Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I hate that Dove use a plinky-plonky piano version of The Cure's Close to Me. So depressing.

This clip sums up nicely why people let their music be used in adverts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2g9UJdH4MM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Didn't MotD use Napalm Death a couple of months back?

I know somebody who is a tech op at BBC Sport in Salford, maybe I'll see if they have any idea what's going on.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
"Tottenham Hotspur postponed - West Ham United 1H"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBUiPs1PxKo

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Never going to blame New Order for that; they made almost no money at all from that single, initially at least, thanks to The Hacienda. The die-cast sleeve it came in probably didn't help, although the rumour that they actually made a loss on it is probably not quite the truth either.

edit: back onto a TV topic, i just found out that Auf Wiedersehen, Pet is showing on the Yesterday channel (Sky channel 537) at 10am daily. One of the funniest British shows made, I think.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 25, 2012

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

I'm sure you're all aware of this, but talk of the music used in the background of montages etc has reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend who does tech stuff for the BBC.

Basically, if you ever find yourself asking if it's an accident that the music over a piece of footage is strangely (in)appropriate - the best example is playing Laura Palmer's Theme over footage of Gerry McCann - then you can be 100% sure it is not an accident, and that an editor either didn't notice the connection, or they let it through because they had plausible deniability.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Semprini posted:

The best example is playing Laura Palmer's Theme over footage of Gerry McCann

Hahaha wow! Is there a clip somewhere of this?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

No idea, I think it was on an old episode of Panorama many years ago.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
There should be a national petition to get Young Folks banned from all adverts.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqoj-pfBUnY&t=2654s

That's the first time Laura's Theme is used, followed by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqoj-pfBUnY&t=3183s

Heh.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Can we just have a moment to think about 'Would I lie to you?' and hearing David Mitchell say 'amaze balls' please?

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So I had no idea there was a new Alan Partridge series starting on Sky Atlantic tonight (!).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Junkenstein posted:

So I had no idea there was a new Alan Partridge series starting on Sky Atlantic tonight (!).

Holy drat! to the SKY program planner quickish!

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
There is a short preview on The Guardian website. Not sure if it looks that great tbh.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sion posted:

Can we just have a moment to think about 'Would I lie to you?' and hearing David Mitchell say 'amaze balls' please?

Is that repeated at some point? I missed it and can't find an episode on the Sky box until the next new one.

Edit: just saw a Go Compare ad with a countdown, no doubt an ad hyping another ad. gently caress the Earth.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Metrication posted:

There is a short preview on The Guardian website. Not sure if it looks that great tbh.

I liked what I saw of it, looks like a parody of those Andrew Marr shows. It's always difficult to bring a comedy back, though Mid Morning Matters was great, so I've got my hopes up. Shame I don't have the channel though...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone else get into the YouView trial? Got a box coming on Wednesday, which is nice as so far we've never actually had a set top box like that. Except BT Vision for a few months years ago which was pretty bad.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Akuma posted:

Anyone else get into the YouView trial? Got a box coming on Wednesday, which is nice as so far we've never actually had a set top box like that. Except BT Vision for a few months years ago which was pretty bad.

Where do I sign up?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Akuma posted:

Did you have to agree to any sort of NDA, or will there suddenly be lots of review and whatnot appearing on the net?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Metrication posted:

Where do I sign up?
Here

Pablo Bluth posted:

Did you have to agree to any sort of NDA, or will there suddenly be lots of review and whatnot appearing on the net?
I don't think I did...

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

It's closed :smith:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I look forward to some reviews appearing on Youtube.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is that repeated at some point? I missed it and can't find an episode on the Sky box until the next new one.

Edit: just saw a Go Compare ad with a countdown, no doubt an ad hyping another ad. gently caress the Earth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01k77gv/Would_I_Lie_to_You_Series_6_Episode_8/

19:00 onwards. It is Amazeballs.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I am enjoying the new Alan Partridge so far. It's not the sheer brilliance of previous outings, but I have laughed several times and will definitely be watching the next special.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Should have mentioned I'm on a lovely connection and that's not open to me.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

I'm kind of annoyed about the Sky Atlantic channel. I know Sky are only trying to differentiate themselves from competitors, but I still hate them for making a channel for exclusive stuff which Virgin/BT customers can't get.

