Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

I've never actually bruised anything falling while wearing hockey gear.. I didn't buy expensive pants but I guess bought ones good enough to take some falls. :iiam:

And my balance off skates is fairly good. It just goes to poo poo when I'm standing on razor blades.

Every few weeks I'll fall on my trochanter and it really hurts for a couple of days.

Got a lot better when I got better pants though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Dangerllama posted:

Most people who try to "cross over" wind up just doing a weird crab walk because they never get the outside edge of their inside skate set.

It's not an immediate motion either. Thats what I got caught up on. Like, glide on the outside of one, then slowly switch and glide on the inside of the next, then the other again. Pace yourself.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

xzzy posted:

And my balance off skates is fairly good. It just goes to poo poo when I'm standing on razor blades.

I'm the opposite of this. :saddowns:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
What I get from reading this thread is that I really need to analyze my techniques when winter comes around... I have no idea if I do crossovers correctly, I just always assumed I did

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Thufir posted:

Every few weeks I'll fall on my trochanter and it really hurts for a couple of days.

Got a lot better when I got better pants though.

Yeah, I've done that a few times. Hurts like hell. And yeah I could use a better pair of pants.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002

Anders posted:

What I get from reading this thread is that I really need to analyze my techniques when winter comes around... I have no idea if I do crossovers correctly, I just always assumed I did

Find a local adult power skating class if you can they will correct all your form and eliminate your "weak" side. You will spend about 70% of your time on cross overs.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Petit.Conan posted:

Find a local adult power skating class if you can they will correct all your form and eliminate your "weak" side. You will spend about 70% of your time on cross overs.

Yhea... power skating classes don't exist here. Ice rinks either. I have to cross the border into Sweden to find decent gear at decent prices.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gio posted:

Yeah, I've done that a few times. Hurts like hell. And yeah I could use a better pair of pants.

I will fall on my trochanter, yes. Usually when I am trying to do outside edge drills, if I am falling I do a decent job of tucking in time to take it elsewhere. Nonetheless, the only time I will fall on the tro is trying to balance like that.

Also, Vapor X40 pants, so not poo poo pants, but yeah, not top of the line either.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Eh, you don't really need top of the line pants to get protection. A lot of guys don't like the bulky feel of pants with a lot of padding.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Find someone who is a really strong skater to watch you and tell you what your doing wrong then I guess. I just find I'm pretty terrible at dissecting what I'm doing wrong in my own skating form.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

Eh, you don't really need top of the line pants to get protection. A lot of guys don't like the bulky feel of pants with a lot of padding.

Yeah, my EQ30's make me look like a tank but I'm also protected like a tank. Never having had anything thinner, it doesn't really bother me.

I am thinking of new shin guards this summer though, putting the ones I have now over the tongue really bulks up my legs and I'm not a fan of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Petit.Conan posted:

Find someone who is a really strong skater to watch you and tell you what your doing wrong then I guess. I just find I'm pretty terrible at dissecting what I'm doing wrong in my own skating form.

This is a comedy all its own because every single "strong skater" who's stopped to give me tips gives slightly different advice, and quite often tells me to ignore some other bit of advice I was given.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Petit.Conan posted:

I'm prolly, with the exception of my dad, the strongest hockey skater around (small place, non-hockey nation, says more about everyone else etc. There are some old speed skaters around though) so I don't really have that option.

I don't do anything wrong, but I might do everything better. I just need to analyze if I do apply pressure with both skates when I do crossovers etc. I've always just done them, without ever thinking about how I do them.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

We had 7 skaters on Saturday night until the 2nd period. Our team was dead last in the standings of 16 teams and beat them pretty handily. We were even missing a few of our best skaters too. Even though 7 skaters is a bit extreme, I like running a shorter bench with only 2 wing lines. I think my legs stay more fresh that way, since I'm not sitting for 6 minutes at a time.

You play in Roseville, right? Let me know if you ever foresee yourselves needing a sub or something, I usually work out there on weekends. And I'll be moving out there soon!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

JetsGuy posted:

Also, don't *ever* feel awkward about asking for help from other players on the ice. You'd be shocked how many guys out there were in your position of having to learn as an adult. Especially at stick and puck sessions, you can get guys who actually *love* getting you good enough to play.

I've played in a lot of community sports leagues, but it's nothing like the hockey community. YMMV, but I've found that bar none, the hockey community where I live is absolutely awesome. There's a lot of camraderie and most importantly, everyone is willing to help newcomers.

I guess it's because there's usually only one rink in town, so you see each other all the damned time. :allears:

(Can y'all tell that I've fallen in love with playing this game? I just wish I didn't have to go to work, or I'd just be at the icehouse every loving day.)

