Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot
Touch Spidey Get Dizzy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm finally biting and picking UMvC3 up for PS3 (no Xbox). I tried getting the guide online but saw it going for $60+ everywhere. Is it rare or something? Finally found it at a Gamestop about an hour away, but I'll make the drive to save $40.

PSN Static_Rook

for some free wins. Can't wait to get destroyed in upcoming tournaments!

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Interesting that the guides are going for that much. Hopefully Bradygames will take notice and continue having high-level players write their content, because the vanilla and Ultimate guides were both really, really handy.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
I got it on Amazon and that's sold out but it looks like their site still has it? http://www.bradygames.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0744013542

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
OK so I was tooling around in training mode last night with my main team of Wesker/Doom/Strider, and I was trying to learn some 1 touch kill combos. After about an hour I figured out that there is no way to do this without doing an air exchange combo into Doom. Wesker has way too much hitstun scaling on his combos.

So now I'd like to ask some of you experienced Doom players for some combos to work on. I don't have MarlinPie's exection so something simple is preferable. M&Ms or whatever. I also need to be able to hit TK air plasma beam xx Photon Array or OTG s.M xx Sphere Flame or something at the end because I know that I'll need it after all the damage scaling.

Also any reset ideas would be nice. Right now I'm practicing Wesker resets because he can easily KO a character in 2 combos no problem. However I'd like to step up my game and start using exchange combos for the first time so that I have more tools to use.

Thanks!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
At the end of a combo, OTG gunshot and then call strider and teleport. Voila, instant reset.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Jmcrofts posted:

At the end of a combo, OTG gunshot and then call strider and teleport. Voila, instant reset.

Yeah that's one I found pretty easily. I also go for an air throw at the same time instead of teleporting. If I get the air throw, great. If they break away then Strider hits them. If they block then they're grounded and I can command throw or hi-low mixup. I'll try telporting too. Which teleport should I use?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Static Rook posted:

I'm finally biting and picking UMvC3 up for PS3 (no Xbox). I tried getting the guide online but saw it going for $60+ everywhere. Is it rare or something? Finally found it at a Gamestop about an hour away, but I'll make the drive to save $40.

Yeah, I got one at Gamestop for $19.99 just a few months ago. It's weird that the brick-and-mortar places have it for cheaper than online.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Nice Yoshi's Island reference, Hawaiian Shirt.

The guide is $20 now? I think I paid about $16 shipped for mine. It was pretty heavily discounted when preordered.

Some dudes made an android app for a dollar with all the frame data in it. I don't have any android stuff so I can't check it out but you could if you can't find a guide.

Also, there are a lot of decent videos for how to play characters available on youtube so the guide isn't as necessary as it was.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Didn't realize that this was the 40th post on the last page.

Thursday June 28th 9PmEst/6PMPst irc://irc.synirc.net/sa-mvc3 See you there.

:spidey:PS3:spidey:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ojyi88ecwh

:itjb:Xbox::itjb:
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/x37pjtv8sk

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I got the game on PS3 now I know the pain of PS3. The online on the PS3 is pretty much exactly the same as the 360. The killer is the system lag. Using Sent I did c.M rocket punch xx HSF then XFC and fly over to bop with j.S. The game lags with the HSF drones on the screen and Sent flying. It's terrible!

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I don't experience that much lag (360) but man am I awful at this game! The past two nights I've played about 30 or 40 games and I think I only won one. I can't really get set on a team either. I like Wolverine and Akuma a lot but I can't decide on my third. I tried out Dante for a bit but I can't pull off a bold cancel on my xbox controller so I'll probably try someone else. Suggestions? Leaning towards Wesker for the OTG gunshot. I like Sentinel too but only for his assist, I just get blown up when he's on point.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Wesker is a solid option, and Wolverine loves his OTG assist. Sentinel seems to be getting to be more of an acquired taste these days unfortunately, though I will never drop him myself. Dr. Doom perhaps? If you can do airdash cancels then you'll get great mileage out of him and he's really good in any position.

e: Alternatively, put Akuma in slot 3 then go hog wild because almost any character can make good use of his tatsu assist.

Metrohunter fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 24, 2012

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

The Dirtyness posted:

I like Wolverine and Akuma a lot but I can't decide on my third. I tried out Dante for a bit but I can't pull off a bold cancel on my xbox controller so I'll probably try someone else. Suggestions? Leaning towards Wesker for the OTG gunshot. I like Sentinel too but only for his assist, I just get blown up when he's on point.
Wolverine/Wesker/Akuma is the easiest option. OTG assist makes it easier to combo after an air throw and you can finish an air combo with assist into Tornado Claw xx Fatal Claw loop. There's also plenty of footage of Ricky Ortiz and Noel Brown (sometimes) playing the team.

