Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Alfred Hitchcock boxset preorder is up at Amazon...and ouch.

$209.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B008DCAG9M

It's touting itself as limited edition but I was hoping for a price more in the $150 range.

[quote="DrVenkman" post=""404955367"]In fact it was a pretty cool idea and I don't know why more sitcoms on dvd didn't do it.
[/quote]

poo poo, it's difficult for most releases to have the original broadcast showing instead of the edited for syndication version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Sporadic posted:

Alfred Hitchcock boxset preorder is up at Amazon...and ouch.

$209.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B008DCAG9M

It's touting itself as limited edition but I was hoping for a price more in the $150 range.

poo poo, it's difficult for most releases to have the original broadcast showing instead of the edited for syndication version.

Eerrgh..although that does work out to about $13 a movie.

That definitely moves it from a 'must buy' to 'wait for the reviews' though. Also keep in mind that the holiday season is coming up soon after it's released, so it might end up getting knocked down further.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yup, that actually doesn't seem like such a bad price for 15 Blurays but that's assuming all the transfers are great.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kuddles posted:

Yup, that actually doesn't seem like such a bad price for 15 Blurays but that's assuming all the transfers are great.

I doubt Universal will gently caress up the transfers on the big names in this set. They won't be anywhere as awesome as Warner's restoration on North By Northwest was (well, maybe The Birds will since it received a new transfer this year in the same style as To Kill A Mockingbird/All Quiet on the Western Front) but it should still be pretty good (don't remember any complaints about Psycho)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah, I'm gonna wait to see if it goes on a massive discounted sale.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I bet you'll be able to get it for $120 or so between Black Friday and Christmas

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I bet you'll be able to get it for $120 or so between Black Friday and Christmas

Yeah, when amazon does their big fuckoff holiday blu-ray sale it could pop up there. There were some awesome deals there last time.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I did a google search and couldn't find any hits that were promising, but is there any chance anyone's heard about a Blu-Ray release of Planet of the Vampires on it's way? I'm assuming the fact that all the hits I found seemed to be people asking the same question, I'm not really holding my breath.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I got ridiculously excited when I saw a new pre-order link for Safe on Blu-Ray.com. Turns out it's not the amazing Todd Haynes film, but some lovely Jason Statham thing. Fuckers.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

I got ridiculously excited when I saw a new pre-order link for Safe on Blu-Ray.com. Turns out it's not the amazing Todd Haynes film, but some lovely Jason Statham thing. Fuckers.

Yeah it's not good. Statham plays a super badass black ops assassin war veteran turned cop who rats on corruption in the force so the other cops try to get him killed. He survives and runs away to become a boxer in New Jersey, but refuses to take a dive so the mob kills his family. This all happens before the movie starts.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Frank Oz's Little Shop of Horrors is getting a digibook release on October 9th!

Cinema Blend posted:

Here's the rundown of bonus features:

-Theatrical version of the film with optional commentary
-:siren:The Director’s Cut featuring the newly restored 20-minute alternate ending:siren:
-Digitally re-mastered picture and 5.1 sound on both versions
-"Frank Oz and Little Shop of Horrors: The Director's Cut," an introduction by Frank Oz with Richard Conway
-"A Story of Little Shop of Horrors" (behind-the-scenes documentary)
-Outtakes and deleted scenes with optional commentary
-Two theatrical trailers

The cover art is one of the laziest misrepresentations of a film I've ever seen (I'd post a photo, but my browser's acting up on me. You can see it in the above link), but the alternate ending alone makes this a day one purchase for me.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jay Dub posted:

The cover art is one of the laziest misrepresentations of a film I've ever seen

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's still one of my favorite movies, so I'm glad they're making a bluray for it.

I actually don't mind the cover except for John Candy being on it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm sure there's been plenty of complaining in this thread but man is the selection of available 3D Blu Rays on the market just awful. It is basically 80% crap that doesn't even appear to be an actual movie. There are a few good titles (I was very impressed with Tron Legacy and the Toy Story trilogy) but what a disappointment. Looking through Amazon and other sources I keep feeling that this can't be right because I've been 3D gaming for years and it's not like 3D TVs just appeared last week.

I've been on a movie spree this week and mostly I've been seeing blu rays with great quality. The Truman Show is not one of these. I love the movie but the actual film quality on the release I purchased was really inconsistent. You would see noticeable drops in quality from one camera angle to the next - and this is without all the hidden camera stuff! On the other hand Dark City really blew me away. Not for just being such an amazing film but the 7.1 soundtrack ties the whole thing together beautifully. Great visuals and plenty of extras. When I finished the movie for the first time I immediately started it again with Ebert's commentary.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I've been on a movie spree this week and mostly I've been seeing blu rays with great quality. The Truman Show is not one of these. I love the movie but the actual film quality on the release I purchased was really inconsistent. You would see noticeable drops in quality from one camera angle to the next - and this is without all the hidden camera stuff!
Watching all that 3D media must have destroyed your eyeballs because The Truman Show has got to be one of the earliest examples of what a transfer from the source material to Bluray can do. It's a stellar version. Unless you bought some terrible European reprint or something.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Piet Mondrian's Little Shop of Horrors

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I'm sure there's been plenty of complaining in this thread but man is the selection of available 3D Blu Rays on the market just awful. It is basically 80% crap that doesn't even appear to be an actual movie. There are a few good titles (I was very impressed with Tron Legacy and the Toy Story trilogy) but what a disappointment. Looking through Amazon and other sources I keep feeling that this can't be right because I've been 3D gaming for years and it's not like 3D TVs just appeared last week.