Where are you located?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Should add the player location list to the OP if you get a chance
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiScXmeJDaOidDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E

Survey for this who havent filled it out
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDJsWnlTUG5xM2trTmtFai1DQ1pHN1E6MQ

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Is there a way to consolidate the responses from the equipment survey and the locations survey into one database/spreadsheet?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hockles posted:

Is there a way to consolidate the responses from the equipment survey and the locations survey into one database/spreadsheet?

Is it too late to do the equipment survey? I don't think I ever answered it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Had my ice game tonight, scored a goal on my first shot. Haven't played in 8 years. :smug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Last night we gave up a shorthanded goal with less than a minute left in the game last night to send it to a shootout.
:negative:

Our first 2 shooters, including myself, put shots off the post. I had the goalie completely beaten and I loving crossbar it. Ughh. It ended up going 6 rounds of until one of our D-men buried it.

I felt like I was playing NHL 12. We out-shot them like 45-10 and ended up winning 3-2.

That was also literally the worst ice I've ever played on. I can't even count how many times passes skipped right over my stick. The puck wouldn't stay flat throughout the whole game, and was even worse in the shootout. 3-4 shooters just straight up lost the puck off their stick around the blue line. Glad to see my league fees are going to something worthwhile.

e:

StyleFresh posted:

You play in Roseville, right? Let me know if you ever foresee yourselves needing a sub or something, I usually work out there on weekends. And I'll be moving out there soon!

Yup! Actually, the team that is constantly short, I'm only subbing for. Since my regular team is moving up a level next season, I won't be playing for this team anymore.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 25, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Krime posted:

Where are you located?

North Alabama, believe it or not.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Yesterday I reffed (2 man system) a peewee game and a bantam game, and then played a beer league game later with one sub.

I think it was the first time in a really long time my legs were actually a bit sore after hockey.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
If any of you dudes live in Edmonton and want to join a really low-div hockey team pleaaaaase let me know. We lost a ton of players because they're busy with family and work and other boring grown up things and I need like eight more dudes or we have to fold.

You can be terrible, seriously.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How is that possible? I thought everyone in Canada was born on hockey skates and learned the NHL rulebook in kindergarten.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I can confirm that doing a 40-mile ride, with 2200 feet of elevation gain the day of a playoff game is a Bad Idea (TM). My left knee is on strike today.

Thankfully the team we played only had three subs. We outscored them 4-0 in the 3rd to win it 7-4. It's amazing the difference a full bench can make when two teams are otherwise evenly matched. Usually beer league wins are just a matter of who the "better" team is.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

How is that possible? I thought everyone in Canada was born on hockey skates and learned the NHL rulebook in kindergarten.

This is what happens when you let kids continue on when they should be held back :argh:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Teeter posted:

I think the major thing holding me back was being a pussy about going in to all of it alone but I have a friend who skated with me today that will also want to start playing, I'm just not sure if he's got the time or commitment for it down the road.

You'll make new friends by playing hockey and by definition they'll be interested in playing hockey with you.

Problem solved.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Chemmy posted:

You'll make new friends by playing hockey and by definition they'll be interested in playing hockey with you.

Problem solved.

Great thinking. I live near LA so I've actually got plans to head to the big HockeyMonkey place in Santa Ana on Wednesday to try on some skates because I'm ready to jump in to this. I'm just crossing my fingers for something that fits well without being way too expensive.

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Diverting slightly to floorballchat for a moment, I pulled out probably my all-time greatest goalie bail-out tonight. Our goalie was playing ridiculously aggressively, and he made the first save and the second save but was about 5 feet out of position for the re-rebound. Their forward has an empty net to shoot at from the slot, and puts a solid one at the centre of the net, with the ball about 2 feet off the ground.

Enter me, stage right. I was hustling back from the far corner, reach across from way outside the far post, and with the ball about six inches from crossing the line, one hand my stick like it ain't no thang, I get the blade on the ball (in the goddamn air) and send the rebound right into my goalie's hands. :smugdog: The forward that took the shot was the living impersonation of :smith:.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Teeter posted:

Great thinking. I live near LA so I've actually got plans to head to the big HockeyMonkey place in Santa Ana on Wednesday to try on some skates because I'm ready to jump in to this. I'm just crossing my fingers for something that fits well without being way too expensive.

Welcome to SoCal hockey!

If you're in orange county I'm probably not the best resource but if you plan on playing in Torrance / El Segundo / Burbank let me know and I can help you with any questions you might have.

HockeyMonkey is cool. So is HockeyGiant. Both are nearby, you might want to hit their Facebook pages up just to make sure there isn't a weekend coming up with an in store only manufacturers discount or something like that going on.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Teeter posted:

Its impossible to find on Google Maps, I think its listed as Monkey Sports or something like that, 55 and McFadden.