In respect of the business side of things, I can appreciate the value for Sky to do things this way. Personally and irrationally I think they are assholes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Xachariah posted:

I'm kind of annoyed about the Sky Atlantic channel. I know Sky are only trying to differentiate themselves from competitors, but I still hate them for making a channel for exclusive stuff which Virgin/BT customers can't get.

In respect of the business side of things, I can appreciate the value for Sky to do things this way. Personally and irrationally I think they are assholes.

Nothing irrational about thinking that, Sky are assholes. I worked for them briefly and a bunch of them would call terrestrial tv "council telly" to try and shame poor people into getting sky when they can't really afford it. Disgusting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It was pretty drat amusing. Alan at his saddest.

My only complaint really is we only saw Alan, no Michael and just brief bit with Lynn on the phone.

For a moment I was thinking the brief Hospital sub plot would lead into the movie.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The reminds me of an old joke; What do you call the small box attached to a satellite dish? A council house.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe I just don't know what to do with myself without the Euros on, but there's really no need for how poor the 9pm lineup has been tonight. Three fly-on-the-wall documentaries on at once, Big Brother and something about the royalty. On one hand, it's lucky that I have Sky so there's a selection; on the other hand, living with my parents - who apparently have a keen interest in Jews living in Manchester - completely saps that selection down unless I manage to Sky+ ahead of time.

Speaking of which, did anyone see Braquo when it was on FX? I forgot I had the full first series on there, but in the space of a day, I've watched 5 episodes. What a loving intense show: it's like the later seasons of The Shield but somehow more claustrophobic. Is there a foreign language TV shows thread anywhere because between this and The Bridge, the best stuff I've seen this year has been international.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Xachariah posted:

Nah it's anti-competitive and they should be forced to licence all their channels to any carrier that wants them.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Handsome Dead posted:

Maybe I just don't know what to do with myself without the Euros on, but there's really no need for how poor the 9pm lineup has been tonight. Three fly-on-the-wall documentaries on at once, Big Brother and something about the royalty. On one hand, it's lucky that I have Sky so there's a selection; on the other hand, living with my parents - who apparently have a keen interest in Jews living in Manchester - completely saps that selection down unless I manage to Sky+ ahead of time.

Speaking of which, did anyone see Braquo when it was on FX? I forgot I had the full first series on there, but in the space of a day, I've watched 5 episodes. What a loving intense show: it's like the later seasons of The Shield but somehow more claustrophobic. Is there a foreign language TV shows thread anywhere because between this and The Bridge, the best stuff I've seen this year has been international.

Braquo is brilliant. I saw the first series was on Sky's Anytime+ service so downloaded that and now I'm waiting until the end of the second series to download those. Spiral, on BBC Four, is very similar and just as good.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Newsnight had a debate about the EU tonight, shame Nigel Farage was on it...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Giedroyc posted:

There should be a national petition to get Young Folks banned from all adverts.

I liked listening to Young Folks back when it was only in my PFM playlist. Then my manager at the time came in whistling the tune one day and told me he heard it in and TV ad.

Right then, I knew I'd never like listening to that song ever again. :(

Watching these just made me instinctively reach for the "Doubt" button.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 26, 2012

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Watching Postman Pat. Pat, Ted, and the Reverend were sitting in a boat comparing scars while an imitation of the Jaws theme played in the background. Also Ted literally just said "I think you're going to need a bigger boat."

Surely the kids that this is aimed at will have absolutely no concept of Jaws.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No, but the parents watching with them will enjoy watching something aimed at them for a few seconds. The kids won't notice.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Also, cultural osmosis can be stronger than you think.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should have mentioned I'm on a lovely connection and that's not open to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5YR12v8bMA

Should be in there.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
If the Partridge program last night was a Peartree Productions programme, over which presumably Alan would have full control, why did he leave in the bits which made him look like an idiot? Hey?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

If the Partridge program last night was a Peartree Productions programme, over which presumably Alan would have full control, why did he leave in the bits which made him look like an idiot? Hey?

He was cheap and obviously pissed off even the guy editing the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For any of you who haven't bought the Fist of Fun series one DVD yet, get it from gofasterstripe.com. It's £25 as opposed to £40 on Amazon.