second how obnoxious this is. I had texted him earlier in the day and just went over there after not hearing from him all day, and was sitting there drinking a beer when a text I had sent him came in. I live across the street and neither me or my girlfriend have any problems like this. I have been in his house and gotten texts on my evo 3d, no problems whatsoever.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, I have to update the OP. They killed that retentions number fyi, which made me weep. I thought I had one, but so far no dice.

If anyone actually finds a legit retentions number, please post it.

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I saw this on the Consumerist today:
http://consumerist.com/2012/06/the-sprint-consumerist-hotline-is-alive-and-well.html

quote:

The Sprint Consumerist Hotline, a direct line to the has been one of our staple resources in the fight for competent customer service. A few weeks ago, though, some readers reported to us that it had been disconnected. Nooooo! We checked in with Sprint to see what happened to the hotline, and obtained a fresh new number for you to use. Bonus: it's toll-free.

A spokesman tells us that the extension was lost in a reconfiguration of the lines, but you can get right in touch with the Escalations group (executive customer service, we like to call it) at 866-561-0035.

Either way, I didn't see the number in the OP...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

No idea about the spectrum protection sites. Sounds like what happen in Knoxville.

I guess my question is will LTE just be a city only thing for the first couple of years or will it ever make it to the suburbs? For example I think I saw Nashville on the LTE rollout list. So when they rollout in Nashville does that mean only the city gets it and not the suburbs of Nashville?

As a former Tennessee friend, I was in Nashville for the wimax rollout. And basically, they hit the city plus surrounding suburbs, wimax in Nashville goes as far east as I think LaVergne for instance.

brc64 posted:

I don't know if this is the same thing or not, but I saw this on the Consumerist today:
http://consumerist.com/2012/06/the-sprint-consumerist-hotline-is-alive-and-well.html

Either way, I didn't see the number in the OP...

If this works you are a God send. I have been dying for a retentions number again.

Jensen posted:

I use the stock alarm religiously on a MWF schedule and it's never once crashed since device launch. In fact, I can't recall the phone itself ever really having a crash. I've had some third party apps crash a few times, but that's about it. I don't think the phone has ever spontaneously rebooted on me that I can remember.

This is what kind of disgruntles me about stuff like this. I've had three Android phones now that I've all bought on launch where I read about all these seemingly bizarre issues with them that I never seem to experience. It makes me wonder if I'm winning hardware roulette or if it's because I'm generally knowledgeable about electronics and take care of them in such a way that I avoid the problems altogether.

But it's not like Duckman is a phone noob so I'm sure he's not lying about the alarm crashing. It's just... odd.

What don't you like about Spotify's Android app? Have you tried the all new re design that came out a few weeks ago?

The alarm issue is weird, hell if I know.

My issue with spotify is it is very poor on sorting and organizing by albums, last I checked (I just tried it again,but I think before the redisgn). Either way, beyond the fact that nobody on earth uses RDio so forget sharing with friends, I like RDio a lot.

Ender.uNF posted:

Waco is the LTE FIT test market for the Ericsson region. In most of the Network Vision deployment areas they are turning on LTE for a few days/weeks to do their drive-around tests and whatnot, then Sprint shuts off access to it after that... Though some people were loading hacked PRLs to get around it which IIRC Sprint blocked again. No idea why they aren't just letting people use the towers as they come online. But the FIT test areas seem to be turned on permanently.

You can see the deployment maps, schedules, etc over at s4gru.com but basically Sprint is deploying market-by-market so for example the DFW market includes all the way east to Canton so even the internstate and small towns that way are getting LTE as part of this market but much larger Tyler is in the East Texas market which is in a later round.

We are all waiting to see what towers actually get turned on in June since this is the month where rollout speed should be ramping up significantly. If towers continue to trickle out it means something is going wrong that is delaying the deployments.

Really great info. Local question, but have you heard anything on the Philly market? The only thing I heard was an ETA of 100% completion a year from now, and it was vague.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I sold my Evo on ebay running cynanogen and the recipient is claiming sprint won't activate it. Activating ebay phones I've bought involved calling sprint, giving them the ESN and that was it. What could be the problem here? If he's going to a store for some reason will they notice sense is missing and become unhelpful?