Well, the big problem is the content wasn't really being created until a few years ago so releases are limited to new movies, old IMAX films and recently shot concerts.

(On that note, track down Coraline. I don't know how it will be on a smaller screen but it was wild in theaters.)

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Just a heads up, Warner Brothers is doing their DVD2Blu program again. Trade any 2 DVDs and some money depending on the title for a Warner Brothers blu-ray from this list:
http://www.dvd2blu.com/?ref=EHEDVDBLU126

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I loved Cave of Forgotten Dreams when I saw it in theaters in 3D. It's a quirky documentary about a 30,000 year old cave so it might not be your cup of tea, but it has some really stellar 3D views of the earliest cave paintings ever found. I have the blu-ray and it looks great too (although I can only watch it in 2D with my TV).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GonSmithe posted:

Just a heads up, Warner Brothers is doing their DVD2Blu program again. Trade any 2 DVDs and some money depending on the title for a Warner Brothers blu-ray from this list:
Last time they did this I ended up tripling the size of my bluray library.

edit: too bad this time around most of the movies I either have or don't want :(

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 25, 2012

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

GonSmithe posted:

So, what exactly is the purpose of trading the DVD in addition to the $5?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They have something they can resell and probably get a few bucks for it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

TrixRabbi posted:

So, what exactly is the purpose of trading the DVD in addition to the $5?

Aside from getting a brand new Blu-ray...?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Somehow I've accumulated 3 copies of The Big Lebowski (it came in a couple different box sets), so now I can turn them into some classic western blurays.

edit: I might be forming an addiction to westerns:

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 26, 2012

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Somehow I've accumulated 3 copies of The Big Lebowski (it came in a couple different box sets), so now I can turn them into some classic western blurays.

You're missing The Wild Bunch, and the blu-ray is really loving good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

mod sassinator posted:

You say this like it was a bad thing.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
You've got to add The Man With No Name trilogy to that collection.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

ElwoodCuse posted:

How was that filmed/broadcast? drat these shows that came out in the limbo of when HD was just catching on so it wasn't really a priority.

Gilmore Girls is weird like that too. I don't think it was ever even broadcast in HD (even in syndication), and you can only buy physical DVDs of it, but digital HD versions of seasons 3-7 exist.

I'm trying to find out when HDTV broadcasting began, but as far as I can find, it was definitely starting up by the late 90s/early 2000s. I would bet that any big-ticket shows that were starting up would have had an HD master prepared just so that way they would have something to air.

For instance, Malcolm in the Middle was shot in a 16x9 frame, but they only cared about the 4x3 frame. In fact, there's a special feature on the DVD where they showcase some of the errors that occurred in the 16x9 version that they let slide since they didn't really care about the widescreen broadcast.

If MITM, which started in 2000, was produced in HD, then 21, which started a year later, definitely has one for the early seasons.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

mod sassinator posted:

Where is The Searchers. Where?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RichterIX posted:

Clearly in his queue for this sale.

How long does this deal last? I just started counting everything I want and I'm definitely going to have to wait at least one pay check.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Son of a bitch. Altered States screenshots on DVDBeaver look blurry as hell. No grain or detail, and it was shot on some pretty grainy stock. Of course, it gets praised by the sole reviewer they have, who is consistently blind. Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but gently caress, I love this movie.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

RichterIX posted:

I actually have it on HD DVD :v: I keep meaning to pick up the bluray when I get a chance.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection - Oct. 2

Eight disc set, nine movies, plus all the bonus features from the previous Legacy sets. Includes Dracula, the alternate Spanish Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Phantom of the Opera (1943), and Creature from the Black Lagoon. Creature from the Black Lagoon will be in the original 3-D, as well as 2-D. No details on price yet or formats (although, all have 1.37:1 OARs except for Creature, which should be 1.85:1).

Again, I'm waiting for the reviews, but this is a solid set. Maybe they'll do some double/triple features of the sequels at some point.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Eight disc set, nine movies, plus all the bonus features from the previous Legacy sets. Includes Dracula, the alternate Spanish Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, The Phantom of the Opera (1943), and Creature from the Black Lagoon. Creature from the Black Lagoon will be in the original 3-D, as well as 2-D. No details on price yet or formats (although, all have 1.37:1 OARs except for Creature, which should be 1.85:1).

Again, I'm waiting for the reviews, but this is a solid set. Maybe they'll do some double/triple features of the sequels at some point.

Now that right there is just bloody awesome.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

I love that Universal is going crazy with the boxsets but I wish they would stop using sleeves.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Will I be able to watch Creature 3d with a regular tv and red/blue glasses, or do I need a 3d tv? I assume it's the later, but you never know.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection preorder is already up on Amazon.

Only $111.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B008FL8OTK

Good price for a brand new boxset with nine movies.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Any word on the region code of that Universal Monsters set or a possible UK release?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Will I be able to watch Creature 3d with a regular tv and red/blue glasses, or do I need a 3d tv? I assume it's the later, but you never know.
I don't think we know the details yet, although by the sounds of it, Warner Brothers isn't planning on including the original polarized version for their classic 3D movies currently being restored so I wouldn't get my hopes up for Universal to do it differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Professor Clumsy posted:

Any word on the region code of that Universal Monsters set or a possible UK release?

Universal releases their discs region free

• Locked thread