Vergil works too because he almost always works on teams nowadays

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
So apparently Zero can carry on lightning loops from dante guns no matter where the opponent is on the screen. I feel dirty.

On a side note, I managed to make a bnb with deadpool that has him taunting 3 times (and is a legitimate combo).

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
I looked up some relatively simple Doom TAC combos and started trying to learn them. So now in addition to not being able to do the Clock loop consistently I have another combo I can drop after the first few hits.

:(

edit: :doom:

Dandy J
May 17, 2003

macro machines
3rding wolverine/wes/akuma. If wolverine dies you can just run xfl2 wes/akuma w/ otg gunshot into team super which will kill basically anyone. And really if any of that team is by themselves they can make a comeback happen.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
poo poo, he could even just play Noel Brown's team of Wolverine/Frank West/Wesker. That's an excellent team and there are shitloads of match videos he can watch to learn how to play it.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Trish TAC infinites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1gtPJJ8ZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4pA6WPSQ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3jxG6aGnw

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl
OK so this is a good time to ask this: How do the different exchanges affect combos? I had no idea that up exchange was somehow different from side exchange and so on. Can someone please explain?

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Erik The Viking posted:

OK so this is a good time to ask this: How do the different exchanges affect combos? I had no idea that up exchange was somehow different from side exchange and so on. Can someone please explain?

Down exchange uses a ground bounce I believe, side exchange uses wall bounce, and up exchange resets your hit stun. Also the position of where you start the combo changes.

Erik The Viking
Apr 12, 2012

by Fistgrrl

2MB posted:

Down exchange uses a ground bounce I believe, side exchange uses wall bounce, and up exchange resets your hit stun. Also the position of where you start the combo changes.

OK so most people use an up exchange?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Erik The Viking posted:

OK so most people use an up exchange?

Down exchange gives you a bar of hyper meter, side exchange takes away a bar from your opponent(which is handy if your opponent is relying on Dark Phoenix), and up exchange resets the hit stun.

Boobs is Fun!
Jun 25, 2005

KaneBlueRiver
The Chilean Sensation
#1 Hulk/Haggar in the World
Are you guys sure about the hitstun thing on up tag? I thought it was just positioning which affected the viability of a few combos like nova's elevator down, and like haggar's swing I think?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
All exchanges reset hitstun to an extent. Up exchange uses no bounces and also adds a 50% damage boost. There was also a glitch in Fate of Two Worlds that let you stack multiple of these boosts on the same character by landing and relaunching into new TACs.

edit: The glitch wasn't actually that you could stack the boosts, it's that combined with the DHC glitch we could measure the boosts on single hits without having to compensate for combo damage scaling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8RNLDx0XGs

180k damage launcher :aaaaa:

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 25, 2012

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
All exchanges make hitstun decay go away completely until the attacker touches the ground, then all the previous decay is reinstated. This property is what lets you do nutso fly combos after an exchange, these combos are typically only limited by fly durations and altitude for staircase-style loops.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been jumping between UMVC3, KOFXIII, SF4AE, and VF5FS (I went on a fighting game binge), and it seems like I have the hardest time pulling off DP and FB motions consistently in Marvel. Like I have to make more exaggerated motions on the stick to get the movements to trigger. Which is weird, because I've completed some of the hardest trials in KOFXIII, but I'm having trouble with Marvel's.

It has been a total of three days I've been playing it though, so I probably just don't have the feel of the game yet.

My noobish noob team of suck is Deadpool, Chris, Akuma. Pool and Chris work well zoning together, and Akuma's Tatsu assist is extremely useful. Pool builds meter, Chris uses it, and Akuma (theoretically) can save my rear end with Lv3 X Factor. I held my own against a couple of low level people like me, then got creamed by a Zero May Cry team, ah well. I signed up for the tournament on Thursday so everyone can see how horrible I am, hooray!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is Wolverine's tornado claw xx fatal claw loop possible off his OTG with Dante's Jam Session holding them in place? Jam session holds people a little higher than, say, Wesker Gunshot OTG, but I'm not sure if it's my execution or just something that can't happen. I can get one tornado claw xx fatal claw to connect, but the second is a no-go.

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande
Are they recovering in the air before you hit the second Tornado Claw? Hitstun decay might be too high from the Dante assist since it adds like 10 hits.