Not sure if he still works there, shorter guy with darker skin named Bobby, can tell him you know Dane, he'll help you out, we played together for a long time.

Can also try Hockey Giant, which is in Anaheim near the Rinks, On Katella just underneath the 5.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

D C posted:

Its impossible to find on Google Maps, I think its listed as Monkey Sports or something like that, 55 and McFadden.

Not sure if he still works there, shorter guy with darker skin named Bobby, can tell him you know Dane, he'll help you out, we played together for a long time.

Can also try Hockey Giant, which is in Anaheim near the Rinks, On Katella just underneath the 5.

Go to the hockey monkey instead of hockey giant if you can. The staff at hockey giant tends to be a lot worse and they give probably the worst skate sharpenings I've ever had.

If you can deal with a smaller selection I suggest going to Jake's Pro Shop in El Segundo. It's a few blocks from the Toyota Sports Center and I've had nothing but great experiences there. Jake sells a lot of Kings player skates and gives a drat good sharpening. It's one of the few places I miss re: playing hockey in LA.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

D C posted:

Yeah, it is burried in a industrial park and it is very easy to drive past it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sounds like my local hockey shop. They converted a garage in an industrial park into a store and unless you know it's there, you would never recognize that hockey gear is available inside.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Funkutron5000 posted:

Go to the hockey monkey instead of hockey giant if you can. The staff at hockey giant tends to be a lot worse and they give probably the worst skate sharpenings I've ever had.

If you can deal with a smaller selection I suggest going to Jake's Pro Shop in El Segundo. It's a few blocks from the Toyota Sports Center and I've had nothing but great experiences there. Jake sells a lot of Kings player skates and gives a drat good sharpening. It's one of the few places I miss re: playing hockey in LA.

I actually wouldn't recommend going to Jake's as a new skater looking for skates. Their limited selection cannot be understated and their prices will not be that competitive. They didn't even have any of the Supreme line of Bauers there for me to try on when I was trying to fit my TotalOnes and they didn't have any CCM and about half the Grafs. Unsure about the rest.

Great place to support once you know what you want and with disposable stuff, but for skates and the variety of feet out there, I'd go to the place with the most selection and variety with price as a secondary reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey drill question: I was at the rink for lunch and I saw a coach running a warmup that I want to suggest to the guys I play with, but I have no idea what the drill is called.

Setup is lining players against the boards at the blue line. Pucks are on the far boards at the blue line. Skater sprints across ice, scoops up puck, and turns around and skates back towards the line of players. He passes to the next guy in line, the puck is touch passed back to him, and he skates into the offensive zone and takes a shot on net. Returns to the end of the line.

Seems like a good way to get the blood moving and loosen up.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

sellouts posted:

I actually wouldn't recommend going to Jake's as a new skater looking for skates. Their limited selection cannot be understated and their prices will not be that competitive. They didn't even have any of the Supreme line of Bauers there for me to try on when I was trying to fit my TotalOnes and they didn't have any CCM and about half the Grafs. Unsure about the rest.

Great place to support once you know what you want and with disposable stuff, but for skates and the variety of feet out there, I'd go to the place with the most selection and variety with price as a secondary reason.

You make some good points. I just like that Jake was nice enough to ship some of Trevor Lewis's skates out to me now that I live in Minneapolis (I also appreciate that Trevor Lewis is one of the only Kings with smallish feet and has an size 8.5 skate so it actually fits me).

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
I'm jealous of the "hockey shop/store" choices some of you have. So far the only thing I've found here in the Charlotte, NC area is the pro-shop at the rink I go to (which isn't bad, just not a big selection) and Play It Again Sports (Not much adult gear). Haven't really looked that hard though... anyone in NC have any feedback regarding Fivehole Sports http://www.fiveholesports.com/ ?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hey guys, I'm still getting a lot of back soreness when I skate. It actually hurts more when I'm actually skating with a good knee bend. I know I've brought this up before and the answer was to do more back extensions. I'm just wondering if this is normal for a new skater. The only other skaters (few) I've seen that have this problem are considerably older than me.

In selfish update news, my improvement continues at a decent clip. I'm doing a much better job keeping myself low, stopping fairly reliably on my left and alright on my right. I've even started to do cross overs and apparently can bend my ankle better than most new skaters can. My sharp turns are slowly getting there, but I just can't really do them going at faster speeds (for me). Stick handling has improved in just 2 weeks with using a little practice ball and dicking around in my apt for about 5-10 minutes a day.

I wish I had the sort of natural talent that some of the new guys have, but oh well. Just wasn't blessed with athletic talent. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Do barbell deadlifts. Other than that, your body will naturally get used to the skating motion after a while.