I've been trying to put together a new team. I was running Nova/Taskmaster or Doom/Akuma before, but I'm trying to build a team around Vergil (rapid slash) and Nova (centurion rush). I can't really figure out who to put as an anchor. Wesker is the easy-mode option, but I can't see much utility for his assist since both Vergil and Nova can convert off their OTGs. I know Doom is a capable anchor and his beam assist is awesome, but how would a Task anchor do? I'm also open to other ideas.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
So my friend and I ended up playing some guy running Chris/MODOK/Wright and wow. Both his Chris and MODOK were nuts (I've never seen so many analyze cubes) but he played Wright just like everyone else and tried to get into Turnabout blahblahblah.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Boxman posted:

Is Wolverine's tornado claw xx fatal claw loop possible off his OTG with Dante's Jam Session holding them in place? Jam session holds people a little higher than, say, Wesker Gunshot OTG, but I'm not sure if it's my execution or just something that can't happen. I can get one tornado claw xx fatal claw to connect, but the second is a no-go.

Them being really high is actually good unless they're so high that they bounce around on top of the Fatal Claw (in which case you don't get max dmg). Them being high gives you more time to link the next tornado claw.

I haven't tried Fatal Claw loop with Jam Session but one test you can do is to try to hit them with a c.L or an L as they drop out of the Fatal Claw instead of connecting the tornado claw. If you can hit them with the c.L or the L then you can hit them with the next tornado claw. You're using tornado claw L and not mashing it, right?

It's definitely not that you're running out of hitstun b/c of Jam Session doing extra hits. Fatal Claw causes hard knockdown which means that when they fall out of it they won't tech until they hit the ground. It always does this no matter how far into the combo you are which is why the Fatal Claw loop works.

Captain combat bear
Aug 15, 2009

by T. Finninho
So I was about to buy crack and buy this but what are the chances that Capcom will make a supper ultimate mega turbo MvC 3 soon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain combat bear posted:

So I was about to buy crack and buy this but what are the chances that Capcom will make a supper ultimate mega turbo MvC 3 soon.

Go ahead and make your purchase. Pretty sure, for the time being, Marvel 3 is safe from Capcom Sequelitis.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Inspired by the Trish infinite, here's a Magneto one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-85IvhlWXk

Justin thinking that any character with an 8-way airdash can do something like this so he wants to work on Storm

edit: Tweet from MrWizard in response to Justin and others thinking TAC infinites should be banned "TAC infinites in Marvel will be allowed for Evo! Get to practicing!"

iPodschun fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 26, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Does Hawkeye have any combos at all aside from his regular BnB? I can manage to do a reset with Dante's jamming, but that's about it. :(

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

iPodschun posted:

Inspired by the Trish infinite, here's a Magneto one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-85IvhlWXk

Justin thinking that any character with an 8-way airdash can do something like this so he wants to work on Storm

edit: Tweet from MrWizard in response to Justin and others thinking TAC infinites should be banned "TAC infinites in Marvel will be allowed for Evo! Get to practicing!"

Both this and the Trish infinite work without the THC, the THC just sets up the proper spacing, correct? Or are they doing some funky thing so that after the THC hitstun decay is never reinstated?

Edit: I guess the current theory is you have to be on the ground for a certain number of frames for hitstun decay to be reinstated after a TAC, leave the ground quick enough each time you touch it and you get decay-less combos.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 26, 2012

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I was pretty sure the opponent had to hit the ground for scaling to kick back in?

Mr. Fun fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 26, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Krad posted:

Does Hawkeye have any combos at all aside from his regular BnB? I can manage to do a reset with Dante's jamming, but that's about it. :(

You can do net and poison arrow combos with the right assists and in XF-3 you can relaunch with his forward + M twice for a million damage with the slide combo. If you play Jill or Skrull you can do some things too

http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/05/ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-living-legend-hawkeye-combo-video/

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Mr. Fun posted:

I was pretty sure the opponent had to hit the ground for scaling to kick back in?

I don't have the game to check but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, it would be pretty easy to test though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I don't have the game to check but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case, it would be pretty easy to test though.

I just did a sentinel h jump loop once and I'm an extreme baddie. Timing was drat near impossible. It looks like the hitstun scaling rapidly increases in proportion with how long you are on the ground?

It went like this: h -> fly -> l -> h -> unfly -> h -> land and immediately jump -> repeat.

Can someone with better execution confirm? I was using magneto launcher into h -> addf exchange down.

• Locked thread